Well, the Clouds sort of is a sampler. Admittedly, what it actually is is a granular sound processor...but since granular synthesis is based in chewing up incoming and/or existing sound into small 'bits' (ie: grains) and manipulating them, there's a lot of overlap there in functionality.

Ultimately, I have to agree with jburzy01: a lot of what you have there isn't going to behave the way you think it will. Using a sequential switch to switch between oscillators for waveform timbral changes, for example, will likely wind up giving you a kind of ugly result if/when the switching happens between major cyclical differences in waveforms. That'll often result in a nasty 'click' in the signal and not a clean 'morph'. Also, much of the timbral work in any synth happens with the filtering, and there's only one filter there, so it'll tend to sound more similar than different, especially at lower cutoff frequencies and resonance values.

Seriously, I would suggest stepping back from this for a bit and looking at other users' builds who're trying for a similar result, as well as studying what makes a synth that's renowned for the sort of thing you're looking for what it is. And not just recent ones, but going back to the 'classics' that people readily fork over thousands for; finding out why they're worth that will save you a lot of time and money when you work on your own builds.

Admittedly, this all looks easy enough: slap modules in box, patch, instant gratification. It doesn't work that way, though. The main reason I spend time on MG is because I'm repeatedly honing a certain idea, over and over, in order to avoid making costly mistakes when it comes time to fork over the cash. And I would say that that's what a good number of users on here are up to as well. Believe me, it's easy to make errors in judgement that cost a chunk when you're first diving into something spendy like this, and fortunately things like MG do exist to help that from being the norm...but that only works if/when you put the time into studying the possibilities and honing how they should be implemented.

So...step back, take a few deep breaths, and actually dive into a study of the 'whys' of what makes a thing the thing you're shooting for. And yes, you might find that this really isn't the right course. But before that, I would suggest spending some time, if at all possible, with a modular synthesizer to see the effective (and INeffective) ways to get the things you want done. And always remember: modular synthesis isn't THE way...it's A way. And there's plenty of ways to get most anything you can think of accomplished.

About the only thing I can see that's missing is some sort of randomizing source, which is a shame since you've got the Noise Rainbow, which makes for an excellent weighted noise source for all sorts of random signal generators. This could be as simple as a couple of S&Hs (actually, Ladik's dual 4 hp one also gives you track-and-hold options) or something more complex and variable like a Doepfer A-149-1, which gets you into Buchla-esque Source of Uncertainty territory. Otherwise, this is pretty spot-on. Don't get rid of the Mother32, though...sidecar it, maybe team it with a DFAM in a double-tier Moog rack, but keep it handy. It does so much for so cheap...very much a 'keeper'.

Not too shabby! I think you might want to tinker a bit with the layout if this is intended for live use, so that you can get a little better 'flow' for the signal paths and make the setup a bit more intuitive. The only thing I would change out, to be honest, is the uJack...it's great if you're using Intellijel's mixers because it can directly interface with those, but with the Befaco it's just expensive and no better than a lot of other stereo-out modules. Have a look (under the 'Other' manufacturers) at Olitronik's PRO Out...gives you everything in the same space that the Intellijel does, but throws in metering and comes out saving some cash.

As regards the Keystep: yes. That really sums it up. I use one with my Digisound 80 rig, and just love the hell out of it. Also, if/when you jump up to the MB 2s, do consider adding one of the Rackbrutes. It's just a no-brainer move, lets you augment the MiniBrute 2s easily, and also ties into the above nicely. Arturia's really going to have an impact with their both-feet-first entry into Eurorack; this was, I think, a genius move by them.

Gotta agree here...this is a little too 'undercooked' at this point. 'Take it slow' is wise advice, to which I would add 'look at other examples', which is another great asset of MG, although you need to be careful to check ones done by the numerous users on here who've got some experience rather than using random examples.

As for sequencing...for something rather tight on space, you might even consider going outboard, since sequencers are usually space-hungry things. Have a look-see at the KOMA Komplex; that, in combination with a Monome setup, would be downright scary.

External processors aren't a bad idea, either (would let you lose the Magneto and free up buttloads of hp!), but remember that the right way to use them, in most cases, is to employ some sort of send/return module(s) that step down the signal to the effect, then step its output back up to re-insert it into the modular's signal level. Also, not a bad idea having that 1U tile row there, but keep in mind that Intellijel's tile format locks out all of the other tile choices, whereas you can kindasorta fudge Intellijel tiles into the 'conventional' format with a little ingenuity (and a bit of hacksawing on the mounting holes on their tiles).

Oh, hell, yes....those morphing VCOs they've concocted are wonderful if you've got the space. I've heard a number of recordings of experiments and demos with that and its bigger sibling, the E370, and everything I've heard has been really nice. Subtle to extreme seems possible, too, so there's a lot of latitude to play with in terms of coming up with suitable sounds.

Nifty! It's sort of what might happen if a clavichord died and came back as an upright grand.

Kinda...the problem I have with some of the Moon stuff is that, fully-implemented, it's space-hungry. I went instead with the Dotcom Mix++ modules, both to mix/invert/distro VCO audio signals as well as to do the same with modulation sources. They do a lot of the heavy lifting there, but don't require extra routing, etc expanders. Although, I do like their Quad Reversable Attenuator module. It's turned up in some other build sketches I've done in MU as a convenient and cost-effective attenuverter bank, as has the 592...but the 592 tends to get 'evaluated out' because of the space vs cost issue, while the QRA always seems to make it thru to the final refinements.

On the other hand, the more I see of the Grove Audio modules, the more jazzed I get about their features in small spaces aspect. You'll notice quite a bit of their devices in the above layout, and their appearances have actually been something of a growing trend as I slog toward an eventual budget-commit final version. Their 1-space Quad VCA/mixer is frickin' brilliant, IMHO, and that new Quad VCA stereo mixer is turning into a 'given' in some further refinements of the above.

Ultimately, while a portable cab version is the 'optimal', the real fact is that I'll likely go with something like this:

ModularGrid Rack

...if only for cost-savings. It cuts down the module compliment to something a little more fiscally-rational, and the Studio cabs do bring the price down incrementally. Still comes out to roughly $22.5k, which is...spendy, but I like the functionality vs space issues this refined version gives. FYI, the bottom 'row' actually denotes two Box4 enclosures that attach to either end of a QKB37, and these get filled with eight (yep, eight!) wheels to give me some expression CVs that can be sent back upward to other destinations in the synth. Costs a bit more, but that's a functionality tradeoff I like.

Not so much...some of the VCOs are intended for AF-domain modulation of either VCAs or direct FM to other VCOs. I tend to do a lot of that...this one thing I just got done tracking on a few minutes ago (decompressing post-overdubbing!) has a massive amount of that going on, albeit in this case on an Arturia ARP 2600V (works about the same as the actual one I had, in fact...no major regrets there) using strange cross-modulations that eventually get out into a huge processing cascade, with the result (once I get up tomorrow and apply some band-selective filtering to it) that I have this perpetually-evolving sound wash that'll sound like moving through a forest by a stream, complete with intricate spatialization partly done with a Lorenz attractor device in MAX. Frickin' beautiful, in fact.

But sometimes, ya just got to have knobs and wires to grab onto...so something this, ah, expansive (or should that 'a' be an 'e'?) is what I'd feel comfortable with, particularly if the eventual plan is to get out and do more live work. And that IS the plan...eventually...

Thread: Vocoder cab

A little (literally!) something...two Frap 42hp rows + vertical cab ends. I sorta felt that a vocoder should be a separate device so that it can go inline with most anything. Bottom row is Frap's new Fumana module. Top row...ok, the mic preamp/envelope follower on the left gets its audio patched to the VCA, while the gate from the envelope follower goes to the AHDSR...this enables some shaped noise gating, allows only the proper level signals from the mic to pass to the Fumana. Mono limiter to even out the inputted carrier input signal, EQ before the output to tweak timbre a little before the line-out. This way, the device can easily be patched into anything from a modular rig to line-level I/O signals for both the modulator (with its own mic/line in) and the carrier.

Not too shabby! Hopefully a few folks will get some ideas from this, because that Fumana module looks to be extremely cool, almost a competitor for an EMS 5000 with the fully routable analysis-to-synthesis patching. And at gazillion$ less!

Oh, yeah...it definitely needs some sort of stereo output module. Even just putting the Clouds (or something like it) last in the signal chain screams 'stereo output'. Get something with a ganged stereo level pot, though; I've been a bit enthralled lately with this one Olitronik output...1/4" balanced outs, metering, headphone preamp, and only 6 hp. Not spendy, either, and the ganged stereo control lets you easily maintain the spatialization coming out of the system. Happy Nerding also has a nifty and inexpensive output, this time with transformer-balanced outs, and having some nice iron in your audio path is always a help, as transformers tend to emphasize even harmonics, making signals processed that way a bit more 'euphonious'.

Yeah, that thing was a bitch to patch; the dope sheet for the patch for the ARP 2600 and Digisound tandemmed was 2 1/2 pages long. How it worked, though, was brilliant: the piece depended on a continuum of non-repeating, dynamically-shifting voltage curves that then got fed back out in all directions, with differing polarities and phases. Key to it was two things:

1) Eight attenuverters on the Digisound. These were the 'steering' controls. All of the various modulation signals fed into these and they functioned as a sort of 'network', in which incremental, small changes would knock the whole system out of, and back into, equilibrium. But that process had a lot of 'lag' built into it, so a change of one pot would perhaps take 10-20 seconds to make the resulting change sonically. That, plus the point that the modular system was fed into a long processor cascade, made any change done manually take a LONG time to finally reach a new stable state.

2) A shortwave receiver fed into three different audio frequency bands. This is the 'not under control' part. I used a fairly broad bandpass filter to rein in the sonics, and this was fed into the audio of the modular system at a very low level. Then out of that, two other 1/10th octave passband filters took 'slices' of that audio spectra and these were sent to the envelope followers on the ARP and Digisound, where their levels were converted into CVs and fed into the modulation 'network'. Since shortwave signals constantly fluctuate in phase, level, etc, there was no controlling what any of this would do at all. And, of course, it too is constantly dis-aligning the modulation curves.

The only other things on the track are an MS-20, which stays constant to provide a 'pivot sound' around which the rest of the sonic architecture moves, and a theremin which appears at points. When that happens, also, the keyboard controller gets used to 'dive' the modular's general pitch downward to 'window' the theremin solos. As for how I got the theremin to 'feed back' at that one solo's end...well, some things must remain a secret, heh, heh, heh...

Thread: Change Log

Mucho brilliant, gang...thanks! Should cut down on dupe modules. I saw the rotator on the stompbox category and had been hoping it might get adapted for everything else.

Just another little thing that makes MG the 'gold standard' reference for modular...

Hey, gang...this is for those of you submitting module data on items that come in both kit and prebuilt versions. If you could, please put the worst-case price on module listings. This will almost always be the prebuild price, not the kit, and the reason I'm making a note here about it is that I just got done reworking the Elby stuff, and a lot of the prices there were on kit versions, and I (like quite a few around here, I'll guess) tend to plan things as prebuilt. So when the rack of Euroserge stuff I had shot from $15k up to $24k...well, that's quite an inflation rate!

I think most people, when they get the bill on things, would like to see it was lower than they'd thought as opposed to "what do you mean I owe you another 9 grand!?". So, yeah...while I know there's a big DIY presence on here, I think everyone will agree that you're going to want the NICE surprise as opposed to the HOLY CRAP!! surprise. So, yeah...let's see the prebuilt pricing when there's a difference, please? Vielen dank!

Pretty excellent! You might reconsider the 1/4" outputs, though, and drop a mixer (possibly w/ VCAs) in instead. That way, you can mix/attenuate up in the RackBrute and send the resulting audio back down to the MB2s's audio in and final-mix in that box. Pairing the Drips w/ the DFAM is a brilliant move, also, but also pushes that need for a mixer.

I did a test layout along similar lines, myself...have a look at the DAMN YOU, ARTURIA thread under 'Racks' from a few weeks back. The sort of patchables we're starting to see now really encourages this sort of thing, and I think it was really prescient of Arturia to come up with a unitized design that pairs the MB2/2s with an attached Euro cab. Granted, that build is more extensive, but it's interesting.

Sounds right...just keep in mind that, musically, you're probably best putting the modular cab together in a way that it doesn't sound at all like the 0-Coasts so that you can get some contrast. It's sort of like orchestration: sure, you have five different string parts to an orchestra, but then you'll want the wind colors to contrast against the monolithic string timbres. At the same time, tho, those strings need to interconnect with the winds...and likewise, tandemming control patching between the 0-Coasts and the modular cab is a great idea.

