I finally worked out a final solution for my piles of modules that aren't in racks...

I bought a 42ru rack: https://www.titanav.co/products/titan-av-42ru-19-adjustable-open-rack

I really like that this thing is on wheels, as I need to be able to roll it out of my studio when bands are in to record. I am also really happy now that I've worked out (in hidsight, the rather obvious fact) that I can mount modules on both sides of the rack - if I ever run out of space on the front. Obviously, 84ru is likely be more than I ever need, but it is there in case I do. Not that I am short on ru, but I could use it for overflow outboard gear if needed.

It is adjustable, so I can make it 410mm deep, which is plenty of room, but not too big of a footprint in the studio. I can also mount a power distribution board inside, and it is going to be easy to connect to my UPS via iec to iec.

I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone was interested in getting all of their modules in one spot.

Does anyone have any recommendations for powering a behemoth like this? I've been using microZeus for convenience sake, but want to move on. Preferably something that is modular, so that I can expand as my power needs grow.

JimHowell1970 suggest Befaco, which I'll look into. Are they modular in their design, or will I need multiples?

Also, is the TipTop Happy Ending still the cheapest way to get ears and z rails? Would it be cheaper to build my own?

I appreciate any thoughts or comments that you may have!!

Thanks, and happy beep booping!

I finally worked out a final solution for my piles of modules that aren't in racks...

I bought a 42ru rack: https://www.titanav.co/products/titan-av-42ru-19-adjustable-open-rack

I really like that this thing is on wheels, as I need to be able to roll it out of my studio when bands are in to record.

won't the bands want to use your modular??? are you trying to hide it from them? hahaha

JimHowell1970 suggest Befaco, which I'll look into. Are they modular in their design, or will I need multiples?

indeed I do... they're not modular and you'd need multiples - one per 2 or 3 rows & somewhere to mount them - shelves perhaps...

Also, is the TipTop Happy Ending still the cheapest way to get ears and z rails? Would it be cheaper to build my own?

I'd have thought that buying rails and inserts (or nuts, if you prefer) and ears separately would be cheapest - but don't know... also depends where you are etc... I think the b-company sell a knock off version that's cheaper...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

What modules are in piles outside of your current racks?

What bands are going to want to record using your eurorack modules?

While using a rack intended for 19" rack gear is an odd idea, I actually used to have a customized eurorack setup in one of mine. It worked well like that until I outgrew it. As my modular grew, I realized quickly that being confined to 19" in width wasn't ergonomic for anything over 5 minutes of noodling because I had to stand as well as bend down to reach anything not at eye-level.

I have three 19" server racks in my studio that are stuffed with my rackmount gear. They are single-sided (the posts are centered on the bases) and I simply added casters to them from Home Depot so they can easily roll when necesarry. Server racks are easy to come by in the $50 - $100 ballpark on OfferUp or whatever. I used to have the four post type (like the one you are talking about), but found it's footprint to be far to big and using both the front and back was totally unpractical.
Of course, we all have different needs and ideas. I hope this helps!

over:under

won't the bands want to use your modular??? are you trying to hide it from them? hahaha

They may, but the thought of most musicians using my modular gear is terrifying... :P

Plus, my studio is not a dedicated synth lab. Every surface/rack/shelf/piece of furniture increases the complexity of getting things to sound the way that I want them, so everything that is not being used needs to be easily able to roll out of the room. I spend my life moving speaker cabs, amps, mic stands, racks of guitars etc in and out of the studio :D

I think the b-company sell a knock off version that's cheaper...

Yeah, they probably do, and it'll likely be fine for what I want to do. I should still investigate making my own as I might be able to save a fair bit of money.

What bands are going to want to record using your eurorack modules?

Hopefully none of them. Putting shiny toys in front of guitarists or drummers is rarely a good idea. (a) they break and/or try to lick everything they see, (b) they suddenly see 'options' and want to put modular sounds into every song because x band did it. 6 months later they are still in the studio...

