Hi all
I am a completely newby in the modular world...
I have a Pittsburgh foundation system to which I have added some other modules (MI braids, vpme.de qd and 1010 fxbox).
However I noted there is a huge volume difference among the Pittsburgh oscillators (which are loud) and the braids (which is low).
Both of them connected to the same Pittsburgh mixer. The volume of The Pittsburgh is almost at zero while the braid one is fully cranked but it is still covered by The Pittsburgh.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Looks like a fun rack to play with!

What do we think as this for an altrantive MN Shared System.

Radar

I was doing my own version of the 3 module challenge the other day with an FX Aid, a Res EQ, and a QPAS... feedback patches are fun. Nice work as always @wishbonebrewery!

Hi zzJKzz,

Oh come on! You got that module already? You make me very jealous ;-)

Just kidding, enjoy the module while we are waiting here in Europe for it to become available. Most likely after many years when you consider to sell it on the 2nd hand market, we might be able to start buying it here ;-)

Have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Its definitely an interesting experiment. :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hey all,

synths by Bean Jelly, drums by Disting Ex. More info in the video description. Thanks for watching.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Nice track. Definitely getting some interesting sounds out of just three modules. I might give this a shot since I am about to disassemble my current 29 module patch. ;-)

Nightlife-electronics is shipping per above; I received my 258t this morning.
I'll say the build quality is nice! Can't wait to try it.
(also, Hello from Canada, I've been lurking but couldn't resist bragging about having this already :)

We are very well on track finishing production at the moment. ETA is early-to-mid March

You've got a point here I know but it's sooo harddd because it's so pretty ^^
I agree with the aesthetic though, messy doesn't mean ugly!
I'll try to make a new one in 62 HP first, and if iit doesn't fit i'll try another version with 104hp, but I hear you on the standard HP number, that makes sense.

Take a look at ‘Synthesis Technology - E352 Drones N Stuff’, a video by DivKid on YouTube. It's quite explicit.

-- Sweelinck

Quite explicit? Mmmmm...hot sexy wavetables...

-- Lugia

Definitely. On the other hand, not to mention Ben's strong performance. So romantic.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hello, my name is Serge. I am the developer and founder of Microdoze. If you have any questions about HAWSERS, I will be happy to answer them!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I will let you know when they arrive. I'm looking forward to a Garfield tiptop/buchla report! I don't know about living in Canada, I was in the market for a buchla easel command and the $3000 U.S price became $4700 Cdn after exchange and taxes so i just couldn't justify it! I've been making do with the Arturia software easel and the doepfer LPGs, A-149-1/2, uFold, Springray, Rampage etc for euro so I'm very grateful for this affordable option. I've been watching the Barton videos on youtube demo-ing the new tiptop buchla modules. The next pair of voltage sequence/processing modules look to be very interesting. And as Lugia said, there may yet be plenty more modules to come so my new 6u 168hp case is already running out of space!

Hi Fatberg,

No way! You are making me jealous, while I have to wait till at least March, you let us know next week how these modules are ;-)

I have had it, I am going to move to Canada, period.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hello, good news. I received a shipping notice from Nightlife Electronics in Canada stating the 2 buchla modules have shipped and are arriving next week. Hurrah ...
-- FatBerg

And right on time, too! Tiptop must have some amazing shipping-fu to get all the components they typically need, given the general state of shipping right now. I'll venture a guess that the "Winter/Spring 2022" ones will drop around March/April, then the last ones just in time for summer. And remember, that's just the initial six modules; I was told that they're working out which modules to add to the line after these, and hopefully we'll see some of that before the holidays.

Indeed the use of mostly Intellijel modules comes from an obsession of having something super clean and tidy.
It's completely irrational of course, and maybe I'd gain from trading aesthetic for practicality.

-- Subaphonic

Just remember: the synth is eye-candy for YOU. Anyone else won't give a rat's about what the system looks like, even live. You need it to SOUND snazzy...not to LOOK snazzy. And, the fact is that the stranger the build looks, the more "oooooo" factor you'll get from audiences, as hodgepodge Euroracks actually have that "dangerous rat-rod" sort of thing going on. So go more for the Mad Scientist aesthetic!

As for the cab cost, the 104 is only $100 more than the 62, which to me is a pretty good bargain given that you're getting 42 hp more on the tiles and 3Us, better power, and a few extras in the ute row. They've also got Intellijel gigbags to fit their cabs; have a look at this: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/intellijel-4u-gig-bag-104hp.html The other point is that while 62 hp isn't exactly a "normal" row length, 104 hp is, and if you need more cases to fit that form factor, it'll wind up being easy-peasy to implement with the Palette 104.

