Thanks for listening, gang. I appreciate the kind words. Haven't had much time to make music for a while, so it's good to just press record and get something out there.
It's funny, I've gotten Cabaret Voltaire comparisons before. Those guys are definitely a subconscious influence, for sure. I did record a cover of "Nag, Nag, Nag" for fun a while back, but don't really set out to intentionally make music that sounds like them, but a lot of what comes out in this Cierny Vlk project does bear a resemblance. I think a lot of the ideas are probably coming from the same place.
Thanks again. Have a great week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your expertise. I have learned a lot from your replies - and took me down a deep rabbit hole of researching all your recommendations :-)

I probably took the wrong route by buying a case then trying to cram in enough modules. But as you said eventually I'll expand :-)

I like your ideas of mixing and compressing off-case and will probably also incorporate an external sampler/looper. Would an external 1010Music Blackbox be appropriate (at least for sampling, looping, and mixing)?

Your advice regarding every hp of sound plan 2-4hp of helper modules is one I'll take to heart from here on out.

The breadth and depth of modular is really intimidating for someone new like myself - I really appreciate advice from vastly more experienced people like yourself.

Thank you once again!

Nice one @farkas, whenever you get that Ohio warehouse rave gig booked let me know I'm definitely coming šŸ•ŗšŸ•ŗ

Have you used that one @GarfieldModular? I'm definitely curious.

@Lugia I'm thinking I want something a bit more flexible, the L-1 compressors come to mind and I'm also curious about Vintage Synth Labs AWM-3

@M01C and @JimHowell1970 changes made! And thank you @GarfieldModular, happy to give a bit back here for all the great folks who've helped me along on my journey :)

@Sweelinck, you're talking Conrad's language for sure. If you're interested check some thoughts out here http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/intervs/conrad.html

Wrapping up an outstanding weekend with an adhoc jam session on the Moog stack.

Some technical bits...

Two Mother 32's are run through Mimeophon and Desmodus Versio. DFAM provides the kick. These days, I am doing all stereo balancing, eq, and compression in-modular with SoundStage, SCLPL, and MSCL. Audio is crammed right into YouTube by a Scarlett 4i4.

Hope you enjoy it!

Are there any kinds of disadvantages to smaller modules? Iā€™m probably being a bit gluttonous, but in my filter section Iā€™d like to have a little taste of a couple different filters, so Iā€™ve found an assortment that fits my needs. Curious if someone would think that 1 18hp filter would be a better move than 3 6hp filters. Just a thought. Probably will stick with the smaller filters cause they still sound great. But like is there a different kind of power/goodness in the ajh 14hp vcf vs 6hp transistor ladder filter.

Also any thoughts on the rack, areangement always appreciated. I use this alongside ableton and a sampler/drum machine to make house music. Modular is mostly for stabs/bass/leads.

Oh, HELL yes!!! If Cabaret Voltaire had turned out to be a junglist group, it might sound something like this!

@troux, @Lugia
Decidedly, since the bids rise easily here, I will claim in my turn that, in the Western world, the 'drone' was born with the plainsong, in the sacred music, in the Middle Ages.

-- Sweelinck

But then, you have to take into account that Plainchant descends directly from the Grecian Modes. And with those, musicology isn't 100% certain of the lineage. Then you go backwards from there, across other Eastern Mediterranean region people, whose tunings and scales were somewhat more complex...and still are. But also, taking Alexander's conquest travels into account, we're probably looking at some sort of "polyglot approach" to encountered scalar, etc techniques, and those certainly got mixed in with the rest of the goings-on in that area.

But MY big point is that, if you go back to the point where music as we currently know it originated, you're dealing with the Central Asian region, and that back around 5000-7000 BCE their musical elements migrated with various peoples into these different sonic cultures. And back then and back there, the drone was PARAMOUNT. Entire musical styles emerged, with the best known of them being the Mongolian and Tuvan cultures where the drone is also important to the generated harmonic pitches that result in throat singing, which is where I and others think this starts. Given that the harmonic series' first several partials fit Western tunings, it would also explain early instruments that seem to be "close" to present-day tuning, so that these could match up with the harmonic pitches. It's also the source for Tibetan ceremonial music, the drone aspects of Persian and Northern Indian music, and on and on.

Thanks Jim!

