If you want immediate satisfaction for the sounds you seem to be hunting for, I would encourage you to go with any voice module from NOISE ENGINEERING.
-- AEROCATONE

+1
Knowing that:
‘Today, we say goodbye to four of our popular modules: Basimilus Iteritas Alter, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas, and Ataraxic Iteritas’. (The Noise Engineering Blog - 08/15/2023).

https://noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/goodbye-iteritas

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

A dream toolbox. I remain speechless, and yet I regularly follow your adventures on Instagram... Respect.

An amazing video, very educational and seductive (humour is also on the program ;)
What a case! The sound examples are superb, you did a fantastic job!

@Moogul

In this case, the Piazza San Marco would be located in Berkeley and the Buchla 100 would be the name of a violin :)

Yet there is an undeniable link: the Berkeley’s Sather Tower was inspired by the Campanile of San Marco in Venice!
-- Sweelinck

And both Don and Antonio liked the number four (quattro stagioni, quadrophonic, quad function generator, etc). The plot thickens!

-- Moogul

You’re right, and I even fear that Suzanne Ciani was involved somewhere.
Believe me or not, this case is beyond us...

@Moogul

In this case, the Piazza San Marco would be located in Berkeley and the Buchla 100 would be the name of a violin :)

Yet there is an undeniable link: the Berkeley’s Sather Tower was inspired by the Campanile of San Marco in Venice!

Fine work, a piece of season...
So I thought about this other late summer atmosphere (but there, the thunderstorm rumbles in the distance):

M.R.Mis.An.Thrope: Nice and interesting minimalist willingness.

Lots of interesting thoughts and good suggestions from @HGsynth.

But be careful, you should not ideally exceed 640mA on +12V and on -12V (per each row) in a RackBrute 6U, that is to say 80% of the 800mA available (for +12V and the same for -12V, there are four separate circuits of 800mA in two rows): and this in order to leave enough headroom for voltage peaks!
However the data sheet of the rack proposed here (in MG) indicates 743mA on the row2 (for +12V), which would be very risky...

Also, you only have 12 slots in the row2, and I see here 13 modules.

Three first areas for reflection:

• A filter, you’re right, rather stereo and not too wide because of your current case (e.g. Dual Dagger, Zagrzeb, Polaris).

• An attenuator or attenuverter, Basimilus and others will really need it... (e.g. Sinc Defero, 3x Mia).

• A random, for 'generative capabilities' (e.g. Turing Machine, Wogglebug).

Other people here, more expert than I, will modify or complete these initial suggestions.

(Just because it’s more comfortable to see the setup in the thread itself. Simple copy/paste of the rack url).
ModularGrid Rack

This is a great conclusion for the trilogy. A soft landing with a beautiful melody.
Excellent idea also to have imagined this triple publication. A series maintains attention and suspense. You invented ModularFlix!
Bankable :))

A moment of summer serenity. And thank you for the patch description.

Nice sequel.
Orbit Shift, Satellite Fall... 'The saga continues'!

It’s interesting to have a live version now.
The adaptation of the bass and drums is very satisfactory.

In addition to your music, I appreciate your communicative joy (and humor) as well as loyalty to your old teeshirt.

Also, your hat :)

Intellijel Quad VCA, the brilliant and reasonable reference.

I wanted to see by myself.

Currently (08/08/23), there is a second-hand 'Make Noise MATHS V1 Silver/ Red Knobs' offered at 1100€ at Reverb. That same day, a new MATHS at Thomann (or Music Store, or elsewhere) costs 333€.
So today, we can estimate the price of nostalgia for this module at about 767 €...

I decided to preciously keep my good old passive multiple A-180-2.

I use RackBrutes. They’re supposed to have 88hp per row. They actually have 89. I always leave the extra 1hp for better ventilation.
And against space clowns... I have an adorable (fawn) pug and five cats (including two black cats, @wishbonebrewery ;)

Otherwise, I don’t know what it’s worth, but there is also this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/konstant-lab-pwr-checker

Ambient, generative. 3 modules, small case.
‘What else?’

Long and peaceful like the Brooklyn Bridge.

Congratulations on achieving this collaboration remotely! We can only applaud. Special and personal mention for the fast synth sequences (e.g. 0:39).

Hard bargain...
Our last word: FX Aid XL (6hp) + your Make Noise Blank (4hp).
Give me five!

@ModLifeCrisis If you are aiming for dreamy soundscapes EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath would be a great option. Unfortunately the module is a 16hp... On the other hand there is the pedal. I’ve been using it for a long time. And if I hardly publish anything, this time I have a little example.
O-Coast > Afterneath pedal :)

@JimHowell1970 +1 for FX Aid, and +1 for your t-shirt :))

For a little percussion: Basimilus? (10hp).
The way you have arranged your modules seems well designed, in my opinion...

