long time lurker, first time posting, just like most starters, i was interested to read opinions/feedback on a rack ive been working on for the past couple years. top row is built into a skiff, MI modules became accessible to me at great prices and have been great to learn with so i filled the skiff up hastily.

second and third rows are in a mantis case, everything from data bender to the left are modules ive purchased, to the right are wishlist items. i removed most wishlist items from the mockup but things im interested in:

• bionic lester mk3
  • sloths
  • metropolix
  • planar2
  • befaco mixer
  • jouranologue ins
  • panharmonium

i understand there are a lot of sound sources already and im missing some key utilities. but what would you all recommend? attenuators? more vcas? more lfos/envelopes? i know a mixer will be needed. a filter? what am i missing?

looking mostly to make dynamic noise and explore sounds deeply with euro. not so much concerned with drums or making songs.

other gear im learning/working with are MN 0-coast that i use mostly for the lfos and random voltage generator, or fming with the osc and strega for feedback neat echoes. was thinking about getting 0-ctrl, or a some other sequencer just incase i ever made the decision TO make a song or whatever. there are some pedals too, but nothing really noteworthy.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2063133.jpg

can you please post the url of your public rack... it really helps us help you!!!

I looked but neither match up to the image - jpgs are crap - no infomatics, no click through...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

A sequencer would get things moving. Take a look at Marbles, Bloom, Mimetic Digitalis or the Vatigate + Voltage Block combo

Some FX to explore sounds. FX Aid Pro or Ghost for a great all-in-one unit

can you please post the url of your public rack... it really helps us help you!!!

I looked but neither match up to the image - jpgs are crap - no infomatics, no click through...
-- JimHowell1970

ModularGrid Rack

A sequencer would get things moving. Take a look at Marbles, Bloom, Mimetic Digitalis or the Vatigate + Voltage Block combo

Some FX to explore sounds. FX Aid Pro or Ghost for a great all-in-one unit
-- 33PO

awesome thank you! i forgot to mention i do have an sq-1 as well but its sort of busted. metropolix or stillson hammer mk2 are a couple that ive been eyeing, but i dont have the funds atm.

i understand there are a lot of sound sources already and im missing some key utilities. but what would you all recommend? attenuators? more vcas? more lfos/envelopes? i know a mixer will be needed. a filter? what am i missing?

-- itsdakota

Honestly, yes to all of the above. I'd highly recommend something like XAOC's Batumi or DivKid's Ochd. Both will get you plenty of dynamic motion. Attenuators are necessary to tame the signals, particularly randomness coming from o-coast, and you'll want to consider other functionality, such as inversion and offsetting. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA and Frap Tools 321 might be of interest. Utilities such as sample and hold/track an hold, logic, and comparators might but fun to use with the random voltages, as well. Also, I'd recommend a matrix mixer, like Doepfer's A-138m, so you can blend signals, mix, attenuate/vert to make things complex. Really great for exploring feedback, as well.

One interesting module to consider is Joranologue's Morph4 (honestly, pretty much any of their modules are worth considering). On the surface it is 4 cascading VCAs (which you need, anyways) but with cv control over some very intereting parameters that make it great for crossfading audio or cv. I'm still learning it myself, but it definitely seems to lend itself to dynamic motion. Also, more VCAs, yay.

Good luck!

I think with that number of sound sources, I'd want a 4 channel sequencer... stillson hammer is discontinued... & metropolix is only 2 - I'd look at the erica black sequencer... it can do a lot - pitch, modulation & cv per channel, midi interface and it can do random...

I generally agree with @HGSynth... probably 1 modulation source and then a load of utilities... see my signature...

definitely a matrix mixer, something like happy nerding 3 * mia, comparatot, end of chain mixer, sub-mixers, more vcas etc etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities