I'm not happy with the punch and depth of my kick drums. Before I look at swapping modules I wanted to see if there were techniques or patch ideas that I maybe haven't discovered. What modules and techniques would you use to create massive kicks? And is there anything that you'd change in order to do so? TIA. ModularGrid Rack

Compression is the key

over:under

I like to send LFOs into tube amps, resonant filters, reverbs, etc., here's one example:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11054

Frequency shifters can also be helpful in getting huge drums. I don't typically start with an actual drum sample myself when I'm trying to come up with drum sounds. You didn't say what you're doing now but given that you have that Quad Drum Voice there, I assume that's what you're starting with. So with what you have there I would try the Drum Voice into some combination of the wavefolder, the C4RBN filter, and/or Veils. Not sure how quickly C4RBN self-oscillates, but try setting the resonance just short of self-oscillation and play with controls and see what sounds you can get. You just have to experiment.

I guess you have all modules to get a huge kick.
FLD6 and crb4n are well for it.

Maybe you need to find the right compression or a better sidechaining.

I guess one general approach is:

adiditional wavefolding on the kick + modulated reverb/delay on the rumble + the right sidechaining + compression

1. I use befaco percall. I do wavefolding on a nice vco and send it to channel 1 of percall to get a instant kick. I use the multed copy of the kick without wavefolding and send it through a delay/reverb (mimeophon) to create rumble. I modulate the delay and reverb with synced lfos. - I send the rumble into channel 2 of percall to get it ducked against the kick. Addiotional i can modulate the strength cv of percall to get rhytmical chopped beats. End of chain is mscl for compression.

2. I use bastl waver as a drum bus. I send the kick of SSF Ultra Kick (which offers a finished kick + dynamics) trough Channel 1 on bastl waver to add some wavefolding/distortion. I send my Rumble from BIA or other modules through a delay/reverb and modulate it with lfos (mimeophon), then I send it in channel 3 of waver - to use it´s internal vca to sidechain it against the kick with the sidchain-envelope from Ultra Kick. With waver I can modulate the wavefolding and also break it rhytmically with the break cv, to get nice effects. End of chain is mscl for compression.

Greetings

Chris

JOMOX Modbase 09 MK 2...
Kick drum from JOMOX Alphabase with CV control and saved presets.

get a eurorack compressor mixer with distortion like Mutant Hot Glue. Erica Synths makes a good drum mixer with a compressor as well as Endorphin.es has Cockpit. I use these a lot with my modular drums to beef them up for kicks and snares.

JOMOX Modbase 09 MK 2...
Kick drum from JOMOX Alphabase with CV control and saved presets.
-- bopodoq

Oh yeah now we're talking! I love using my Jomox kick drum bass module with Hot Glue compressor and distortion makes serious beefy kick drums!

Hi :)
I am using various solutions to design my kicks:
1) Michigan Synth SY0.5
2) MI Plaits
3) Sometimes using samples but I am not convinced anymore :)
Nevertheless, I am still pursuing the best solution to design my kicks as ready made ones (macro oscillators or other dedicated kick modules) do not offer as much sound design possibilities.
I have been gathering info from YT and I come to the conclusion that I am more enclined to use a basic VCO with various waveforms, an EG (ADSR or ASR) and a VCA to yeld the results I am aiming at.
Here are a couple of resourceful videos in case it can help:
- The Modular Spaghetti Solutions - Making a Eurorack modular Techno kick drum with an envelope generator. No VCA needed
- Sinus - Tech Talk 004 Make Your Own Kickdrum In Eurorack Pure Analog Deep Full Live Patching
- Thomann - How to create the perfect kick drum | Lets Patch | Thomann
- DJ TechTools - How To Make An Analog Kick with Tobi Neumann
- Voltage Control Lab - Eurorack Modular Kick Drum Tutorial
- Stazma - Analog Kick Drum tutorial: Stazma Modular Tips & Tricks

Hi :)
I am using various solutions to design my kicks:
1) Michigan Synth SY0.5
2) MI Plaits
3) Sometimes using samples but I am not convinced anymore :)
Nevertheless, I am still pursuing the best solution to design my kicks as ready made ones (macro oscillators or other dedicated kick modules) do not offer as much sound design possibilities.
I have been gathering info from YT and I come to the conclusion that I am more enclined to use a basic VCO with various waveforms, an EG (ADSR or ASR) and a VCA to yeld the results I am aiming at.
Here are a couple of resourceful videos in case it can help:
- The Modular Spaghetti Solutions - Making a Eurorack modular Techno kick drum with an envelope generator. No VCA needed
- Sinus - Tech Talk 004 Make Your Own Kickdrum In Eurorack Pure Analog Deep Full Live Patching
- Thomann - How to create the perfect kick drum | Lets Patch | Thomann
- DJ TechTools - How To Make An Analog Kick with Tobi Neumann
- Voltage Control Lab - Eurorack Modular Kick Drum Tutorial
- Stazma - Analog Kick Drum tutorial: Stazma Modular Tips & Tricks
-- Loersatz

Great links, I haven't seen all these, but the Tobi Neumann video is how I learned to patch a kick. :)

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Hey @Jukeshoe,
Would you mind sharing what type of (basic?) oscillator to choose to design a kick?
I posted something here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/12677
Not sure this is the right place :)
Thank you,
L

Hey @Jukeshoe,
Would you mind sharing what type of (basic?) oscillator to choose to design a kick?
I posted something here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/12677
Not sure this is the right place :)
Thank you,
L
-- Loersatz

Happily!

I use a Dixie II+.

That said, while I will often patch my kick from scratch (also use Plaits), one of the things I find most lacking in my current small setup (other than ASDR) is a quick and easy bass drum that doesn't burn maths and 3-4 channels of vca and/or Plaits.

If your setup can support it, though, might be worth it.

So, while capable of getting a good kick sound, maybe not the most elegant solution?

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi @Jukeshoe,
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
I have a relatively small setup as well but enough to have fun (9U 84hp).
Here is the link: ModularGrid Rack
I am still unsure which way I am going in terms of drums: I do like the idea of patching my own kick but again, space IS crucial, as you can see :) I am in no rush though and with Plaits and SY0.5, I am good to go.