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Troux,

The Waldorf CMP1 might be an idea, it's currently on offer. Waldorf stopped making modular modules, so if you are interested then better don't wait too long. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for all the work, making the compilation and I love the album cover with the modulargrid cat at the background looking through the window!

I am listening now and enjoying the music we made together in 2021 :-)

Great work and a big thank you, kind regards, Garfield.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Everybody,
Trying to get started with a modular setup for generative/ randomised music and general sound design.
The neutron is eating up space at the moment, but just wondering what you all think of this setup I am thinking of moving towards.
I'd probably replace the neutron with things like a Zoia Eurburo, Winterbloom Castor & Pollux & Morphagene.
I definitely need some focused feedback though....

One other module to consider is the Happy Nerding FX Aid, which has several compressor and limiter algorithms.

I totally agree with @sweelinck :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Excellent! Fierce and combative. Thanks for having shared this track here ;)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Lots O'Bleeps :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Glitchy goodness, I need to try more stuff like this, almost self-playing as Marbles is in control until i plug in the clock outs from Mimeophon which then takes care of the clocking. More madness comes from live patching Clouds from the 2hp RND :)
There are some clocked parts in there but i turn those off as its running the stepped filtered bass part.

@troux, @Lugia
Decidedly, since the bids rise easily here, I will claim in my turn that, in the Western world, the 'drone' was born with the plainsong, in the sacred music, in the Middle Ages. And that it finds its own roots in the psalms of the synagogues, then at the birth of the Christian era. This spiritual or mystical 'sap' is the very essence of 'drone': from the origins to our days (cf. Radigue, La Monte, etc.).
It is a sacred music, not profane.
Who says better ? :)
Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva ?
Not so bad... :))

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

And don't forget the WMD MSCL...excellent stereo comp/limiter. The controls could be a little more user-friendly, but the results are worth the hassle.

I can't let a LaMonte mention go by without saying, Tony Conrad did it first and did it better!!
-- troux

Tony Conrad was probably instrumental in keeping La Monte's initial (ie: post-Darmstadt) ideas going, tbh. For one thing, some of the Theatre of Eternal Music releases in recent years (such as "Day of Niagara") were out of his tape library. Plus, La Monte was also engaged in certain...ah..."substance sales" off and on during the 1960s.

Also, speaking of Darmstadt, that same early 1960s course of Stockhausen's was attended by one Holger Schuring...but you know him better as Holger Czukay. Interesting, indeed!

Yep...it's always the simple bits that screw up production. I used to make my own cables years ago, but given the present-day state of the studio, I've had to put my trust in others peoples' solder work.

Happy Saturday evening! Enjoy.

I think I'm almost assuredly going to get a Tanh at some point, that L-1 looks cool too thanks for the recommendation @adaris.

Not a compressor per se but I've found the DPW Limit L-1 to be useful in feedback patches. I have the Tanh as well actually, but I've found the DPW to be more handy for this purpose.

That Instruo Tanh[3] looks like an interesting small feedback tamer.

I've been doing a ton of feedback patching lately and have had luck with the "Build Your Own Compressor" DUSG approach to keeping things under control, but I'm starting to think about getting a dedicated compressor module just for this purpose, so I'm curious: anyone have any compressor modules they think are great for feedbacking?

Thanks!

I can't let a LaMonte mention go by without saying, Tony Conrad did it first and did it better!! Drone for the people >>> Fake occult elitist drone šŸ˜›

It looks like there's one used right here on ModularGrid :)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/offers/view/557750

Thread: Bug Report

Command Centre thumbnails (rack images) for the past few weeks/months(?) seem to be regenerating/refreshing erratically, with racks of the same specification rendering at different sizes,
-- AndyQ

I've figured out what triggers this behaviour - when some rack names wrap to two lines and others are on a single line. That starts screwing with what size the previews are generated at, although it affects whole "columns" of rack images. There are also issues where the rack images are not refreshed to the highest resolution - going through each individually and hitting the "update screenshot" button will refresh the image, but then image sizes (can) change again. They also revert to lower resolution versions after browser resizing or other events. Certainly, there some relatively new bugs causing the Command Centre thumbnails to be irregular and unstable - all of this stuff was fine previously (at least until late-ish 2021)

Colored noise from A-118-2 through Next Phase phaser to Morgasmatronā€™s Low Pass Filter.
A-118-2ā€™s Sample & Hold modulates Morgasmatronā€™s cutoff frequency.
Waveā€™s cycle adjusted by Next Phaseā€™s LFO.
Final audio passes through Desmodus Versio reverb to Roland 531 output.

