Thread: RYO Penta

I am really curious about the panel that has recently been added to RYO Penta here on MG. Grayscale? Wonder if it will be available for purchase sometime?
-- some_dude

panels available from synthcube fren :)

Well, I worked out a version of this, but I know very well that it would be far more capable if you had a few more hp. If you've not bought a case yet, I'd strongly suggest going with either a Tiptop Mantis, or if you intend to gig with the synth, perhaps something from Case From Lake would be suitable. For example: https://www.casefromlake.com/product-page/9u-eurorack-case-powered-or-not-84-o-104-hp-patched-resealable-modular-synth That comes in at EUR 435 while the Mantis goes for EUR 338 (per Thomann), but what you get is three rows at 104 hp in a portable cab, 4 AMPS on the +12 and 1600 mA on the -12, and the ability to spec additions to the case (such as adding a tile row, more length, etc). By going with something on that scale, you increase the space for the critical modules to put together a serious generative system. Right now, the 2 x 84 hp setup doesn't have enough space to do that, unless you dedicated most of the cab to those functions...which also isn't a desirable result, as it'll cut way into your "voice" capabilities. Have a look at CFL and the Mantis, and I think you'll see how and why either one is superior.

If you can get an original plaits, I would as they will not be available for very much longer due to Mutable shutting up shop... It looks like last batches (of beads, plaits, ripples and) are still to go out - they've not officially been discontinued... also Emilie gets paid - unlike the b-company version...

also I'd go with the bear matrix mixer... slightly better ergonomics (important when trying to get to tiny trimmers)... 4 output channels (not 3 and a sum)... & the bi-/uni-polar switches (so you can subtract as well as add)...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Are any of the AMS modules ever available in the marketplace?
-- nordengine

Try the link. Otherwise, the reason that these are scarce is because you're dealing with an industry that manufactures modules in short production runs, and if one of those is a killer device, it'll be even harder to snag. Best suggestion would be to get on the waitlist, because that'll help AMSynths to figure out how many of those will be viable in a subsequent production run. Too few, and we're back here...but too many can spell trouble for a small module maker's economic viability.

Dunno...but this is: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-s-143 Up to 16 steps, various jumpered settings that you can bring to the surface with their P-060 switch expander, plus it's internally quantized. Oh...it's got pattern memories, too. But the big point is that it's about $75; the RYO sequencer is $120.

Quadrature!

The End-Of-Rise gives you a trigger when the terminal value of an EG's rise is hit. So, let's set the four rise/fall parameters to something that approximates a triangle wave from an LFO. Next, connect the EOR on #1 to the Trig input on EG #2, and so on until the #4 EOR loops back to #1's Trig input. With this, each EG outputs a waveform that's delayed by the previous EG's arrival at the EOR point, which results in a 90-degree "phase" shift between each EG's output. And once you've triggered this system once, it'll keep doing that until hell freezes over!

Why? OK...consider this one: take your quadrature outs and mix the 0 and 90 degree together, then do the same for the 180 and 270 degree EGs. Send the resultant mixed outputs to a pair of, oh...let's say Intellijel Polarises...control inputs. Now you have a pretty bizarre bit of stereo phasing going on, almost acting like an autopan but no autopan could sound THIS nuts! Note that you have to use the 90-degree angles here; combining 0 and 180, etc. will just result in phase cancellation.

As for EOF, it's super-useful for chaining EGs to create a complex composite modulation signal. One ends, starts the next, etc. Then just send the result through a DC-coupled mixer and you get super-varied LFO behavior. Or you can use the EOF in some generative functions to fire off the "next" set of parameters, and as long as there's a feedback loop (not acoustical feedback, mind you) that can keep right on going, and other modules can then modify the individual EG parameters depending on which EOF has sent a trigger. You could actually wring two signal paths of this sort out of a single Quadrax/Qx!

Right now, I'd say that the Quadrax/Qx combo is one of the best module sets in this regard, but the newer Tiptop/Buchla 281t also can do this...as it's got built-in quadrature outputs for the A+B and C+D outs.