Well, for starters, put the Model D back in its own case, on its own power. Using an Eurorack cab to house any full-on synth that has power and housing already is a pretty sizable and potentially expensive blunder. Even in a Uli-case.

As for the clone modules, you should look into Mutable's Beads, which supercedes Clouds. Smaller than that clone, too...which, in a smaller-sized build, you want. Also, jettison the mult(s), as...again...there's better ways to do that, namely inline mults and/or stackcables, as neither of those take up cab space but do the same exact thing.

One other problem that jumps out at me is the disproportion of audio modules vs utilities, modulation, VCAs, etc etc etc. If you keep filling the cab in this way, you're going to have a GREAT audio module complement...which you have no way in hell to use properly as you've neglected all of the support modules that let the others do everything they're capable of. Again, this is another reason why that Model D really needs to get out of there; you NEED that space!

Before revising this (and it needs it!), I would strongly suggest spending some time studying builds by other experienced synthesists to see how they deal with these basics. You might also want to pick up a copy of the FREE version of VCV Rack so that you can dive in and see how all of this should work. VCV even has emulations of hardware Eurorack modules from a number of manufacturers in its 2000+ module library. https://vcvrack.com/ Once you get something like that under your fingers, you'll start to see why each audio module might benefit from 2-3 other modulation, etc sources. Work at both, then come back to this after getting some of what you need to know to make a modular go. You'll be happier in the end, as will your wallet.

Take a look at ‘Synthesis Technology - E352 Drones N Stuff’, a video by DivKid on YouTube. It's quite explicit.

-- Sweelinck

Quite explicit? Mmmmm...hot sexy wavetables...

Hi,

Anyone knows when this will be available on the market?

thanks
ciao

Hello, good news. I received a shipping notice from Nightlife Electronics in Canada stating the 2 buchla modules have shipped and are arriving next week. Hurrah ...

Wow, thank you Lugia for your response!
Indeed the use of mostly Intellijel modules comes from an obsession of having something super clean and tidy.
It's completely irrational of course, and maybe I'd gain from trading aesthetic for practicality.
About Quad VCA, I chose it instead of Veils mostly because I've read that it has some nice saturation when you push the levels up?
About the 62 HP, it's mostly a price issue that I'm having, but also I want to be able to have a small device.
I'll keep that message you sent for the next build tests, thanks again for your time!

My first Eurorack build, so far contains clones such as Model D, Roland’s System 100m (main/basic modules-6 in total) and cloned versions of a few Mutable Instruments modules (Elements; Clouds; and Rings). Also there are a couple utility modules and a clone of Mutable Instruments Ears.

The E352 Cloud Terrarium seems to be popular for drones, I have seen it mentioned several times in that context. What is it that makes it so good for drones?

-- Exposure

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Nice! That's really right along the lines of having the Main Cabinet as well as a couple of Wings. About the only thing I could thing of changing would be to swap a 1006 for one of the 1047s. That way, you get a stereo pair of Modamps AND Filtamps, and that takes the 1047s down to a stereo pair as well.

This is definitely something I need to consider, also. I have a very fond memory of a concert by David Rosenboom back in 1968 or 69 in which he played this MONSTER 2500 configuration with TWO main cabs and THREE wings. One main was his "playable" with the dual keyboard and some EEG pickup hardware for brainwave control, and the other was for sequencing, plus he also had a telemetry receiver that picked up signals from four different transmitters inside four rather sci-fi-looking columns that audience members carried around in groups with their eyes closed (and, of course, some "minders" to keep people from slamming into the synth). It's definitely part of why I do what I do these days!

Isn't it a beauty. The real ARP 2500 had only 15 modules but this was the perfect case and it didn't come any smaller so I created a monster 2500. :D It is what it is.

You haven't missed it @funbun, we're having supply chain issues and you can still sneak on! 🤣🤣

Seriously for everyone else, real life has intervened as seems to happen nowadays, but I'm aiming to get this out this week. Will update then :)

Well, for starters, that Intellijel MIDI interface is discontinued. They now offer the smaller one in tile format, but if you need something beefier, you'll have to stick it in the 3U row.