Yeah, I might've had some texts shoved up my ass during my undergrad conservatory-type training that I thought were sort of pointless (Piston's 'Harmony', f'rinstance), but Rimsky-Korsakov's text on orchestration wasn't one of those. I've found ideas from that orchestration textbook useful in multitrack and live mixing, studio equipping, arranging timbral structures in electronic media, and so on. Just proves that old adage about everything old being new again...(https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Orchestration-Nikolay-Rimsky-Korsakov/dp/1492248061 )

Answer #1: yes. Also, if you start speccing your own power supplies, you can find plenty of supplies that output lots more current than many OEM Eurorack supplies. This is especially useful when dealing with a large build. Or, alternately, you can go with a prebuilt larger case that has beefy amperage ratings...they've gotten a little more common, with the advent of cabs such as the larger Pittsburgh units (they're actually Monorocket designs, if I remember right) or the new (and cheap!) Arturia RackBrutes. Finding +12 only units might be a bit of a pain; you're better working out staying under the uZeus's requirements in its cab unless you toss it out and get something with more 'beef', like a 4ms Row Power 40 or a Koma Strom+.

Answer #2. I wouldn't try it. The issue there is that the -12 circuitry is going to expect to see a 'neutral' on its ground plane, not +12. This would be the only actual solution, as you would have a lot of trouble repolarizing that bus due to that issue. One module might be fine with it, but a couple of others might smoke. Again, the real solution (that avoids even the hint of a catastrophic possibility) is to either stay within the uZeus's limits or jettison it for a beefier supply.

That being said, though...the -12 rail on the Tiptop isn't as overtaxed as you might think. I like to spec current draws at 2/3rds of the rated maximum, which for .5A comes out to 333 mA, which is about where you are at present. So the ultimate answer here might be 'do nothing, it's just fine that way'.

One last thing: if you're planning to spec out your own power distro design for a new case, two things have to be kept in mind:

1) While linear supplies offer very quiet, no-ripple DC, they're spendy and weigh quite a bit. So this means you'd likely be using switching supplies...but in that case, you have to be concerned about noise on your DC rails. In bog-simple analog modules, this might not be a problem, but if we're talking about analog-controlled digital, the noise factor could creep in due to the switching noise interfering with the DSP clocking and such. These things can also radiate noise, so the potential for power supply garbage getting into other subsystems (think audio lines and devices here) goes up. Be VERY careful about noise factors on switchers.

2) You're always safer by using filtered busboards. Even with the quietest linear DC supplies, some modules can still send crud back down their own DC feeds which get back into the rails and spread out that way to cause all sorts of annoyance. Filtering reduces this problem, and can also be useful to reduce switching supply crud. If that's not enough, there's also various methods of isolating the DC supplies via filtering, noise chokes, etc that can get more garbage off the rails. The optimal thing you're looking for here is to drop the noise across your audio to as low a figure as is possible, as that will be the most obvious path for it to get heard...but just as much, reducing noise also helps with module stability, especially when tuning stability is critical. I would suggest putting a 'scope on your DC rail feeds during any such build to look for ripple (very bad) or switching noise to see what courses of action, if any, you might take.

Actually, both ideas there work...I keep forgetting that Quadnic module, and I ought not to. It's definitely a different character than the analog-source Doepfer, comes in considerably cheaper (by $200!) and saves 6 hp of space. Downside, though, is that you lose individual modulation and sync patchpoints. The other similar solution that seems to be viable gets more pricey, though: a pair of Klavis Twin Waves. $498 for two, but they fit in 16 hp and have way more features than either the Quadnic or the Doepfer combined. It's almost Braids-ish, given the algorithm feature set. If the price weren't a barrier, honestly, I'd go in that direction. As for the Pico DSP, yeah, that could work as well, but if you're going to use it for that insert trick make sure it can do a decent job on a mono output. Of course, that module also need not be a effect processor; you could do some twisted things with waveshaping in that Chronoblob feedback loop, so that every delay iteration keeps getting more distorted and bent out of shape. A ring modulator would be neat as well, but you'd need a carrier source...even so, consider a delay in which the iterations get more and more clangorous. Lots of possibilities exist...

As for the MAX situation...there might be a solution in MAX that can emulate the additional Monome modules. MAX is so open-ended that if you're deep into it, there'll almost certainly be a way around any hardware limit. Or, explore some of the Expert Sleepers stuff to get the MAX patterns over USB (or even ADAT optical) to their hardware, piping the MAX patterns through Silent Way. At the very least, ES's stuff saves space and is equally open-ended as Monome's modules.

First small rack? Don't you mean first small BIZZARO rack? MUA-HAH-HAH-HAAAAA!

OK, let's make it bizzaro...

Keep the MATHS where it is. I assume you're using a self-contained 84 hp rack, such as a Doepfer A-100LC3; this will have internal power with a built-in DC 'brick' input. If that's the case, this build should work.

Next, add the Batumi and the Poti expander. You will likely want the extra flexibility. So...ok, this gives us the Batumi for modulation, and the MATHS can do a lot of the envelop-ish and slewing behavior.

Then...BIZZARO oscillator! The Harvestman's Hertz Donut mk II should be perfect to compliment the analog oscillators in the two 0-Coasts. This is a very strange but extremely capable dual digital oscillator with internal modulation paths and TZFM capability. The spacing on this also takes care of the odd offset from the Poti, bringing us back into even hp turf. So, what better to go with a BIZZARO oscillator than...yeah, you guessed it...

BIZZARO filter! This thing is brilliant for strange timbres and filter modulations: the Limaflo Motomouth (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-limaflo-motomouth). It's a multiband formant filter based not on typical cutoff and resonance models, but emulating vocal vowel formants and morphing. Put together with the Hertz Donut, you then get into this very strange, alien voice-but-not-voice territory.

Next, not BIZZARO...just a dual VCA from Doepfer, their A-132-3. These VCAs can be switched between linear and exponential behavior, so while one can handle audio dynamics (f'rinstance), the other can deal with controlling a modulation signal's levels being fed...well, most anywhere. Since this is sort of a monosynth (ok, yes, a BIZZARO monosynth), there's really only a single signal path for audio at this point, so having two VCAs like this is pretty optimal.

Next...more BIZZARO! Right next to each other, a Synthrotek VERB, which is a CVable mono reverb, and a Feedback 106 Chorus, which not only modulates the timbre, but spreads the mono VERB signal into stereo in a few different, manually-controllable ways, so that its output goes right to a Malekko Output which gives you a ganged stereo level and steps your signal down to regular ol' line level. Not BIZZARO line level, mind you...just the usual.

Fills all 84 hp neatly. And there's way more than ample room for exploration there...plus it's going to sound NOTHING like the 0-Coasts or, really, most any other monosynth, because this is a...yep...BIZZARO monosynth! Also, you can patch the 0-Coasts in and out of this really nicely in oodles of ways. The SQ-1 could, say, sequence only one half of the Hertz Donut, leaving the other oscillator fixed to create lots of Conrad Schnitzler-esque clangers, or...well, you get the BIZZARO idea here, I presume.

(Last damn time I watch that 'Sealab 2021' episode before trying to get something done! And NO, not something BIZZARO done!)

To get your image to refresh, try this: go into View Screenshot and if you see something that wasn't what you selected, then refresh that window. Should clear that up.

Anyway...had at it a bit myself. Started with flipping the case, and then...well, have a look:

ModularGrid Rack

There's definitely some changes. The Quad VCO is paired with the Quad VCA, for starters. This lets you do a lot of CVable mixing of the VCOs, creating morphing-like structures, or really most anything. Mangroves next, then a CVable wavefolder, which not only lets you morph the formants, but also the timbral quality of the Mangroves. Two attenuators to control their levels going into the Sisters VCF...and this is key, because I looked at that filter and noted that it has this extra input, CENTRE, that allows a 'lead' part to get 3db out front and be timbrally altered against the other sounds coming in via the ALL, LO, or HI inputs. The dual attenuator lets you have more control over that lead/back balance.

Then there's a Doepfer A-106-1 filter. This is actually a filter pair, based on the Korg MS-20's Sallen-Key pair, but with the sick and twisted addition of an insert in its resonance path. Hence the stuff below: a Chronoblob delay and a VERB digital reverb. Now, what came to my diseased mind was this: put the Chronoblob into the A-106-1's insert. Now, the Chronoblob ALSO has an insert...this time, in the feedback path. So the CVable VERB goes into THAT...allowing clocked delay pulsations with the added strangeness of constantly-shifting 'room' depths, with all of this being constantly inline to alter the dual filter's behavior. Tres ambient! Of course, there's plenty of other ways to (ab)use those, too...

ER-301 is above the other set of VCAs, next to a little 4-in stereo mixer, which is next to the Clouds. This puts the Clouds in place to easily process/mangle incoming audio OR the synth's sounds themselves, and all of this can be sent up and thru the ER-301 for more processing mayhem. The I/O is right below in the tile row, also, so the right end of the build can do a lot of 'spiderwebbing' amongst all of these for pretty infinite possibilities of subpatching for sonic alteration.

Bottom (now) tile row. Added the uMIDI 1U because the Intellijel cab's USB port (on the backplane) directly links to that for MIDI-over-USB use. Above this are your Monome modules, and this puts all incoming control signals at the lower left...nice and cohesive. Modulation/clocking is next to this, with the corresponding tile below the Tides and MATHS so everything's all in place to work as a modulation subpatch team. The row went to the bottom, also, to get your external cable runs below and away from your patchwork to avoid confusion. It also puts the tile controls close at hand to your controller for fast 'nuance' adjustment.

Sole flaw here is that I wound up being forced to drop the multiple. However, you might find that using stackable cables and/or inline mult modules work even better in this small a rig.

Downside of all of this: $5,668, modules alone. Definitely above the $2500 line, but it gives you something of a point to aim for, money-wise, even if the module compliment might change. But this isn't a bad aiming point, IMHO...definitely feels like an ambient 'instrument'.

Whatcha think?

It's actually looking sort of underpowered, to be honest. I'm pretty sure that only one VCF is going to hamper you in getting lots of different timbres in your rhythmic patterns, and that factor is pretty essential to make effective patterns that both pound AND hold attention. I'd almost think that losing the Quad VCLFO would be in order and going with something more akin to a multicolor noise source, in addition to several small 'ringing' filters (such as either 2hp ones or some Erica Picos) would make more sense for what you want. These can also be pitchable via the sequencer but have a more percussive sound. You also need a bunch of AD envelopes for this to work, and Erogenous Tones makes an octal module with these, the RADAR. Consider a bit of processing, too...a short reverb will actually make things sound really huge and spacious without making the whole rhythm track sound like it's coming from some huge dumpster.

Keep the Tides. Slow changes across a track also make for interesting qualities in electronic percussion, and the Tides can be mixed in with some of the incoming sequencer CVs to make that happen. The STO is good, as well, for a bass source...but you really need a deep 4-pole LP VCF plus an ADSR envelope to get your bass voice working. That way, you get a solid, rubbery bassline plus you can squelch it up wite the VCF's resonance manually for a more acid-y tone.

Ultimately, if I were doing this build, tho, I'd have started with a larger rack for it. It's always better, when starting out, to go larger than you think you need...because in the end, you realize that you DO need it! Not suggesting a 12U Monster case here, mind you, but going to a 6U x 104 will give you more room, then if you find you need to, you can easily scale back down to something a bit smaller when refining the build.

Well, first up, Intellijel's Noise Tools would also be a good contender for that tile row; you might consider dropping the USB for that, as you have a backside USB on the Intellijel 7U case. Also, I'd invert the rack...put the utility tiles + your I/O on the bottom row to get the external cables out of the way. Consider, also, finding a way to squeeze either a Digiverb or a Pedal I/O in there.

Ambient, from my experience, requires quite a bit of heavy-duty processing to get the right flavor. The Orthagonal ER-301 would be a good multi-possibility choice there and would likely allow you to take out the Clouds, which Mutable discontinued recently (someone needs to edit its listing). If you have to have the Clouds, your best bet (space saving, too) would be an 8 hp third-party version of the module, for which there's several sources right now.

