As I am putting my existing rack through it’s paces I’m realizing aspects that work really well and some gaps and some modules that either don’t do it for me or have yet to reveal their purpose.

Current setup:

ModularGrid Rack

I think I’d like to add CV controllable matrix mixer and more attenuverters and signal processors. Any thoughts on the additions below? Especially the 4ms CV matrix VCA, o_&_C?

ModularGrid Rack

Getting acquainted with my modules.

Patch created using a Piston Honda sequenced via Rene and running through a series of filters (Three Sisters, Polivoks, Morgasmatron) to create some rhythmic elements. Added a call and response element using an additional ring modulated output from OSC B of the Piston and a high pitched audio from the DPO fed into a ModDemix, sequenced by Rene and mixed into the Polivoks. Drums are provided by a Deluge sampler and modular audio is run through an Octatrack with a bit of FX added.

Nasty sound... I’ve been playing around with Noise Engineering Ataraxic Iteritas and it nicely fits the bill. They also have a gnarlier version the Manis Iteritas. Nifty 10 HP modules. Could add a ModDemix for even more nastiness.

Great read here, again, Lugia.

I pondered similar questions as I just recently jumped into modular. Even though I did my research, still a few things I’d do different. It just uncurled to me how big the DPO really is. Also, many cool modules are now available as micro-units (clouds, marbles, braids, plaits...). So, gotta swap them at some point. I didn’t go for a particularly small cab, but it’s quickly apparent how critical function density really is. I love XAOC in that regard is awesome with the 10 HP Batumi and Zadar.
And, yeah, mixers. I quickly learned that you’re going to want those for CV and audio separately. So one bottle neck for me is that I rely on a single triple bipolar.
Also, do you plan to integrate your system with other gear? MIDI and/or audio I/O seem to be missing (need for a dedicated audio I/O was something I hadn’t considered).

Hi,

Any opinions on the Zadar as a main Envelope generator and Sewastopol II as a main audio I/O and FX send loop interface?
Both look really nice and the Batumi I have I really like.

Coming from hardware synths with rather more predefined routing one of the appeals is the flexibility of a modular, yet that’s also daunting. Choice is great, but too much of it can be daunting. I mean the principles are clear, but do you guys/gals generally noodle around or do you go in with a clear vision of what you want patches to sound like?
I’ve just started playing around to see what I can do with each module, but I’m wondering if it makes more sense to start with a simple patch first when building a patch. That is, sequencer, sound generator, Envelope, filter, and VCA and adding modulators and attenuators sequentially. I could see how working systematically could work well. Noodling around to get unexpected sounds can be interesting, too. I’m doing the latter, as I am still exploring my new modular system.

Thread: Audio I/O

Hey, much appreciated!!

Any suggestions for such a pre-amp?

Also, I take it that my current setup with the passive summing mixer would be fine for now?

Or, those voltage variations could be seen as a ‘flavor’ to the sound.

I’ve read on several occasions that it’s not a good idea to directly route line level into rack modules or proceed the other way around. Now, I have been doing just that and didn’t notice any issues. Granted, the VCA out went into a passive summing mixer that considerably attenuates Signal and from there into a pre-Amp (ART TPS-II), so perhaps that was why I didn’t encounter any issues. But, I have fed line level directly into a Morgasmatron and that one has an input gain adjustment.

Have I just been lucky?

Funny how you picked a very similar looking set of modules to those in my “starter” rack:
ModularGrid Rack

I can relate to your questions. I considered the EricaSynths Pico DSP as a basic effects option and would’ve added it if I didn’t have the ability to run it through my Octatrack.
I would like to add Erbeverb, Phonogene, and Rainmaker to the setup, but that’s a whole rack right there.
Since you’re going for an ambient sound, perhaps get a good reverb first, so replace the Morphagene with an Erbeverb. Not that the Morphagene is bad, but it’s a grain pitch shifting sampler, which isn’t necessarily ambient focused. I think you might want to explore some additive synth options, such as the Audiospektri HG-16. You need a delay module, too.
Regarding filters, have you considered the uJove by System 80?

Yeah, it occurred to me that a BuffMult would be important.
I was looking at an Arcus Audio or the CVP-1 or, better, the MVP by Manhattan Analog.

Are there no CV modulated BuffMults?