From what I can tell, you're looking to build a modulation "auxiliary" cab that also has some FX processing. But limiting yourself to ONLY Intellijel has problems, namely that there's other firms that make similar but better modules for various reasons. For example, you've got an Intellijel Quad VCA. But the topology for that 12 hp module is pretty much the same with Mutable's Veils...albeit that the Veils gives you 2 hp back. When planning a small "mission-specific" skiff, economizing your module sizes without compromising the result (ie: controls that are too tight or too small, overcrowded panels that offer confusing indications, etc). Also, to get a really diverse collection of suitable and interacting modules will probably require more than 62 hp; I would suggest moving up to the Palette 104 instead. Sort of like...(big pause while I rev up the building neurons) THIS:
ModularGrid Rack
Bigger, true...but in this case, bigger IS better, as it allows you to build a more comprehensive set of both modulators AND effects.

The "utility" row now has your adders, so no need for that module. It also has your stereo jacks for both input and output, mults, and MIDI port. Then when we get into the tile row, you'll notice a stereo input (fed by 1/4" jacks 1 and 2) and the smaller Intellijel tile MIDI interface (fed from the MIDI port). And then things get interesting; the next thing is a dual noise generator with tilt EQ to alter the noise color. After that is your clocking...an expander gives you four CV ins to the Temps Utile, which I chose over the Pam's because 1) this fits better and 2) if you're looking to ALSO use this as a sequencer, I think it has a better implementation for that. And yes, it can clock and sequence and all that at the same time. Following that is a QuadrATT, which gives you four channels of attenuversion, mixable to a "breakable" mixbus. And then, the stereo out module, which feeds 1/4" jacks 3 and 4.

Then for the 3U row, it looks like this: an SSF Modbox has two CVable LFOs, one of which also clocks its sample and hold, plus it has yet another (uncolored) noise gen and a few other tricks. Then the modulation monolith that IS Maths. After that you'll find a Mutable Veils and a Tiptop MISO...these are intended to work together as VCA control over modulation amplitude and modulation mixing, inversion, offset and more voodoo via the MISO. Quadrax/Qx is next, and then a Make Noise ModDemix gives you a pair of balanced modulators which you can use either to manipulate modulation OR as an audio effect. Then we're into the audio-only effects with a Frequency Central Stasis Leak, which gives you tap-tempo delay, reverb, and chorus, and uses a mono-to-stereo signal path for stereoization. The Purrvrrb emulates a spring reverb, with (again) mono-in and stereo-out. And then the big kahuna there is Mutable's sequel to their Clouds granular module, the Beads. And last, since you'll have three different stereo FX sources, I put in a triple-input stereo mixer so that, if you want, you can mix the FX outputs.

Now, if I stuck to ONLY Intellijel modules here, I clearly wouldn't be able to build this. And this is typical for Eurorack; not all manufacturers have the "perfect" module selection that covers everything, so it's necessary to do mix-n-match stuff like this to really optimize a build. Anyway, this is an example of how I would approach this problem...and actually, it's similar to an actual issue I have in my "modular sandbox", where I've been considering a modulation skiff to fill in a few shortcomings in my 3.5mm stuff (Eurorack, Digisound 80, B.2600, and some other odd things). And this build is something even I would feel at home with...and I'm a fussy SOB about that sort of thing!

Hi Funbun,

No idea, how you missed that one ;-)

But don't miss this one then, this is the one of 2021 (the one you referred to is from 2020):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10830

You could check with Troux if you perhaps can add something as well or if the deadline has expired. I hope you can still make it since I wouldn't mind to recognise a few tones from your AE system :-D Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Fatberg,

No news here about the 245t, so let's see. Please let us know the status of your vendor, I hope they have better news than mine :-)

You are welcome and kind regards, Garfield.

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a regular one in the lottery. The sounds from yours are certainly in the same ballpark. I imagine a side-by-side comparison would reveal some subtle differences.

Hey everyone,
I'm planning to build an addition do my beloved moog sound studio.
I've built something mostly from Intellijel on purpose.
The goal here: have a case that's quite small (Intellijel 4U), allow as much modulation as possible and tempo division(quadrax, quad vca, pamela), and add a bit of flavour (springray, Polaris). The Mafd is an extra module to control DFAM via midi.
What do you think about it ? Is it balanced ? Is there something that's missing that would be handy ?
Thanks for your help !

Youtube Demo:

mixer focused

Hi,
If you want to know what is drone music have a look to this label:
https://www.dronerecords.de/
A record label and huge mail order catalog.
Thousands of references.
The guy running this label is behind Maeror Tri and Troum.
Have a listen to their productions.
Drone is a state of mind.

