Sorry if my question is redundant but I have not managed to find an answer to this one.
I have read somewhere (cannot find it anymore...) that the module responds to velocity. How do I send velocity and to what input?
I am only starting with modular and some notions and concepts are still a little vague.
Thanks for any feedback/hint on the matter.
Best,
Olivier

https://misw.us/SY0.5_UserGuide_Dec2018.pdf

In this guide, it says that the trigger input has a dynamic response to input levels. Maybe this is what you are referring to.

Hi,
I imagine that they refer to the Trigger input, I see that it responds to different levels of the trigger, so the higher the peak voltage of the trigger, the greater the response of the internal VCA.
Other modules respond the same to a 6V trigger as to a 8V trigger or a 10V trigger. In this case, it appears that the trigger directly drives an internal VCA, so it is sensitive to the trigger voltage.
To take advantage of this you will need a sequential that has a velocity parameter or modulate the trigger before entering into the SY0.5.
Best regards,

Hi and thanks a lot for the hint, really appreciated.
I am using a Torso T-1 to sequence this module and I know I have the option to send cv with pitch OR velocity but I cannot get my head around as to how send various levels of velocity (I can do that on T-1 no problem with as it has a dedicated knob for this function).
When you say "you will need a sequential that has a velocity parameter" it refers to that?
Now, "modulate the trigger before entering into the SY0.5" in the trigger input or pitch?
Really sorry if my question seems stupid but as I said, I am only starting.
Thanks a lot to both of you.
Olivier

Hi,
I imagine that they refer to the Trigger input, I see that it responds to different levels of the trigger, so the higher the peak voltage of the trigger, the greater the response of the internal VCA.
Other modules respond the same to a 6V trigger as to a 8V trigger or a 10V trigger. In this case, it appears that the trigger directly drives an internal VCA, so it is sensitive to the trigger voltage.
To take advantage of this you will need a sequential that has a velocity parameter or modulate the trigger before entering into the SY0.5.
Best regards,
-- ferranadsr

This is the manual I am actually referring to :)
So that would mean I can send a velocity (cv, not trigger) message to the trigger input?

https://misw.us/SY0.5_UserGuide_Dec2018.pdf

In this guide, it says that the trigger input has a dynamic response to input levels. Maybe this is what you are referring to.
-- fretless19

Hi,

I am using a Torso T-1 to sequence this module and I know I have the option to send cv with pitch OR velocity but I cannot get my head around as to how send various levels of velocity (I can do that on T-1 no problem with as it has a dedicated knob for this function).
When you say "you will need a sequential that has a velocity parameter" it refers to that?
The truth is that I don't know that sequencer, nor how it transmits the different parameters to the modular system. In that I can't help you.
Now, "modulate the trigger before entering into the SY0.5" in the trigger input or pitch?
The triggers can be modulated, you can get a 0 to 5V trigger from a 0 to 10V trigger.
CV actually stands for Voltage Control, and a trigger would be a type of CV, specifically a square waveform with a very small amplitude. This is why you can use a square wave LFO, for example, to trigger a drum module.
Really sorry if my question seems stupid but as I said, I am only starting.
Thanks a lot to both of you.
Olivier

Hi,
Best regards,
-- ferranadsr

-- Loersatz

...So that would mean I can send a velocity (cv, not trigger) message to the trigger input?
-- Loersatz

Hi,
I dont know the specific modules you are using. But maybe my (pretty short) experience with modular is helpful:

The trigger inputs on my modules mainly reacts when there is a voltage rise within a very short time in the input signal (RISE).
I can imagine that there are also trigger inputs that reacts to fast voltage drops as well (FALL).

All my sequencers that produces gate & pitch/CV have one thing in common:
The voltage of the pitch/CV output stays at the last sent value until the next gate with a different value is fired.
So the pitch/CV does not go back to zero volts after the step!
But the voltage of the gate-out goes always back to zero (time depends on gate length).

With that in mind you can try the following to produce gates that has different voltages and also jump back to zero volts after trigger.

route the pitch/CV signal of your sequencer through a VCA
use the the gate signal of your sequencer to control the VCA
plug the output of the VCA into the "dynamic trigger input" of your module.
pretty sure it will work!?

Thanks a lot for the help, really much appreciated.
I will make some tests and get back here if it can help anybody :)
Best,
Olivier