Nothing here in terms of modulation sources, especially slow-duration ones. The MATHS is a good choice, plus adding a Mutable Tides would give you plenty of slow-duration modulation change with good control capabilities. And VCAs...got to have those. Intellijel's Quad VCA would play nicely in here, plus give you a 4-channel mixer for either CVs or audio in the process. You might actually consider two of those, one for each.

Two VCOs, also...not really enough. The modular I currently use for this sort of thing has three VCOs plus a VCDO, Digisound's steppable fixed-wavetable oscillator. You're going to want some spectral complexity that you're clearly moving toward, but still a good ways away from at this point. You might get closer by yanking the Just Friends and looking instead at Doepfer's Quad VCO, which just came out a bit ago; I would definitely keep the Mangroves, however, because it would provide a nice timbral contrast to the Doepfer VCOs.

Keep in mind that with ambient work, complexity is key...you want slow change with lots of possibilities. You might even consider going to a second cab here so you can have more sonic possibility while staying with the Intellijel format tiles. With the simultaneous use of a Seaboard + Monome setup, something this small-scale might actually wind up limiting the full capabilities of those controllers in tandem. But with a dual-cab rig, you can use the Monome with one for functions that're optimized for it in case #1, and the Seaboard in a likewise manner for case #2, sort of like a dual-manual for an organ...but not an organ. Means more monetary outlay, sure, but you get that back in terms of being able to make more complex, subtile, nuanced music with the instrument. Sure, it opens another can of worms, but it's a can with more potential.

Nah...go with a smaller O&C build, something like: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-uo-c-magpie-white-panel which fits in 8 hp. Then maybe chuck the Blinds, since the Samara does what it does plus bunches more. Plus, consider whether the ER-301 can do any of the effects processes you have on here as separate modules in-line with the function you've got in mind for it. Keep looking at how to 'squish out' the hp needed while not losing much in the way of function...it's doable, just part of the scutwork in optimizing a build. Treat it like a challenge!

A couple of Electro-Harmonix things I've had a jones for for a while are their HOG2 and the Ring Thing. The HOG2 is capable of doing some elaborate harmonic resynthesis/modulation, especially in tandem with external modulation sources. Drawback: it ain't cheap. But even with the cost, I'd suggest looking at some demo videos in which the more complex capabilities are being shown off.

The Ring Thing, OTOH, is cheaper...and WAAAAAY cheaper than the thing it can emulate: a frequency shifter. Look a bit more at this box and you'll note that the panel has indications for modes that only do up-shift and down-shift. This is its 'sideband modulation' mode and such, and this gives you the ability to access the up and down frequency shifting on individual outputs. If you've ever looked at what the few freestanding frequency shifters cost (and survived the sticker shock!), I don't have to tell you that this box costs NOWHERE near what the Bode-type units do. To be honest, if there ever was a reason for Eurorack users to add an effect send/return module, this might be near the top of the list...and if we're just talking pedalboard alone, the ability to create the strange, alien, trippy frequency-shifted spectra for this thing's outlay is a no-brainer. Calling it the 'Ring' Thing is sort of a misnomer, really, although it will do those things, too...the real draw is the shifting.

Thread: RackBrute_6u

Not bad at all. You will need to swap out the 4ms power for the Arturia P/S unit, however, as it comes with the EuroBrute cab and it's 5hp, not 4. This will change the spacing on whatever row you opt to put it on (I advocate for the lower...makes dressing the power cable off to the side easier). Losing the buffered mult should give you the room, and it's pretty unnecessary in this small a build. I'm assuming this sends its audio back to the MiniBrute 2s? If so, make sure to check the specs for its external audio in, because if it wants line-level, it's going to really need it, as I'm pretty sure there's no way to trim down the voltage level on that synth itself. Easily dealt with by swapping out the FX send/return module.

The build's also a little filter-heavy. Potentially, losing the uHC would be sensible, because the Sara VCF is pretty complex in of itself and the Optodist will do much of the distortion the uHC would be up to. That way, you could swap in something more complex, random-wise, to go with the Noise Rainbow; Doepfer's A-149 series wouldn't be a bad choice, nor would an Ornament and Crime build...in fact, that has the potential of lots of extra functions in a small space.

Good move with the Attenu8, also...given that it can be split in 2, can do inversions, and probably a few other twisted tricks. Doesn't seem to conflict with the Quad VCA, but I would actually suggest moving the Attenu8 to the bottom row so it's handy for processing/controlling/mixing signals either going up from the MB2s or back down to it...or both!

Thread: Strymon AA.1

Quite spiffy, yep...wonder which return is active if you only have a TS 1/4" coming back in in mono, tho...

OK, what makes me get all hot and bothered in the constant blizzard of Eurorack modules? Well, there never fails to be something that, just from the description here on l'il ol' ModularGrid, seems like something that people need to be paying attention to. Sometimes these are real game-changer modules. Sometimes they seem to be a total snooze. Either way, there's a lot that goes by on here that potentially gets overlooked...that shouldn't! So, it hit me a few days ago that, well, why not go thru the barrage of STUFF that comes along in the span of a month's time and point out some things that I think are pretty useful, cost-effective, or innovative. Especially considering that January is, of course, NAMM month and that tends to provoke new, neat, and nifty showing up all over.

So, I figured I'll take a little time out and highlight a few things that I think you, the users of this ginormous modular community, might want to poke at a little more closely. And, what the hell, may as well make it a monthly thing. So, without a helluva lot more rambling from me, I present Eurorack's KICK ASS!!! stuff from January 2018(ish). Let's dive into this craziness, shall we?...

[NB: all of these modules have a street price listed and are either available or on the verge of it]

1) River Marble: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/river-marble -- Looks basic, right? Kinda. But this is a 'tilt' EQ, and these are very useful things, not merely for timbral shaping. For those who intend to do a lot of live performance with varying PA circumstances, a simple 'tilt' like this can be a godsend, as it makes it relatively easy to adjust for sonic shortcomings encountered from performance to performance. Bins sounding meh? Well, it's likely that a bit of tweaking of this, right at the end of your signal flow, can correct for that without any need for changing the patch upstream from it. Nice! 'Tilt' control (which doubles as a bell mid EQ, more for shaping sound) is also CVable plus you get a bit of waveshaping for 'beef' factors.

2) Instruo Sinfonion: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-sinfonion -- Totally off-the-chain capabilities for quantizing, chord sequencing, arpeggiation...holy crap, it even handles just intonation! Used at its max, this thing can kick out eight different lines of polyphony. And waaaaay more besides. No, it's not cheap, but there's some serious microprocessing going on behind its panel, and if you tried to do what it does with discrete modules, you'd spend loads more than it costs...if you COULD do all of this with discrete modules. Which I'm betting probably isn't doable.

3) G-Storm Electro Delta VCF r2: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-delta-vcf-r2 -- I loved this filter in its original Korg incarnation. It's a bit dirty but warm, and G-Storm says they've nailed that. Plus it has a very handy 2-input mixer for both audio and filter cutoff, and some extra settings for bandpass response and filter curve. And that price makes it even cooler! Those looking for a filter with lots of color should look into this one.

4) Arturia RackBrute: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/arturia-rackbrute-6u-3u-power (RackBrute's P/S listing). -- No price here, but that's because this is part of Arturia's new 88 hp format cabs in either one or two row capacities. I've been taking a serious look at these racks. Their included power capacities are really hefty for a small (88 or 176 hp) cab, the form factor that allows them to mechanically link up with the also-new patchable MiniBrute v2s is well-designed, and the price for all of this is a clincher. Arturia seems to be drawing a bead on Moog with these new offerings, given they're priced in the general target range of the Mother32 and DFAM, and they're comparable if not better-featured.

5) TAKAAB 3LFO: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-takaab-3lfo -- Those needing basic modulation sources in a tiny space need to pay attention here. For $45 ($45!?!?), you get three LFO circuits in a descending decade of timings, ranging from low audio range at the top of LFO1 to 76 second periods at LFO3's bottom end. No, no CV ins, but these are clearly more for free-running mod sources. 6 hp is a great size for this level of functionality and the price is STOOPID!

6) Strymon Magneto: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/strymon-magneto -- Not at all cheap, but nothing from Strymon usually is. That being said, you get what you pay for from Strymon as a rule. And if features are any indication, you get that in spades here. It does all of the typical delay tricks, then goes several steps further with a pile of other unexpected functions that make it less like a simple effect and more like something you can interact with like a temporal instrument. Plus it doubles down on their tape emulation tricks (also seen in the El Capistan stompbox). Crave that you-can't-afford-the-original Krautrock Dynacord or Echolette sound? You'll probably find it lurking in here.

7) Intellijel Morgasmatron: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-morgasmatron -- OK, David Dixon's take on the Korg MS-20 Sallen-Key filter pair was already insane enough. But Intellijel clearly thought that M0AR was in order! This thing...well, just a cursory glance at the panel reveals lots of extra functionality (some of which you needed the Korgasmatron Expanders for previously), possibly up to and including brewing the perfect espresso. Being a long-time MS-20 user (been through THREE of them across my career) I can assure you that this would be the perfect core filter for any system, especially smaller skiffs. Not only do you get the filtering and all of its voodoo, Intellijel also dropped in some waveshaping and clipping and a ring mod to boot. In short, most anything timbral you might want can likely be cooked up in these 20 hp.

8) Qu-bit Synapse: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-electronix-synapse -- I rip on having lots of VCAs all the time. And this is lots of VCAs, all set up for some signal-routing bad craziness. While it also has its own internal modulation source, imagine this sucker tied in with a MATHS. Does your brain hurt now? Not much to say here, coz the module says it all, and says it in 20 hp.

9) Happy Nerding Isolator: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-isolator -- Now, I'm going to venture a guess that you probably saw this inconspicuous little, cheap 4 hp thing and didn't give it a thought. Mistake! Not only is this a great value in a stereo output module, it offers transformer-balanced outputs. What's the big deal? Well, transformers in an audio path invariably introduce some nice nonlinearities that nice up your audio quality, tighten up the sound, and what-not. Plus, with the useful ground-lift function, you can kill any hum issues that've crept into your sound via ground-loop problems between your rig and whatever you've got it connected to for mixing/processing/amplification/whatever. There's been other devices like this, but neither as small nor as inexpensive. Win!

...and that gets us up to the start of February's offerings. Whew! As noted, I'll probably boot something like this out each month, so stay tuned (either to pelog or slendro!).

Yeah, pretty damn spot-on! As for a do-it-all modulator section, I would see if you can do some reallocation of space to put in a MATHS...that seems like the best fit here, along with some attenuverter-type modules. If you haven't locked yourself in on the rack decision yet, maybe consider a way to add a 1U row for tiles to provide a cheap way to drop utility devices in, just be careful that there's TWO 1U tile standards and the one you're more apt to want is the original, not Intellijel's newer version. Also, have a look at Folktek's Resist module, which fits in just 3 hp and gives you four attenuators which can then be sub-patched into their pin-patch points.

Possibly the best tip I can give is this link: https://synthcube.com/cart/

Bring money.

Given that there's a bunch of third-party versions of Clouds out there now (usually in 8 - 10 hp), my guess would be that Mutable's moved on from Clouds altogether. For my money, I'd feel better about jumping on one of those rather than playing a 'wait and see' game. Plus, leftover space...always good to be able to cram one more thing in!

Both quite cool...sislte's is definitely stranger. Sort of a 'defective pedal steel scrap-metal cello-ish device' sort of thing. Which is neat.

I just kicked this out into the world earlier today: https://daccrowell.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-puget . Apologies for no video, but it was about 19 years ago when this was originally cooked up. Also, not totally 'hands-off' generative, but the way the modular system is programmed, changes to the patch's settings actually take some time to execute as the modular has to 'resettle' into an equilibrium state between alterations, ergo there's very few ways to 'directly' play it in this piece. Sort of 'directed generative', I guess.

Thread: Synth Bass

Nice! I take it the DCP-5 also handles your loop routings as well?

A few, actually:

1) a 2 hp passive mult of some sort. I like SSSR's, since they also incorporate a switch to change the module from 2-in/6-out to 1-in/7-out. Pretty much anything beyond a simpler level small skiff rig needs at least one.

2) Another VCF. Something rather straightforward, actually, such as a basic low-pass or multimode. The Polaris can do this, yes, but it's also something that can work as well (if not better) as an effects processor with its simultaneous ability to waveshape via overdrive plus operate as a phaser with user-specified modulation. You might also go a little weirder here and consider Doepfer's A-106-1, which is based on the Sallen-Key pair found in the Korg MS-20 and which also contains an insert jack pair to drop something into the resonance feedback circuit. That might also be a fun place to insert the Polaris, or to screw around with the audio in that path via the Phonogene. Definitely ups the abuse potential...

