ModularGrid Rack

I'm about to buy my first modules to do some industrial techno kind of sounds (especially percussion ones). Any advice ?

Hi Denez.
Do you have power a brick or wall wart to drive that source d'energie?
Are you planning to interface with a computer or external gear?
Why did you pick a single hi-hat module rather than a generic drum module/rom player with more sounds/instruments?

Other than that, it looks very workable with those utilities sprinkled in. The Outs is optional IMHO, you can feed your monitors/headphones from the A-138. Get a vca instead. Oh and a attenuverter will be needed for adjusting the cv coming from your lfo and env.

cheers,
Ralf

Hi Wiggler ! Thanks for your answer !

I don’t have anything yet but I guess I would be able to find a 230 to 15v power brick.. Is that impossible or too expansive ? As a beginner in modular I’m looking for a very cheap 6U case and uZEUS or that Source d’énergie seemed to be a good way not to spend too much money.

Yeah I guess I’ll use a computer (running Max 7/Pure data) because for now I don’t have enough money to buy a cool sequencer like René or others.

I was not able to find a drum module that had multiple triggers in order to use with grid, and more important, that had multiple outputs so I can process the sound of each instrument (with reverb, distortion..) individually. Last Braid’s firmware has drum sounds included so I think it’ll help.

A voice in my noobs head told me that having 6.3mm jack for the line outputs would be better but ok I’m gonna get rid of that Outs module. Also for the VCA I planned to use RYO’s uptodist… Will this apply distortion on everything ?

Oh and also I’ve seen a lot of little racks using Maths to do all the utility stuff, should it replace my ADSR ?

Thank you for your help !

Hi Wiggler ! Thanks for your answer !

...looking for a very cheap 6U case and uZEUS or that Source d’énergie seemed to be a good way not to spend too much

Sounds familiar to me. I built a 6Ux84 skiff from cardboard, inspired by this:
I went with a uZeus too. It's now powering over 20 modules with no problems. Watch the ma count though.

Yeah I guess I’ll use a computer (running Max 7/Pure data) because for now I don’t have enough money to buy a cool sequencer like René or others.

Excellent!

I was not able to find a drum module that had multiple triggers in order to use with grid, and more important, that had multiple outputs so I can process the sound of each instrument (with reverb, distortion..) individually. Last Braid’s firmware has drum sounds included so I think it’ll help.

That's a problem right there. If you want a conventional drum track you will need 3 individual modules to produce 3 note polyphonic percussion. (The idea of spending like a complete row on just "drums" seemed ridiculous to me). Erica has a new sampler that plays 2 samples at the same time out of a few dozen with an option to upload your own. Grids seems to make sense only with seperate modules though.

A voice in my noobs head told me that having 6.3mm jack for the line outputs would be better but ok I’m gonna get rid of that Outs module. Also for the VCA I planned to use RYO’s uptodist… Will this apply distortion on everything ?

Probably you will need 6.3 mm at some point. You can buy a Doepfer 3.5 - 6.3 cable or just make your own converter from a cigar box. Be sure to add a few bananas too ,you never know ;-)

Oh and also I’ve seen a lot of little racks using Maths to do all the utility stuff, should it replace my ADSR ?
Well Maths is a lot of things. So yes it could replace your env too but it's not an ADSR, just a rise and fall.
You might get puzzled by the multitude of features though. Your A-140 is a perfect start. When that gives you a yawn you may want to look at Make Noise Function which is the smaller brother of Maths. I got mine used for 100 EUR and it's a keeper . As for the attenuverter I would go for cheap used stuff and upgrade with experience.

Thank you for your help !
-- Denez

You're welcome. Ask away.