We can refer here to the music of bagpipes (wind sounds), Ravi Shankar (string sounds), and the historical works of La Monte Young (‘Trio for Strings’) who is one of Eno's references.
-- Sweelinck

I used to listen a lot of Ravi Shankar and never thought of it as drone music, but I guess you're right and it sometimes get's into drone territory, I'll check out his works again, I enjoyed them a lot at the time. Right now I'm listening to La Monte Young and it sounds superb, thanks for the reference! I've never heard of him before.

The E352 Cloud Terrarium seems to be popular for drones, I have seen it mentioned several times in that context. What is it that makes it so good for drones? I'll try out Lugia's tips, a couple of VCOs and an LFO sounds easy enough, I'll see what I can get out of it.

Hi and thank you - your advice is most welcome :).

I've been using the multi-case setup for some time already (at first it was supposed to be a 40hp FX rack!) and never encountered any issues (including noise). What I like about it is the "workflow" that naturally emerges - keeping you "focused" on the modules at hand (I typically use 2-4 cases running on 1-2 power sockets). By combining cases in different ways you discover some interesting possibilities.

Having said that, I thought quite a few times of moving to a Mantis case and may eventually end up doing it sooner or later. And I also use knurlies :).

I'm curious to hear your comments about the choice of modules (some of which I haven't yet bought, others that I may decide to sell). Just imagine it's all in one box :)

Cheers

How in the world did I miss this???

Hi,
I'd like to share with you my last jam.
The main pad is made with easter egg from one rings. Ts-L made the bassline layer by the wavefold output too. Drums from Plonk thru C4RBN filter and databender for glitches and repeats. The main melody comes from Plaits, and second one from the other Rings. Effects from desmodus versio, fx aid, and prism. Mixed on Jumble hunge.

Hope you enjoy.

I use mine to either switch modulation outputs between different modulation inputs or vice versa

why do you think you need a buffered mult? how are you sequencing - I don't see a sequencer in the rack... and you already have links... you could probably do fine with a passive mult... there's no need for exact when multing modulation or audio - a tiny bit of voltage droop will be unnoticeable
-- JimHowell1970

thanks,ahh might gonna get a passive mult instead,just to have one in the case other than the links

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I use mine to either switch modulation outputs between different modulation inputs or vice versa

why do you think you need a buffered mult? how are you sequencing - I don't see a sequencer in the rack... and you already have links... you could probably do fine with a passive mult... there's no need for exact when multing modulation or audio - a tiny bit of voltage droop will be unnoticeable

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I usually see sequential switches being recommended for systems with multiple sequencers.i record straight into reaper through the domixx.

Will order the doepfer today also gonna order a doepfer buffered mult

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

+1 on Jim's suggestion...and actually, the idea of using piles of small skiffs as a single device has a lot of potential for trouble. For one thing, that rig immediately screams "ground loops!!!". Yeah, even with DC, as the system would really need some extra ground wiring to put everything (wallwarts included) on the same groundplane and even if your power is clean, all it takes is one little grounding issue and noise WILL creep in. Or worse, let's say you have a catastrophic power supply issue in one skiff. This could easily, depending on what's misconnected or what failed, cause problems to other skiffs and their modules if something happened that allowed high-current DC onto a patch cable.

I would suggest dropping some money on a unified setup instead of this method. Fact is, a Tiptop Mantis comes in at $335, it's had LOTS of users over time with a lot of pleased synthesists, and you can join them to make a bigger 4 x 104 hp cab. And it's WAY more portable than the piecemeal one you've got currently; Tiptop even sells a custom gigbag for the Mantis. And with that, you can put together a rig with just one that you could even put on a traytable on a plane and work while you fly. That's neither advisable or viable with the current multicase build.

Without naming any names, quite a few of the modular synth build videos are VERY suspect, especially when it comes to cramming a functional modular into a small cab like a Palette 62, etc. It IS possible, but you really have to know what you're doing before attempting that sort of build. Add the wrong module, and you got bupkiss. A better use for these small cabs is for "mission-specific" builds...such as needing a specialized filter setup for incoming signals that you want to modify in real time.

Now, what I would suggest is to get a synth that's easier to learn on. You've got a Neutron, but I don't think it's quite as clear to work with as my suggestion...which would be to drop $650 on a B.2600. Fact is, the original ARP 2600 was THE educational synth in its day. It's what I learned on, along with many, many others. Even Stevie Wonder used them, with Braille markings, because it was easier to program and play than other modular choices for the vision-impaired. Once you've got some of that experience under your belt, THEN implement that skiff build, but turn it into a support cab for the 2600 that gives you extra modulation, sound generation, etc. That's exactly what my B.2600 is set up for, since I can patch anything with 1V/8va scaling and a positive trigger/gate between it and my Digisound 80 as they both "speak" that language.

