given the amount of time I do spend on this and the other things I also have to do on xmas eve - no...

-- JimHowell1970

i would never ask for that time, again thanks for time and efforts you all, much appreciated, I don't want to bother you longer

happy xmas

honestly? i am not sharing my rack because i don't want to waste time discussing every single choice I have made so far.

PS no idea what you mean by "edge/threshold" - unless you mean a comapator or envelope follower!

-- JimHowell1970

you didn't even have the time to check on google what an edge/threshold module is, i can imagine how deeply a whole rack would be analysed.

Besides I have already shared half of my rack in a former thread where the answers all ended up being like "hey dude, everybody has his own vision, i can't suggest you any module for your rack since we have different opinions, tastes and workflows, what works for me could not work for you, and vice versa".

Seriously, wouldn't have been easier to answer the question on the first post? straight and easy.

I only needed a few modules to look at for inspiration, or a few suggestions i could use to narrow down my own researches on the modular grid database, but at this point, accounting all time I would need to type my replies (I am not even a native speaker) maybe I better check again the whole database by myself without any suggestion.

anyway, thanks everybody for the time you used to reply on this thread, have a merry christmas / winter break.

a balanced modular tends towards this:

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities
-- JimHowell1970

depending how you count these, I would say my planned rack is not too far from your proportion, depending on how you would count a PAM or a O&C or a Threshold/Edge or many other modules with multiple functions, maybe i should browse the utilities section again and see if i find inspiration there. maybe some crazy utility module at 4/6 hp with a reasonable amount of no-nonsense trig ins, cv outs and vcas, or potentially even bigger if it also brings a 2 channel audio mixer might do the trick of adding more potential automations

...patch cables go from input to output hence an optimised system should ideally have the same number of these, no matter which modules are included...
-- Dan_ogq

I disagree. for me an optimized system is defined by other aspects than than the relation of I/O's
- most important: can i achieve the audible results that i want?
- is it ergonomic or is there room to optimise by rearranging some modules?
- is it performable the way that i want?
- is it easy to get every module perfectly in sync without struggling with missing clock ticks?
- do i have enough headroom with my power supplies?
- is my lightning ok regardless where my rack is located?
- is there any audible result i want to achieve but not possible with modules i have?
- is it easy for me to find/grab the right patch cables?
- etc.

those are a few of my thoughts to optimize my personal rack...

-- modular01

just one more point to tick, i don't see why one should exclude or be considered more important than the other, after all, my extra point is just about adding more automations.

Conversely, I notice that my Tetrapad has 8 outputs... and no inputs.
No inputs? Nightmare! I have become the module and my fingers are the cables...

-- Sweelinck

i don't think knowing I have that particular module would be relevant to the question, signals are signals no matter where they come from.

the reasoning is quite straightforward, patch cables go from input to output hence an optimised system should ideally have the same number of these, no matter which modules are included.

I have checked my system and there are 90ish inputs and 60ish outputs, and as because the audio signals already converge into one stereo/mono output (more or less), what's left out is just unused cv inputs (plus maybe one or two triggers).

i think this is a situation many people can relate to, but I would like to explore solutions other than just stacking and duplicating modulations... for instance rectifiers seems quite a cheap and interesting solution

a note about the ochd: i love the idea behind this module, but i would rather have 4 only lfos but with a reset input and knobs to tweak the frequencies...

there's no need to use every input or output...

it might be a good idea to share the url of your public rack so we can see what you have - it usually helps steer the recommendations a bit...
-- JimHowell1970

there's no need to patch everything, but I would have more potential combinations available...

also, the question is about modules, not about racks

please feel free to mention any modules you know might do the trick, better if it's a small one, let's say 6hp max

Hi all,

I realised my current rack has a lot more inputs than outputs available. I used to keep track of cv and audio signals too, but nowadays quite a few modules can handle both types of signals

Anyway, I was wondering which modules could help to balance the rate, I mean, if I could get some good module out there to do the trick, apart of the ones that just duplicate signals, in 6hp or less if possible.

