I agree - this shouldn't be in here.

this user has left ModularGrid

Why is this in Eurorack? Cirklon might be 3U but is not Eurorack.

I designed my own PCB, the PCB is parallel to the front panel, and all pots and jacks are PCB-mounted, no wiring :-)

did you use an existing pcb for this build or is it something you designed yourself on a breadboard?

Yes, it is quite a straightforward build, this one uses 50KOhm log pots, though I believe it could work well too with different values.

Great idea!

It looks like easily to rebuild - what kind (lin / log - ??? kOhm) of pots do you use?

That's for sure. A 2hp one is possible. And I think, 5 Ins and 2 Outs are more convenient and next time I choose for better sockets.

Thanks for that,  a 2hp one would really be perfect...

Yes, it is DIY. I build it inspired by the DIY passive OR combiner by stk (http://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-diy-passive-or-combiner) but took 6 inputs and not as discribed there I took 4.7k resistors.

Is this a DIY, personal module or something that will be available?

Yes, it's very useful and well layoutet. Like the design also.Unfortuantely I messed up the drilling of the switch holes. The 3rd one from left top, grr.

It has very smart panel design!

I proudly build this VCA myself on the Befaco workshop in Berlin earlier this year.

It's the photo from the original device. Was fun!

The last musical composition of Ludwig Wittgenstein, recorded just seconds before his death from the Tingler.

Wow! Fenix through a Culture Vulture? Any soundcloud demos of this setup, Mr Baboon?

The only effects I currently use are those built-in to my Behringer Xenyx mixer. Like Solitud, I prefer the Euro-modular solution over the Studio Outboard route. I hope eventually to have a number of effects modules in my Eurorack; tapped BBD, echo, chorus, spring reverb, etc. There have been quite a few newly released modules along these lines by companies such as Audio Damage, Synthrotek, and Flame, Doepfer also have a decent selection.

Hello world,
I've only been into modulars for a few months, but have been into music production for nearly 15 years. I'm based in NYC, and really enjoy spending my rent money on eurorack modules.

Totally! I don't visit Muff's.

I agree with nelson, a composition forum would be cool!

Alternate title: Three breasted coeds conquer Uranus with mathematics
(test of soundcloud set embedding).

Instruments used: 7 string violin, turbo Rat, Microgranny 2, Fenix

As 1 or 2 other people have said, and I have mentioned privately, I really think that there should be a section where one can talk about more general music related topics - whether about more philosophical issues, or about compositional methods, etc, etc.

On the general question about why another forum? I'm perhaps the least objective person to respond to this, but I think that people who would ask that question underestimate the number of people who are dissatisfied with the way that the mw forum has turned out. There are a few people here already who either have quit that forum, or have been involuntarily dismembered.

Yes please.

This site already has a fair level of integration with Muff Wiggler, and to be honest I think that Muff's has already established itself as the de facto website for modular synth discussion.

No doubt about that. And the MG forum is not meant to replace Muff, which would be a ridiculous and hopeless effort anyway.

MG already had a kind of basic forum functionality for a while with the discussion/comment section where you could comment on unique modules/racks/patches, so the idea behind the forum isn't exactly new.

The context sensitive discussion made absolutely sense but the implementation wasn't as good as I liked.

The new forum engine just tries to expand this functionality by adding a search function and a more common thread hierarchy and the possibility to add threads which are not bound to modules/racks/patches.
In my view this is evolution not revolution.

The goal is to merge discussions into the forum in a way 90% of MG users won't even notice while given the other 10% who care better tools to use.

Unfortunately I rushed the launch so the migration isn't ready yet (what bugs me).

I mean sure this new forum "doesn't look like an Excel® Spreadsheet" (personally I like the vBulletin look), but I really don't see anything here that Muff's doesn't already offer.

In short, making multiple general-purpose modular synth forums is kind of like making multiple modular databases; different distributions of people can yield different results. This can be a good thing, but I think the community around modulars is small enough as is.

