Thank you for posting and providing me with ideas to use my Ts-L...As with everything I have in my setup, I'm apparently only scratching the surface of what this module can do :) I like you how are using it with Twin Waves as I've been looking to get that one as well.

JB

I'm planning on selling most of my semi-modular gear and moving fully to eurorack.

I'm trying to design a versatile 3 row x 84HP rack (252 HP total) that is able to evolve and loop randomly generated melodies/beats. I also really like playing around with polyrhythm/polymeter.

I've left some 1 HP spaces between some different "sections" of the rack for ease of viewing.

ModularGrid Rack

Latest patch that I recorded. I'm a little puzzled where to go from here. On the one hand I want to do more rich compositions which would need more quantized CV options and some VCAs/LFOs. On the other Hand I'm still thinking to get some more sampled drum/background loops happening with something like the erica sample drum.

Open for any ideas.

Hi Garfield,

You're right, Quadigy doesn't work without 5v. So you have no choice with it.
But on Sweet Sixteen there is a jumper.

Cheers

Hi Klodifokan,

Great, thanks a lot for the additional modules :-)

By the way, are you sure the Klavis Quadigy can let the user decide (by a jumper on the PCB for example) if he/she wants to let the module use the +5 V or not? I can't see any jumper on that PCB from the pictures online. Or does this module always uses the +5 V?

Here in Germany we don't have a dealer for Tesseract. Can that one be changed by the user or is it also always using the +5 V?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

What's the deal with this? The description just links to the original A-178, which already has a complete entry: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-178 (the V2 version also has an entry of its own)

Thank you, it's very much motivating :) The next one, about Rings, is in the same vein, but I think I'll provide an instructional .pdf instead of screen datas.

I'm loving these Jamms in a box with all the additional camera work and detailed descriptions!

Keep it up.

Thank you very much Stuker! 🤘

It's a really great module, it's just what I wanted, well-building and very funtional.

Ha! Thanks for the details. It's even more impressive now I know more about how it was done. I don't post tracks on ModWig that much but I should post there more often. You won't get much feedback usually, but some people do listen.

I really want to see a side by side between this, the new Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro and the new ALM/Busy Circuits MFX. They all look good. I am not getting along with Beads and would like to replace it with one of these multi effects modules.

Very cool demo. Love these videos and the detailed patch notes you provide. Thank you!

Hi Informationsource, All,

Thanks a lot for those 3 modules with the +5 V usage possibility. If you know of any other modules, please add :-) Or if anyone else knows about modules that have this possibility, please let us know here in this post.

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi,
Klavis Quadigy and Tesseract Sweet Sixteen.

+1

I would also love to separate the Pulp Logic TILES size from the Doepfer 3U / Intellijel 1U STANDARD size. They are two different things and deserve different attention. Both are relevant in Eurorack but don't mix well. If I could search for only one or the other it would avoid much confusion while planning a layout.

I would also love to separate the Pulp Logic TILES size from the Doepfer 3U / Intellijel 1U STANDARD size. They are two different things and deserve different attention. Both are relevant in Eurorack but don't mix well. If I could search for only one or the other it would avoid much confusion while planning a layout.

Thanks again

Hi Informationsource, All,

Thanks a lot for those 3 modules with the +5 V usage possibility. If you know of any other modules, please add :-) Or if anyone else knows about modules that have this possibility, please let us know here in this post.

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I'd like a desktop layout where you could blend a screenshot of your modular rack, or many, along with any standalone equipment like synths and drum machines or guitar pedals and effect units. The pedals feature kinda does it already but it would need the addition of a lot more desktop devices and of course the screenshot as a device idea. This would make Pod layouts possible where you could arrange several separate small racks in a single space.

Thanks

Cheers :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

New jam, using the new Dreadbox Disorder Fuzz & Filter pedal with my Rhodes as the lead, it's a bit longer this time but hopefully not boring.

This is the case I used:
ModularGrid Rack

Patch Notes

Voices:
- Rhodes MkII Stage 73 amped by Mutable Instruments Ears, using Dreadbox Disorder as Fuzz & Filter, run through Mimeophon as delay.
- Instruo Ts-L + Eowave Titan Oscillator into ST Modular Werner as bassline, sequenced by Doboz XIIO with filter cutoff modulated by expression pedal from ADDAC Floor Control.
- Calsynth Rangoon sequenced by S.I.G. doing counter melody, with decay modulated by Make Noise Pressure Points.
- Ensemble oscillator through Bizarre Jezebel Pkhia as background harmony, sequenced by Clank Chaos.

Drums:
- Erica Pico Drums as kick.
- Blue Noise through Patching Panda Punch v3 as high-hat, with decay modulated by Make Noise Pressure Points.
- White Noise through Takaab LPG as snare.

