Further to my previous post, you may want unbalanced version.
I believe they have stock.
https://nw2s.net/
Having said that, I just noticed someone suggesting MI Veils which I think is a great (honestly better) idea. It can boost line level signals, can mix to a single output if desired, and it much more flexible.

NW2SIO BALANCED module:
(May be currently sold out, have a look here under ‘External’ modules. NW2S does have a website.)
8 inputs and 8 outputs each to a separate Db25 connector. You could get an 8 x 1/4” to Db25 snake to connect them. Attenuation +/- 6 dB is done within the module. The module and snake are a bit of an expense but then you are able to combine what you already have and keep using it with your new eurorack setup. The 8 outs could also be routed to an audio interface onto separate tracks in your DAW.

As long as you connect the ribboncables in the right way to the busboard, it will be functional.

To me it is a bit an odd system. A quad VCA and three Eudemonias? Only two Ataxias?

What is your intention with your system?

Welcome!

Instead of using 10 preamps(!), you could look at the Mutable Instruments Veils. A VCA, but for sure you can pump line level to modular level with it. Maybe Intellijel's Quad VCA can do the same.

Maybe you want to go a different route with your modular within a few months. Then a VCA is for sure good to have. I doubt if 10 preamps are ;)

But if you want 10 preamps, you can get three of these:
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1143

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm coming from an all hardware synth background so my modular journey is just beginning now. I have just received my first case and one drum module. The case I chose to start with was the TTA Mantis and the drum module a "Jomox Mod Base 09 MKII" which was a straight replacement for the "MBass1_1" I just sold recently. I decided to stay with the Jomox sound as I have done for years and know what I'm getting with regards to bass drums.

So my question is this.

I only have the 1 drum module for now as these are pretty expensive in euro rack format however I do have a newly delivered Behringer RD-9 drum machine which I like a lot. What I'm wanting to do tho is take all 10 outs from the 1/4" jacks and somehow feed them directly in to my case so that I could process them, mangle them within the euro rack modules I intend to invest in then back out again either as a stereo mix or multi track.
Is there such a pre amp module/audio input module with lots of inputs that will allow me to do this? If so what would you recommend? I could do with some general advice on this subject if there's anyone out there who knows about this stuff.
As I said I'm just starting out after 30+ years of hardware synths so any advice on this would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Hey graigless! Welcome to the community! I think you have too many oscillators, since I've counted six without the two present in the DFAM. Can you justify 6 oscillators in 9U 84HP? If you can, then you would need some sort of mixer to bring the signals together. What about the guitar pedal interface? Do you have an external tape machine to hook it up to it? I don't see enough modulation and no dedicated VCAs or basic utilities.

Maybe you could explain what you have in mind with your setup in order to get a better picture of what you want to achieve with it. In the meantime, I would suggest thinking about way fewer voices and making them more complex through modulation and sequencing.

I'm also quite new to the modular world, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, looking at your rack reminded me of my own conceptual mistakes in the beginning. That's why we got modular grid for, so we can try out stuff before committing. Could you post a list of the modules that you already possess? This would be a good start in order to see what can be done to complement/expand them instead of creating parallels that compete with each other.

Hi All,

New to modular racks and already hooked!

Over the past few months, I was able to get a few modules (as shown).

The rest of my gear includes; Arturia ProStep, Moog Sub37, ARP Omni2, Roland Integra-7, Roland GR-55 guitar Synth, & an array of guitar pedals.

I am exploring mixing synths with acoustic instruments (guitar, piano, drums, etc.). This is so much fun!!!

Any advice, observations, etc. is appreciated. I don't know what I don't know so am I missing key functions or is my rack unbalanced?

Many Thanks!
Graig(less)

this user has left ModularGrid

Tried to focus more on the production side of things. I think the snare/clap is a bit too loud.

Any tips/feedback for future jams?

...thanks al lot for your input! Befaco looks good. Now i might compare some filters :D

Personally I do not like the miniature versions. For the reasons Jim mentioned.

Price-wise as well as width-wise there is this one too: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-matrix-mixer
Great value for the buck, practical, good feel, and the unipolar / bipolar switch is a great extra function.
B.
-- law-rah

I have this one too and I like it. It feels solid and I don't mind the little knobs.

