Hi all,

I have rings and beads in a POD 32 mobile set up. Having a blast, but still undecided about the best mod source for the unit.

I am torn between the Doepfer Quad LFO (cheapest but not syncable), the ever popular Ochd and the Noise Engineering Clep Diaz.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions re these or other 4hp module alternatives.

Many thanks!

I really like the Clep Diaz, but that's more rhythmic, and the Ochd would be more fun than the Doepfer.

It's synchability is not strict, of course, but that's its charm!

+1 on Ochd.

what are you going to sync to anyway?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for that, halbroome and ambientvalent. Will definitely keep the Clep Diaz in mind. Yes, I have been on the fence with Ochd, but it would certainly be an excellent addition to my slightly bigger and less mobile rig.

Hi Jim. Planning on synching it (somehow) to my Microfreak. While 32 hp is very limited, it's fun to see how much I can coax out of these for live gigs.

All the best

The new 4 hp expansion for the Ochd is awesome! Just looking at your small case made me wince that there
was no room for it if you did use an Ochd. 4 triggers, 8 waveshapers would really expand the capabilties of
the small case.

I'd seriously consider a smaller 8 hp uRings instead of the original Mutable Instruments
to make space for it -- that would also clear up another 2 hp for a useful 2HP (company name) Clk
or a 2HP Mult.

+1 on the Clep Diaz, great little LFO / Stepped Random etc

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hi Jim. Planning on synching it (somehow) to my Microfreak.

that will work - clock out ofd microfreak into whatever you are syncing to - just make sure you set both clocks appropriately... see the manuals

While 32 hp is very limited, it's fun to see how much I can coax out of these for live gigs.

well good luck with that...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

The new 4 hp expansion for the Ochd is awesome! Just looking at your small case made me wince that there
was no room for it if you did use an Ochd. 4 triggers, 8 waveshapers would really expand the capabilties of
the small case.

I'd seriously consider a smaller 8 hp uRings instead of the original Mutable Instruments
to make space for it -- that would also clear up another 2 hp for a useful 2HP (company name) Clk
or a 2HP Mult.
-- halbroome

Thanks for that! I had no idea the expansion offered that degree of functionality!

+1 on the Clep Diaz, great little LFO / Stepped Random etc
-- wishbonebrewery

Thanks for that. My only concern with the Clep Diaz is the limitation of one lfo. Otherwise, it looks like a swiss army knife for a small system.

Hi Jim. Planning on synching it (somehow) to my Microfreak.

that will work - clock out ofd microfreak into whatever you are syncing to - just make sure you set both clocks appropriately... see the manuals

While 32 hp is very limited, it's fun to see how much I can coax out of these for live gigs.

well good luck with that...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for that, Jim! I appreciate your advice!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2283244.jpg?1701213348

Thanks again halbroome. Looks interesting:)

It all depends on your goal.

• Ochd: lfos only (8 lfos with 8 different speeds linked by a single adjustable base speed).
  • Rnd Step: random only (3 potentially independent randoms, and each with 2 outputs: unipolar + bipolar).
  • Clep Diaz: only one choice among 3 possibilities: step, random, lfo (2 outputs: unipolar + bipolar).

For these modulations an external passive multiple can extend a functionality to several cv inputs...

Other options are possible.
Don’t forget the Disting mk4: a lot of functions including modulations and much more.
And two modules of the manufacturer 2hp (e.g. one lfo + one random) would also be worth considering.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thanks for that Sweelinck.

Yes, while I already have a Disting, the Pod 32 doesn't support deeper modules including the 2hp Modules. I agreee with you regarding the passive mult. I'm leaning in the direction of the Ochd, but tempted by the Doepfer as it's a 1/3rd of the price of the Ochd in my country.

Thanks sgain:)