Modulation:
- Clank Chaos as clock divider, gate generator and random CV generator.
- Mutable Instruments Stages as envelope generator.
- Instruo Ochd as LFOs

Utilities:
- MIAx3 as attenuation, mixer, offset.
- Super Vcas as vca and mixer.
- joeSeggiola's Nearness as panning sub-mixer.
- Cosmotronic Cosmix as mixer, using Dreadbox Splash as send effect.
- Music Thing Startup as mixer and clock generator and divider.

Whoa! That's freaking cool. How the hell did you do that? In YT it says "generative" but it does sound more composed than most generative stuff I listen to. Some great sounds in there.
-- TumeniKnobs

The "generative" was a total joke. There's nothing random or generative at all in this. I posted a vid a few days prior of the intial few bars and put generative and IDM in quotes, saying it was neither generative nor "I." All sequenced by 7 tracks of the NerdSeq. Nerd has 8 tracks, but I ran out of patterns, lol. Assimil8or is doing the heavy lifting with two breaks (Amen and Apache, of course.) Kick is SSF Ultra Kick and snare is the Kraken. TX81Z through Intellijel uFold for bass. Second TX doing some other bits. Minilogue XD doing the sinewave type melody. Acid lines are a Rubicon through Ripples and Plaits through Doepfer 18db. Used the computer as a tape recorder with just a little post EQ and verb.

Happy to hear you all liked it. No feedback from the wigglers.

Wow! Very nice.

Whoa! That's freaking cool. How the hell did you do that? In YT it says "generative" but it does sound more composed than most generative stuff I listen to. Some great sounds in there.

That gets into some excellent, spooky, trippy territory. Nicely done!

OK @Lugia I've completely reworked this question into what I think is an interesting and better-defined puzzle.

For this challenge, here are the supposed non-negotiables of case & modules (positioning can be changed, of course):
ModularGrid Rack

Where do you take it and what's the reasoning? :)

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

I didn't know the Kermit MKIII but it looks quite more versatile than the Zadar to me.
You get S&H and T&H, gated repeat (sort of burst generator I believe) and other goodies
edit : well Zadar has gated repeat too though!

and good news the LFO mode is also accessible if you have the alternative firmware of Lylem, which I appreciate a lot!

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/plaits-with-frequency-locking-and-aux-crossfade-alt-firmware/17340

Definitely a better use for the 5V rail! And given how much current that often gets hidden on that rail, it surprises me that pretty much no one else has tried a powering method like that. You sometimes see the 5V rail used to power the filaments on tube-based modules, or when there's a little processing chip onboard that needs it. But outside of that, nothing much, so this is a good trend, IMHO.
-- Lugia

Agreed! Others that I'm aware of (that also have this option in ModularGrid) are 4ms RCD + SMR and Noise Engineering BIA - there are likely more.

ℹ︎nformation source | Bandcamp | YouTube

Dang it, all the uninstalled modules DO actually show up on my screen when I follow that rack link... underneath with the evil cat, of course!! lol

@Lugia you're saying that even when clicking the link directly to the rack itself, it doesn't show the unracked modules below it? Unfortunate.

... Wait, actually, when I test-view my own rack on a separate browser (where I'm not logged into my own ModularGrid account) then I have the same problem - visitors to my rack page don't see the "leftover" unracked modules anywhere, only modules that were placed into the rack

Hmmm... is there not a way to display unracked modules to other people? Sorry Lugia, I tried pretty hard to follow your helpful instructions in the post above but was not successful in getting unracked modules to display for my other browser.

Trying to think of a workaround rn! Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions... definitely still want feedback on this rack, though!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

Yes I originally bought the erica synth system3 and I've just been trying to build off that. I'll sell a few more of the ones I don't use. And eventually get the ones I'll have more use from.

Definitely a better use for the 5V rail! And given how much current that often gets hidden on that rail, it surprises me that pretty much no one else has tried a powering method like that. You sometimes see the 5V rail used to power the filaments on tube-based modules, or when there's a little processing chip onboard that needs it. But outside of that, nothing much, so this is a good trend, IMHO.

One question: why the reliance on the Erica modules...is this being built as an expanded prebuilt Erica system?

No modules in that linked build page...try this: put the modules in the cab first, then shift them OUT of the case. At that point, the rack should drop down a bit and then the SCION OF EVIL, the ModularGrid cat, will pop up to taunt you. But that'll put the modules AND the empty rack behind the link. Just make sure that, before you leave that page, you do a refresh on the "screenshot" option under "Views".

Nice!

I really appreciate everybody’s help out here and helping me do this. It’s like I want to do all these built but I need to commit to one . I check out all these options , and make this happen I will update my progress .

