ModularGrid Rack

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a bit of advice on my rack as it’s slowly filling up and I want to get some opinions before I buy anything else!

I sequence using an iPad, using the modular to create semi-generative textural / rhythmic loops before adding some bits and pieces in ableton.

I Haven’t yet got the 2VCA, nearness, NIN, ATN8 or the A133-2. Looking to pick up the nearness and 2VCA or the doepfer next. Also I have a typhoon instead of beads which I’m looking to swap (sadly at the expense of the typhoons stereo VCAs and gain knobs which I use for output gain control). There’s 10hp leftover in this layout and I’m open to suggestions on what that could be filled with - and also things I could potentially swap out to gain back some hp if needed!

Which leads me to the Voltage Block and ATN8...ATN8 seems like a good deal both hp and cost wise but I’m wondering whether to go for a stereo mixer/attenuator with a smaller footprint? After swapping typhoon for beads and losing its stereo output gain knob I have reservations about using 2 fiddly knobs on the ATN8 to control EOC output. But I do like the flexibility it offers and it would be nice to have some cv mixing capability. Plus it’s more future proof if I end up swapping out the lifeforms. The VB gets used in every patch - but I wonder if swapping it for a NE mimetic digitalis is a better choice for a case this size.

Also, I know I could put the lifeforms back in its box and save a bunch of hp, but it’s so much more convenient and portable having it in the case! Long term I may replace with a different osc/filter/env combo, but it’s staying for now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

You've said it yourself: put the SV-1b back in its case, because it's skewing your decisions, unless you commit to a larger case. If you don't, you risk saying to yourself six months from now, "Why did I let this push me around?".

I think ATN8 is going to be too small and fiddly (it may prove difficult to use in practice), and I would suggest separating attenuversion and mixing in your mind (but not necessarily in what you purchase, just don't make the combo a priority). Nearness is a start but mine took three months to arrive, be warned. You might consider Hyrlo and/or Doepfer A138s for mixing. There are lots of other possibilities. On the attenuversion side, 3xMIA, Frap Tools 321, and again many other possibilities.

If you're using the VB regularly, then stick with it until you can build a compelling argument otherwise.

Thanks a lot for the advice plgrade. I should probably have been clearer that i will most likely sell the lifeforms rather than expanding by moving it out the rack - which obviously impacts what I’d put in it’s place. Nothing against the sv1 - Just had it for a few years and looking for a change. I’m filling this rack at a snails pace but I suppose I should get planning on what will fill the space. The new Tiptop/buchla 258t looks tempting!

I think you’re right about the size of the ATN8. It’s a shame but looking at how tightly the knobs are spaced compared to the stages makes it look like it would be a pain to operate. I’ll have a look at the modules you suggested when I have a minute and get planning again!