Hi :D

Im curious to get a complex oscillator.
I have already some drum modules and oscillators like: 4ms SWN, Ensemble Oscillator, ONA, BIA, Ultra Kick, plaits, plonk ..... and many more

I was thinking about to get rid about many modules and replace it by getting a versetaile complex vco for sounddesign and recording - with a wide sound palette and great sound.
Something that is not a signature sound module - meaning, like for instance - every patch with odessa sounds noticble like odessa in it´s soundcharacter.

Some questions are:
1. Is it worth to get a complex vco?
2. Do I get sounds out of it, which I wouldn´t get with the modules I allready have?
3. I heard about Brenso. - Can you recomment a good compex Vco to me?

Greetings

Chris

Greetings

Chris

have you thought about patching a complex oscillator with the modules you'e already got... it'll probably get you a more distinctive and different sound than buying an off the shelf one... I'd do some research on this and play around with them, at the very least it will help you narrow down what you want from a complex oscillator, in terms of the built in functionality - wavefiolder, fm, am, pm etc....

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

For my "desktop" rack, I didn't want to get a complex oscillator because I wanted the freedom that individual modules gave me as far as features and routing options.
I've recently been putting together a smaller portable rack and decided to get a complex oscillator as a way to save space. I had considered the Instruo Cs-L, but ended up going with the Cosmotronic Vortex. The Cs-L has some nice modulation routing features, but I felt it was easier to see what was going on with the Vortex. I'm happy with it (though I still prefer individual modules). The only thing I don't like about it is that the tuning knobs are big and close to the FM controls (making it easy to knock the tuning out).

The only thing I don't like about it is that the tuning knobs are big and close to the FM controls (making it easy to knock the tuning out).
-- PragmaticusMax

you could always take the knobs off... pots are usable without them but it's much more difficult to knock them out of tune that way...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

you could always take the knobs off... pots are usable without them but it's much more difficult to knock them out of tune that way...

-- JimHowell1970

I actually hadn't thought of that. I might give that a try.

have you thought about patching a complex oscillator with the modules you'e already got... it'll probably get you a more distinctive and different sound than buying an off the shelf one... I'd do some research on this and play around with them, at the very least it will help you narrow down what you want from a complex oscillator, in terms of the built in functionality - wavefiolder, fm, am, pm etc....
-- JimHowell1970

Yes, Im also tinking about to patch a complex oscillator, but I didn´t figure out how to do it allready.
I would be very glad to get some tips to do it.

The idea is great and what you wrote assure me to give it a try. I guess it´s really more distinctive, different and individual in sound - and will help to learn about it and what I want.

My first idea was to feed 2 vco´s into bastl waver. Its a 3 input mixer with wavefolding, 2 vca´s and ringmodulation capability. Like nano modules Ona + waver +a through-zero VCO. But I don´t have a through zero vco at the moment.
I also got a nordular Wyrd matrix mixer recently, maybe that could be useful.
But I guess, thats not enough? - I need something to apply crossmodulation - or maybe with some clever patching, with stackables?

Im also trying out a Benjolin V2 at the moment. I guess this is also a kind of complex oscillator module?

Greetings

Chris

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235356

My opinion
I have many of each and Im now of the opinion
that if your goal is to play tonal music, owning 2 'quality' VCOs with the normal triangle,ramp,square & sine work and one with wavetables is my preference vs owning a single 'complex' VCO.
By “quality” I mean like $$$ VCOs, like from AJH, Synthesis technology, MacBeth etc

Two VCOS + a wavetable can make some very complex sound..and all track in tune
I have come to find that while complex VCOs make some cool noises they don’t play well together w/ other VCOs when it comes to solid tonality- some earlier examples
Teleharmonic,Orgone Accumliator,Rings…
If your just wanting to make interesting sounds
there are totally fine

My opinion
I have many of each and Im now of the opinion
that if your goal is to play tonal music, owning 2 'quality' VCOs with the normal triangle,ramp,square & sine work and one with wavetables is my preference vs owning a single 'complex' VCO.
By “quality” I mean like $$$ VCOs, like from AJH, Synthesis technology, MacBeth etc

Two VCOS + a wavetable can make some very complex sound..and all track in tune
I have come to find that while complex VCOs make some cool noises they don’t play well together w/ other VCOs when it comes to solid tonality- some earlier examples
Teleharmonic,Orgone Accumliator,Rings…
If your just wanting to make interesting sounds
there are totally fine

To me a complex vco is an absolute must.

My favorite and goto is the DPO. For wavetables I use the Shapeshifter. I also have 1010 music MOK Waverazor which is very effective but a highly specialized dual vco. I also have the Bataleur by Birdkids which has dual vco capabilities.

I was using the Furthrrrr Generator and it really is fantastic, however I decided to let it go and stick to the DPO, it is when all is said and done the character that i like the most and thats ultimately what it comes down to for me, taste.

But for less than 120 euros you can get Doepfer A-110-4 Thru Zero Quad VCO SE.

With that one you can start experimenting with what you already have like the guys are suggesting.

Good luck

To me a complex vco is an absolute must.

My favorite and goto is the DPO. For wavetables I use the Shapeshifter. I also have 1010 music MOK Waverazor which is very effective but a highly specialized dual vco. I also have the Bataleur by Birdkids which has dual vco capabilities.

I was using the Furthrrrr Generator and it really is fantastic, however I decided to let it go and stick to the DPO, it is when all is said and done the character that i like the most and thats ultimately what it comes down to for me, taste.

But for less than 120 euros you can get Doepfer A-110-4 Thru Zero Quad VCO SE.

With that one you can start experimenting with what you already have like the guys are suggesting.

Good luck
-- GunnarWaage

I heard that the DPO sounds like rubber and is limited to this character. I guess its not very versetaile?

For what do you use the DPO?
Can you tell me some more of its benefits, suiting to your needs?

Greetings

Chris

Well you can make it sound any way you like, I'd say check out some videos, dual vco's are for sound design, on the other end you have something like Plaits which gives you presets. Spectral Processors are also effective when it comes to ambiance. I always do my research before buying any gear, read the manual and some reviews, check out everything you can find on youtube.

The most versatile complex VCO I have used is the Furthrrrr from Endorphin.es. It also has TZFM Through-Zero Frequency Modulation which the DPO doesnt have. I have TZFM though in some of my other ones and I don't use it much. I highly recommend the Furthrrrr.

I always do my research before buying any gear, read the manual and some reviews, check out everything you can find on youtube.

-- GunnarWaage

this is very good advice... far better than any recommendation for a module that some random person on the internet can give...

Currently asking myself the same question. Due to space constraints with my current setup I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my current oscillators with a complex oscillator module, or use my existing oscillators alongside something like an SSF Zephyr or ZPO. Currently leaning towards the latter, or just picking up a Befaco Pony for now since I could easily keep that in the rack if I change my ind later. Finding a good deal on a Cs-L might tip my hand, though.