I would recommend that you revisit a LOT of the beginner posts in this forum, read a LOT of manuals, and watch a LOT of tutorials before investing any money in this.
Have fun and good luck!
-- farkas

+1000

-- JimHowell1970

1000 more :))

You need to test different approaches and methods and find the best one! It's like in books the path appears under the feet of the walker)))))))
-- GregoryStellar

This is true and wise. Though, from time to time, it’s advisable to look where you set foot :)

@Delicatessen
More modestly, and to come back to a previously mentioned topic, try first the delays included in the Disting mk4. I join @JimHowell1970 and @farkas to tell you that you won’t be disappointed.

I guess you know this reference video...

@znschaffer In your opening post: ‘I'm attempting to move towards more nimble and needlepoint plucks and warm droney pads’. And a little further : ‘I'd really like some more cv modulation and controllability!‘.
So, I have two suggestions:

• Rings not being a traditional oscillator (in fact, as a ‘Resonator’, it is closer to an effect), for nice plucks and an easy tuning - you know what I mean - may I suggest the 2hp Pluck. A little jewel.

• For deep drones in motion, Zadar is probably one of the best solution today. It obviously generates traditional envelopes, but thanks to its 'loop' function and its two assignable cvs (adding the small expander Nin) you will be able to create vast complex landscapes.

I have included these modules in my setup, so it’s the experience that allows me to strongly recommend them to you.

We can encourage listeners to discover the album on Bandcamp. (NB. the links here do not seem to work on Safari - to be checked - but one can copy and paste the url, or use this one: The Silence that does not Exist). Btw, special mention for ‘Lunar Inclination’, ‘Still Air Vibrates’, and of course ‘Dimensional Wreck’.

Excellent!
Finally, serious business begins...

• Did you take note of which modules (and possibly semi-modulars associated) you used for this piece?
  • It seems to be essentially generative. Did you add some manual interventions? Any ‘tweaks’ on the fly?
    (Personally I most often keep a detailed record of these two aspects).

Bravo for the visual on the side (the video): it does not distract attention for the music.
Really nice work.

It is true that you have many sound sources here. But depending on the style of music you want to develop, and the final use you make of your modular, one can conceive or remember that this is the lion’s share. So that’s OK with me.

I often propose analogies in my comments: you own a lot of colors for your paintings, and to highlight them you need all kinds of tools like brushes, knives, sponges, masking tapes, etc.

When we equip ourselves with utilities and modulations (see the famous @JimHowell1970’s signature), we expand our possibilities. And this can even become excessive, or addictive too... So for your future addiction may I suggest, among many others, the little following selection:

Divkid Ochd (so much ‘organic’...)
Xaoc Nin (for your Zadar)
Happy Nerding 3x MIA (as already suggested)
Xodes LB5 (easy logic, absolutely useful and harmless)
Doepfer A-151 (classic quad sequential switch)
Intellijel Planar2 (it is you who become the utility)
And in any case: the Expert Sleepers Disting mk4!

I believe there is also a lack of filter modules in your setup.
From Doepfer filters to the great Joranalogue Filter 8, the choice is vast to complete your lonely QPAS. Without forgetting a proper Low Pass Gate.

As always, should you or any of your tracks, patches or videos be caught or killed, ModularGrid will disavow any knowledge of your actions :)

About acid/house there's something that might interest you here, the ADDAC107 ‘Acid Source’: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/12346

If you put it that way: yes, you’re obviously right! The A-160-2 (or even the A-160-1) may be enough.

I started with the A-160-2, which is an excellent module. It remains in my setup as a complement to Pam.
The A-160-2 costs around 100€. Pam costs about 300€. But you can multiply its power by 10 (BPM based clock, more divisions, a multiplier, probability, highly perfected Euclidian, microtiming for swing, oscilloscope, etc.)

If you have to wait a little before investing, no problem, make that choice :)

My best advice, and without hesitation: Pamela’s Pro Workout... ;)

@wishbonebrewery I have been using Morphagene and Nebulae for 2-3 years. No noise problems (fingers crossed). I remember @Lugia telling me not to put them near internal power supplies, exactly for that reason.
See also this information given by Make Noise (January 19, 2018) in Lines

Thread: DivKid ochd

I have been using Ochd for 3 and a half years (January 2020, thanks to Jason/Signal Sounds), this little guy takes place in 60% of my patches. I use 2 Lfos outputs on average (so do I underuse it? ;) but I sometimes use up to 5 or 6 outs at the same time. A very ‘organic’ module as someone said... I confirm.
Ah, Ochd tells me to pass on to you that he is Batumi’s best friend.