When I started MG 3 years ago a lot people told me there is no reason to do it, because of the already established options available. If I had listen to them what would have happened?
Probably nothing!

People would still happily use their JAVA planners just because others told them that's the way to do it.
And most would accept that and wouldn't care about it at all.

I just try to improve things. This doesn't work in 80% of all times, and I never now if it will work or not.
I am sure that somewhere a kid is building the next Über-Planner, not because it makes sense, but because he wants to do it.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

This site already has a fair level of integration with Muff Wiggler, and to be honest I think that Muff's has already established itself as the de facto website for modular synth discussion. I mean sure this new forum "doesn't look like an Excel® Spreadsheet" (personally I like the vBulletin look), but I really don't see anything here that Muff's doesn't already offer. In short, making multiple general-purpose modular synth forums is kind of like making multiple modular databases; different distributions of people can yield different results. This can be a good thing, but I think the community around modulars is small enough as is.

Just my two cents.

Lonely wolf checking in! :)

Culture vulture is a funny one I think- sounds golden on some material, dreadful on others. Buchla into KSP8 is something of a constant for me.

Uh, oh! Could this be the place for the occasional babooney-tune, interspersed with incendiary wit and remarkably troll-like observational humour?

This, or a desert with some lonely wolfs prowling through.

What's going on, Solitud?
Are you gonna be opening a Euro-based online Modular Shoppe soon?
-- Adminius

No such plans.

Thread: Rack No.1

You still got this rack, Solitud?
The modules?

-- Adminius

Yep, still got all modules! The layout has changed a bit since then, though.

You still got this rack, Solitud?
The modules?

Uh, oh! Could this be the place for the occasional babooney-tune, interspersed with incendiary wit and remarkably troll-like observational humour?
What's going on, Solitud?
Are you gonna be opening a Euro-based online Modular Shoppe soon?

I need to get into pedals really. Planning on getting the ALM sbg for that purpose. (http://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-s-b-g )

Other than that, I don't really use hardware apart from my modular. My effects I limit to the spring reverb and delay already in my system. (Intellijel Springray and Modcan Dual Delay)

If I eq/tweak/compress, it's unfortunately all 'in the box'.

Would love a suggestion for an affordable compressor/limiter/eq to dedicate to the stereo out from my modular.

Thread: Change Log
  • Fixed a potential bug for the autoLogin feature
  • Renamed Discussions to Comments to make the separation from the forum clearer
  • placed a link to corresponding Forum Help pages from the Planner, Sketch a Patch and TrueGrid

Hello. Thanks for the much-needed initiative.

I would vote for a less format-specific approach myself - otherwise it will surely end up as an euro forum and the barely relevant others on the sidelines. So I am not sure how much I will contribute here, but I wish you good luck anyway.

Thread: Sup

I'll sup your noggas and raise you 4 baboon orgasms

Thread: Sup

I am the Engineer
Sup my noggas
https://soundcloud.com/theengineer-1

There are a few that I use on a constant basis, on both modular stuff as well as synths, guitars and whatever.

Evol Fucifier -- the amount of different levels of both filtered sounds, combined with multiband distortion and tape saturation is marvelous.

Earthquaker 'The Warden' -- compressor, but a much cheaper alternative than using more high end stuff. but has a nice quality and range of compression. No sidechain, but I don't use that shit anyhow.

Dr. Scientist 'Cosmichorus' -- Highly effective and versatile chorus pedal. Sounds like heresy, but I like it better than the Roland RE-501 by far

Catalinbread 'Echorec' -- an emulation of the Binson Echorec; I don't give two shits what it emulates, but it certainly is a lovely little delay pedal.

Spaceman Effects 'WOW Signal' -- Technically a fuzz pedal, but has an LFO that adds generously to the sound, overall. the sound of the actual fuzz circuit complements pretty much any synth or guitar I've run through it. Aces.