Another Division-6 product, this time their CEM 3340 VCO.
Good kit, a simple and straightforward one. A reasonably plain VCO, but good since you can never have too many oscillators. Build is suitable for a beginner, maybe your 2nd or 3rd build. Recommended.
C.K. builds a Division-6 CEM 3340

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1812537.jpg

Aiming for 3 voices and a drum, with generative potential, in smallish box

New to modular, but very comfortable with synthesis.

Took me a minute to figure out that I needed separate vcas to go with the envelopes 🙄

Please let me know if this would be functional or if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance

apparently the build quality is very good, but...

Rings is notoriously hard to tune - even with full size pots & knobs - the trimmers that are used on the micro clones are very poor in terms of precision - so if being able to tune the module is important to you - and it may not be - then I'd steer clear

things to think about

reduced size = poor ergonomics & eurorack is already on the 'small side' - personally I prefer bigger modules with full size knobs - all my mutable modules are full size - either originals or DIY versions

support the original designer where possible = whilst micro cloning is not completely without effort, the much more effort went into the original design - not only the hardware, but the firmware

support = can't comment on support from cloners, but Emilie is fantastic at support!

price = are you really saving that much - mostly it seems to be a good night out on the beer... so in the big scheme of things it doesn't seem like that big a deal to buy an original to me over a cheaper clone, especially if originals are still available!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

another alternative to the vca/mixer conundrum is a quad cascading vca - kill 2 birds with one stone - veils is very good, for example

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

104hp gotta last forever?? oh well...

hahahahaha - I thought the same with 144hp - now I have 10 times that... there's a very good reason why people (including me) always advise others to get bigger racks to start with - especially if you are going to get into DIY...

So with the current collection as above, what would your advice be for the future be? I am quite good at tinkering and know my way with a soldering iron, but not so with SMD's yet. My wishlist consists of effects, O&C, Pams WO, and someday a Befaco mixer.

first of all - bigger case - but keep this one and add 6u of 104hp - the befaco excalibus is a great DIY power supply - which should power 6u/104hp quite well as long as you stick to mostly analogue modules

O&C get the plus version - through hole diy! but will you really need it if you get a PNW? maybe... get the PNW first and then decide

effects - it's hard to beat an fx aid xl... at least for the size/price/functionality...

SMD - nonlinearcircuits or the AISynthesis SMD module are both good places to start...

envelopes and lfos would be a good area to invest in - Maths is especially good if you are more interested in learning modular synthesis instead of synthesis with modules - if you see what I mean - see the 'maths illustrated supplement' as a good jumping off point/primer for that.. Stages is also exceptional - as are batumi and zadar... also take a look at the new tiptop/buchla offerings they are very good value for money - first 2 are available for preorder!

also a filter or 2 or 3 or more - personally I like the doepfer offerings - inexpensive and do what they say they do, based on classic filters - but otherwise hit up youtube - maybe not the best quality audio, but you will get an idea of what you like don't like

at some point more vcas, more utilities - I like links, kinks, shades, veils - as a starter - but not DIY friendly! and kinks is discontinued - wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute - a matrix mixer is also incredibly handy...

you'll probably want another 'melodic voice at some point - again the tiptop/buchla offering looks really decent for the price

Easy transaction with @Tomkrut

Yeah, I try to practice the same, module-after-paycheck, although I cheat a bit with cheap used utilities.
Tricky question! To me the separate VCas are needed as soon as a traditional vco shows up in the rack. And although I use an external mixer for stereo out I quickly found I needed mixer modules as soon as I had more than two sound sources going. I like being able to pan mono voices and/or have a few stereo possibilities as well (esp with Rings, Clouds, Beads…). The Intellijel has stereo out, right? (First time around I just had the niftycase and its weakness is the mono out so I had an in-rack stereo mixer right away).
Maybe a simple dual vca and a little mixer at the same time as soon as you decide on another sound source in the rack? If /when you need to upgrade later they’ll probably still be useful utilities.
But – this is just my way of reasoning, related to how I make my music. There’s no absolute truth :-D

ModularGrid Rack

So, after some years of playing with Reason and its rack, I decided a few years ago that I wanted to do the same in a more physical way. Daws are cool, but I'm not really into recording, arranging, and saving my music for later, it's more of a "get lost in the moment" kind of therapy if you know what I mean? I mainly get lost in minimal house/techno territory, so that is my aim. So I started collecting some modules as I found good used deals on the local online marketplace. I figured I could buy myself a 104hp case when I had enough for a start. I mean, 104hp gotta last forever?? oh well...