@Lugia: thanks very much for providing helpful feedback! Even for gearhead synth nerds stepping into modular can be a bit tricky. Fortunately, this site makes it really easy to plan and there’s experienced modular users like yourself willing to help. I feel this smallish system already offers vastly different sonic possibilities than the rest of my setup. Very glad I got to add this modular synth.

http://i.postimg.cc/2SvmFQqm/1-D59-B6-E5-E1-DA-42-A3-BC45-B54-BCAB61-F33.jpg

Still waiting for a few modules (Three Sisters, Ataraxic Iteritas, Z4000 NS, Poti), but it’s all wired up with MIDI, CV, and audio cables to connect to the rest of the show. This is going to take a while to explore, but it’s clear that this is where I will be getting my strange and wild sounds from.

https://i.postimg.cc/2SvmFQqm/1-D59-B6-E5-E1-DA-42-A3-BC45-B54-BCAB61-F33.jpg

@Ronin1973: Thanks for the pointers! The Poti is now on order. I wish I had known earlier about the micro versions. Is it all from Michigan Synth Works? I have the uBurst on my radar. For Tides, wondering if the MKII or the u-Version would be better.
I honestly thought I might be ok on ENV using Pamela’s New Workout, the two ADSRs from the Neutron, Disting, and the CV envelopes from the Analog Four. I don’t anticipate this rig to deliver more than 1-2 voices.

I have arranged the modules in the rack I’m building today in a manner that seemed logical from a workflow perspective:

ModularGrid Rack

Not shown is a T-Rex Replicator, which will be housed in a separate 104 hp cab.

I’m going to use Rene, Pamela’s New Workout, a Social Entropy Engine, and an Analog Four as CV based sequencers. Additionally, a Neutron and 0-Coast will be integrated.

I’d be really interested in getting your thoughts on the arrangement of modules. My thoughts here were as follows; keep the sound sources on top and the key mixer modules within easy reach. Alls LFOs, envelope generators, attenuverters, and modulators are occupying the middle rows. Clock and sequencer on the bottom left (also the Lapsus Os, as it can function as a “master attenuator”. Filters and FX on the right with a top to bottom signal flow and the Fusion VCA as main out.

Audio will go into a Unit Audio Microunit (passive summing mixer, requires pre-amp post sum out), through an ART TPS-II, and into an Octatrack for FX and other mangling.

@Lugia: Thanks for the suggestions! The semi-modulars will stay in their respective stand alone cabs, for sure.
I do have a Keystep, but thought I’m already set with having Rene, Pamela’s New Workout, a Social Entropy Engine, and an Analog Four as CV based sequencers.
When you say configuration testing, are you referring to the arrangement of the modules or the suitability of such an arrangement for efficient patching? I have arranged them here on this site to make sure they all fit and also moved them around in a manner that seemed logical from a workflow perspective:

ModularGrid Rack

Not shown is the Replicator, which will be housed in a separate 104 hp cab.

I’d be really interested in getting your and others thoughts on the arrangement of modules. My thoughts here were as follows; keep the sound sources on top and the key mixer modules within easy reach. Alls LFOs, envelope generators, attenuverters, and modulators are occupying the middle rows. Clock and sequencer on the bottom left (also the Lapsus Os, as it can function as a “master attenuator”. Filters and FX on the right with a top to bottom signal flow and the Fusion VCA as main out.

Looks rather sparse, doesn’t it?

What will you be using it for? And how did you post the rack screenshot?

Hi there,

I’ve finally jumped into modular synthesis. I initially wanted to add a few FX to complement my pedal bank. I am into Techno and Rave and hence like reverb and delay drenched analog monophonic synth sounds.

Here is the system I am currently building (as in all modules are already here or will arrive next week):

Doepfer A190-4
Tempi
Rene v2
Clouds
Fusion VCA
Pamela’s New Workout
Lapsus Os
T-Rex Replicator
Morgasmatron
Tides
Stages
XAOM quad LFO
Maths
Intellijel Quad VCA
WMD Triple Bias
ModDemix
LdX
DPO
Piston Honda
Beehive
Morphagene
Erica Polivoks VCA 2

Additional sequencers and semi modulars:
0-Coast
Neutron
MiniTaur
Social Entropy Engine w/ CV
Analog Four CV

As I have plans for a “surplus” 104 HP, looking for ideas to complement this system.
I currently have on my radar: uJove, Three Sisters, Marbles, Manis Iteritas, and some quantizer

Thoughts?