3) output stage. The A-138 exp is fine as an audio mixer at the end of the signal path, but you'll want to step your signal down to line level. Erica's Pico OUT might be a good choice as it also gives you a stereo out (useful with the Clouds which, btw, was discontinued by Mutable so you'll either need to have one already, source one from a used source or a dealer that might still have them in stock, hunt down a used one, or go with a third-party build...which isn't a bad idea, as those are usually smaller than the original while retaining all of its functionality), and it also provides a headphone amp, all in 3 hp.

Not sure about the CV->MIDI interface there...is that to lock your synth's clock up as a master with your MIDI, or for something else? If the former, there's probably methods that would work just as well outside of the case, although I would suggest having a MIDI clock (better resolution than the 1ppn clock) for your master and using a little thing such as a Bastl Klik to sync the modular to the MIDI, not the other way around. Plus, if you're talking about locking this to an Elektron Machinedrum, that also should output MIDI clock and start/stop, so a Klik would actually lock the modular to that just fine. Note that with sync, when at all possible, you want to start with a higher resolution clock and go downward to lower resolution ones, not the other way around.

MF-102 isn't a bad choice, but I would check and see if its audio I/O can handle the synth-level signal or if you're going to have to restage the gain to match what the MF-102's input and output want to see. If it insists on line levels at input and output, adding an effects loop I/O module is easy enough and won't take too much space. Better still, Ladik's A-525 offers dual I/O restaging in only 4 hp so if you want to run two different mono effects boxes, that would make that happen. As for the CV connections, there's no problem there. The Moogerfoogers all use standard synth-level CVs and such for those patchpoints.

There's not so much a difference in quality per se between envelope generators, except for the obvious build quality issues that turn up all the time between different manufacturers. The differences that exist mainly have to do with circuit behavior...how the controls respond and what exact values are being set by them, can you change the overall speed of the envelope, exponential or linear, onboard inversion or not, stages, looping/one-shot, and so forth. These are not exactly problematic limitations, but more something you learn to live with and get used to how they behave over time. But it really is a matter of choice, and I've always found it interesting that so many people dote on the four-stage ADSR method when some classic, coveted synthesizers actually never used that; the Minimoog's EGs are actually three-stage (ASR) and much of the Buchla architecture revolved (and largely still does) around two-stage AD envelope generation. But they're all a bit different, and while having a couple of one type (or one of those being a slight variation on the other) is a good idea, having a couple more for somewhat different purposes is always a good idea if you can fit them in.

[NB: While the focus in this essay is on the Eurorack modular format, the build principles discussed here are equally valid for any modular format, from simpler ones such as Tangible Waves' AE to brobdignagian monsters in the MU or Buchla formats, and everything in between. The current state of the art in modular synthesizers appears to be more centered around compatibility these days, as opposed to the earlier period in electronic music instrument development where different standards of many not-so-compatible types were more common, often due to manufacturers electing to adopt a more exclusive stance toward their competitors' standards. Thankfully, this is far less common now than, say, up through the first half of the 1980s when MIDI finally got a firm foothold and made consumers ask why you couldn't hook these older instruments up to each other nicely. The fact is that this issue, possibly more than any other, was the cause of the period of decline of interest in pre-MIDI analog synths from the mid-80s up into the early 1990s, and it's good to see it swept aside for the most part.]

Modular synthesizer. The words conjure up visions of walls of arcane soundmaking implements, connected with mazes of patchcords, looking for all the world like some sort of hallucinatory telephone switchboard. Long the instrument of the elite, well-paid, moneyed musician or the domain of the academic lab, this perception has begun a gradual change in the past ten to fifteen years as a new type of modular synthesizer format known as Eurorack has taken the electronic music world by storm. With smaller, often portable cases and cheaper, easily-available modules appearing on a seemingly-daily basis, the once-rarified domain has gradually been brought down to street level, where anyone who wants some sort of modular synth need not shell out tens of thousands of dollars on some enormous, immovable, studio-bound device. Certainly, even with Eurorack, it's possible to do this...but not necessary, as the sound-production machinery that would be found in something massive such as a Moog 55 can now be had for a fraction of the cost and stuffed into a case about the size of an average carry-on bag.

But should YOU have one? That's an interesting question. Even with the price-slashing and size-shrinking, these are still rather spendy pieces of gear that inevitably pose a learning curve – a dual learning curve, even, since most present-day synth users can freely create their own personalized instruments and, once having done so, they then need to figure out what exactly to do with this thing they've concocted as well as how to do those things effectively.

Initially, there's something very appealing...in a mad-scientist sort of way...of controlling a huge panel of dials and lights and cords running every which way, creating utterly alien sounds to the amazement of all looking on. But at the same time, synthesists have long said that creating electronic music, especially with something large and planted in place, is pretty much about as interesting as watching someone at a desk job. So there's actually a bit of a dichotomy about the 'crowd appeal' of playing a modular synth...or most any other synthesizer, for that matter. Consider: do you think you're putting on the show? Well, then you need to face the audience to have that sense of performer interaction...but if you do, then the audience can't really see what you're up to or, worse, the synthesizer is so huge that no one gets to see you, period. So if the synthesizer is the show, then you're forced into a playing position in which the crowd can see the lights and knobs and so forth...but your back is to them, and you're disconnected from the audience. If you're Miles Davis, this might be workable. But you're probably not Miles Davis. Sideways? Not much better, really. Ahhhh...so, is there a solution? Well...no.

OK, so if you're into 'star appeal', this probably isn't going to be too thrilling for you. You're better off sticking to conventional keyboards, which you can bounce around behind and connect with the crowd while still looking like you're doing something amazing. If you're a musician who's actually into music, though...then this could work. And work in an interesting way, as I've found over the years that performing with a modular setup really forces you to bring your 'A' game when it comes to the music you're performing. Oh, sure, you can also add trippy visuals to the mix, but then we're starting to talk about a level of production values that most synthesists just aren't going to be dealing with unless there's some major bank and logistics making all of that happen. And after whipping out a sizable stack of bills for a modular...even in these times when they're cheaper...money for wild lights and lasers and projections and fog machines and such probably is going to be pretty lacking.

So, quite honestly, modular synthesizers require people dedicated to MUSIC as a primary objective. Anything else is going to get swamped by the device's requirements, either in performance or in the studio. And speaking of 'in the studio', at that point the modular synthesizer is going to force you into a position where you MUST know your device's capabilities inside and out, because the temptation to noodle off into a corner is very real with these devices, and more often than not, this won't wind up being productive when there's a specific task at hand. Instead, these devices can wind up doing something very beneficial: engendering musical discipline.

And this is why very close knowledge of one's modular system is important. If a musician using a modular synthesizer can exercise suitable musical discipline, it makes their interaction with the instrument quicker, more to the point, and much more effective. Results tend to happen fast, especially when you understand the proper method of production of a sound you've envisioned or been requested to do by someone else who's envisioning it. But this comes with practice, with experience, and with diligence – in other words, musical discipline. Also, economy: you get to a point where you can immediately envision the most effective methods of realizing sounds, and this effectiveness leads to using only the exact things required, instead of the beginner method of “let's patch everything to everything else and tweak as many dials as possible”. If you can create a sound with only eight patchcords, then good. Those who can use more, do use more, but they're trying for certain levels of nuance in their programming. A good modular synthesist should only use what's necessary to achieve the correct result; the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approach definitely applies here.

This is not to say that the “let's patch everything...” approach doesn't have its place. Far from it. That sort of experimentation is best left to times of practice and exploration however, and with a modular synthesizer, even a fairly simple one, there's going to be a lot of that! This is how you gain knowledge and understanding of your instrument, how you get your 'voice', so to speak. And it ALSO takes time and discipline. Some people obsess over notating everything they do with these instruments, and I will note that if a performance requires a pretty complex patch, that's not a bad idea. But try as best you can to get used to coming up with the basics on the fly. Over time, you start to understand that certain waveforms work for this thing, that filter setting only gives me these sorts of sounds, this envelope generator has to be set just so for quick snaps and this other way for washes, etc. Time and discipline.

If that 'sounds a lot like work'...well, perhaps you need to go do something else with your time and money. But if you understand that this...like any other musical pursuit...REQUIRES work, then keep right on going with it. Music is actually serious. Sure, it's also fun...but it's serious fun. Always approach the creation of music, irrespective of whatever instruments are involved, with the mindset that “I am going to create something that creates great change”. What that change might be, well, that's up to you. But always step up to what you play with that mindset from the start, and you will find, especially with a complex, nuanced, individualized instrument such as a modular synthesizer, that your footsteps on that creative path are firm and always forward.

Now, let's get into what you need to consider when committing to building your modular synthesizer.

First of all, you need a box to put the stuff in. Always remember that whatever size of box you start with, if you're fairly new to modular synthesizer design, that box is too small. DO NOT use the size of the box as a critical limitation. It is actually far better to set an initial monetary amount that you don't want to cross and then, having done so, work backwards to see how you can make a nearly-similar setup work within your budget constraint. To help with that, I've found a very useful rule of thumb that can help on more basic considerations:

price ÷ width = cost factor

By using this, you figure out that, where basic functions are concerned and various modules tend to be interchangeable, you can factor out a cost-per-hp number that actually shows how much it costs to fill up a given space in a row. The lower this can go overall, the cheaper your system gradually gets. It also has another interesting side-effect, I've noted: it tends to force one into builds in which there is more open panel space, and this can be useful in order to keep space clear to ease interaction with the instrument.

OK, let's say you've figured out that you've got $5,000 to spend. Next, put together something WAY too big for that dollar figure, either on paper or using various computer tools like Modulargrid, etc. This isn't what you'll eventually wind up with, but a 'sketch-space'. You will want ample room to move things in, out, around, assemble possible subsections, and so forth. Having done that, let's move on to SOURCES:

Really, when I talk about 'sources', I'm talking about 'things that make noise'. Oscillators, noise generators, external inputs – all of these are the initial sources from which the voicing section of any synthesizer, modular or otherwise, is made. Even the variety of digital generators that exist...samplers, wavetable oscillators, etc...still fit into the basic category of 'oscillator'. As a rule, you want to group all of these in their various forms in the same general area.

Which brings up an important point: before constructing ANY modular system of your own, look at how others have done this, especially in 'classic' instruments such as Moog systems, patchables such as the ARP 2600 or EML 101 and 200, or in modern builds either by experienced electronic musicians or firms such as Doepfer, Synthesizers.com, et al who have experience in creating factory builds which work well in their off-the-shelf configurations. You should notice that there is a certain type of grouping and work-flow that these various instruments tend to have in common. Note carefully, then continue...

To return to voicing: now, let's divide up your main sound generation devices in the oscillator section. You should have a few more-complex modules, and several very basic ones. How these get used is that much of your actual sound production happens with the complex devices, or with combining the simpler ones. The simpler oscillators generally (but not always!) are more useful in mixed groups, or individually as audio-frequency modulation sources for the complex generators and other processing modules and subsystems. Of course, if you're trying to emulate something simplistic in structure such as a Roland TB-303 or a Micromoog, using just one simple oscillator as the voicing source is just fine, too. But make sure to leave yourself lots of options.

But there's other options than just basic oscillators out there these days. Many digital devices exist in the modular world today that offer analog control over things that, even just several years ago, required full-on microprocessing power to generate. And they still DO...but the microprocessors are now cheap and tiny and tucked behind a modular synthesizer panel, hooked up to real knobs and jacks and such. So now, we can cram in a very functional sampler, various physical modeling devices, PPG-style wavetable scanning (with user-definable wavetables, even!), algorithmic FM synthesis with analog controls, audio loopers/choppers/scramblers...hell, if it generates an audio signal of some sort, you're likely to find it in a voltage-controllable synth module. Even bizzaro random things such as multiple FM radio tuners or even shortwave tuners can be had and hooked in right alongside everything else! So the sky's really the limit in terms of the number of ways you can generate audio signals; if you had a wild hair to try it, you could dispense with proper oscillators altogether and use only physical modelers to generate your initial audio, for example.