Modules used:
Doepfer A-118-2
AJH Synth Next Phase
Intellijel Morgasmatron
Noise Engineering Desmodus Versio
Roland SYSTEM-500 531

Nice!
Will check it out somewhere tomorrow.

Oh... Is it possible to change "M10C" into "M01C" ?

Iā€™ll take a listen tonight ā¤ļø.
Thank you for the work on this!

A nice unit today, a pingable LFO from 4MS. Itā€™s actually 4 LFOs, each one can be tap-tempoā€™d or ā€œpingedā€ by an external voltage source to set the rate.
Good slew action too.
A long demo section at the end, with ā€˜scope traces, there are some interesting slopes to the curves when you use the slew knobs.
Moderate complexity build.
Recommended
C.K. builds a Quad Pingable LFO from 4MS

iĀ“ve already get all modules but data bender, swn and synapse and im very happy about all and each one

hi everybody, finally i deciced to replace synapse by a quad vca and some efects or something, what do you think about?
i mean i Ā“m gonna use the system in the studio with others systems but i wanna make this system self-suficient for gigs and i think synapse needs another modulators to be usable, maybe not? please
your contribution will be really very appreciate

Will get that fixed @JimHowell1970. @Quantum_Eraser I checked my email and I never got a WeTransfer from you. If you can send one over to the email I sent you here we can slot it in.

So for now (and things will change in the long run ^^) IĀ“d look at your setup this way:

Without computer PNW is a good choice, although I donĀ“t have one. My concept is around a drum machine on steroids which integrates into a bigger setup, so external clock and computer. I also decided to eliminate hp as a limiting factor, which led to different choices. Maybe others can chime in on function per hp efficiency.

That said, for sequencing with variations: Metron has probability, so a certain amount of randomness is already in. ItĀ“s probably too much of an hp hog in 84, but I predict your system may grow bigger over time :D. Take a look at Euclidian Circles (vpme), KnightĀ“s Gallop (shakmat) and Numeric or Zularic Repetitor (noise engineering). Reserve one or two tracks/sequencers for accents so you can treat them as split from the gate patterns if you want to. Like: standard 16th HH, then add a 7 step accent pattern or whatnot.

No sampling, but loops :) does not compute ^^.

As for mixing and effects, it depends on your workflow. For me, Kick is essential and this also comes with a rumble chain. I played around in Ableton to find out what I need and then built that with modules. That alone could eat 84hp ^^. A quick and very reliable way for kick is the jomox modbase, but there are many other good choices as well. ItĀ“s a deep module though, check whether it fits your case. I like my mutant drum modules as well, less experimental than, say, wmd, but spot on if your sounds are "around x0x". Effects depend. You may want to get some shared options like delay and reverb, but also have dedicated fx for "that clap every 4 bars". Also think about whether you really want to mix IN the case. The biggest reason would be mix automation/modulation. If you donĀ“t really do that, an external mixer is way cheaper and offers more function wise (like 3-4 band eq, a number if aux channels etc). For Euro, I can recommend wmd performance mixer (no eq though) and befaco hexmix).

I donĀ“t necessarily think a compressor needs to be slapped on everything, but found that it can help shaping the transients beyond what is normally given in any sound source. My advice is to build things in virtual, see what works, what you like and then build that in hardware. For example, I use a dedicated compressor (Lollipop) on Kick and Clap mainly to shape transient and texture. MSCL on the other hand is sitting on the drum+bass submix for saturation and pump.

Percussions: You will get most out of modules that offer a high level of modulation control. Plonk comes to mind. IĀ“m sure there is tons of other options, I just found the name of the module is reason enough :D.

Oh and the most general advice: For every hp of sound plan 2-4hp of helper modules to really get to the fun stuff. For example: I 1:7 mult the modbase output to 3 elements of rumble chain, so I can play with those 4 elements. Adding some CV to the various components to introduce changes over 2, 4 or 8 bars is fun. Also multing the kick trigger signal to activate envelopes+VCAs, poor manĀ“s compressor. Likewise, using metrons gates, triggers and CVs to rhythmically modulate sound changes... you get the idea. While a compressor would pump based on the actual audio signal, ENV+VCA could either follow a trigger pattern of a sound or could do something slightly - or completely - different. Put that on a pad sound for example... etc.