Thread: Enough VCAs

You of course DO realize that, if you made the lower row a set of modulators and voltage sources, what you'd have there is a pretty substantial analog computer.

So, I created two racks with a matrix mixer inside.
In the first I swapped Brains with an original Plaits to gain 4HP.
Here I use the Bear Modules Matrix Mixer.
ModularGrid Rack
In the second one I keep the Brains (I like the display) and go with an AI Synthesis AI008 Matrix Mixer,
which I think should be ok for my little case. So I would prefer the second option.
I like to keep the Black Stereo Mixer because I love it :)
ModularGrid Rack

Are any of the AMS modules ever available in the marketplace?

The Klavis Caltrans will let you transpose/change octave or semitones in steps, but it's much more than that! also an autotuner and calibrator with 4 channels.
I have one, if you are into tonal music it's a total game changer

Hello,

I have been playing my DFAM and Subharmonicon for quite some time now and have had a lot of fun. I now want to start to complement these two synths with a Eurorack case.

Except to be a complement to the DFAM and Subharmonicon i also want to start to build an instrument that focuses on a lot of random elements and that can be played and performed well in a live setting. I will use my computer with a DAW for effects for now (Why are effects modules so expensive!?). I really like music that builds up over time, from a very slow basic almost naked rythm and melody to an epic peak and then back again. Think cinematic climaxes like in "Interstellar", "Black Panther", "Jurassic park" just to name a few. Not all examples are typical synth music, but just to give you an idea of my "end goal". If there is an end to the rabbit hole that is Eurorack? :)

I have looked at so many modules, instructive videos, read articles, watched performances and so on, to the point that i'm a little bit confused. So please help point me in the right direction.

Here is the he screenshot and I will give my reasoning, with my limited/basic knowledge, of why i have started to lean towards these modules below the image. I will also point out a few faults that I don't know if I need to correct. I have limited myself to one row of the case to start with. alt text

Pam's new workout:

Honestly, one of the coolest modules I have seen. What doesn't it do? I also feel that it will be very good when I expand my system. For a while I was leaning towards using this as my main sequencer. One negative is the menu in a live setting. I feel that it would take a bit of pre planning and setting up the outputs beforehand.

Maths:

Complements the DFAM and SubH very well with a lot of modulation that the Moogs are missing. All around a great source of modulation with many applications.

Quad VCA:

I like this VCA because it can be both linear and exponential, have four channels and can work as a summing mixer.

Plaits:

With the DFAM and SubH I already have a lot of voices. So this one I'm a little unsure about. But I like it because it's a very flexible voice that is very easy to modulate with random elements to get real cool sounds out of it.

Qbit Chance:

I fell in love with this one as soon as I saw the first video of it in action. So many sources of random modulation with built in attenuverters that I think will pair REALLY well with especially the DFAM.

Qbit Bloom:

One of the more fun pitch sequencers that suits my needs very well. I think it should play extremely well in a live setting. Easy and very direct configuration, can turn a simple sequence to quite complex real fast and back to the original equally fast. Everything can be CV-controlled and can be used on two voices at once.

Mult:

Hey I got 2hp left and a mult will always be useful.

Glaring issues:

1. With this initial buy I will only have the filters on the Moogs. Which of course will be useful. But to not have a basic filter dedicated to each voice feels kinda bad...
  2. I have no mixer except the Quad VCA. Honestly, I don't feel this should be much of a problem initially, but that can be my limited understanding speaking.

Thank you for reading this far. I would love any feedback, recommendations on different modules and pointers in the right direction.

Cheers from Sweden!

Peace,

Peremil

I got this one about a month ago: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-t43
It's smaller than Beast's but has many types of switchable offset voltages (they can be combined) and two voltage inputs to transpose with. It only has one single output though.

To be honest I mostly use the octave switches, that gives the most ear-pleasing results, so I kind of understand why ALM went with this design on their module.