At any rate, contiguous to all of this, consider a few initial timbral modifiers such as distorters, wavefolders, audio dividers and harmonic multipliers, and the like. These are very useful at adding harmonic complexity to your initial oscillator outputs and beefing up these sounds into something richer which, when you get these sounds down to the subtractive section of the audio chain, will yield amazing results. And there's a lot of stuff that can do these functions; for example, you can use a comparator to 'square off' most any waveform, creating a variably-shaped clipped pulse wave from pretty much anything, with your pulse duty cycle determined by how you've set the comparator's threshold. And the more complex the waveform going in, the crazier the result coming out the other side will tend to be! Ring-modulators also fit here, since the general rule with them is that you'll be using an oscillator (usually with some simple waveform) in at least one input of it, if not both.

Right by this, or pretty close to it, is where you're going to want some basic mixing capabilities. Even if you're working in a more 'West Coast' direction where intermodulated oscillators create your basic sound, Eurorack still requires the mixing of signals to create a composite result. Even the Buchla designs, the epitome of 'West Coast', still require this for their audio paths. Why not just patch 'em all into a multiple, then? Ohhhhh...you DON'T want to do THAT. Why? Well, many modules use diode protection on their outputs to let you connect multiple outputs together for summing in that way...but many other modules DO NOT contain diode protection for their outputs. Don't get into the habit of doing this, therefore; the cardinal rule of patching is to NEVER, EVER connect an output to an output, no matter whether the manufacturer says it's safe or not! It only takes one misadventure with a reverse voltage coming back into an output, thereby wrecking one or both (or more!) modules, to show you first-hand why you NEVER, EVER do this! This is why mixers exist, folks!

Going one step further, you might consider a voltage-controlled mixer. Now, these are only partly mixers; the rest of a voltage-controlled mixer consists of voltage-controlled amplifiers, or VCAs. VCAs are the 'Rodney Dangerfields' of synthesis: they don't get no respect. People often ignore these boring modules...and they shouldn't! VCAs in an audio path, especially in a voltage-controlled mixer, allow you to control changes in oscillators, filters, etc etc as a unified part of a patch. If you, for example, want a gradual change of timbre by going from some complex FM subpatch to a pure tone like a single sinewave, VCAs are the things that allow voodoo like that to happen. Just patch an envelope to one VCA and set it one way, then another, different envelope to another and set it to rise in volume as the other falls. FM subpatch to one, sine to the other, mix...and voilá! It's magic! Well...no, it's just VCAs at work.

OK, back to our build. Now, let's move back over to below the oscillator section. Oh, I didn't mention the noise or external input? You're right...and that's because noise actually has a different intensive use which we'll get to in a bit, and the placement of the input preamp (and, potentially, an envelope follower) can actually go most anywhere in your audio chain sections, depending on what you think you'll want it for. If it's another 'source', then up by the oscillators is fine, but if you just want to mangle sound, then it's OK to locate it closer to filters, effect processors, and so forth. But back to that next section...in here, you'll likely want to put modulation sources, since they'll be used on both the oscillators above and filters, which you want to locate directly across from them.

Modulation sources that operate below the audio-frequency range really get divided into two types: running and triggered. Running sources are things such as LFOs, function generators, looping envelopes...anything that does its thing as long its active or by itself. Triggered sources, however, are where we find 'one-shot' envelope generators and their ilk, since these devices tend to only operate as programmed when they've received a gate or trigger signal from elsewhere in the synthesizer. And there's plenty of stuff that fits into an 'in-between' zone where certain modules can be configured to operate under either condition.

Why have these? Well, a good modulator compliment has loads of uses. You can use their subsonic control voltage signals to affect the pitches of audio sources, alter the behavior of filters, control VCAs, creating all sorts of sonic variation in this way. A hefty modulator compliment allows the synthesist to program sounds that evolve over time, that possess lots of internal complexity, or 'humanize' the sounds being generated. And this doesn't go for just 'East Coast' systems; Don Buchla's synthesizers relied heavily on modulation sources, both sonic and subsonic, to create their particular sound and programming methods. Plus, these signals can be mixed just like audio, by using DC-coupled mixers and/or VCAs that allow the subaudio frequency and/or DC voltages to pass through and be combined. As a result, it's possible with just a couple of basic mixers and VCAs to create insanely-complex modulation signals with just a handful of basic modulation sources. Also, without envelopes or LFOs or the like, the low-pass gates of these (a core part of their distinctive sound) would be totally useless in the way we're used to utilizing them, as one example. And there's lots of other examples where, with a little imagination, you can see that not having modulation sources would equal some pretty boring sounds.

Anyway, one other thing you want in this area, close by the oscillators, is processing for the oscillator control voltages. And this gets us to multiples, another unfortunately-neglected family of devices.

Multiples are pretty much what they sound like: one signal goes in, several come out, preferably identical. They're a backbone of modular programming in that they let you send a single output to lots of different input locations at the same time. Any decent system, even of the smallish variety, needs these. But when we're talking about more precise signals, such as a control voltage that drives several oscillator pitches, then a problem can arise: voltage droop. You don't want this if all of your audio sources have to stay in tune with each other, and it's caused by some complicated electronic mumbo-jumbo wherein different signal loading factors across several multiple-split inputs cause a precisely-scaled single voltage to...well, droop. Not...good. So there's another sort of multiple, the buffered multiple, that fixes this. Buffered multiples are actually active devices; they take an incoming signal, regenerate it so that all of the buffered outputs are identical, and increase the overall strength of the signal so that a single control voltage can remain identical at each CV input. In theory, you can drive 3-4 or a couple more VCOs off of each buffered output, whereas if you tried this with a more typical passive multiple, you'd start running into intonation problems after hooking several VCO pitch inputs up to a passive mult. So, for larger, more oscillator-dense builds, using a buffered multiple to split up a basic VCO pitch control voltage is essential. But on smaller systems, not so much, and a regular ol' passive multiple works fine to split signals with only a slight loss due to loading.

Sooooo...up in that spot I mentioned, you put the appropriate mult, and then you also put slew generators right by this, since their function is to modulate the oscillator control voltage in various an interesting ways. A lot of the time, these function as basic portamento (or 'glide') modifiers which can slide control voltages between discrete voltage level steps. But there are lots of variations, such as slew gens that can vary their behavior depending on whether voltage levels are ascending or descending, slew limiters that allow you to voltage control their behavior across intervals of time, and then there's the special case of variable slope generators. Now, these arcane thingys are definitely weird, and definitely neat. Technically, yes, you can use these as basic slew generators. But they actually fit more into the realm of function generators, devices that either continually or upon triggering output certain user-determined voltage curves (or, as they're termed in mathematics, functions, as the behavior of a function generator actually depends on mathematically-determined processes imposed upon a static voltage source). These things kick ass! You can use them as two-stage envelope generators, user-defined-waveform LFOs, even as oscillators...and the waveforms can either be altered by changing their rise and fall times manually or...get this...with OTHER modulators. Nuts! They originally appeared in Serge Tcherepnin's famous West Coast design, the self-named Serge synthesizer, but have seen an ever-increasing adaptation to Eurorack application as well. Why would you want some of these? Hell...why WOULDN'T you want some of these! In fact, many savvy builders make absolutely sure that space is available for them, with the Make Noise MATHS being the most-employed version of these modules. So, not just for portamento anymore!

Alongside those, LFOs make the most sense, particularly if you want to push some into the audio range where you might want some CV scaling that gets patched in tandem with the audio oscillators. Also note that you can send that same regenerated, scaled voltage to a lot of places where pitch (or a specific voltage level for some other use) is important, such as filter cutoff frequencies. Below or beside your LFOs should go envelope generators, and these can be either looping (which actually makes them more akin to function generators, especially if you can voltage control their envelope parameters) or one-shot ones that only work when triggered by a gate or trigger signal. You never want just one of these devices. By having a few different envelopes, all triggered simultaneously but set differently, you can create sonic behavior that changes across an entire sonic event, by sending one envelope to your VCAs for your oscillator mixing, another to a filter's envelope cutoff frequency, a third to that filter's resonance or Q, and maybe a fourth to reshape the final signal going into the output mixer. BTW, these devices are called 'envelope generators' because a very old term for the amplitude contour of a sound event is that event's 'envelope'. But like other things in a modular synth, you don't have to use them just for shaping that amplitude event. Always consider other purposes for things; your results may amaze you!

Back across the rack again, to the right of all of these modulators and under/by the VCO/waveshaping section, we're going to want some filters. Yes, even in a West Coast setup, because the subtractive processing that filters do have lots of uses in timbrally altering those complex modulated audio signals there. And speaking of West Coast, the most ubiquitous 'filter' you find in those systems is the aforementioned low pass gate.

Low pass gates are actually a combination of devices: a VCA and a low-pass filter. They work in tandem, as a rule, and almost always see use on audio signals. The 'classic' low pass gate also makes use of one other arcane element: an optical isolator element. Now, this thing as originally designed by Don Buchla used that optoisolator to keep control-voltage-level signals in his synthesizers separated from direct connection to the audio chain, since the control and audio systems in Buchlas are at different voltage levels and voltage leakage from one could cause harm to the other. But the neat thing about the optoisolated low pass gate is that the optoisolator doesn't 'perfectly' control things. Instead, there's a certain aspect to the decay, caused by the dimming of the light source as the control voltage drops off (instead of simply stopping cold, which would happen if a direct connection occurred here) that gives the LPG a certain character that is sort of unique. Now, since those days, there's also been the development of LPGs in which the control voltage DOES directly control the VCA and low-pass filter in the same way as the optocoupled signal, but these tend to sound smoother and, as a result, don't have that 'woody plunk' (as it's been described more than once) of the original opto versions.

But those are weird (and fun!) and rather unlike the vast majority of filters you find in synthesizers, which are designed for a dual purpose: 1) they remove parts of the frequency domain of the raw audio signal coming out of an oscillator (or several) to reshape the signal's timbre, or tone color, and 2) they accentuate other parts, usually around what's referred to as the filter's 'cutoff frequency' by using a feedback circuit to emulate physical resonance of a cavity or other sound-producing object. The amount of this control is either referred to as, simply, 'resonance' but you also see it called 'Q', which is an engineering abbreviation for that. While there's a lot of other, more exotic resonant filters, the vast majority come in four distinct flavors:

1) Low-pass filters. These are the 'bread and butter' of subtractive synthesis. They remove signals above their cutoff frequency, and when resonant, accentuate frequencies just below the cutoff frequency. When you think of what a basic synthesizer sound is like, I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll be thinking of a sound processed through a low-pass VCF.
2) High-pass filters. Take a low-pass filter and turn it on its head. Same idea, except now all of the frequencies below the cutoff go away and ones just above the cutoff get accentuated. If you tandem these, you get either...
3) Bandpass filters. Low and highpass in series give us the classic bandpass response. In this case, the 'cutoff' is better termed the 'center' frequency, and changing the resonance of this filter tightens the span of frequencies being passes while peaking the ones right by the center frequency. Or...
4) Band-reject (or 'notch') filters. Pretty much the opposite of the above, which you get with low and highpass filters in parallel. The center frequency is then where everything drops, and the more you increase the resonance, the more that frequencies around the center frequency disappear. However, this can be kind of weird, because the span narrows as you increase Q and more signals around the center start to appear instead of vanish.

Multimode filters are simply a couple of low and highpass filters behind the same panel and some sort of switching and/or mixing capability to combine their responses to create bandpass and/or band-reject behavior. And that's pretty much it for your basic resonant filters.

But modular synthesizers often make use of NON-resonant filters. These often take the form of filterbanks, a paralleled array of fixed-frequency cut-only filters that allow the user to manually shape the timbral curve of a signal by altering the levels of these different filters, sometimes by changing an input level to the individual filters, or changing the respective output level. A few even have 'break-outs', which channel the fixed bandpass filter to individual outputs; this arrangement is necessary in a vocoder, where one filterbank would divide up a 'control' signal (such as a voice) into multiple discrete bands, sending this to envelope followers which then control the bandpass levels of yet another filterbank dividing up the frequency domains of a 'carrier' signal. A 'graphic equalizer' is another form of filterbank, although these can also (non-resonantly) boost signals as a rule as well as cutting the levels of their discrete bands. Using a filterbank as one typically sees in a modular synthesizer is akin to using it as a cut-only graphic equalizer.

