A wave folder/wave shapers with other good stuff.
Straightforward build, but there are a lot of parts.

Sounds great, some interesting things that I didn’t dive into completely, but you’ll have fun with this.
I’ll admit, I like it more on lower notes that higher, but both are good.
Build

An interesting little module. It uses a passive infrared motion sensor(PIR) to turn off, or on, a signal path.
Probably not something you’ll use a lot but could have unique uses.
BTW, this is apparently a limited production run of 100, and I think they’re sold out.

Build was super easy, barely an inconvenience. But you can learn about PIR sensors!
Build

A 8 step sequencer from Synthrotek. Has some interesting output routing, and works reasonably well.
It is a wide beast, if you’re tight on rack space you may want to get a narrower one, even if it’s less capable.
Did have some missing parts again, and this time (a week and a half after I emailed) I haven’t heard back from them.
Assembly is straightforward, and it is a fine unit.
Build

Another EDU module from Erica Synths that I’ve built, this is their Hi Hat version 2,
Moderately difficult build for close component placement and soldering near other components, not a first kit.

It sounds really good, a very nice unit.

And as always with these modules, the manual (which you can download for free without buying the kit) is superior, a great practical guide to electronics for music.
Build

A recording sequencer, you play notes in, it will play them back. Has rests, glide, etc., and 3 outputs, which you can assign to any of the 8 sequence slots in the machine.
Mostly surface mount pre-installed, so the build is pretty quick. Only issue I had was I needed to file the push-button holes on the front panel to prevent the switch handles from binding, not a big deal.

Pretty good little unit.
Build

Following up on the two Random Source/Serge filters I did a while ago here’s their resonant equalizer.
Straightforward build, but you MUST look at the build guide, there are some components listed on the circuit board that ARE NOT actually installed.
Sounds good, equalizes as you would expect, and has some crunchy resonance. Only potential drawback is that it is a wide module, if you’re tight for space you might want a narrower eq.

Build

A waveshaper today. Very fast build, mostly surface mount already installed. Was missing a power header, but I had spares.

Very interesting folds, a nice unit though I didn’t do the Bias function correctly. Well worth it, and a great first kit.

Build

A trigger manipulator. Feed it one trigger, and it will “burst” output a selectable amount of triggers, with different patterns and intervals. Many other ways to manipulate, divide, or multiply triggers.
Straightforward build, though lots of parts like many Befaco modules.
And an interesting unit, lots to play with!
Build

Retro game and other bleep and bloop sound module.
Straightforward build, though there was an incorrect part that I had to replace (Synthrotek offered to replace, but I had already ordered a replacement, they offered me a discount on next kit, which was nice).
Fun sounds, not melodic but could be effects or accents in a piece.

Build

Erica Synths has a series of educational modules for learning about electronic music generation. This is their kick drum version 2.
A very good kit. Easy to build, and sounds good. Would be a fine addition to a rack.
Even if you don’t buy the kit, I recommend you download the user manual, it’s a great practical guide to electronics in music.

Build

An interesting unit based on a research paper, creates long-period (up to 30 seconds) to audio range oscillations.
Straightforward build, and interesting uses. If you want some chaotic voltage changes, some evolving over a food bit of time, this is a unit for you. I can certainly see it in a drone or background underlay.

Build

An interesting unit using “new-old” East German germanium transistors to create some unique fuzz effects.
Simple build, but make sure you look carefully at the picture to install the transistors correctly.
And it does what you’d expect, provides some good fuzzy output, with variable feedback and fuzz. Fuzz also has CV input, an LFO sounds good with it.
Great atmospheric effects possibilities.

Build

A filter based on the 2600 from the seventies and uses the LM3900 Norton opamp chip.
Straightforward kit, would be good 1st or second kit.

And sounds great, good modification options also.
Build

A random pattern generator with a number of options, also include a classic clock divider. Interestingly has no (zero) control or CV input outside of the clock trigger, wonder why?
Very easy to assemble, and not too few parts, and not too many parts, for a first or second kit.
Works exactly as described, and an interesting unit to add some random rhythm or arpeggiation to your tunes. Probably would be fun to mess with live, too.
Build

A bass/kick drum module from Herbs and Stones.

Almost all surface mount pre-installed, so very little to the build. Super easy.

Sounds pretty good, and has some interesting CV inputs for main parameters. Also, it uses a ridiculously small amount of power (like 8 milliamps in my test) so would be great for a power-limited skiff,
Build

Another one from Djupviks Electronik, a broken delay and no-input mixer.
Very simple build, mostly surface mount already installed so you just need to put on jacks and stuff.
Sounds interesting, though I will admit I did not do the demo full justice, go to their site for a better demo
Would be a fine first kit.

Build

A Euclidian LFO. Uses the Euclidian functions (search for the math if you’re inclined) to add beats between intervals, and in this case has 4 outputs all handling things a little differently. Most similar euclidians just output trigger pulses to run sequencers, this one has modifiable waveforms, which you can use with a seq or much more CV targets.

Simple to use in basic manipulation but has many more waves and other functions that will allow you to go way deep if you want.