For 'experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff' you will need many modulations. In a small case, DivKid Ochd (8 Lfos in 4HP) is worth considering.

The Ochd is great and on my wishlist ;) Waiting for some second hand one popping up.

I looked up a few matrix mixers now. From the looks and build quality i would prefer the Doepfer A-138m, but it's quite huge in 20HP. The next ones are the Bear Modules Matrix with 14HP and the AI Synthesis AI008 in 10HP but "only" 4 in 3 mixer with a seperate sum output.
From those three i would say the Bear Matrix is the best option, but than i'd have to swap my Black Stereo Mixer with a A-138s, which i think is too small. The AI008 looks a bit confusing from the layout to me...

A VCO with a built-in Attack/Release envelope that you can use, or use your standard enveloping.
Quick build. Does not have the presets I expected, just one, but it’s programmable.
OK sound (not quite to my taste) and reasonably small.

Build

I am really curious about the panel that has recently been added to RYO Penta here on MG. Grayscale? Wonder if it will be available for purchase sometime?

this user has left ModularGrid

Used Queen of Pentacles enjoy

Looking for some discussion/inspiration for using EOR/EOF (in general mostly...but I have Quadrax/QX Expander). What sorts of things does everyone use EOR/EOF for in your modular music making?

JB

Thread: Enough VCAs

planning ahead for my first rack, what do you think? should i go for 104hp instead?

Thank you very much for the quick response

but you won't fit that in until you realise you need another case... (note I'm not telling you to get a another/bigger case)

This made me smile, but of course you are right.

otherwise reasonably balanced

I am glad to hear that, seems that my long studies on here are showing effect ;)
A matrix mixer seems very interesting, but do you think of mixing cv's or also audio ? Should i toss the Erica Synths Stereo Mixer out, too ? Than i could put in a Doepfer A-138m, or are there better (smaller) matrix mixers out there ?
I think with a matrix mixer i can toss out the A-183-1 Dual Attenuator, 4HP more space available, or keep it ?
The Happy Nerding FX Aid looks great, too. It can do multiple effects simultaneously, or not ? But it's hard to come by used, and new fairly expensive. I'll think it over.

Some basic remarks although I'm not the most 'expert' here.

For 'experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff' you will need many modulations. In a small case, DivKid Ochd (8 Lfos in 4HP) is worth considering.

The A-180-2 can easily be replaced by passive multiples like Black Market Monomults or Tiptop Stackables: you will save some space. You can even replace it by a buffered mult which is very recommended for a better distribution of the v/oct signals.

Concerning the empty 4HP, a recommendation often shared: the Disting mk4, the famous Swiss knife of the Eurorack.

To conclude, but you will need a little more place, listen carefully to the NE Demodus Versio. This is a tool that may be suitable for your musical orientation. A flexible and modern module with the possibility to change the firmware.

PS: a larger case... sorry :))

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

this user has left ModularGrid

And for me finding the sequencers that mesh well with me has been part of the fun and challenge. So far I’m liking the combo of the Eloquencer with Erica Synths Black Sequencer with a WMD Performance mixer, utilities and few drum modules with a couple voices for bass and melodic stabs.

It would be a real beast if at least one of the adders were not fixed to octaves but variable within an octave, even better, if both channels had a tiny extra knob for fine tuning 1V/oct
-- luchotron

Sort of like this? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-quantus-pax-silver You'd have to have some DC offsets to use as your transposition voltages, but this not only handles those individual inputs and mults your primary CV input, there's a circuit that can transpose the entire module's CV complement.

I can only assume modulargrid is your outlet for being a condescending douche.

-- Precarious

Dude...calm down. Take your meds...or SOMEONE'S meds. Whatever works.

...and of course, there's Erica's MScale module. The problem is that the Moogs can and do use negative CVs for pitch. There's ways to get around that that don't involve an extra module, but they can also be a PITA.