Another (usually) non-resonant filter typically seen is the 'formant' filter, a set of passband filters which have rather wide passbands that center on typical harmonics found in vocal sounds. This was a key device in an early electronic instrument called the 'Trautonium' and was used to filter the audio generated by a florescent-tube relaxation oscillator (exotic, hm?) that was very harmonic-rich, in order to create different timbral combinations. The Trautonium, invented by Friedrich Trautwein, actually saw a good bit of use in compositions for the instrument by Paul Hindemith and Ernst Krenek and others, particularly in the 1930s. However, the formant filter also comes in resonant varieties...and these are weeeeeird! You can sort of imagine how this works in a signal path: consider how so-called 'overtone singing' works, where an upper partial of a vocal sound is pushed via various methods by a singer into sounding out clearly, as if the singer was producing a second note, or potentially even a third! There was a very famous analog monosynth some years back, now quite rare, called the Synton Syrinx that was based around this very sort of resonant formant filter, and its qualities were very prized among synthesists because of how its resonant formant filter could create a seemingly-endless variety of timbres and textures. Sort of a Trautonium on 'roids!

Technically, a phase shifter is sort of a filter device as well. In its case, a very odd creature called an 'all-pass' filter is slowly modulated and, sometimes, very slightly time-shifted against the original input signal to create the classic 'sweeping' timbral changes we know as 'phasing'. Note, though, that this is actually NOT like the original 'phase-shifting' technique one began to see in the 1960s. It sounds sort of like it, but it's a 'cheap' method to recreate the real thing, which was actually caused by taking two identical tape recordings and slightly 'dragging' one out of 'phase' with the other by physically slowing one or the other tape machine with a finger against the supply reel flange. Hence the real time-domain effect's name: 'flanging', which is actually capable of more extreme sonic transformations than a typical phase shifter. This doesn't mean, though, that phase shifters are just some 'cheap copy' effect device; because of how they work, especially the modular variety, you can use a modulation signal very different from the typical sine or triangle wave LFO in a phaser stompbox. The results can be quite interesting, especially if some very discontinuous jumps in the modulation signal get fed into the phase shifter's mod input.

One filter that's actually not a filter, by the way, is the sort-of-not-well-named 'comb filter'. Don Buchla's version aside (his is just a misnamed filterbank, actually), this is actually better described as a 'tuned delay line' which rings at a specific frequency and its overtone nodes when energized by an incoming signal. It gets the 'filter' confusion because the ringing behavior is more accentuated when sounds run through it have a wavelength similar to the harmonic resonant cavity the delay is set to emulate. But in reality, the 'comb filter' actually belongs more to the wonderful and weird world of physical modeling, and that gets complicated. If you want to know more on what to do with tuned delays, look into a few articles on Karplus-Strong synthesis, which has these devices as the core of a whole different method of sound synthesis.

...anyway, there's all sorts of other weird, fantastic, freaky variations on filters in the modular synthesizer world. But let's move on to randomness. Literally.

Random signals are very necessary in pretty much ANY type of synthesis. At their most basic, noise, they form the basis of a vast array of percussion sounds in the natural sound world and the electronic one as well. But there's more to noise than just noise. The term actually applies to any signal that fluctuates randomly; what we call 'white noise' is actually an incredibly-fast voltage fluctuation that can appear at any given frequency at the same level at any time. It sounds the way it does because our hearing processes experience it in that way. White noise is far from a single sound, however, and by using a ubiquitous module called a 'sample and hold', we can see this noise has all sorts of too-fast-to-perceive discrete states.

Sample and hold circuits are part of a huge gamut of devices (as are noise generators) which fall into the class of 'random signal' modules. S&Hs are able to slice up random signals, such as different varieties of noise, when they receive a trigger pulse. When that happens, a 'voltage buffer' then locks into the voltage level that was present at the S&H's input at the instant the trigger was received. And lo and behold, you have a discrete voltage taken right out of the noise's instant state at the point in time the S&H was triggered! Sample and holds, however, are sort of the interface between the 'determinate' parts of the synthesizer (audio signals, etc) and the 'indeterminate' world of signals which we don't parse as something specific in frequency, timbre, and so on. You can control filters, oscillators, and so on with the voltages sample and holds derive from all sorts of sources; a very nifty trick is to use an LFO's fluctuating voltage as a sample source with a trigger pulsed at a rate that is faster than the LFO's frequency, then controlling a VCO with that while sending the trigger pulse on to an envelope generator, etc etc. It's neat and spacey. Try it sometime if you haven't before.

But other randomnesses exist beside noise. There are all sorts of 'chaotic' circuit behaviors that have been harnessed in synthesizers, ranging from pretty straightforward (cascaded and/or paralleled LFOs) to very exotic (modules that use complex equations which result in semi-deterministic outputs, such as Euclidian sequencers, Sources of Uncertainty, etc). But you really want your noise devices in the vicinity of these critters to make it easy to sub-patch all sorts of chaotic activity and send that all over the place, or just as well, have randomness devices that incorporate their necessary noise circuits.

Right around this area as well, which I like to put below the modulators and near the left-bottom/front tiers, you also want a lot of devices that either generate or alter clocked or unclocked gate/trigger pulses. This dovetails well with the chaotic section, strangely, because a number of the 'chaotic' modules need the very 'deterministic' modules of this other sort to do what they do. It also puts them in a nice place where they can work with a sequencer or two, either onboard or outboard, and places them in reach of your main controller for easily altering time-based activity on the fly. Lots of things can go in here, ranging from comparators which can 'read' fluctuating voltages in various ways to output gates or triggers, quantizers which constrain fluctuating voltages to specific levels in step (or not) with a clocked device, logic arrays that combine and alter pulsed signal patterns to derive all sorts of rhythmic mayhem, and various clock modulators that divide, multiply, alter the patterns of, and count clock pulses for loads of different uses. Those of you reading this who like the notion of 'generative music' will want to take a rather close look at these types of modules, as they're key to creating a constant cascade of shifting, varying rhythmic structures depending on how they're patched up and what's present there for that patching.

To the right, you'd like to see your effect processors. But between all of this pulsing craziness and those aural scramblers, you're going to want to try and shoehorn in a few linear, DC-coupled VCAs (for working with control voltage levels) as well as some other boring devices, namely attenuators (or attenuverters, which allow you to polarize or invert control voltage signals in addition to changing their levels). These seem pointless, but the fact is that you can create a lot of control and sonic nuance by having these simple things there where they can branch their processed signals back up into the morass of patchcords forming above them as you fiddle with them. Never neglect things because they might seem 'boring', as they're only as boring as their user's imagination when within a modular synthesizer.

OK, effects. This one's up to you. A lot of what goes into this area depends on the sort of sound the music you create demands. DO make sure, however, that your effects processors are capable of interfacing with the various modulation sources you've put in. Don't just get a 'thing with a knob' and expect it to yield the same amazing variety as a similar 'thing', but one which has a few CV inputs that allow it to merge in with the activity in your patch. Best placement for all of this is above or beside the final mixer and below or after the filters; if you think about 'why there?' for a minute, you should realize that there's a pattern to all of this. It's NOT consisting of 'toss crap into case, hope for the best, then get really confused and angry when realizing how dumb that tactic was' as a build method.

The key to understanding how you're seeing me step through these different sections has to do with 'signal flow'. Anything that flows needs to flow as simply and directly as possible. Water in pipes doesn't deal very well with all sorts of convolutions and diameter changes to the pipe it's in. A story has a distinct start, middle, and end, and deviating from how that should work gives you an incoherent mess. And modular synthesizers...since they are musical instruments, after all...need to be thought out as rationally and as carefully developed as any other instrument. You wouldn't put the bridge on a guitar about two inches to the right of where the strings are strung, right? It has a place.

Likewise, in almost all cases when I design a build, I always follow a single rule of thumb as to how signals flow in a modular synthesizer. This pattern is what I call “up-left/down-right”. Control signals are derived and modified along the LEFT side, since right-handed people (like myself) tend to use our right hands in a more precise manner, and a little 'slop' is OK sometimes in working with control generators, modifiers, and modulators. But more precise and frequent actions, such as tweaking filters, adjusting mixers to achieve timbral/tonal balances, carefully tuning VCOs, and the like are best done with ones' dominant hand. So if you're a lefty, just flip this pattern around the other way, works just fine.

So, control signals mostly flow UPWARD on the left, increasing in automnity until the 'voicing' section is reached. At that point, control signals change to audio signals, and then flow mostly DOWNWARD on the right, from 'voicing' thru 'filtering' then 'fx' and to, yep, the output. Sure, there's also going to be some criss-crossing of the patch panel, but with everything grouped in this way, it actually makes it very easy to track the source and destination of these patchcords. These are also, quite often, sources and destinations you're going to want to pay more attention to while playing that patch configuration, so the fact that the 'sideways' patchcords act sort of like arrows pointing at these makes things even more intuitively interactive. And this flow method applies equally well for smaller builds as it does for huge studio systems.

And that brings us to the lower-right, where our output stage is. Remember how the effects are just above this? This makes it easy, if the system's mixer has an AUX send/return capability, to drop one or more of the effects processors into that loop, and just as easy to tweak it in conjunction with using the final mixer. Now, also in this area, you might want some submixers which, again, incorporate VCAs to control signal levels. But in this area specifically, ALWAYS use AC-coupled exponential VCAs. There are important reasons for this...

First of all, our hearing apparatus (ears and brain) responds to what's known as 'apparent loudness' as an exponential function. Not linear. As things increase in decibel level, they are actually increasing in kinetic energy in a 'law of squares' manner, and not in a straight line. So if you want something to seem as if it's increasing smoothly in volume, you're actually not increasing the level of the sound energy in a straight line, but more in something akin to an asymptotic curve. So to get actual instrument-like contours of volume imposed on our final signals, the last VCAs they go through have to respond to their control signals with exponential changes in dynamics.

The other critical reason for using this particular variety of VCA has to do with a nasty, lurky issue that crops up quite a bit: DC offset. Remember the bit a ways back about Don Buchla and his optoisolated low pass gates? This factors into that, and was part of what Don avoided with that curious bit of circuitry. DC offset is what happens when a DC (or subsonic) voltage gets imposed onto an audio signal. It's sort of like the desirable 'offset voltage' where a certain DC voltage gets added to another existing one to transpose, etc something like a filter cutoff or VCO pitch. But in this case, you absolutely do not, ever, EVER want to run a DC offset out with your audio and into any sort of amplification. The results are ugly. At the very least, you'll introduce a lot of undesired phasing issues into what should be a nice, clean output signal, which is especially nasty if your modular outputs in stereo and the DC offsets aren't the same in each channel. At the very worst, you can literally destroy speakers, amplifiers, and probably your synth out of your own reaction to seeing smoke coming out of your speaker cabs and bad charry smells emanating from the amp. Blame the messenger and take it out on the modular, right? Well...no. It's your dumbass mistake for not isolating the DC out of the outputs by using the right VCA in the right place! So...use the right device in the right place. That's why there's AC-coupled VCAs.

(And, oh, sure, I know that lots of synths of the past didn't use AC-coupled outputs. The ARP 2600 comes to mind. But you learned to keep that DC 'thump' OUT of the outputs...sometimes, the hard way, although I never got to see anything go kaboom due to my own errors here.)

Then, your mixer. Do get something appropriate to the modular's mission. If this is a smaller rig, mono output is just fine since you'll likely be doing simpler, single patches, one at a time, and this is another great place for voltage-controlled mixers. Make sure to have an output stage, though, since synthesizers have operating voltage levels that are generally considerably higher than typical line levels that a mixer, amp input, etc would like to see. Note that 'generally', though; some things actually have sufficient headroom to handle a raw synth-level audio signal. The thing to keep an eye out for in this case are pieces of equipment that have a headroom that's quite high, either capable of handling +20 over 0 db or better, or which have some sort of input attenuation that can back the device's level sensitivity down to a point where it doesn't distort when presented with a synth-level signal. Be careful, however, as not all things that appear to attenuate the signal at input are actually doing that, and it's very possible to fry sensitive input-stage components with a typical +/- 8V AC signal directly out of a synthesizer mixer that has no output stage.

If you're going to be doing more elaborate work, though, stereo mixers are the better choice, because...well, let's say you're doing a live gig in which there's four different pieces that use four distinctly different sounds out of your modular, and each uses processing, etc that definitely results in a stereo image. The thing to do (and the reason some of these modular systems are SO FRICKIN' HUGE) is to patch each 'instrument' up on a separate channel of your stereo mixer, and then fade between these as needed. This sort of thing is also where submixers come in handy, so you can do your final submix on a separate module, then perhaps use a panner (or not) before the stereo mixer module's input. Also, the stereo performance mixers that are becoming more prevalent often offer VCA control over levels, stereo panning, and even AUX sends and returns, so having something that does more for you, rather than you doing a lot with it...well, that's always a 'win'.