I'd like to say that I use the Eventide stuff, but I had to sell my Eventide shit a while back; and I mean, it's great -- lush, open, dynamic. If I could afford an Orville, I'd own an Orville.

Saturnworks Pedals makes a reamp box that's 70 dollars. It doesn't require additional power, and is totally transparent. It's a bit cheaper than the Radial stuff, and it's hand-built, well. I use it to run synths through the guitar pedals. It's effective, and keeps the gain differences from causing unwanted mayhem. Some pedals can deal with line-level without issue, some can't. I use this to avoid problems.

Wow Nelson, Culture Vulture, you do it with style.
I like to keep effects mostly analog for the modular and I am using an EH Big Muff for distortion.
I have an Synthoma Elkorus as a BBD chorus, that is really cool. It's a 19" device with CV ins (on the back, bummer) handmade by a guy from Spain. Somewhat noisy for picky ears but that's the definition of analog, right :) ?

On the modular site I like the Pittsburgh Analog Delay a lot and also managed to solder this Thonk Spring reverb kit.
Tapping the spring tank with the fingers in sync to a beat makes everyone around smile.

I also have a digital reverb, Lexicon PCM92. It has 700+ presets but I refuse to use any other preset than No. 1 "Large Hall", it's that great.

This is practically my default setup, use it all the time..

After getting a chance finally to play with a healthy Fenix (mine had been damaged in shipping) the last couple of days, I decided to dedicate my Culture Vulture to it. Interestingly, when I tried one with a Serge a couple of years ago, I didn't really like the combo - it seemed to make the Serge sound a bit more brittle. Sometimes that was nice, but it didn't seem to enhance the sound that much to my ears. Of course, my memory might be flaky on this.....

But damn if it doesn't sound great with the Fenix. It just seems to give the sound a little more of an edge, but still retains the Fenix sound.

Wondering about other favorite combinations that people make as their setup default....

Jeez, I forgot to implement the ban mechanism
Well, at least it won't get boring then I guess.
Maybe this is a strong marketing point: the world's only forum which has a Baboon
-- solitud

Ha. We can all get along just fine! This is an place for modular synth discussions, and there won't be any need for incendiary topics if we keep it on topic. :)

Now let's get posting.

Hi. Nelson Baboon here. I am an egocentric troll who has been banned from muffwiggler at least 50 times by now. I also own the world's only cunning umbrella, and my music can be found in various places on the internet.

-- Nelson Baboon

Jeez, I forgot to implement the ban mechanism
Well, at least it won't get boring then I guess.
Maybe this is a strong marketing point: the world's only forum which has a Baboon

What, a baboon can't be an aristocrat too?

Hi. Nelson Baboon here. I am an egocentric troll who has been banned from muffwiggler at least 50 times by now. I also own the world's only cunning umbrella, and my music can be found in various places on the internet.

Welcome 3001 and johnnn :)

I might as well introduce myself as well. My name is Jesse and I've been obsessed with the eurorack format for a little over 3 years now. Though I've ogled over modular systems in the past, almost everything I did has been "in the box" with Ableton, Reaktor, etc. Everything started to align once I paid attention to eurorack beyond the original Doepfer and Analogue Systems lines. Of course, that was 3 years ago, and what's available now in the format just is insane! I've gone from a room full of monosynths and gear like the monomachine and nord g2 to an almost all modular setup. (Can't get rid of the machinedrum!)

I'm so glad Modular Grid now has a forum, as I have spent countless hours using this site to re-arange my system, plan new purchases, and generally just get excited with new modules appearing almost every day. Solitud has created a wonderful and intuitive environment to explore this stuff.

I will be one of the moderators here, along with Wiktorian and Solitud.

You can find my scraps of module demos and detritus at:

https://vine.co/v/hmOnLvvQ15m

Looking forward to seeing this forum grow!

