Yes that's a fair point; This is what I'm finding atm

The main clock as such starts at Marbles but then goes into Bastl Kompass so that's six different sources of randomness..

LFO's can come from Maths and the Buchla TT can go down to LFO rate. I can see how more would be beneficial

I like being able to patch separete modules to each effect but having something external to simple provide an overall reverb might be nice as this is generally what Z5000 is doing

Something I like doing is manually tuning VCO's against eachother to create dissonace so it's good to have a few voices

So to explain, I've been building this for a couple of years ago after I got sober. I guess I had to spend all that beer money on something :-)

I get lots of different results from up beat sequences to very dark atonal oscillations through to ambient self-generatives. Should I add another effect unit, or maybe some modulation? Let me know your thoughts

Ok cool >Thanks

ModularGrid Rack

First question. How do I attach an image of my rack? :-)

Simple question not answered by trawling google.

Does anyone know of a replacement silver front panel for a Rings clone?

I know this might be a daft question but looking for some feedback in terms of my journey through all this.

I guess I've been pursuing the idea of adding more and more modules in a kind of 'how can I make this next one work with EVERYTHING else'.. and eventually ending up with a complete mush of nonsense. And as a musician and producer of a couple of things I really should know better but it hasn't really clicked with modular until just now that I don't have to use EVERY module all at once just cos they're all nicely lined up in a case.

I've been having a good evening just mixing say 2 modules together, and then trying 2 others to see if I can compose something musical (in the harmonic sense of the word as I'm not opposed to discordant random noise either).

For example like many people I imagine, its been very hard to integrate Subharmonicon into anything because it's so challenging to tune. But isolated and quantized it becomes a very different animal capable of some very versatile melodies.

So how has other people's journeys been? Has it been a case of trying to throw it all together like me or more of a thought out process of 'less is more' sometimes..

Thanks Jim, that's a really useful reply and gives me some modules to explore. Just to add, I've been developing an ambient style random glitch rig alongside this one but this is very specifically for exploring polyrhythms that still lock to a fixed tempo. So for example there could be at any one time 7 different time signatures running, all modulated for colour and character. I guess in some ways like Steve Reich created a number of years ago.. And not dance music.

I've been on a modular journey for a while now, just tweaking and exploring but it's come to me that I want to create certain music I hear in my head that I can't create on other hardware instruments, which is perfect! New music!!!

I'll check out a few of the things you've mentioned and see how I get along

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the Arturia drum machines and didn't get along with them. I'd like to keep things minimal in one case.

I'm know I can use PAM's for other things but why not use them to sequence everything to a specific tempo where there are multiple units running in polyrhythm?

Hi

I've got 24HP left in a particular rack and I want to add some drums. As a drummer myself I'm going to be very focused on something that I can tune and tweak and that will sequence easily through Pam. I'd also like it to be simple for performances i.e able to drop out kick / snare / hats etc on the fly

I don't mind single modules or a complete unit but I can't go above 24hp

Any suggestions?

Thank you! I'll study this later for sure

Yes when I said VCO I meant into the 1V/OCT. So the O/I goes to the 1V/OCT. (sorry to ask these seemingly simple questions but I have a very tight budget so any extra purchase has to be really thought through)

OK I can see that in principle. I guess that leaves quite a bit of experimentation for clocks from Pam's..

However how does the sound then get from PP to a VCO?

I recently acquired PP and Brains. I read some where (that I can't find now) that I could make PP sequence all 12 steps across the 3 sequencers by using a Doepfer A-151V Quad Sequential Switch, thus expanding it from it's usual 4 steps. Is this correct and if so, how would I patch it please?

Thank you!

Hi Jim

Thanks so much for the detailed answer. I think I need to go back to the books and the tutorial videos! I've always liked the look of the Doepfer gear. Seems they offer a lot of value in simple units.

I'll also take a look out for Stages

Russ

HI

That's really helpful thanks. Just watched a demo on the FX Aid and it doesn't do too much more than the EHX Cathedral I'm using atm. That's actually really good to know!

I've looked at the Starlab before. Seems quite epic and quite an investment. Probably worth it though.
I also have a WASP on the way so that's given me confidence in my choice

Modulation and Utilities. Anything you could recommend?

Perhaps even a looper of some kind

Yep I know about the cables and I don't have an aversion to them, however its the spread of cables that clutters everything as the pedals don't fit in the rack. So by consolidating I'm keeping everything in one place rather than here there and everywhere

I'm looking to add reverb, delay and anything else that gives a sense of depth and space. I have a 6U Rackbrute that has the bottom row free at present. That's 176 and then maybe 60 spare up top. Forgive my slight vagueness but I'm not near it atm

Hi

Total newb here. I've been messing around with the 3 tier Moogs (Mother, Sub and DFAM). Having lots of fun! As a guitarist also I've been wiring up effects pedals to each one, a simple in and out of the jack sockets. I really like the ability to change the sound of each module whilst still having them sync'd and it makes a huge difference to my sound

It's getting quote messy with different bits of kit so how could I create a similar thing in my rack? i.e where I could route separate modules to separate effects, perhaps in one effect module or a collection of modules with a small-ish footprint. I currently also have a Maths, Marbles and Quad VCA, using the Mother 32 as the primary oscillator.

I know, I know.. my rig is missing so many things but I'm on a tight budget and just finding my way. When I see something for a good price I buy it and figure 'hey, I'll learn to use it properly at some point!'. It's taken me a good 18 months to build up to this point and the main thing for me is to get interesting results fairly quickly. I still struggle with the whole science of modular so any help is appreciated to get some more interesting ambient and musique concrete sounds

Tnx!