Lastly, perhaps the most boring of all the boring stuff that can bore you with a modular synthesizer: power.

Having figured out what you want in this box after what's likely to be months (or more) of twiddling, searching, head-scratching, conniption fits, seizures, and your doctor asking you if you've been to regions where 'certain fungal infections' are common, and you're ready to toss down that plastic and make it SCREEEEEEEEAAAAAM...well, hold on. Behind all of these panels and cords and lights and knobs and jacks and so on is something very critical that also doesn't get a lot of thought, and that's your power system. It won't work at all without that, right? You'd feel pretty derpy and defective if, when it came time to turn the synth on, there was no...thing...which turned it on. Duh.

Modular synthesizers have, as a rule, three parts to their power systems. The first, obviously, is a power supply. Now, it is extremely possible, if you weren't paying attention to the cumulative current draw of all of these modules, to wind up putting a power supply into (or connecting it to) your modular synthesizer that is underspecced in amperage. And that won't be good. Quite often, too much draw on a power supply that's not rated for high enough amperage results in power supply go BOOM...and sometimes, parts of your synthesizer as well! So, keeping track of accurate current draws as they add up is critical, and will determine the final cost and current capacity of your supply. While there's probably going to be some readers who think this is excessive, I like to have a power supply for something of this sort that can supply at least 1/3rd more amperage than the system presumably requires. On power-up, some devices can actually draw more current than the rating that they have (tube devices are notorious for this, as was Roland's 'Aria' module series), and if sufficient current headroom isn't present, again, boom, etc. Also, a less-taxed power supply is a happy power supply, because it's a cooler power supply, and the thing that causes more device failures over time in electronic components is sustained component heating. So, if you get a result of 3000 mA as a total draw on your +12 rail, go with a power supply that can deliver 4 ½ amps to that rail.

One other thing about power supplies is that there's two different types. One is the linear variety; these tend to be extremely stable, generate no noise onto the DC outputs, but the tradeoff there is that they're rather expensive and definitely a lot heavier. For a portable rig, you probably wouldn't be happy with lugging a modular equipped with a linear power supply, although it would sound awesome. Then the other, and vast majority, are of the switching variety. These are cheap, lightweight, but produce their DC through extremely high frequency transformation methods, and so some of them can actually impart noise onto your DC rails if they're shoddily-made. There are methods of filtering this HF crud, however, ranging from filtering schemes on distro boards by several manufacturers to using ferrites to block high frequency AC garbage on your DC lines. But the best rule of thumb there is to obtain power supplies that are well-made and especially those that are recommended and/or used by module or system manufacturers, as these firms really don't want to deal with the problems that substandard power supplies can cause.

Part two of this important system is distribution. No, not the distribution boards...the wiring and power inlets, especially between the power supply itself and the distros. If you're thinking of doing this yourself, make sure to check amperage ratings for wire gauges, and whatever these say, go one gauge bigger. Again, the issue partly lies with keeping the power supply happy, because a less-resistive load before the distro boards will make for a more stable supply. But also, some of the issue lies with the wiring itself, in that not allowing for ample current flow will lead to both voltage drop to the distros as well as heating (and possibly damage) of the DC wiring itself. Again, when in doubt, always overspec. Power inlets, also, should offer some way of letting you know that not only is the system switched on, but that the power rails themselves are properly supplied. Indicators for both 12 volt rail polarities should be present if the panel size allows for it, and also +5 volts if you're making use of numerous modules that require it.

And last, the distribution boards themselves. Get filtering. I can't state this more clearly; filtering is essential. The sad fact is that lots of modules send signal leakages of all sorts back down their DC lines, and this can get into other modules if there's not any filtering present in there to get this under control. This undesirable signal leakage can do lots of irritating things, creep out into your patches, destabilize modules unexpectedly, and...just trust me, get filtered distros. You'll be a lot happier than if you didn't. As for the whole keyed/unkeyed, 16-pin versus 10-pin, and other arguments...meh. These are matters of taste, convenience, and what different manufacturers demand. Suffice to say, as far as the 16-versus-10 pin thing goes, just go with 16-pin distros, as there's plenty of 16-to-10 pin ribbon cables to deal with running across modules that insist on 10-pin connection. Keyed and shrouded versus unkeyed/unshrouded...just exercise way more caution that you think you should about connection position and rererereREread manufacturers' instructions on how their gear likes to be connected, as there is still some variation out there (but why? Shouldn't this all have been sorted out long ago?).

Then stick it in a real box. Not the virtual one, or a bunch of grid lines. A physical, actual thing.

Now, this is where things get strange. You're all ready to slap this monster together and then OHMYGAWD just look at how expensive these cases are! And yeah, they do get spendy, although in the past couple of years there's been some movement toward cases that cost less and which are still substantial. But even with that, if you want to put together a modular system of any size...large, small, or in-between...there's definitely a broad range of prices in all of these capacities. And while some prices, to me at least, are just outright damned unreasonable, you have to take some things into account while rushing for the bathroom to deal with that nosebleed that case-shopping has caused.

First of all, consider what the rest of the synth costs. Now, would you like to put that in some flimsy piece of crap? Probably not. And good-quality hardware simply costs real money. Manufacturers who build heavy-duty hardware such as pro-grade Pelican cases into Eurorack housings might charge a chunk of change, but you know exactly what you're getting there: security and smash-resistance. On the other hand, someone dropping rails into a vintage thrift-store suitcase might be making something that looks trendy, but...ahh, would you, say, stand on it? Pile a bunch of other heavy crap on top of it? I think I know the answer to that...and I KNOW I know the answer to what happens as a rule if you did!

Also, keep in mind that, at some point or another, you're going to want to take that big-ass cab out of the studio and stick it in front of an audience. Now, do you have health insurance for the hernia surgery? Bigger systems take some care in selection, and quite often it is better to build larger modular synthesizers in several smaller cases so that you can disassemble the whole mess and pack it up in a more convenient space for transport. Should you do this, I note, you'll likely wind up with separate power systems in each case, and so you'll want to calculate your current draw PER CASE in addition to figuring out what the entire setup should be. A very few large cabs are fairly transportable (ADDAC's Monster series, for example), but the basic rule is that if you go big, also go 'broken up', unless you never, ever intend on taking the instrument out from where you install it.

Ultimately, the watchword for case selection is 'practicality'. It shouldn't be all that difficult, given all of the case styles, manufacturers, and configurations out there these days, to figure out which case works in your...uh, case. Sure, some designs might look snazzy, but how will they look in five years time and usage? Or ten? Or longer, because modular synth cases are not the sort of thing that most users turn around and pitch as if some fashion trend dictated it. Are you OK with the rails? The hardware? The way your hands move over the patch panel's plane? Does it 'feel playable'? Again, be practical. After all of the other effort, you definitely can afford to!

And this brings up one more case-but-module point: the current (as of this writing) 'tile wars'. I like tiles...the little 1U minimodules that can add a lot of extra functionality to a system. They've gotten pretty capable, too; some tiles are the equivalent of basic, standard-sized Eurorack modules at this point, and I think that's great. It allows you more versatility and opens up more room in 3U-land. If you can fit 'em in, by all means do so. They're great. But not if tile A can't fit in case B. And right now, this is the situation as there are two different tile size standards, and while one size can be (sort of) made to fit the other, the reverse is not true. I don't think, frankly, that this is tenable. Consider the whole situation between Analogue Systems' 'Eurorack' and the actual form factor cooked up by Dieter Doepfer from the industrial standard. True, some manufacturers make panels which have the oval holes needed to fit either the AS racks or the standard-conforming ones. But not all. And putting AS modules into regular Eurorack cabs which have fixed fastener positions just...doesn't...work; the only way this works is with sliding nuts, and that gets into a whole 'nother debate altogether. So I'm going to take a second in this paragraph to get up on my soapbox and say to the firm doing this schismic thing, “Guys...please think this over again.” Everyone making tiles, irrespective of form factor, is doing awesome work, and this being Eurorack we should be able to put these modules anywhere, and not be forced into taking some proprietal side. After all, how big of a player IS Analogue Systems and their not-exactly-on-center module standard these days, hmm? Hmmmmmm???

All that aside, and as for the rest, once you've taken the plunge and either mortgaged your firstborn for that 21U system, or just cobbled up a little box of toys...it's just a matter of getting used to this strange device you've allowed into your home and life. Takes time, diligence, patience, and a good ear...but the rewards are worth it, and the whole thing is one of those matters that's more about the journey than the destination. Remember to have fun with the process, and then you're pretty assured that you'll have fun with the resulting modular synthesizer you've created.

GOOD LUCK!

DAC Crowell (aka Lugia @ Modulargrid)
http://daccrowell.bandcamp.com

With what you have on hand at this point, the only two modules I feel iffy about would be the Dual ADSR and the Tempi. The latter is more useful if you have a number of different devices that require all sorts of shifting clock values, such as a few sequencers. Sure, you can also use the differently-timed outputs for triggering envelopes, etc, but the only other thing I see here that is really timing-centered is the Wogglebug, and it has its own internal clock source which it can also output. To save money and clear some space, you might consider a couple of small clock modulator modules, such as a clock divider (Doepfer's A-160-2 is a good choice) and something else to screw around with timing values. Actually, EMW has some interesting things for this, notably a couple of pulse counters that offer some interesting abuse potential.

As for the Dual ADSR, for what it is, it's not bad, but you can cram a couple of other ADSRs and then some into the 14 hp it currently occupies. Look at various envelope generators down in the 4 hp size range, and you'll find plenty, as well as the ability to put in a few EGs that have different behaviors. That's always useful; things like DADSRs, for example, give you the added extra of an inboard trig/gate delay, which means you can screw with time values a little more by offsetting the DADSR's envelope timing. Root around a bit more and let your imagination wander.

Also, if we're talking 'dissonant experimental sounds', you've got to shove some sort of ring modulation in there somewhere. The one I'm pretty jazzed about, and have been for some time, is Intellijel's uMod II. Not only can it do traditional-style ring modulation, because it's a variation known as a quadrant modulator it has some other uses. It can output either purely 'sums' or 'differences' instead of both at once, and it also has some capabilities for logical functions and other nifty arcana. At 6 hp, you could stuff one of these and a couple of 4 hp EGs into the hole now occupied by the Dual ADSR, and get even better/wilder results in that 14 hp space.

None of these are huge and/or spendy items, either...you might find that if you shop carefully, you've actually reduced the cost of your system a bit. That's always a win!

Thread: Effects only

That's the wrong device for that. The ADDAC 301 is for expression pedal controllers, not audio. You're looking for something more like the Ladik A-525 which is designed to handle audio signal level changes. Connecting an effects pedal to an ADDAC 301 would expose the effect's input to the DC voltage coming out of the module, and that would = unhappy effect box. Major oops, possible release of the Magic Blue Smoke.

Yeah, maybe 7 or so VCOs is a tad much. I get carried away with lots of crossmodulative patches, tho, so probably force of habit there.

As for processor effects, have a look at this ongoing discussion I'm having: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/2863 . We're discussing strategies about that very thing: how to get a send out, what to do with it, and how to get it back into the synth via a return.

There are actually some mixers that can handle the abuse of being fed synth-level signals, amazingly enough. I can do this with my Mackie 1202, but mine's also a rev.1 and I'm not sure about the present VLZ version. However, there have been threads on sites such as Muff Wiggler etc that go into which small outboard mixers can deal with high input levels. The critical key here is to have some sort of input trim control which can back the incoming level sensitivity waaaaaaaay down to regular ol' line level. As for raising the level back up, there's small signal preamps that should be able to accomplish this. But yeah, that signal flow diagram you show above is the right method if you use an outboard mixer with a couple of AUX sends. Just make sure that your AUXes are set PRE-fader so you can cut the Rosie's send fader out to avoid feedback. Having done this, then send your stereo (or mono) effect outs back into the mixer's line inputs to create an effects mix to go to the Rosie stereo return.

Another method would be to put together some tiles in one of Syinsi's 12-tile minicabs, with their Pedal I/O tiles doing the heavy lifting and some additional tiles to allow splitting/mixing of effect signals, maybe even a couple of LFOs and VCAs to do some audio modulation. Either way, what you want to do here is to take the Rosie's mono send, find a way to split it amongst a few effects, then some method of mixing the effect-outs back in a desired configuration in stereo to go back to the Rosie's stereo return. If using this route, a simple buffered mult tile can split the single send into three mono signals, then these would go to three effect I/O tiles. The returns from the effects can go back to these if they're mono, but if they're stereo you'll need three more effect I/Os to reboost. Mono: use a single three or four channel mixer to combine the effects for the Rosie's FX return; stereo: use two, same idea.