Hey Ryan,

Hello, I am Ryan! I'm glad to see that there's a forum here(was it always here , or just recent?) Find this site pretty cool, I really respect and appreciate how much work went into this site!

the Forum was launched today, we will see if users like it

http://www.soundcloud.com/hal3001 for my crap, not sure how to embed here.

You can embed single tracks only by just pasting the link

I do wish there was a Wiard modular grid planner! I know for the 50 people who have one....lll

If you can convince Mr. Wiard to sponsor a small system this wish can come true ;)

Hello, I am Ryan! I'm glad to see that there's a forum here(was it always here , or just recent?) Find this site pretty cool, I really respect and appreciate how much work went into this site!

http://www.soundcloud.com/hal3001 for my crap, not sure how to embed here.

I do wish there was a Wiard modular grid planner! I know for the 50 people who have one....lll

John, I remember on day one you where the very first ModularGrid visitor.
What a pleasure you are also the first regular poster here!

Hi!

I'm John Noble, and modular synths changed my life. I run The Eurorack Database ( http://eurorackdb.com ), the Fully Patched Music series of modular/experimental/analog music events in the San Diego area ( https://www.facebook.com/fullypatchedmusic ), I make some custom synth stuff like modules and cases, and I perform & record solo with my Eurorack modular as "prettyhowtown" ( http://aprettyhowtown.bandcamp.com/ ) and as a member of a couple of other projects. I also seem to have turned into a festival promoter. Life is getting really weird, and I like it that way. :-)

I've been working with Solitud since shortly after the launch of ModularGrid (my site supplies a data feed), and I really admire his talent, persistence, and attitude. He's a treasure. His music is really good, too: check it out! https://soundcloud.com/solitud

I'm Wiktorion, or Viktor which is my real name.

I live in Sweden where I run a small art studio called Studio Odessa.

I've been dabbling with modular synthesizers since I was 18. That might sound like I'm old in the game, but I'm 23 years old, so many of you are far more experienced than I! :) I've got a dreaming, hazy mind, which colours everything in my environment, especially my music; I make Electronic Shoegaze, or Dream Pop(www.soundcloud.com/vpilkington).

I also dream about modulars constantly, hypothetical systems and configurations, which has lead me to different modular system planners.

A friend told me about Modulargrid and I was instantly hooked! This is where I can see all the latest modules and plan my dream systems, or calculate power needs for my current one. I've also been trusted by head honcho Knut to keep the module library clean of gunk and duplicates, and also to keep the forum nice and tidy. Looking forward to finally get to meet you all (I've been oogling at your systems, you know!)

You want to say something very original and sophisticated, but you don't know what?

Introduce yourself, or say Hello!

Beside programming this website I always wanted to develop my own module. Since I am not an expert in electronics I teamed up with Erik, a guy who is and together we build a module we call the Gezeiten UltimaRatio.

Ultima Ratio is an intuitive playable Clock Divider, Clock Generator and Dual AR Envelope.

You can use it

• to synchronize sequencers with independent time signatures
  • as an performance like instrument when you play the divider ratios
  • to provide and distribute a stable system clock
  • to fire envelopes in a live performance to rhythmically control filters or VCAs in musically meaningful ratios
  • to mult triggers

Gezeiten UltimaRatio

A video of the UltimaRatio in the real world (with flower boxes)

I also want to thank Liis, Oli and Antje without their help the project would not be possible.

It would be really helpful if those of you guys who are even remotely interested in the module would join the mail list on the new Gezeiten Website.

So I am super excited what you people think about it!

UltimaRatio on ModularGrid

Click on View post page on a Vine video. Find it as a option marked with three dots "...".
This leads you to a single page for the video.
Copy paste the URL of this page in the markdown editor.

https://vine.co/v/MKYAt1Z6tOF

This is Rack No.1 on ModularGrid, the first Rack that started it all!

ModularGrid Rack