-cheers-
Alex

Modular + Minilogue + 2X TX81Z's

https://dspkills.bandcamp.com/track/great-value

For interested parties, I found MORDAX’s “system 5V” version yesterday. I added the silver panel from the SILVER, so all panel options should be available if you add this one to your rack/collection. Enjoy!

ℹ︎nformation source | Bandcamp | YouTube

Added some suggestions to your rack.

ModularGrid Rack

1U
Quadratt - Tame wild CV from Mimetic and Pam's before sending to BIA and SD
Midi - for clock syncing and melody programming from other devices
Stereo Mixer - to mix and connect to the palette 1/4 jacks

3U
Pam's - Clock and synced modulations
Euclidian Circles - 6 channels of mathematically derived gate rhythms and manual step sequencing
Mimetic - stepped CV sequencing and modulations
BIA - kick or bass lines
Sample Drum - drums and breaks
Versio - awesome FX unit that can be reprogrammed with alternate algorithms

Patch to send modulations like crazy from Pam's and Mimetic. This will bring BIA, Sample Drum and Versio to life

If you'd rather focus on melodies and note programming, then swap out Versio for Scales or Pico SEQ. Maybe drop Pam's since you don't like menu diving, then add one of the note sequencers and keep some effects in the palette.

then... get a bigger case :D

just trying to get my layout down. any ideas are welcome
-- Jaaz

I'm using my leftover modules to fill a 104hp 4u case. The current setup is extremely haphazard since it's all random leftovers.

Take a look - I want recommendations for what to do with what I already have, and what modules I should purchase to tie it all together into something fun. Plus your reasoning behind the choices.

Here are the raw materials:
- Black Intellijel 104hp 4u Pallette Case
- Mutable Instruments Rings
- Mutable Instruments Blades
- Mutable Instruments Clouds
- Mutable Instruments Branches
- Mutable Instruments Tides V2
- Mutable Instruments Braids
- Mutable Instruments Shades
- Mutable Instruments Ears
- Mutable Instruments Shelves
- Mutable Instruments Streams
- Befaco Kickall
- 2hp S+H
- Erica Synths Pico Seq
- Instruo Athru

Here's a link to all the modules in one place plus an empty case to work with:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm willing to add new modules - Go wild with your recommendations and reasoning!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

well kermit seems to be 12hp and zadar is 10hp - so purely from a size perspective zadar would seem to be the obvious choice...
-- JimHowell1970

Especially considering that this build also doesn't have any LFOs. Thankfully, you can get Zadar envelopes to loop, as I recall...

I'd advise bigger still - you have no room for expansion past what's in the 'bigger' case and imo 1u is a false economy - the cases that have it are expensive for what they are and often include superfluous functions that you may not need - midi and output modules are the main culprits here!
-- JimHowell1970

Yeah...you'll note I only put Intellijel tiles in there, treating the tile row as a second utility bus. It DID allow me to shift the modulation mixing/inversion/etc/so forth up to the QuadrATT, so that was a useful space-save for the 3U row. As for the I/O tiles, they're in so that the 1/4" case jacks are useful...so they went in, although I did make sure to go with that new "Stereo Mixer" tile. It allows easy parallel processing, or you can use it as a very basic crossfader, and it connects to the output 1/4" jacks just like the original Stereo Out.

But yes...Eurorack is like the grout mold in your shower: no matter what you do, it keeps growing! MY advice for a first cab would either be a Mantis or a reasonably-cheap portable cab like the ones Case From Lake builds. And in both situations, you're dealing with cases that have bigtime current capabilities so that your system never gets anywhere near its maximum draw.

Hey, is anyone able to recognize which effect is used here? I guess it’s a chorus effect but which one?

https://streamable.com/hkga2

Thanks!

A big batch of Magerit METRO is available! We celebrate it by releasing the new v2.6.0 firmware version. There are great changes and improvements:

• Accurate external clock sync
  • More FX parameters: Delay and Reverb amount
  • UI changes and cleaner design
  • Less RAM consume and much better performance
  • And much more! Take a look to the user manual (English and Spanish):
    https://www.magerit.es/download/Magerit-METRO.pdf

• There is a secret Easter egg. The first 10 people who find it will receive a 20€ coupon for our store!

I had the same predicament, finally went with kermit as my case won't fit modules with depth superior to 42mm. (waiting for it to arrive)

Hey there, sorry for the response time.
First of all, thanks to you all to have taken to time to answer me and to try to guide me throughout this journey, very kind and useful.

1/ Alltvin
Thanks a lot, I read it a bit, very useful indeed. I'll get back to it when I'll be more comfortable with the modules.