Mostly surface mount pre-installed, so a simple build.
Build

A locking feedback delay based on the Princeton tech delay/echo chip.
A very good build, not too easy, not too hard. And a great sounding unit, I will be abusing the heck out of this one.

Would be a perfect first eurorack kit!

Build

A multi-purpose module, shaper, VCO, envelope, slewer, and maybe a few more.

Build is straightforward once you figure out the the build guide pictures are for an earlier revision of the board, NOT the 2.0 in the kit. Might be frustrating to a starting builder, folks, update your build guides when you update your kits.

Works OK. Not as aggressive a shaper as some I’ve done, and the VCO is interesting. Does produce nice envelopes. Could be perfect for you.

Build

A module based on the Yamaha FM voice chip YM2413 included in many game consoles. Modulated voices and a drum kit alternately.
Straightforward build, nothing too unusual.
Sounds OK. I don’t know how I’ll integrate it into the studio, but might be just your taste.

Build

A versatile VCO/LFO.
Mostly surface mount pre-installed, so an easy build.
VERY simple to calibrate, and seriously accurate across voltage ranges. And the signals are very straight, no jaggies or steps.
Audio range down to multiple seconds between pulses, very useful. Sounds fine, coupling it with a good filter would make it pop a little more. Overall a nice unit.

Build

Very simple one today, a passive 3 input/output mute. But since I'm committed to building every kit on the planet, nothing gets left out.
Very quick build, vid is only 12 minutes long.
Could be very handy when you want to bring things in and out of a mix without having to mess with (and remember) volume settings or whatever. And very narrow at 2 HP, so an easy fit.
Build

A nice little sequencer from Robaux.
Pretty straightforward build, could be good for a beginner as 3rd or later kit.

Lots of power and options available. You will want to spend time learning the modes and button presses, it’s not too complicated, but you do need to get used to it. Would be great in a performance setting after you’ve practiced with it for an hour or so.
By the way, mostly a single camera build cuz my side camera got confused.

Will be going in my main rack.

Build

Ginkosynthese Compressor kit build and demo

A diode compressor from GinkoSynthese.
Pretty good build, but not much documentation so not a beginner kit.

Does some interesting compression, and would be a good addition to your audio chain.

Build

This is an awesome unit! Even better than the VCF-Q.
Another Serge resonant filter from Random Source. Not just an interpretation but licensed from Serge to be as authentic as possible.
VERY important to read the notes in the build guide and notes in the list of materials, there are components included that you usually will not install though you have the option to, read carefully.
Other than that, the build is straightforward.
HIGHLY recommended!

Build

A Serge resonant filter from Random Source. Not just an interpretation but licensed from Serge to be as authentic as possible.
VERY important to read the notes in the build guide and notes in the list of materials, there are components included that you usually will not install though you have the option to, read carefully.
Other than that, the build is straightforward.
And the unit sounds very good!

Build

I like this one quite a bit, think you will also. And having a double saves rack space!

A dual filter with self-resonance.
Straightforward build, quite a few parts.

And when done it sounds great, this is a nice unit and since it’s a double will save you rack space with good sound. Recommended.

Build

A visual voltage level monitor, attenuator, and mixer from Molten Modular in partnership with Befaco.
Two surface mount parts to solder on, but not tough ones. The rest of the build is straightforward, I’d call it an intermediate kit.

The result is visually appealing, and a great way to monitor voltage swings, my demo with an LFO shows how useful I think it would be for that.
All in all a nice kit, the first from Molten, we’ll be looking for more!
build

Herbs and Stones took their groove box and made it eurorack capable.
Not much to the build, this is mostly a surface mount kit and all the SMD is already done. So just pots, jacks, and LEDs.

Getting the front panel on was not a breeze, I think they need to look at the height differences between the pots and jacks they use, but in the end it fits.

Long demo section, since I was learning about the unit and the build was so short. The internal clock did not seem to work, but it took external clocking just fine.
OK unit, not sure where I’ll use this.

Build

Thanks for the info, I'll give the cap mod a try if I get a chance.

Two filters in one, though they can be chained. This is a passive device, no power used (think - same thing as the tone knob on your electric guitar).
Relatively easy build, through there were two nits about the boards fitting together and the knobs, but overall fine.

Sound-wise, it’s OK. Passive, so not a whole lot of activity, but does produce some mellow filtering. Not going to be in my main rack.

Build

This is a very powerful new unit from Neutral Labs. 4 wavetable driven voices, a delay unit, a low pass filter, two LFOs, accent, a sequencer, envelope, and their special crunchiness
Driven either with external gating or with the capacitive touchpads not eh front.
Way deep, my demo, were I only scratch the surface, is 30 minutes.

The board has all the SMD components pre-installed, you’lll just be putting a LOT of jacks, pots and switches on. Be aware that there are many tiny SMD components very close to where you’ll need to solder, so you should be a proficient builder to do this kit.

A very fun and dense unit.

Build

A 3 group multi of one in and 3 outs, or single multi-9 outs if you only use the top input, or 1 in 3 out 1 in 6 out if you use the top and middle in, you get the picture. And a little signal adder at the bottom
The build is super easy, barely an inconvenience. Just solder 16 sockets and one power connector and put the front panel on and it’s done.

