Hi all, my first post after years of lurking!
So I'm finally dipping into hardware after years of working in the box, and I've been fascinated by Eurorack for the last two years. If you'll indulge me, a little background - I used to play drums in a grindcore band in my teens and early twenties and have since dabbled in harsh noise/electronics. I spent a while trying to marry grindcore and chiptune... most of what I've produced could really not be called music. I want to create a quite unhinged Eurorack setup but don't really know where to start. I mean if pushed most of the popular modules could make a mess of noise, but I'm looking for modules that are a little off the wall. I want something that can actually produce music (I do also dabble in synthwave and darksynth so I'm not totally amusical) but requires work or coralling if that makes sense. I'm also fascinated by random generative approaches, but not entirely sure if that would work with a rack full of weirdness. But basically I'm just asking for fairly harsh, unpredictable and weird modules.

Some makers to check out:
Noise Engineering
x1l3
Error Instruments
Eowave
Animal Factory Amplification
Bastl/Casper

I agree with 33PO's recommendations and would also add Schlappi Engineering.
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the heads up. Going to spend an evening on YouTube checking some of these out!

Noise Engineering, for sure. I would start with either the Loquelic Iteritas Percido or the Cursus Iteritas Percido. Both of these modules are complete voices and aren't in any need of other modules (except a sequencer) to get you into the sonic territory that you are seeking. And when you add modulation, you will totally pee yourself. They are expensive, but would actually be less expensive than the several multiple modules it would take and cost you to get even close to what either one of these can do.
Have fun on your journey....

over:under

The modules I've personally used that are particularly effective for harsh noise music are:

E352 Cloud Terrarium, a wavetable oscillator from Synthesis Technology with some extremely chaotic transforms it can perform. You can also load your own wavetables using a MicroSD card if you want to dig into it further.

Interstellar Radio from Schlappi Engineering, which can either act on it's own or transform an input source. It can sound like a completely unhinged oscillator or like radio tuning sounds.

Ruina Versio, a multifaceted stereo distortion module from Noise Engineering that has a lot of different controls for getting different kinds of distortion. You can get lots of different distortion sounds out of it. Plus, not all types of distortion are as effective with different kinds of source sounds, and RV has enough variety that it can mangle anything I've tried it with.

Beyond those, the next item on my harsh noise wishlist is either an Invisible Friend or Liquid Glitcher from Error Instruments -- Liquid Glitcher is a subset of Invisible Friend. Either can make all kinds of chaotic sounds in terms of both drones and percussive noise.

For modulation, there are a lot of different options. I personally use a quad function generator called QARV from After Later Audio. Zadar from Xaoc is a quad envelope/LFO generator that can use a lot of different complex shapes to keep the modulation from being too predictable.

There are many solutions to meet your criteria at Noise Engineering. I agree in particular with the suggestion about Loquelic Iteritas Percido. This module is a Hummer H1.

But if you really want to play with the bizarre, while remaining powerful and deep: WMD Synchrodyne, without hesitation. But here you’re dealing with an UFO.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

i picked up a 100 grit from schlappi engineering.
I have so much fun with it

Its a filter/distortion and you can play it as a noise/distortion instrument

Check out schlappi engineering - they make awesome modules
i hope they do more stuff soon

Check out teleblender from error instruments

I can not imagine what happents if you combine them both. I really want to try it

Greetings

Chris