(This was just for a modest reminder of the good reputation he deserves...)

I am looking for a mixer modul with around 4 inputs that are panable with a stereo out? I am open for ideas.
-- DareDenis

Doepfer A-138s.
Don’t look any further.

A musical instrument can inspire musical works and even the music of all composers during a whole century. The invention of the piano ('piano-forte', the power of expressing nuances) has inspired a century of romanticism. The harpsichord alone could not have offered this path.

But human beings can also individually create their own path with the same tools. Debussy and Rachmaninov had the same piano but their music was totally different.

Things are not one way.

Someone once wrote that among the best musical spirits of our time should be included the creators of electronic instruments. He wasn't wrong.
Only the modesty of people like Bob Moog or Dave Smith (Dieter Döpfer or Emilie in the modular world) could contradict this statement.

Too close proximity between the 5HP RackBrute power module and the internal power supply part of some mixers can generate a noise/tone. I’ve experienced that. In this case, you just have to move them a little bit apart.

A general definition may also suffice.

Great work on the design of this patch! Your House Jam took me back to the end of the 80s :)
The ‘second summer of love’ and the years that followed were a truly creative and sincere period.
The good old days.

Modular, it’s both very simple and very complicated.
It’s like a wedding reception: you can choose the venue (a dream case), you invite whoever you want (some cool modules), each can be placed ‘just about’ anywhere you like but be careful: you have to make sure that everyone will have enough to eat and drink (power requirement), otherwise you'll spoil the party!
Ah, also, anticipating the outs in the ins, being far-sighted ;)

@Trismus For your 1U modules, whatever the brand of rack, you can think of the 1U to 3U format changers from Xodes. Like this one for example: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-fc313-28hp

@JimHowell1970 London and the few places I've mentioned are linked to so many of my memories of the 70s and 80s. Concerts, studio sessions, meeting all sorts of nice people, and even... camping (in the East London suburbs, because it was cheaper and above all a wonderful vestige of 60's philosophy, cool :)) Having said that, I agree, London, which is an extraordinary city, is not the whole of England. Like Paris, for France, London is 'the eye of the duck', as David Lynch would say: when you look at a duck, you look at its eye, even if it's not the whole duck. I played on stage for the first time in Margate in 1972 (piano, not modular). My heart belongs to Kent.

@JimHowell1970 is very kind in responding so often to requests for advice. Really. He's one of the mainstays here now. However, I'm going to take the liberty of contradicting him on one point in particular: this case thing, that... Mantis.

Yes, there's the price of the case and the relationship with the number of HPs available. But a case isn't just that: there's also its overall size, its materials, its solidity, the power supply, whether or not it has 1U rows, whether or not it can be linked, the general style, etc. And it's the same as with the modules, with the way they're choosen. As with modules, there are the technical features, there's also the emotional connection with the whole object, or even a brand.

4 years ago, I hesitated between several models of cases and the Mantis quickly became my first choice, but in the end I opted for Arturia's RackBrutes. This is a personal choice. The most important thing is to feel good about it. And there's nothing chauvinistic, I'm French and I prefer London to Paris. Ah... Wardour Street, Leicester Square, Baker Street, Hyde park, Speakers' Corner, and the best hot dogs in the world (there should be a thread about this)!

Encore une vidéo intéressante et pédagogique.
Je rejoins volontiers les compliments de @toodee. Précédemment, vos descriptions du Klavis Twin Waves Mk2 m’ont permis de mieux appréhender ce super module ; et finalement de l’accueillir dans mon setup en complément d’un autre macro-oscillateur plus renommé, Plaits.
(...’Il faut rendre à César’).

Another interesting and educational video.
I'm happy to add my voice to @toodee's compliments. Previously, your descriptions of the Klavis Twin Waves Mk2 gave me a better understanding of this great module; and finally I decided to include it in my setup as a complement to another more renowned macro-oscillator, Plaits.
(...’Il faut rendre à César’: wink in Gallic language of the famous biblical quote ‘Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's’. Underlying meaning: to give credit where credit is due... ;)

Thread: 2hp Play

You can find more information in this thread: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10666

@MCGM Very clear description and extremely interesting comparison!
@HGsynth Thanks for this hijacking. But after such an answer, yes my friend, we unfortunately need both :))

Since I don't hear anyone coming, here is a proposal on the basis of your indications. But beware, others are much better at this than I am. I hope for your sake that they will come to our rescue.

ModularGrid Rack

Bravo, Champagne! We are free. And 'Private' is a clear enough term. Well, one could also imagine 'Just married, do not disturb', but I'm afraid that would arouse more curiosity :(