2/ Lugia
My english isn't that perfect so I didn't get everything you told me, but I've got the main parts ahah.
Yes my first thought was to get an 0-COAST and a 3-tier rack to complete the "Cheapsel" but at one point I wasn't so sure, I just wanted to jump directly into the modular, but I've realised now that it isn't the best solution for me now.
About the Intellijel, yeah you're probably right, money wise too. I just didn't wanted a big thing to start (Tiptop Audio Mantos), considering what I want to do, but as I've seen everywhere, everyone said that it's the best option, so why not. It was the 1U row and the options that attracted me, but I know that it's clearly not a good reason to buy it. Thinking of a getting a controller too, but maybe just the Keystep 37 to start with.

3/ sacguy71
I was already using VCV rack, but I gave up, not really my thing at the moment. But now with the V2 and my growing knowledge, I've took it back, and yeah, wonderful idea, don't know why I didn't do it before. I'll buy the Patch & Tweak book too. Patience is the key in this world.

Thanks a lot!

Clément

OK I'll give you my two cents on this.

If you count filter banks into this then two honorable mentions are the Res EQ (wait for v2, it will have CV control) and Monotropa (mine has a mod for tone control inside the feedback path, a "baxandall tilt EQ"). Those two are absolutely nuts. Especially the Res EQ is very non-linear and sounds gnarlier than anything else. You move only one band and the whole sound changes. Turning up a low band can make the sound brighter and vice-versa. It's completly crazy, you need to try it. Both are absolutely mental for feedback patching. If you decide for a Monotropa please buy it from RTFM on modular grid. He will build you one for a very fair price with the tone control mod that I mentioned. It's AWESOME!

The best dual/stereo filter for pinging, oscillations and FM is the Blades right now in my opinion. You have CV over the filter mode, routing and resonance. Especially resonance CV is a feature I absolutely love, every filter should have it.

The best bang for buck filters with a character are the Bastl Cinnamon (harsher distortion, square-wavy) and the Doepfer Wasp (bubbly, with a slight fuzz from transistor distortion). They both sound amazing. Feature wise the Cinnamon has more to offer, it has VCA in it as well. Sound wise I would prefer the Wasp. Theres no filter like it. Even the clones don't sound quite like it. The Dual Wasp from Haible did not have the same sound unfortunately. The wasp filter can make these amazing bubbly, wet, water droplet type of sounds. Pairs perfectly with a benjolin and some reverb, love it. Highly recommended. You can get one on the used market for 50€, absolute no-brainer.

Now for my favourite filter category: Slope Generators, the most versatile filters out there. One of them is Inertia by New Systems Instruments. I think it has the most impressive function density I have seen on a filter. It can be used as V/Oct-tracking oscillator, filter, slew, envelope generator, LFO, frequency divider, phase shifter, envelope follower and phase-locked-loop. The thing sounds absolutely crazy. The filter sounds that come out of it sound very "saw like". Like stepped or spiky, razor sharp. Beautiful module, phenomenal sound. Expensive but totally worth it. Very rewarding when experimenting and useful both as utilty, sound source or modulator.

The other slope generator I want to mention is the Quad Slope from CGS. That thing is totally bananas as well. Using the inputs of the envelopes for filtering essentially makes it a quad filter as well. Whats special about it is that the boundaries between what is an LFO, what is a filter, what is an envelope and what is a slew are disappearing. Super fun to crosspatch the envelopes, it makes one "filter" or "envelope" modulate another one for example. You can do that with all four of them. Ranging all the way from sub-audio territory (LFO range, slewing) to audio territory (oscillator, filtering). Super fun to do. I wish it had a "cycle switch" tho. You need to patch the TRIG OUT to the TRIG IN every time to get it to cycle, pretty annoying. Best envelope out there tho.

The only filter that I really want to try still that is also completly crazy and that I will 100% buy at some point is the Sprott from IFM.
Since I have never used it I cannot comment on it but it's a chaotic filter that plays with the "bounds & bounce" theme that Peter Blasser introduced. Maximum GAS for me :)

I don’t believe the Doepfer SEM is capable of self oscillation if that is important to you. It’s a very classic sound. Very late-70s/early-80s vibe. Definitely on my shortlist.
-- farkas

Possibly related to this post, I just found out this weekend that the Doepfer Extreme Filter A-106-1 indeed is capable of self oscilation, and to my surprise to an audible and absolutely usable level. Im not sure I remember the patch correctly, but it definitely involved no audio oj the inputs (obviously) and the use of the send/return jacks (I think I just amplified the module's natural send output and routed back without creating an obvious loop.
Im sorry I dont remember and this is my first post in this forum, so if anyone ever finds this useful and/or you want to know the exact patch, let me know..

well kermit seems to be 12hp and zadar is 10hp - so purely from a size perspective zadar would seem to be the obvious choice...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities