Thread: first baby

Nice! The Echophon is a lot of fun as a delay and has a pitch shift function on the delays...
Have you posted any stuff online made my your modular? Would be interesting to see / hear.

This is very helpful. My rack has been growing from 6U to 12U and I'm going to need to think more about module placement. What you've suggested here is what I've also discovered for myself. Controllers lower left, oscillators/filters up top, effects down right (with output).

Not better or worse, but they all do sound different, even within the same category. That's why there are so many out there! And many have different functionality too, as people have said.

People really love the Dixie ii+ for example (as do I).

Complex oscillators and digital ones sound quite different, too. Check out a demo of the Loquelic Iteritas! Or Braids!

The Sub37 is an incredible synth, but it's not 100% the best for integration with a modular, mainly because of (a) it's form factor (it's big and it will be hard to fit it next to your modular); (b) its lack of CV out's; (c) its limited CV in's. It's neither modular nor semi-modular, so while it works great as a stand-alone synth, you can't really integrate most of its functions with the modular in a fully satisfactory way. Of course, you can use your Sub37 with your modular and I'm sure some people do--it's just not ideally suited for that use.

(Note: I have a Sub37, a Little Phatty, two Moog Mother 32s, and a growing modular.)

It really depends on what kind of music/noise/exploration you're trying to make and what you want to do. What would you use the Sub37 to do? That's the key question in terms of whether / how to integrate it.

You could get a Midi to CV module and use the Sub37 as a controller, but it's a pretty big controller and you may not be using much of the functionality of the Sub37. Are you going to have your modular in a case in front of you?

Personally, I find it easier to leave my Sub37 to the side (it's in a completely other part of my studio) and use it for other things. The Mother 32's on the other hand are perfectly designed as a way to get into Eurorack. They easily integrate into a modular set-up and are great value for money. They are small and can be put into a case with your other modules, or can sit to the side. To get a similar number of modules (sequencer, keypad, LFO, VCO, VCAs, mults) would cost a lot more. They can also work as a great extra oscillator for your Sub37 and have a MIDI-in.

So, I would also recommend that you consider getting a Mother 32 and seeing how you like it. You may end up selling the Sub37 or you may end up keeping it -- but probably for non-modular use, I would expect.

Good stuff! Like it very much.

I've put up a few videos of some pieces performed live on a modular Eurorack synth. Atmospheric, spacey things.

Here is the rack used to make them, although it is constantly evolving:
ModularGrid Rack

Great stuff! What is this amazing degree that requires that you make patches using MakeNoise modules??? I never did anything so fun while studying!

Thread: first baby

Looks fantastic! Wonderful, compact set-up. Looks to me like you have two voices (if you want them), tons of CV modulation possibilities, VCA's, etc for such a small set-up. It's fantastically well thought-through for such a small set-up and would have lots of possibilities.

If I were to add something, it would probably be in the way of controllers (a small sequencer, or a Pressure Points) and effects (delay/reverb/granular). That's just because 95% of what I do involves a sequencer and 100% of what I do involves effects/processing. A Disting mk3 might open up a lot of possibilities with such a small format like this.