Even with the Matriarch being used for modulation signals, you're going to come up short in terms of capabilities. Fact is, a far better way to judge if a build is going to work would be simple math: your "voicing" modules (VCO, VCF, etc) should only be about 1/3rd of the build, while the other 2/3rds-ish are your "supporting" modules. As for the...uh...whatever is going on with those 4ms Listens, allow me to hip you to THIS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-8-channel-stereo-mixer Yep...eight stereo-ins, takes up far less space. And there's a hint there...

If you rework things here so that you have more functional density in your modules...without compromising the ergonomics, natch...you'll find more space opening up, just as with this one module. And the price will come WAY down as well.

personally

I'd want more utilities - more mixing - specifically a matrix mixer - I think they're incredibly useful... especially for deriving more complex related modulation from the modulation you have... but you won't fit that in until you realise you need another case... (note I'm not telling you to get a another/bigger case)

it's also a bit cramped for me - too many micro modules...

otherwise reasonably balanced - kinks is excellent!!! as is 3*mia and a good call on a real rings imo...

if you'd gone for a real plaits - you could have taken out the pico dsp & rand, the mult, the headphone amp and put in a alm hpo, a matrix mixer and an fx aid... no loss of functionality, but added versatility - use stackcables or headphone splitters for mults etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hi to all !
I like to get a few opinions from the experts here.
I mainly focusing on experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff, sometimes with fieldrecordings and different sample material. I really like what AnnAnnie does and the wierd experimental stuff from Gazonbalon.
My main engine in the rack clearly is Marbles, with multed out triggers to the A-160-2 clock divider which than spread over.
Peaks is mostly in drum mode and the Sample Drum is used for fieldrecording samples and pad/drone/melodic stuff.
I have an SQ-1 and an QuNexus on duty, too. I am surely only at the beginning and need to find my own way and workflow and have a lot to learn. But it is only a hobby for me and i wouldn't call me a musician, just an musically interested nerd ;)
I would really appreciate some suggestions and tips to my rack, especially redundant/overlapping modules, missing things and essential things to change. But please don't tell me to expand my rack ;)
ModularGrid Rack

It would be cool to sort or filter the 'My Modules' page based on which modules aren't in the current rack. Easier than hunting your list for modules that don't have the green number badge..

Hi all,
looking for 1 unit available in EU (France).
Thanks

White flag! May I just confirm that Limaflo Motomouth is genuinely an excellent Formant Filter, with numerous adjustment possibilities. (And that this Grendel, surely very talented, is not about to win its international beauty contest either :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hi fam'
I have tested and detailed the brand new Two Bits of Klavis, a treasure of logic and a lot more, in a very deep video. It's in french but I've done english cpations you can activate.
happy watching!

there are plenty of other modules that'll do those things though aren't there... choose the module that's right for you... positivity, y'know...
-- JimHowell1970

There is nothing wrong with voicing one's opinion regarding products and companies that one likes, that's how companies sometimes listen to customers' feedback and upgrade products... constructive discussions, y'know...

I could say the same to you...

let's shut the fuck up hey?

Replies "touche". Deep in thought for a few hours. Comes back and changes reply to more cliche garbage.

Dude, you clearly have nothing of value to say or real interest in this module. You are not part of a discussion. You are a bored troll. Grow up.

As usual, smart contact and fine transaction with @Slim
Merci !
-- Jihel

Thanks Sir,

Always easy trades and pleasant messages with @Jihel

Be well!

He must have found some new drugs. This one is another level of crazy ;-)
Don't get me wrong, I have 4 of his modules already.

Nice. Congrats!

With my long backordered Intellijel Dual ADSR's finally shipping after over a year, rack will be complete this weekend. Monster and Monster base. To be honest, the Behrimoog is mainly in there for the 440 ref.

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

EX plus α, amazing.

If you go to my user all user that me rated positive i had very smooth transaction and would like to do another transaction without any doubt.

Only this is a warning to alert other wigglers to this person.
User kooza, https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/155418 is a crook!