In my book using MSCL to just avoid clipping is an abuse :D. Just use an attenuator/vca/mixer and proper gainstaging if you run into level issues (although those can be nice in the sense of saturation).

Thread: Cellar Door

You can convert triggers from Euclidean Circle to gates of different length with the disting H-6 algo. Use an LFO to control the length of gates.

@troux - can you please delete the last character (4) of my track title - it's the mix number - not part of the title!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@Quantum_Eraser I'll take a look and get back to you. Should be easy to correct.

Hi AcdNrg!

Thank you for your response and it definitely helps :-)

To answer your questions; I'm more interested in sequencing drums, mostly controlling the patterns with a touch of added randomness. There is no computer involved.

EDM is my main focus and not really too interested in sampling at this juncture.

Definitely interested in loops.

I'd like to mix and apply fx on the board but I'm not too sure how that works in my current setup. Any advice would be welcome :-)

Thank you for the mantis and metron suggestions. And I'm not too sure how the MSCL works in my setup - naively, I believed all the sounds wouldn't clip if I used a compressor. Do you think I should remove the MSCL module or swap out some existing modules to facilitate its use?

Thank you again for your answer!

Welcome to Euroland :)

The question leads to 1000 answers, but thatĀ“s normal at the beginning. What comes to mind:

• Is your interest in drums more about the drum sounds or sequencing drums?
  • Controlled patterns or generative/random/euclidian?
  • Is a computer involved?
  • What kind of drumming are we talking about: EDM, Ambient, Percussions etc?
  • Interested in sampling?
  • Loops or individual sounds?
  • How do you mix and apply fx?

I ended up with a full mantis case for drums, including a metron sequencer for grid programming and some modules for controlled randomness. Focussed on techno, I added some fx for a rumble chain (delay, reverb, eq, compressor) and a mixer to get a drums submix.

On the MSCL: Great module and you get the best results utilizing the sidechain (for example to duck the bassline). Not sure how this will be done in your setup.

Hope this helps!

Awesome. Thanks for putting this together.

hmm my Track is missing

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yesterday night I played the synth again and everything was normal (same patch)...
I think some patch cables are not working properly...
I have to buy some new ones...thanks

What Jim said ;-)

I do, you can, use Euclidean patterns to drive other things that create pitch.... send those Euclid triggers to an Arpeggiator or other pitch sequencer, even send them to a Turing machine + Quantizer or Marbles etc. You can dial in different patterns on the Euclidean or control those via CV for always evolving patterns.

-- wishbonebrewery

exactly - I don't have euclidean circles - but that's what I'd do with it if I had one!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

what exactly do you mean by 'get tonal rhythms out of euclidean circles'?

do you mean melody? - I'd suspect that is really bloody difficult considering that euclidean circles is a trigger sequencer and as such does not sequence pitch...

-- JimHowell1970

What Jim said ;-)

I do, you can, use Euclidean patterns to drive other things that create pitch.... send those Euclid triggers to an Arpeggiator or other pitch sequencer, even send them to a Turing machine + Quantizer or Marbles etc. You can dial in different patterns on the Euclidean or control those via CV for always evolving patterns.

Well, for all my work and research there's no teacher like experience. I've all but decided to get a larger case. At the same time there is this fringe addiction forming that I have to curtail now before it gets out of hand. I certainly don't want a wall covered in modules. But I will go there if I'm not cautious of the draw already.

It has taken some time to figure out how to get tonal rhythms out of the euclidean circles without the help of a midi style quantizer that can hold notes for me. I finally managed a patch that was pseudo decent. But I have to have something that will let me cycle through at least 16 steps with assigned notes. That means a larger case, and if I'm going to do that I might as well throw in another oscillator, kick, snare, echo, delay, etc. Ugh.

Let it stop with that.
Atomket.

-- atomkey

you may not want a wall full of modules - but you may find you need one!!!

what exactly do you mean by 'get tonal rhythms out of euclidean circles'?

do you mean melody? - I'd suspect that is really bloody difficult considering that euclidean circles is a trigger sequencer and as such does not sequence pitch...