But that aside, the 2600 is pretty much goofproof. You've got some internal routings that are prepatched, so you can make racket with it right out of the box, but the patchpoints interrupt those and allow you to do oodles of alternate routings or even patching between synths (like that Neutron). As "starting points", they're still unsurpassed, even in Uli's hands.

We can refer here to the music of bagpipes (wind sounds), Ravi Shankar (string sounds), and the historical works of La Monte Young (‘Trio for Strings’) who is one of Eno's references.

-- Sweelinck

La Monte Young is one of the true masters of drone. His work spans decades, and includes work with John Cale (in Young's "Theatre of Eternal Music" ensemble) who would later bring Young's ideas into the Velvet Underground. It's also worth taking several hours to check his work "The Well-Tuned Piano", which involves a specially retuned grand piano on which Young would do a lot of sustained repetition that eventually blurs into a drone. He and his partner Marianne Zazeela (who also works on light projection design for Young's works) even lived in their "Dream House", a combination of a residence and sound installation, with the drone's basis pitch coming from an amplified fishtank pump.

Another great piano "dronemeister" would have to be Charlemagne Palestine, who's also done works for electronics and pipe organ. Palestine's "strumming" method is so hard on the instrument that broken piano strings are a fairly common occurrence at his concerts. And Mazz already mentioned the beautiful and austere works of Eliane Radigue, in which everything constantly evolves toward and away from drone textures.

Also, there's a number of "Krautrock" artists who were/are superb drone creators. In that column, I'd have to mention Klaus Schulze's initial works ("Irrlicht" and "Cyborg"), Tangerine Dream's "Zeit", early Popol Vuh ("Affenstunde" and "In den Garten Pharos") and the dark and foreboding first album by Gunter Schickert, "Samtvogel". Even Kraftwerk's first couple of albums have some heavy drone elements along with really alien soundscaping.

seems a very expensive way of housing modules to me... and probably much more likely to get noise issues than with fewer cases... you'll probably also need longer cables... and lots of sockets or power strips

most of that would fit in 2 tiptop mantis cases which would cost you substantially less and be more portable as a whole - plus only need 2 power sockets... probably need fewer long cables and only use 2 bags when needing to be taken out of the house

I have 8 cases (about 1800hp in total), 6 of which are stationary - ie always stay in the studio - if I want to go anywhere else with them - including the living room, I have 2 smaller cases: a mantis and a 6u/72hp, which I swap modules in and out of - I use befaco knurlies for screws and only ever screw 2 holes per module - it's simple to swap them (mostly takes minutes) - saying that my mantis is my main video case and I rarely swap more than a couple of modules in/out of it - I really can't see the need of anything smaller - not only on a cost/hp basis but also on a portability/use basis

I always need modulation and utility modules for even the simplest patch - I would undoubtedly always need 4 or 5 of those tiny cases - and moving that many units would be too much of a pain in the ass

for example I am currently set up in the living room - mantis has 3 audio modules in it - a small mixer, peaks and a doepfer lpg - as well as a most of my video synth - the 6u has erica black sequencer, rings, veils, tides, kinks, maths, a small clock divider (used as a sub) a couple of filters and an es8 - these and a video mixer sit on the coffee table and I can wiggle comfortably from the sofa - I have multiple voices - rings is going through both filters patched as a 'mutronics mutator' ish filter - in mono: channel 1 into channel 2 - tides is going into the lpg and the clock divider and I am using peaks for kick and snare

it's great fun and would be much better with a few extra modules - more utilities and modulation and maybe another voice and some hats - all of which are in the studio - another mantis would be perfect - and leave the 6u/72hp upstairs in the studio - but that will have to wait...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks for the reply - that doesn't sound too promising! I will contact my vendor next week for an update. The sequential voltage source, 245t, is already slated for winter/spring 2022!?

and i almost forgot, thanks for your reports!

yes - the a-151 is small, passive and inexpensive and works well

Hi FatBerg,

The 258t is in Germany to be expected/estimated to be available around mid March 2022, accordingly to the website of my nearby dealer and the 281t supposed to be mid March 2022 as well but that has been moved up to mid June 2022 :-( So looks like you are much better off in Canada ;-)

For the other modules there is no estimated date yet.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thanks for answering!
Noise is with res off to, and if i use no lfo its there to.
If I use only filter + mixer i can here it when i am moving cutoff.
Funny thing I got it working. If I put filter out to mixer and vca to filter in there is no more noise. (intellijel quad vca)
Now i can go full volume and all good..: ) i dont know why this works but it does..