I bet probably a few of the CV modulators on the database could do this (audio signals converge into stereo/mono outputs in any case) but I don't know if I am missing a good module which incidentally has more outputs that inputs.

Any suggestion?

We often suggest a utility module like the 3x MIA:
-- Sweelinck

good suggestion, it would probably pair perfectly with the Twin Waves...

besides, do you mean you sell modules? you probably know lots of modules... please continue adding modules to the thread

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.
https://www.twohp.com/systems/picnic-basket

So the first and best suggestion will be to buy some blank panels (1 or 2HP), really. Not very exiting but much more comfortable.

• Sweelinck

I know what you mean, as you can see all modules from their drum kit lunchbox are already on this rack. Thanks for the suggestion Sweelinck, I will probably add some space in between but without buying any blank panel for the moment. In future I will decide if keeping or replacing them, I mean I like how they sound and they are so small that they allow to add for more modules but I would like a little bit more variety. I would probably add up some dedicated effect or swap it with an analogue drumkit, if I find something that fits, in the future...

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.
https://www.twohp.com/systems/picnic-basket

A small-format macro oscillator like Twin Waves or Beehive (a 8HP clone of Plaits) would be welcome in a small box to complete your Threshold.

Finally I’ll add an attenuverter/attenuator, and probably remove Jam Jam since you have Pam’s.
-- Sweelinck

interesting oscillators, but I would have to add more clocks and mixers and effects to include more voices, and there's not enough room. Definitely not something for small portable systems (actually I was thinking if adding a couple more voice, but on the drum side, like a double voiced percussion like bongos or something like that, but still, I would need extra clocks and mixer inputs, so.... )

I agree maybe I can remove the Jam Jam from this rack for the prosecution of this thread as it might be seen as redundant, however I can't understand why you would add an attenuverter/attenuator. May I ask you to explain why it would be something useful to add to this particular setup?

I originally started out thinking that I would be happy with Euclidian patterns for Drum sequencing but I quickly found I wanted more control so added a Roboux LL8 and later a Beatstep Pro. Is this someting you've thought of or are you completely happy as you are as you already have a lot of trigger options?
-- wishbonebrewery

You caught me again, I do have an extra module for Euclidean patterns 😁 but I am on the opposite journey as I got tired of classical sequencers and I am more interested in generative music now. That's why one option on the table is also to get extra modulations, I would get a second PAM PRO but I don't like duplicating modules. Maybe I can find something similar, like 2 or 4 extra PAMish channels of CVs modulators, but I still haven't checked if there is actually something like that around (and the PAM PRO itself is quite new).

I'm guessing you have other gear, synths, sound modules etc?
And bear in mind that closely spaced 2hp-sized module are very hard to use once they are patched and close to other modules.
-- wishbonebrewery

you guess right. it's my first system and I ended up with some extra room to fill

I think the issue you say about the 2hp drum kit it's not its real problem with me, since once a CV is patched to for instance to the Pamela, the knob underneath doesn't really need to be moved again. But yes, those 3 can stay together but can't be placed every where, you are right

I am not sure if adding more effects to the drum kit or replacing it with something bigger like for instance the LEPs, not necessarily right now, I am not taking new modules every month

Hi all,

Any idea about potential next modules from a system like this?

What would you get to fill the rack?

Thank you in advance to everybody

Dan

Hi!
you can find info about jumpers position here:
https://doepfer.de/a100_man/A160_2_jumper.pdf
However the Doepfer site say this: so far the custom mode is not yet implemented and for future firmware versions a custom mode is planned that can be selected by means of two unused jumpers (probably inverted gate output mode or inverted trigger output mode)

-- Amenbreak

Thanks for the link, that's exactly why I have opened this thread.

I have tested the custom mode of my brand new clock divider using LED pin jacks and it looks to me they all light up and down as inverted triggers indeed, so I was wondering if someone else knew how to move the jumpers around to get something more useful out of that setting...

Hi all!

I have just realised my clock divider custom setting generates inverted triggers. Is there a way to move around the jumpers and get inverted gates out of the CST setting without affecting the other two settings instead?

Thank you in advance for any advice