I love ModularGrid for planning out racks, but the one thing that keeps getting me is the panel versions feature.

It seems that whenever someone uploads a new image for a module, it also updates racks that already had the old primary panel version. Admittedly this is cosmetic, but it's a bit frustrating to come back to a rack and find that modules have changed color or design because someone else uploaded new images.

It wouldn't be such a big deal except that selecting an alternate panel doesn't actually seem to work most of the time. If I open a rack, get info on a module, and click an alternate panel, it does add that panel to one of my racks, but it's usually not the one the module was actually in. This would be a big change so please consider it a feature request, but it seems like it would solve several problems here to add panel versions to the module finder.

Ideally, when adding a module to a rack, ModularGrid should remember which panel was used so that new panel images don't automatically apply to existing racks. When deleting a module, the module should be archived rather than removed from existing racks. HP and 1U properties should also probably not be editable after a module is created.

And, at the very least, starting from a rack, clicking the "i" button on a module, and then selecting an alternate panel should always return to the same rack. (Usually I'm returned to a different rack with the module added there.)

Do you know that you can change the panel version directly in the rack view with the Panel Selector function? You don't have to go to the module detail view.
I tried to explain it here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/1749

If I open a rack, get info on a module, and click an alternate panel, it does add that panel to one of my racks, but it's usually not the one the module was actually in.

You will be redirected to the last rack you have changed. That is your active rack.
Current workaround: just wiggle a module slightly in a rack to make that rack active. I know that is a bit wonky ...

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Indeed, thanks! I never caught on to the fact that it was the last rack where I had moved any module that ends up with the selected panel. Definitely a bit wonky, but it works.

Selecting an alternate panel always works for me and it keeps showing in my rack.
What problem do you encounter when attempting this?

It’s a problem when you have multiple racks. See above.

Ah I see.