So with the current collection as above, what would your advice be for the future be? I am quite good at tinkering and know my way with a soldering iron, but not so with SMD's yet. My wishlist consists of effects, O&C, Pams WO, and someday a Befaco mixer.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts!
Thank you!

Thanks Noctopolis, I’ve been meaning to hop on here for recommendations for utilities and you actually answered a question I had been thinking about as far as the mults go. I took the whole go bigger with the case advice to heart and snagged a relatively affordable 7u Intellijel performance case and I’m glad I did, but I still have my eye on getting a niftycase in the future. I’m only able to buy a module once every paycheck, would you prioritize a mixer over let’s say vcas? So far I have mi rings, clouds, ears, and a maths.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I didn't expect any comments on my first rack, but I'm glad to find such a vibrant community on ModularGrid.

I appreciate everyone's perspective here, and I can see there are many directions one can take when entering the world of modular synthesis. I'm happy to report that this rig is more than meeting my expectations and I've learned a ton so far interfacing with other gear that I already have, which was one of my main goals (the Data has been extremely useful for troubleshooting issues and for waveform visualization). Most importantly, I've already made some great sounds that I'm happy with, and am having a ton of fun. I really wanted to go full modular and build a "staging" rack so I could master each new module I purchase. While the B. 2600 looks pretty great for someone just starting to learn about synthesis, I felt like I already had enough gear with similar functionality and desired to be more intentional with every module I purchase as I focus and discover my sound.

plragde,

Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I appreciate the guide you have written, as well.

You can listen to the Hyrlo if you're careful about levels. I have one, but for convenience, I send its outputs to ALM HPO or Befaco Out v3. If you're happy with using the Mother-32 sequencer, that's fine also. Sequencers, whether in-rack or external, take a lot of research, and even then, it's hard to tell until you actually use one for a while.

Good to hear from you. The reduced size and price make this one very appealing. I also looked at the Plaits clone, but the prices are very similar to the original in my country. All the best with your decision making.

thanks for the feedback! I just started with a mother 32 in late 2020, got the mimeophon and the hyrlo a couple of weeks ago, that is already fun so i thought on building up on that. at the moment i use the output of the hyrlo for listening, what would you use? i try your proposal writing down where i wanna go. Besides that you would recommend a different sequencer?

I've been in the market for a mic pre / envelope follower and this could be a contender. I'm specifically looking for something good at pitch tracking my diatonic and chromatic harmonicas.

I'm looking at the same module. After Later Audio seems to make good products - at least I've never heard complaints. I was also looking at their Knit (Plaits clone) as well.

This is enough to start with without frustrating you, even without the FX Aid. The pitch sequencing options on Pam's are relatively simple but work for exploration. When considering a complex oscillator (or even a simpler one), think about what kinds of modulation it might need, and how you plan to provide it.

Katowice does filtering but I don't think it is what you want for a case this small; it is a bit more specialized. Watch some demos of it and Ikarie and you will see the difference. How do you plan to sequence pitch? Pam's is somewhat limited in this respect. What other equipment do you plan to use (at a minimum, to listen to it)?

If you haven't bought any of this yet, I suggest that you write up the goals of your system, and go through the various categories of modules, asking yourself whether you need one in each category (or why you don't). You will probably come up with a final list of choices that is larger than this case. You might be tempted to get very small modules to squeeze them all in, but that may not be a good idea. Instead, consider a larger case.

they run into this problem over and over and over again
-- Ronin1973

You see it happening over and over again. Each of them is going through it for the first time. Teachers have to keep this in mind.

@LJRo, the Mordax Data is a good learning and debugging tool, but your case is too small for it. Even with it removed, your system is going to be limited and probably frustrating. If you stick with this case, you will at a minimum have to get rid of one of the larger modules. The better option is to think about a bigger case, and do some planning, with proper choices for envelopes or function generators, VCAs, and utility modules. You don't have to get it all at once; you can grow into it, if you choose judiciously.

Post a link to your rack rather than a picture. Modular Grid will reference a picture of your rack but then I can just click it and take a deeper look at your modules.

Here is your primary issue. Your case is too small. That's the beginning and the end of your problems. Everything else is just a bandage at this point. You're going to go around and around trying to make choices and compromises when one of the cheapest things that you can do is just get a bigger case. A Mantis (for example) has 208HP of space and is under $350.

Everyone tries to build their modular battleship in a bathtub and they run into this problem over and over and over again. Skiffs and small racks are NOT for beginner systems. It's a terrible place to try and save money and you f--- yourself over every.single.time.

Sell the old case. Buy a bigger one.

I would get rid of the Mordax in favor of using the 16HP for other utility type modules. You already have two oscillators in the build (which is probably too much in a small build like this) and you have two other large modules in Maths and Morphagene. You could probably benefit from FX Aid XL (or just the regular FX Aid), Frap Tools 321, and maybe a small mix module as well. I would also recommend you consider a multifunctional module like ornament and crime and/or Disting EX...yes, you have to do some menu diving with those modules but in smaller setups like this its almost one of those 'trade-offs' that you have to consider to get as much functionality/HP as you can.

There are other awesome people on the forum who will be able to probably do better exact recommendations but as someone who has a couple smaller builds myself, those are things I would consider.

JB

Hi looking from some advice before filling out the last 12hp
purpose of this rack is to have live performance/recording, without sameples or anything

I have already purchased all the other modules(like an idiot) and left with 12hp realizing that I need more VCAs

For sequencer/hands-on-control I've got Arturia beatstep Pro in action
And for mixer/output I've got 1010music BlueBox

I have mutable inst Links as well, but not sure If I want to put it in(cause I'll be left with only 8hp)

so in conclusion I'm looking for module(s) to fill that empty 12hp(or 8hp including links)

After my own research I came up with 3 modules. Instruo Vinca, 2hp VCA and 2hp ADSR, but not sure If its right

I'm open for new suggestion and I'm thankful for those who take a look

Hey there, can i have some thoughts about my possible first rack. is something missing? thanks
additional: Intellijel quadVCA or ALM tangel quartet? and does Katowice work as a filter or should i go with for exampel Ikarie(Bastl) or ALM Mum8?
-- Figo

Floored by the kind and detailed responses; thanks to both of you! An adjustment follows below (with optional FX...):

alt text

To Chinipira:

What is a minimum viable synth that is fun enough that you won't be disappointed and sell the whole thing in frustration.

You summarize well my initial objective!

I don't know Permutation but instead of that I'd recommend Pamela's New Workout.

Pam is indeed on my radar. I suppose it has more functionality, which should be a priority at this point. Still on the fence.

I love effects, get a Happy Nerding FX Aid (maybe XL) if your budget allows. Filters are also great but you can start without one. You can even create filter-like effects with Maths.

Good idea about the effects (though +1 module). My thoughts exactly on the filter.

Also, if you have other hardware, like a drum machine, find a way to connect them to your modular. For MIDI there are many modules, like the Mutant Brain. For connecting to a DAW the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 might be the best, but there are other options too.

I do have an MPC 2000XL lying around... eventually will connect it to the modular. Trying to stay off the computer.

To bopodoq:

3) VCA, I second MI Veils and Intellijel Quad VCA. WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR with integrated VCA and separate envelope output (great 'bang for the buck').

There appears to be strong consensus to have a quad VCA and a separate output module. I have made that adjustment, even though it breaks my 4 module constraint.

To both of you:
With respect to the Cloud Terrarium, I am not dogmatic and indeed followed uninhibited excitement on this one. While seemingly controversial, I like the screen. The 4ms Ensemble Oscillator also interested me. A complex oscillator like an Odessa/Endorphin.es Furthrrr/etc appears to afford more functionality though, and can implement some of the ideas suggested by bopodoq.

Checking out page source and a few network requests, I came up with two more ideas!

1. Save some hosting money and bandwidth! It looks like each rack view is loading both the "thumbnail" WebP rack image for each module as well as the full-size PNG that is shown when you click the magnifying glass in the hover-tools. For my 6-row, 150U wide cabinet, that's a total of about 7MB. On subsequent page loads that gets smaller (hooray, cache!), but it seems like it'd save time for users and money for you to only load the full-size images on-demand, when the user actually clicks on the full-size magnifying glass. It looks like the gear.svg file is loaded on-demand when I move a module -- same concept could save a lot of network bandwidth for your site and your users.