Good quality, though I did get some noticeable (on the scope) lag between the original slope and the multi’d slope, but I couldn’t hear the lag.

Excellent first kit if you’re just considering DIY module building.
Build

A voltage and milliAmp meter for your rack. Gives you at-the-moment insight into the power draw of a module (or set of modules) so you can insure you’re feeding the right amount of power, and also validating the manufacturers specs.
Handy when you’re pushing the limits of how much stuff you can put in a rack section.
Mostly surface mount already installed.
Build

An oscillator in the style of the VCOs in the TB-303,
Pretty good build, lots of parts. Did have some issues getting the board mating pin headers to fit well, this has been updated in later kits. You’ll have to refer to the bill of materials instead of the build guide for a few component positions.
But overall good.
And it sounds very good, a somewhat long demo section. Best thing is that you get all 4 waves on their own output jacks all the time, interesting possibilities there!
Not a first or second kit, but not too bad.

Build

Needed a small Eurorack power supply for an upcoming project, so I picked up this one from Frequency Central.
Very simple build, and good stable power when you’re done. Good unit, and a great first or second build.
Build

My build and demo of this unit. very nice little beast.

A wave folder and distortion unit (with a mixer) from Shakmat Modular.
Very simple build, most of the components are surface mount already installed, so a quick assembly of the rest.
Fun sounding, and lots of possibilities for wave manipulation and blending, a good sounding little fella. Recommended

Want a few noise generators, with many configurations, chromatic responses, filters, and so on? This is the module for you!
Lots o’ great sounding noise.
The build is long, heck there are 110 resistors to put on the boards. And, this one is a little trickier to solder than most, Befaco really packed the board tightly. Intermediate level at least, don’t build this as your first.
But sounds great, and lots of things to mess about with.

Build

A 4 LFO module from NOH Modular. Actually 8, since each LFO set outputs a triangle and a square wave (why no sine?) at the same time. Also, you can mix two LFOs together, creating interesting waveforms, and their’s a DAC to sum out on/off signals based on the edge state of the 4 LFOs.

Simple build, all SMD already installed. Would be a good first build.

Build

A mixer, patchbay, inverter, and attenuator.
There are about 50 surface mount resistors in this kit. SMD resistors are about the easiest to do, so don’t let that put you off if you haven’t done SMD, this would be a good module to get experience.
Then a ton of regular resistors, LEDs and switches. Nothing too difficult, just a lot of parts.
The unit works well and is very useful Multiple ways to route thins, and the inverse signal for, say, an LFO is very handy.
A good unit overall, recommended.

Build

A fun filter from Cubusynth.
A interesting option in this one is the simultaneous output of low pass, high pass, and bandpass signals, so one could mix all three together in interesting ways from the same sound input.
Also allows you to play ring resonance as it’s own chromatic semi-VCO.
Straightforward build, lots of components but not hard.
Fun.

Build

Frequency Central's take on Electric Druid’s wavetable oscillator.
Nice sounds. And it includes an LFO, some good portamento, good CV controls, and more.
Straightforward build, nothing unusual about the build. Lots of parts, but not hard.

Build

Another LFO, this one from Cubusynth.
4 outputs, each with different rates (and changing available ranges by swapping capacitors).
Very simple build, would be a great first module. All surface mount pre-soldered.
Only has a triangle wave, which is a bit limiting. Also, I found that the peaks of each LFO were not quite in sync (see ‘scope traces during the demo) which isn’t perfect.
Overall a good kit.

Build

Vector-Wave synth kit from RYK Modular build and demo.
This is an all-in-one synth module with VCOs, LFOs, envelopes, filters, MIDI mods, and so on. A very deep unit, you should probably check their demo video after mine if you like it.
Not the easiest build. While all the surface mount parts are already installed, the solder pads for the LED matrix, jacks and buttons are VERY close to the surface mount parts, you need to be VERY careful with your soldering to not touch or short to those. The unit would benefit from more space.
Powerful unit as an all-in-one.

Build

Nice 4 output LFO (master LFO and 3 outputs divided from that master). Knob for speed or sync to your clock source.
Not going to be my primary because it doesn’t have a sine output. But a useful LFO with some randomness and many waves and divisions to select from.
Pretty straightforward build.

Build

A clock divider from Frequency Central with 4 sub-clocks, which is pretty useful.
Straightforward build, nothing challenging, good mid-level experience ,
And the unit has tons of functionality, I only touch on some during the demo (if I had a 4 input scope I’da covered more, gives me an excuse to buy one). Look at the manual on their web site for all the details, there is a lot going on with this.
Good utility module.
Build

A VCA, tone generator, and ring mod unit.
Very simple build, mostly surface mount pre-installed, a few things to solder.
Sounds really interesting, a very good addition to your rack.

Build

Straightforward build, though probably not best for your first or second. No surface mount.
Needs calibration, and you’ll need a scope, frequency counter, or good tuner to calibrate.

Works well, both for straight quantization and for interesting arpeggios with, say, an LFO as the voltage input. All in all a very useful unit.

Build