Anybody much more well versed with audio interfaces than I am know if its possible for me to connect my MOTU 828 to my Focusrite 8i6 using SPDIF? I currently use my MOTU with Ableton Live (Windows) so I can use the DC Coupled ins/outs with my modular setup...been wondering if its possible to use my Focusrite as an 'extension' to it if I just want to have audio coming in say from an external synth (my now vintage Novation x-station..lol). I'm guessing not, but throwing it out to any experts who can confirm or deny :)

JB

The ES compatibility list shows the 2i4 as being suitable, and since the preamp topology is the same across that series, the 8i6 should be fine. However, I wouldn't use the SPDIF I/O. Instead, see if your DAW can recognize both interfaces, with the 828 on FW400 and the 8i6 via USB. Most present-day DAWs should be able to cope.

The ES compatibility list shows the 2i4 as being suitable, and since the preamp topology is the same across that series, the 8i6 should be fine. However, I wouldn't use the SPDIF I/O. Instead, see if your DAW can recognize both interfaces, with the 828 on FW400 and the 8i6 via USB. Most present-day DAWs should be able to cope.
-- Lugia

Unfortunately, on Ableton/Windows I think it can only see one interface. I was using the Focusrite just for MIDI for a while but whenever I turn on the Focusrite, it takes control of my audio like a beotch. Interestingly, my TR-8S shows up as audio interface option as well...

JB

Sounds like a software issue, actually. If you've got some signal routing software (it should be SOMEwhere in Live), you should be able to override what the computer's insisting on. Might also be worth poking around KVR (https://www.kvraudio.com/) to see if they've got a solution there as well.

I'm on an Apple device and haven't used the MS stuff for a while but from memory, ASIO4All allows the use of more than 1 audio interface on Windows, not sure if it's still the case...

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Windows only likes to recognize one audio interface and one only. I've heard of there being a custom ASIO that allows for aggregate interfaces. But I've never used it or set it up.