2. ModularGrid API for Unicorns! The rack data is embedded in the page server-side (it seems like), rather than loading with a separate GET request; moving a module happens over a GET request to a path that acts like loading a move.json file, rather than a POST, etc. The great thing about an API is you could offer developer access to Unicorn accounts: An API key that paid accounts could use to build their own UIs, add their own UI/UX features, etc. The APIs could still require a valid user login/session (so that MG still controls feature access and user accounts), and if you asked Unicorns to enter the URL to whatever they build, you could check their work out and learn from whatever they build. Modular Grid As A (paid!) Service! Another cool thing: you can build a new API server separately from the current site, if it's too complicated to convert the site to web-client-and-backend-API-server — https://api.modulargrid.net/ or whatever — and use the same image-store and database(s) as the web site uses.

I would start with a more traditional setup to start.
1) VCO's, one or two to start, analogue or digital. With more than one, you can stack and cross modulate. I would also get a noise source. Make Noise STO is great, flexible and reasonably priced.
2) Filter, many different styles, low-pass to start but there are many multi-mode filters that do lowpass/ bandpass/ highpass simultaneously. Modulation of a filter can make your system sound like two or three simultaneous instruments.
3) VCA, I second MI Veils and Intellijel Quad VCA. WMD has the Javelin which is a full ADSR with integrated VCA and separate envelope output (great 'bang for the buck').
4) Function generator, Rise/ Fall will do envelopes on a one-shot basis or will loop as an LFO. Maths is great as is Intellijel Quadrax (4 rise/ fall, but no mix and Or/ Sum/ Inv).
5) Output module, L/R 1/4" Stereo out + 1/4" Headphone Jack (you need a means of listening to your results and get them out of the box if that is your intent). I have a WMD and Befaco but there are many others.
6) Additional modulation: Random generators, Touring Machine is great. Sample and hold (often good for a noise source as well).
7) FX. It may seem like a luxury to start but a nice reverb or delay can makes things sound huge and otherworldly. I second FX Aid as a start.
8) Mixers are important but you have only two signals to mix in your current setup. I use Befaco STMix for submitting as it will mix 4+1 stereo signals (or mono normal to both channels) and is DC coupled and will mix CV. There are many others.
9) General utility, Multiples (buffered? or not), attenuators (Synth Tech modules have onboard attenuation so perhaps not as big a deal to start),
Synthesis Technology E352 Cloud Terrarium probably wouldn't be my first choice to start but if you want to go that direction, what ever will keep you motivated and interested is important. Mantis case is a great start. Good luck!

Hey there, can i have some thoughts about my possible first rack. is something missing? thanks
additional: Intellijel quadVCA or ALM tangel quartet? and does Katowice work as a filter or should i go with for exampel Ikarie(Bastl) or ALM Mum8?

It's a hard question, what to start with. What is a minimum viable synth that is fun enough that you won't be disappointed and sell the whole thing in frustration.

Key is versatility I guess.
I don't know Permutation but instead of that I'd recommend Pamela's New Workout. It can generate gates (logic, euclidean, random etc), CVs (also quantised, random, looped random etc), clocked modulation, simple envelopes, LFOs, random stuff on 8 channels. It's great to start out with and it remains great in a big system.

I suppose you saw/heard Cloud Terrarium online and you like how it sounds. I think there is nothing wrong with going ahead and getting it if you can afford it. I think it's important that you find your modules exciting.

Instead of the Mix3 get an output module that has a built in mixer, like 4ms Listen Four. You need to attenuate Eurorack levels to line levels, and maybe you'd like to attach headphones. Get a submixer once you have more voices. Mixing CVs is also important, but Maths will help with that too. For later check out Happy Nerding 3xMIA:

Maths is great to start out with and remains great as your system grows. It can even be used as dual analog oscillators that can also track V/Oct to some extent in the lower frequency spectrum.

I love effects, get a Happy Nerding FX Aid (maybe XL) if your budget allows. Filters are also great but you can start without one. You can even create filter-like effects with Maths.

Mantis is a good choice as a case!

Edit: almost forgot, you will need a VCA from the beginning. Without one, you will only be able to make drones. Get one with variable response curves (exponential for audio, linear for CV). Mutable Instruments Veils or Intellijel Quad VCA is generally recommended.

Also, if you have other hardware, like a drum machine, find a way to connect them to your modular. For MIDI there are many modules, like the Mutant Brain. For connecting to a DAW the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 might be the best, but there are other options too.

