Hi,

I've got a few Roland boutiques that i like a lot, but would like to extend yheor usage with a modular setup. What i have now is an SH-01A, TR-06 and TB-03. For modules i own a Qu-Bit Wave, 2hp Mix, ALM SBG and an Intellijel Plog. Im thinking of getting a Plaits (probably the Knit), but not sure what else ill need / want beyind that. I expect to use the sequencers from the 06 and 03, but suspect I'll need some envelopes and sequencable modulation sources. I also like the Plog for deriving other triggers/gates from the boutiques.

Any suggestions on what might fill out a setup to complement what ive currently got? I'm definitely just dipping my yoes into the modular world and already feel like i should have done more research, so any help is appreciated.

I'd go for a full size clone if I were you.. much better ergonomics, plaits is small enough already, & you get full size knobs which are better for tuning etc...

maybe a Pams Pro would tick all your boxes, envelopes and synced modulation? as well as many other functions...

does the 03 sequencer output 1v/oct? idk...

take a look at my signature & spend some time thinking about it... especially the formula...

for utilities it's almost impossible to go wrong with a matrix mixer! and a quad cascading vca (veils clone for instance)

& you'll almost definitely want to improve your mixing from a 2hp mixer! thats much better

how are you mixing the rolland boutiques & the modules?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey @JimHowell1970, this gives me a lot to think about, thanks.

Makes sense about the full size Plaits. I definitely like the spaciousness of the Wave over the tiny dials of my other modules right now.

The TB-03 and SH-01a both have clock in (steps their internal sequencer), 1v/oct output and gate output. The TR-06 has 5 trigger outs.

I will look into some veils clones. At a glance that seems good since it also is a mixer?

For how I'm currently mixing everything I have with a Mackie mixer and so im using the sends for reverb and delay. At one point i was trying to understand if i could just use attenuators to reduce the module output so i could still mix them in my cirrent mixer (this would also let me add effects how im doing it now for the boutique's).

Your formula in your signature confirms what i was suspecting, that just some sound sources aren't going to take me far enough.

Hey @JimHowell1970, this gives me a lot to think about, thanks.

NP

For how I'm currently mixing everything I have with a Mackie mixer and so im using the sends for reverb and delay. At one point i was trying to understand if i could just use attenuators to reduce the module output so i could still mix them in my cirrent mixer (this would also let me add effects how im doing it now for the boutique's).

you might find that the Mackie is fine without any attenuation - I used to use a Yamaha module without any and it was fine... the Mackie might have a pad feature that could help - if you experience clipping then just get an inexpensive passive attenuator (they'll always be useful) - a 2hp trim would work fine - as it's set and forget - and if you still have problems then you could try the veils clone, and then if you still have problems investigate output modules - I've never had one in 7 years, though

Your formula in your signature confirms what i was suspecting, that just some sound sources aren't going to take me far enough.
-- sporkandfoon

imo, they're often the least important thing... it's what you do with them and how you modulate the signal path that's important...

have fun!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities