Hi all

I am very new to modular, and I have a bit of a weird system. As such, I am having some difficulty working out basic patches.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could show me some really basic patches for my system so that I can get started (also, so I can tell if it is 'operator error', or if something is not working properly).

Thanks

ModularGrid Rack

You've been working with this configuration for a month, right? What have you tried that did something you want to expand on? What have you tried that didn't work?

I only really started playing with it a few days ago, but I am not having any luck getting sound out of it.

I understand much of the theory of what I am trying to do, but cannot get it to work in practice.

Part of the issue is that I am having trouble with the Dreadbox modules. Being multifunction, I am not entirely sure how to get the single function that I want to work, and all videos on how to use them are about more elaborate patches/sounds - not how to simply get them to work!

Amongst other attempts, I've been trying to run the Hysteria (VCO) output into the Lifeforms (ADSR) input, then this output into the Eudomonia (Mixer), but I am not sure how to get the VCA part engaged.

And this is all set up (possibly incorrectly) using CV from my Arturia KeyLabs 88 Mk2, from which I am running the gate signal to the trigger on the Lifeforms and the pitch to the 1V/Oct on the Hysteria. The Eudomonia out goes to my AI.

I only get a buzzing noise out of it, which I am sure is not from the synth itself. After a few minutes buzzing, it starts making some weird alien noises, but they go away as soon as I press a key on the Keylab.

As I said, I am just trying to find a basic patch that will make a noise, so that I can learn SOMETHING that actually works (and experiment from there), and whether my modules are working/if it is my fault. I assume that it is probably me.

First of all, patch the out of Hysteria into whatever you are using to listen. See if you can get a drone that changes pitch when you play the KL. If not, pull the connection from that, and tune with the Oct slider.

When you can get a reasonable tone out of that, patch the out of Hysteria into the 1 input of Eudemonia. Turn the knob below it fully clockwise (up), and all the other knobs fully counterclockwise (down). The LP slider should be all the way up, the other sliders all the way down. Patch the out of Eudemonia to what you're listening to, and push the VCA slider up and down, and see if you hear that previous tone rise and fall in volume.

Next, patch the out of the ADSR into the VCA CV in of Eudemonia, and see if you can get the envelope (triggered by the KL) to do what you were doing with your fingers on the VCA slider. There you have a basic patch. Now you can play with the filter sliders on Eudemonia, the envelope settings on the ADSR, and the root pitch and waveforms on Hysteria. After that, you can start bringing in modulation.

Thanks! That is really helpful. I'll give it a go!

Ok, I tried putting the Hysteria directly into the AI, and it went crazy and reset.

So I put the VCO into the mixer on the Eudemonia, and plugged the CV gate into the 'pulse' jack on the Hysteria. The pitch was still in the 1V/Oct jack on the Hysteria.

For the first time I heard something from pressing the keys, but there is still that buzz that is FAR louder than the notes. The notes were barely perceptible, but at least they were there!!

I'm guessing the buzz is some sort of ground loop or something? Either way, it is there even when the modular synth is switched off, but the mixer (Eudemonia) out is still connected to the AI.

Thoughts?

The pulse jack on Hysteria is an output, not an input. Look at the manual. That's why I told you to use the gate to trigger the ADSR envelope, and then use that envelope to control a VCA.

In the earlier thread, you were told to turn down everything as much as possible, either using a VCA from the modular or the input gain control on your audio interface. Eurorack voltages are higher than line audio, and some devices will have trouble with it. What audio interface are you using, how are the cables connected, and how is the power supplied to everything? What happens if you unplug the switched-off modular?

Ah, I didn't realise that was an output.

I was trying to hear the VCO without anything else, as per your first step (I hadn't gotten to the second step yet). However, even with the AI (Focusrite 4i4) gain at zero, it still came in too hot. Hence, I ran it through the mixer first, as someone suggested to me before. I stopped at that point, as the buzzing was clearly a problem, and I didn't want to push on until it was rectified.

I am connecting to the AI via a 1/8 mono cable with a stereo 1/4 adapter on the end - it has been a drama getting a 1/8 to 1/4 mono cable from my supplier. Might that be part/all of my buzzing problem? I am not used to using 1/8 mono... This is connected into the front 1/8 jack with the adjustable gain.

I will ignore the buzzing for now, and push on with what you wrote before (and not plug outputs into outputs...)

The Focusrite is a good interface, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can't handle high levels. I have a 2i2, but I don't use it with my modular. I have output modules, which you no longer have space for (you might have to sacrifice one of the Dreadboxes for one if the problem persists). INST mode is off, right? I would be happier without the stereo adapter. I think you need to disconnect everything, and then see what combinations of connections and power on/off result in the buzzing. Is the interface connected to anything else besides the modular? Is it plugged into the same power strip as the modular, or a different power source?

Ok, I did what you said before, and it seemed to work fine today. Clearly that was operator error.

The only thing not working for me is the ADSR. The light is not on, and I am getting no changes from it or triggers. I will have to check the power cable is in, and that it is working.

Thanks for all of your assistance. You've got me past that first hurdle :)

Good! Keep us posted.

This was my first time looking at the Dreadbox modules and their manuals, and I'm a little surprised at how sparse the documentation is. They're cheap and cheerful, but, for example, what exactly does the "Pulserizer" on the Utopia do? Perhaps the videos reveal all...

The only thing not working for me is the ADSR. The light is not on, and I am getting no changes from it or triggers. I will have to check the power cable is in, and that it is working.

-- cj18

Before busting out the M3 screwdriver, try this... Turn all of the ADSR controls to the left (ie: very short to zero envelope behavior), then feed a gate pulse into it. Then, slowly bring up the Sustain level and Release time; your Attack and Decay controls should function as VERY short parts of the modulation signal without touching them. At that point, you should see/hear some proper function from the ADSR when its output is patched to either a modulation input or a VCA although you'll have to patch up a basic audio signal and feed that to a VCA. It can make sounds, but only when being clocked by an audio oscillator to bring the activity up into the audio range (and by using short ADSR values!!!); normally, you wouldn't send an envelope gen's output to your overall mix, as the actual envelope function isn't in an audible range.

You can also use the Toolbox as a primitive envelope generator by patching your gate to the top input. The Time knob will control rise/fall. Can you can patch the output to the VCA CV and hear notes? If so, then it's back to the ADSR module. Is the cable connected the right way around? If so, you may need to talk to Pittsburgh Modular.