**Berlin school oriented rack. **

The idea is to make a square rack of practical dimensions, that will be 60 by 60 approx. Cable distances are then manageable. Below each row there will be approx 2 cm space for horizontal cable guides not to have too much wiring in front of knobs.
In the middle of the rack on row 2 and 3, there is space left for vertical cable guides as well as multiples.
At the back of the rack will be 4 MIDI I/O: 2 for the Disting, 2 for the NTS1. I will be moving the power supplies to the back as well, to gain 8 useful 8HP in the front.

• Top row: 2 old school sequencers.
  • Row 2 : EDU synth from Erica Synths, with a thrird simple sequencer.
  • Row 3 : Sound path 2nd synth: oscillators going into mixer, filters, VCA
  • Row 4: Modulators for gate and CV at the left, and filter bank + built in NTS-1 at the right

Apart from the 2 main sequencers the rest is already in house.
The NTS-1 can serve as a third synth (the disting even as a 4th) , but has rather meant as FX box.
I do have a Minibrute 2S, a B2600, Model D and a Kobol apart from this, so I'm not running out of sound generation yet.

Things I might be missing are CV quantizers or mixers. I'll need to built the rack myself (especially as I want cable guides), and then discover what I still may be missing.

Things I might be missing are CV quantizers or mixers. I'll need to built the rack myself (especially as I want cable guides), and then discover what I still may be missing.
-- Ignis

definitely appears to be missing quanyizers... more mixers would also be good... probably at least one cascading vca - as it looks like you are low ion vcas compared to envelope generators - maybe a matrix mixer - and fill the left over space with other utilities...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

definitely appears to be missing quanyizers... more mixers would also be good... probably at least one cascading vca - as it looks like you are low ion vcas compared to envelope generators - maybe a matrix mixer - and fill the left over space with other utilities...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks, indeed low on quantizers. I've added an Ornament & Crime, should provide at least 2 quantizers. The disting EX can serve as 2 more if needed.

As for VCA's there are already 8 on board (1 Dual in row 2, and a Quad VCA + Dual VCA in row 3), apart from 4 EG's (knowing a slew limiter can be used as a simple EG, I might have 5). Shouldn't that be enough VCA's ?
As for mixers there is a 3-in-1, a 4-in-2, and 2 more 3-in-1 unity mixers. I may be using my external mixing panels .

What is a cascading VCA?

Thanks, indeed low on quantizers. I've added an Ornament & Crime, should provide at least 2 quantizers. The disting EX can serve as 2 more if needed.

As for VCA's there are already 8 on board (1 Dual in row 2, and a Quad VCA + Dual VCA in row 3), apart from 4 EG's (knowing a slew limiter can be used as a simple EG, I might have 5). Shouldn't that be enough VCA's ?
As for mixers there is a 3-in-1, a 4-in-2, and 2 more 3-in-1 unity mixers. I may be using my external mixing panels .

What is a cascading VCA?

-- Ignis

I'd use all 4 channels of the O&C - better to use the same quantizer if possible... and the disting for somehting else...

maybe it's enough - I tend to use a lot of vcas - for note shaping, voltatge controlled volume control and for VC modulation (modulate your modulation!!)

I also tend to use a lot of mixers - mixing waveforms from the same vco, or from multiple vcos before filtering for example...

matrix mixer, matrix mixer matrix mixer!!!! unfortunately saying it 3 times does not summon 1 - my main application for these is to take copies of 4 modulation sources and mix them together in different ratios - to get 4 more related, but different modulation sources - which are also attenuatted - almost never use full range modulation.... but they can also be used for send/return to effects and for feedback loops... amongst other things - reallt, really useful!

cascading vca - it's a for example quad vca that also mixes the outputs - sometimes the inputs and sometimes the cv - veils for example, or the intellijel quad vca...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

If I add 4HP in width, I may add a matrix mixer:
ModularGrid Rack