Thread: vpme.de Qex

Module depth:
33 mm without power cable
43 mm with attached power cable

A warning to be very careful with user [redacted in hope of possible resolution]

I bought a Rozendal CEM3340 osc from him about 1 month ago

1 month later no module, no replies to PM / email requests for tracking number,

I guess I am lucky I ‘only’ lost 85 euros on this guy, but nevertheless it is a lot of money to me. Of course after many successful and hassle-free transactions on here I was complacent and used F+F. My own fault obviously.

I don’t know if it’s the done thing to post his real name / email address here (because username can be changed) but I would be happy to do so.

I still have some hope that there’s some reasonable explanation. But module was still listed for sale yesterday when I emailed him. Today it is no longer listed. So I know he has logged on here in the last 24h and removed the listing, but still ignores my communications. Sad and disappointing.

• an update - user has now replied to me and it looks like it’s possible there’s a reasonable explanation. I will of course update this post when the problem is hopefully resolved.

-edit - I have removed the username for now as I’m hopeful for a resolution. Stay tuned…

edit2. It seems this foul thief was simply stringing me along for another 2 weeks. I’m pretty angry now. I realised this is not the place for this report - I have put the info in the bad trader thread… it would be really really useful if that thread was made a sticky. I’m still slightly in disbelief that someone would risk their shit for 85 euros but wow here we are. Maybe he thinks it’s a low enough value that someone would not care to pursue it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8228/page:2#lastpost

and everyone with any sense at all knows that you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time...

Thanks,
Can you talk me through ‘seeing your signature’ please :)

-- clivevass

it's the smaller text in the box at the bottom of the post, directly below this line

I can only assume modulargrid is your outlet for being a condescending douche. Anyone with business sense understands that loss of one customer is a signal of others less vocal. As far as the features, I am familiar with what it does. No magic here. Sounds nice but I didn't buy the previous version because of the lack of features. 3 CV inputs without attenuation when you have all that empty panel space. If you'd like to see a similar concept formant filter but with abundant features and good use of space check out Noise Lab Formantic.

I have the Modor formant filter which is a great stereo design and Limaflo Motomouth which is another nice one with a different approach. Both have dedicated, defined formants addressable with CV. Very useful.

link to rack, cos jpgs are shit

ModularGrid Rack

it looks like you could do with improving modulation and utilities - possibly the most interesting modules and in lots of ways much more important than sound sources or effects...

see my signature for a rough guide on how to get the most versatility from your rack for the least cash...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks,
Can you talk me through ‘seeing your signature’ please :)

there are plenty of other modules that'll do those things though aren't there... choose the module that's right for you... positivity, y'know...

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR.

I'd probably want at least a decent function generator (I like maths - good learning material available - videos and the 'maths illustrated supplement' - good jumping off points) and a quad envelope generator...

zadar is a great envelope generator - extremely powerful, especially with the nin expander... you might also consider the poti expander for batumi...

I'd also strongly consider a matrix mixer to allow you to mix copies of modulation sources to derive more related (and even more complex) modulation sources...

modulation is one of the key advantages of modular over other synthesisers, make good use of it.... another is utilities - there are a wide variety to choose from, they are incredibly useful for expanding patching both control voltage and audio... see my signature for some hints...

I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"

do you take your Mackie for live performances?

by sub-mixer I really mean downstream of end of channel - combine different sound sources for filtering and processing, combine differently processed parts for further filtering/processing etc etc etc

BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.

then it shouldn't be too difficult for you to either build an extension or a 6 tier rack then to house the semi rack, or to build a 6u rack to extend the case you have to find room for the support modules that imo your modular desperately needs

As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.
-- Mooger59

those and the bloom should cover everything - but don't the Moog semis use different scaling? ie not 1v/oct - if so I'd consider something that can convert the Moog sequencer output - iirc disting has an algorithm for this...

Thank you guys, for your feedback.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

It would be a real beast if at least one of the adders were not fixed to octaves but variable within an octave, even better, if both channels had a tiny extra knob for fine tuning 1V/oct

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR. I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"
BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.
As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.