Can i run all these off two PSU moduels as show? I'm using wooden rails and I have concerns the Tiptop Audio uZeus may overheat.

Has anyone put a heatsink on the uZeus before?

Thank you

ModularGrid Rack

(...) Does the Xaoc Batumi have this ability? I do suppose I could look myself…
-- aheath73

‘The reset/sync input is an user-defined trigger input that can serve as either cycle re-set or external tempo sync’ (Batumi user manual: http://xaocdevices.com/main/batumi/)
The pleasure of opening a manual...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

You do realise that WD-40 is named as such as its 'Water Dispersal version 40' its made for dispersing water on your car with old-fashioned Points on the ignition system. Don't put that shit anywhere near a synth in my opinion!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I currently have Ts-L, marbles, maths, veils, desmodus, and HPO. Three voices might be too many at this size, but to my eyes I think it works. Ts-L is either a voice or an LFO and BIA is on percussion. I like Mixup and HPO in the case as I want to use it as a standalone instrument. Mimetic has double duty as pitch CV quantized through o_c running hemisphers and as a modulation source. The sequential switch is something I thought to try with mimetic and varigate to get longer and selectable sequences.

The oddball here is probably beads. I'm not sure about it in this rack but I think I need another source of sound morhping. Mimeophone would be great but make noise is impossible to get.

The other half of o_c will probably run envelopes most of the time.

I don't really have a patching style yet, I'm just getting started and only have a few modules. I lean to a more east style and I prefer sounds in scale and not a haphazard collection of beeps and boops or harsh noise. I tried to pick modules that have purpose and have good features per HP, though marbles and maths are debateable. I took marbles out of the rack posted since varigate and mimetic should be more than enough. Marbles is very playable though so it could find its way back in.

ModularGrid Rack

Thread: Cellar Door

Or just get one of Syinsi's tile-only cases...

-- Lugia

I looked at that after I saw the post. https://syinsi.com/shop/specials/5u-case-custom/

That's completely new to me man. It looks like you get kind of locked into their design form factor, etc...

Thread: Cellar Door

Eh. It was the smallest one I saw. I could always just duct tape a few modules together minding nothing gets grounded out.

Folks,

I'm new to Eurorack and am planning my first purchases. I am thinking of getting a Mantis case and four modules to start (I find constraints helpful).

I'd like to have system that is (i) immediately capable of generating sounds on its own and (ii) affords me ample learning opportunities. Eventually, I am interested in building out the rack and adding a complex oscillator, but would like to explore the Cloud Terrarium first (and also add some more modulation sources/utilities).

Any thoughts or opinions about this start would be greatly appreciated!

alt text

Link: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1808557.jpg

Yes it is. I'm going to inquire what it does better other than an internal VCO than the competition. At 6HP it is nice and compact though.

Very interesting about the history of pitch tracking and synths in terms of p-2-v tracking. I'd think if you prefilter the instrument you can cut out the interfering harmonics coming into the envelope follower. However, if you wanted to mix acoustic and electronic, I'm not sure this is beneficial as you're taking away character of the instrument.

I think I'll muck with the Disting first before diving in. To make this work I'd think I'd need a mic pre first to get it up to a decent level.

Since you have the space, maybe consider a Doepfer A-143-9 instead of the A-145-4...

I would agree with everyone that you shouldn't necessarily plan everything out. I have a Rackbrute 6U filled out and now a 3U. I think in time I will get another 6U to combine with my existing 6U...I like what I'm building with the 3U accompanying my Minibrute2 keyboard synth...lots of effects/modulation in my 3U that really compliment/extend the Minibrute2.
-- jb61264

Great suggestion! Love the expanded functionality of the Doepfer 143-9…. Unfortunately all my Canadian retailers don’t have it in stock at the moment…

I do like having the Quad LFO module…. So useful for pulling out multiple modulation sources. Do you know if anyone makes a clock-syncable quad LFO? Does the Xaoc Batumi have this ability? I do suppose I could look myself… but where’s the fun in that?!

Since you have the space, maybe consider a Doepfer A-143-9 instead of the A-145-4...

I would agree with everyone that you shouldn't necessarily plan everything out. I have a Rackbrute 6U filled out and now a 3U. I think in time I will get another 6U to combine with my existing 6U...I like what I'm building with the 3U accompanying my Minibrute2 keyboard synth...lots of effects/modulation in my 3U that really compliment/extend the Minibrute2.

JB