Option paralysis is a really problem for a lot of bands, so there is no point creating that problem for yourself. 90% of the time bands simply need to record the material that they have already rehearsed, not add last minute changes based on whim.

And you are doing them a favour too. Studio time is not cheap.

I realized quickly that being confined to 19" in width wasn't ergonomic for anything over 5 minutes of noodling because I had to stand as well as bend down to reach anything not at eye-level

Yeah, that was a compromise that I had to make to get the lowest possible footprint, mobility and co-location. I figured that I'd mostly work on approximately 15ru at standing eye level, 15ru at sitting level (30 out of 42ru), and use less accessable lower levels for shelves, draws etc.

I was originally considering multiple 10 to 15ru racks, and even bought a couple of 10ru stackable/modular racks. While I like that I can use these either stacked on their side or upright -- with the modules facing me (horizontally, like a table top arrangement) -- they are far too deep (60cm) for my liking. I am now using them for my rackmount amps, with a compressor, EQ, limiter and gate in each rack, but also as mobile power outlets over the far side of the studio.

I used to have the four post type (like the one you are talking about), but found it's footprint to be far to big

I was originally looking for something other than a 4 post rack (such as a 2 post telecom rack), but actually found this one to have the smallest footprint (that was actually my primary criterion, along with having castors). It has an adjustable depth, and can either be 51cm or 41cm -- the depth I will use -- which is nice and thin. I was surprised that a 4 post rack was the thinnest option.

While using a rack intended for 19" rack gear is an odd idea

I find it interesting that it is only online that people find this odd. 80% of people that I know in real life use 19" racks, and the other 20% are aware of it as an option or have used them before. It must be a regional thing.

Or perhaps a live use thing? Being able to pull rows straight out of the studio rack to plug into travel racks/flight cases is a huge advantage.

Using 19" racks for eurorack modules is odd. Using them for standard rackmount gear is not.
I see you like grouping your modules by manufacturer/series, As you expand, you will probably not be splitting your modular up very often.

over:under

Using 19" racks for eurorack modules is odd

I should ask a few people around here why they use them. Maybe I just live in an odd place :D

I see you like grouping your modules by manufacturer/series, As you expand, you will probably not be splitting your modular up very often.

Yeah, I am still deciding how I will do this going forward. I want to be able to play my System 100 by itself with minimum fuss, I'll probably keep my Dreadbox modules together (asthetics), but everything else will need to be rearranged. As mentioned before, I have a lot of modules that are not in racks and I'll have to find a good workflow for them. I am far less interested in these ones being grouped by anything other than functionality.

It is going to be a significant task, especially working over (potentially) 14 rows, but a fun one! :)

I got started with a cheap 12u 19" rack with a Tiptop HAK and a Neutron in it, adding more HAKs as my collection grew. Only reason I converted over to a more traditional case was because A) I found I wasn't actually using my setup very often and B) my Microcell has noise issues with ribbon cable based power supplies. I'm using it a lot more often now that I can just set it up on my bed or easily haul it over to a friend's place.
I don't see why using a big rack like this is a problem if you're already OK with using it in a fixed studio-like environment. There's no rule saying you need to fill it up entirely. The part of the rack below sitting/standing level just takes the place of a desk or whatever you'd be putting a smaller 19" rack on top of to elevate it to a usable level. They're overpriced, but you could also fill the lower levels up with 19" mountable drawers for storing gear. I've actually got my guitar pedals set up in drawers as a loop hooked up to my patch bay, but I'm having to rethink that for the same reason I wasn't using my eurorack gear as often as I'd like. I'm just not suited towards having everything anchored to my desk and PC.

I think eweryone need to follow their own path. I see nothing wrong with your setup but it would not be my choice, but who cares.

About the power, just make sure that the small 4 hp power supply modules have enough juice. Some modules take up more power and if there isnt enough you can end up frying them, i lost two modules that way. I don't like to give a lot of advice, but I would recomend that you look into using dedicated transformers.

I have been using those and they have worked really well, the guy is also very helpful. He also sells rails.

https://modularsynthlab.com/product/eurorack-power-kit-modular-synth-power-kit/