See, this is the neat thing about modular: the 'instrument' doesn't have to end at the edges of the case. In theory, if you have enough interconnectivity, the whole STUDIO may as well be considered an 'instrument', given a certain degree of ingenuity.

Yeeah...but ultimately, I won't be satisfied until I can cook it up all in tiles and jam the result into a Syinsi 3U tile cab!

Hmmmm..ok, VCOs. Not quite enough basic ones. You're going to want a few more of the more plain-and-boring variety to either fill out sounds or to use as AF modulation sources for the Graphic and Mangroves. I'd also consider something that can do thru-zero FM, such as a Rubicon or Doepfer's A-110-6. Overall, about 7-8 VCOs, with 3 of those being the 'sexy' variety, should be right. Also don't forget to put a small 4-6 channel mixer close by this arrangement so that you can create mixtures for various purposes, either to feed into your audio chain or to combine VCOs for a certain AF modulation effect. Make sure that, at this point, the mixer is DC-coupled linear, because then you can switch your 'boring' VCOs to LFO mode and combine them that way (or with Batumi outputs[and add its Poti expander!]) as well. You could also utilize the Linix in this way, but having a simple mixer or two (even tho they're BORING) is always something you'll find uses for. Lastly in this vein: ring modulator. Ring modulation is a 'you gotta have it' sort of thing with multiple oscillators, because it offers buttloads of sonic variation for very little price or space. I've been a fan of Intellijel's uMod II for some time, as this also gives you some logical operations, plus allows output of only 'sum' or 'difference' results.

Filtering: moar. Threeler is pretty good, but you'll want a few filters that're different so that you can actually build up several different 'instruments' inside the same modular. Fact is, just because you have all of this stuff in a box doesn't mean that the box can only do one thing at one time. Allow for multiple signal chains...and that requires multiple filters.

Control surface: you're part-way there. Isolate your entire bottom row (which I assume will be at an angle directly in front of you) for things that make other things do things. I would suggest putting your sequencer there, the Ears, the Brains/Pressure Points (and why not add a second Pressure Points while you're at it?), the Planar, and whatever you use for a final mixer. That way, ALL of your global(ish) controls are right in front of you to interact with easily.

Other things: exponential VCAs. The Linix is good, but you want VCAs that are audio-specific toward the end of your signal chain(s) to control audio levels in a way that our ears find conveys apparent loudness. You could consider a performance mixer of some sort, as these can give you multiple audio VCAs AND panning, FX send/return abilities, and stereo output. This, btw, is definitely something that goes on that bottom row so you can 'play' it just like any other control surface.

Multiples. If we're talking 8 VCOs, that gets us toward voltage droop territory, so one for CVs to VCOs needs to be buffered to be sure your tunings remain the same if you run everything off of a single pitch CV. You also want a couple of the boring passive variety to group-send CVs, gate/trigs and modulation signals.

More envelopes. Use something that can do several looping AD or ARs so these can multitask as either LFOs or EGs. MATHS is sort of like this (but so much more!) but I'd consider something like the Quadra or Erogenous Tones's octuple crazy-ass thing. More is always better! Why? OK...if you use an ADSR for your filter, it's even better if you can shape the amplitude envelope differently, as this results in different decay rates of harmonics versus time, which is how harmonic decay works on a physical instrument. So...yeah.

And while I'm on the BORING subject, keep an eye out for where attenuators or attenuverters might come in handy. I like the latter, as you can both scale AND polarize voltage with these. Yeah, they're kinda meh...but they can wind up being far from that when you add them into various control chains for 'nuance'.

That's it for now...it's on a pretty good track, just needs the usual 'rethink until brain explodes' method at this point...

Actually, I thought the Mangroves was a keeper...what I would do is this:

Swap out the Dixie II and buffered mult for the Mangroves. Ditch the 2hp Delay for a passive mult. Then make use of the Rosie's FX loop to feed some external effects. Now, this might be a tad touchy because of level matching between modular and line levels, but the better grade of stompboxes can handle the gain-staging OK, even better if you do the send and return to a small mixer that can then handle the gain-staging and also juggle a bunch of outboard stompboxes and/or rack processors. This is something that the Rosie makes very easy, and it gives you the plus of mono-in to stereo-out in your effects chain, so you have a lot of 'abuse potential' with stereo imaging, using the small external mixer to parallel-chain various other boxes. Last, swap one ADSR with one of Ladik's 'alternates'; having a DADSR, for example, means you can stagger your envelope behaviors, and so forth.

And quite literally, that's all I'd change. The Mangroves VCO's ability to sweep through different formant configurations gives you a really quirky and interesting way to waveshape. There's too few primary CVs being sent around to need buffering to avoid voltage droop, and having the ability to incorporate something like a gate delay into your second Euro EG is a plus. Might seem nitpicky, but the rig is SOOOOOOO close that these few points are all it needs to take it over the top.

daaaaaaaaamn...!

Yeah, this is pretty spot-on. The only thing I would change out here is to toss the Doepfer A-140 and instead put two Ladik xADSRs in...the 'x' part being for the additional function that some of theirs have, such as gate delay, hold, initial level, etc. You'll be glad to have an extra EG with the Veils in there. Maybe a little bit of regrouping for ease of navigation, also, but this is a hellacious M32 expansion rig. Make sure to get some in-line mults, also; cramming in an extra 2hp would be a chore here, so that's definitely the better route.

Exactly right about the 4ms Row Power 40s, also...the M32 (and DFAM, fyi) has a power inlet, but the empty 60hps don't. In fact, that same power supply is what Sweetwater bundles in their 'add-on' bundles, and it has more than ample current to deal with these dinky cabs. Should be nice and stable and run pretty chill.

BOOYAKA!

ModularGrid Rack

Pretty much 1:1 on functionality, with a few extras here and there, such as more noise colors, more waveforms, VCF also does BP response. 51 hp (beats Moog by 9!), $1563 on the modules alone, so way more than the off the shelf unit.

That was kinda fun...whupped that out in about 40 minutes or so.

And I'll second the endorsement on a headphone cue send! If you're doing a lot of live work where there's constant minute twiddling going on, having that as a safety to make sure you haven't screwed up whatever tunings your VCOs have, or whether the filters are responding properly, etc etc etc is worth the price of gold. Often I'll just jack into a parallel output with the phones, using a 3.5mm mono-to-stereo adapter, but sometimes even that isn't as helpful as I might like.

Quad Mixer/VCA would be my choice, given the space constraint. Adding a couple more linear-only DC-coupled VCAs for processing CVs is a good idea as well, plus these can be found in small sizes. As for the EG/LFO, I think you might get a little more in just 2 hp more by going with Intellijel's Quadra; the expander would be a little much to squeeze in, but the basic module alone gives you loads to work with, and two more than the Erica to boot. Plus, if you do go with a quad VCA/mixer, having the Quadra would set you right up with envelope control over each VCA.

Buffered mult? Naah...you're not going to be running so many devices on a CV line that you need to worry about voltage sag. Those things are for total lunatics (like myself!) that run a dozen or so VCOs and happen to want to stack every single one on the same CV line.

Another VCO? Loads to choose from in that general size range, with the STO being a pretty good pick among them. Of course, you could always try to shoehorn in something a bit bigger, and if so, my pick would be Doepfer's rather new A-110-6...TZFM in 12 hp for $250. But either/or there...STO gets you into the weird harmonic tilt area, A-110-6 gives you FM weirdness, either's a great pairing with the Braids. Or hey...split the difference, go to 10 hp and look at Mannequins' Mangrove. But yeah, adding one would be a good idea; the only issue then becomes what VCO to choose, and there's LOADS to pick from! Damn shame, all this potential sonic abundance...

Last, the Verb. Thanks to the mutants who're concocting the 2hp stuff, you can now cram both a stereo digital reverb AND a delay line with CV into the same 4 hp, and since these aren't things you might be apt to grab all the time, the tiny control size probably wouldn't be an issue. However, if it was, just park the 2hp modules in between a couple of others with more 'real estate' and then you should be able to get finger access pretty smoothly. Still, with the Erica, reverb seems to already be well in-hand...maybe a 2hp Freez looper could work? Or more perversely, they also make a Turing machine that was apparently left in the dryer too long, and connecting that shrunk-down thing with the RYK-185 (Metropolis) could get...interesting.

Don't sell these teensy-weensy modules short...they can make even as little as 8 hp of open space get pretty action-packed.

Right...it's designed as a 'scratchable' piezo mic module. Given what you want to do musically, make sure to get an external input that has an envelope follower. That way, you can extract the incoming amplitude envelope and use it as a CV elsewhere, such as on a filter cutoff or VCA CV. Been in love with that capability since way back, working with it on an ARP 2600 which has it in conjunction with its input preamp.

Too much mixer in the mix there. Both the Lifeforms System Interface and the Erica module do (basically) the same thing. I'm inclined to say you should keep the Pittsburgh mixer, drop the Erica, and use that space for something else, as having those three more (albeit ganged) inputs on the Pittsburgh will be more handy for juggling several percussion sources. Not sure why you'd have the Dual Zeus, either...this is small enough that a single input/single PS setup should suffice.

Beats...well, changing out sound generators would be a start there. It'd make more sense to find something that's more in a rhythmic-element vein for the voicing rather than VCOs. One of those might just be sufficient here. Also, lots of electronic percussion utilizes what're called 'ringing filters'...filters set just below self-resonance and which 'ring' when some sort of impulse gets fed to them in various ways. Right now, there's just the 4075 in Studio's ARP 2600 redux, and that's likely to be a constraint.

DFAM: not bad. BeatStep Pro: better. Cheaper, too. And you get...lessee...(looking at one of mine)...eight drum gate outs, two channels of CV/gate/velocity, MIDI I/O, clock I/O, and a more complex and interactive sequencer for $250. No, it doesn't say MOOG on it, but what does a word sound like, really? The DFAM is more about what it can sound like, not so much its fairly-simplistic sequencer which won't go too far in doing elaborate rhythm patterns. Oh, and no memory for said patterns, also.

It's a start, tho...definitely needs honing in on the voicing, though. Fortunately, MG's got loads of Drum modules of all sorts and flavors to sort thru. One other thing, also...when starting out on design, always make the rack bigger than you think you need, because you'll gradually discover that you actually DO need it that big. Sort of a Law of Physics of some sort...

It's a nice setup, save for the one thing I always seem to be pet-peeving on: VCAs. Simple fix there would be to just swap the Blinds for a Veils or Intellijel's Quad VCA (same idea, same size, $10 cheaper). Also, you might find that switching out the Ears for some sort of line-level input could be useful, as that would then allow you to input external audio (field recordings, for example...good ambient element) into the processing part of the signal chain. Not sure about the Rings, also...with the Elements there, it's a little redundant, and you might find that some sort of more unconventional filter would be better suited while at the same time freeing up a tad more space. So far, so good, tho...

Thing is, it's kind of a simple device. I've got it specced for a setup that I may well go with in a few months, but my reasons for it have less to do with its percussion aspect and more due to the fact it provides a nice 8x2 sequencer and some extra things that I can patch into something more complex. It'd be easy enough, though...couple of VCOs, noise, mixer, lowpass VCF, couple of ADs with fixed attack and the sequencer. Hexinverter had the optimum 8x2 step sequencer for it a minute ago with the Orbitals, but it's discontinued.

Even with it being simple, tho...cooking up a 'clone' of it in discrete modules would probably be considerably more expensive than buying a DFAM off the shelf; it's more likely that someone with a larger, more general-purposed system would just patch up a DFAM configuration on their own rig, or just buy one outright like I'm considering.

Not exactly a module per se, but I can see immediately how this could also fit into a smaller modular rig, especially one being used along with some Volcas. Three channels (one is stereo) with 3.5mms, AUX send/return, compressor, channel mutes, DC supply onboard for three other Volcas, stereo out plus onboard speakers. It's sort of a simpler take on KOMA's Field Kit without some of the more esoteric functions. But unlike the Field Kit, this device has a master clock for Volcas and, presumably, other devices that can sync to Korg's sync standard.

Apparently it just dropped this weekend at Winter NAMM. Those looking for a small-rig mixer, especially something portable, might want a peek at this thing. http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_mix/