Hey there I am new to modular (not to synths) and I would like to explore techno drums and textures in a small compact modular. So far I came up with this idea based in some videos and posts I have seen online. Any opinions? what does it need? is any module in there that should not? thanks in advance.https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1517764.jpg

Im also still in the beginning, but I guess the case is way to small except you are totally focused for a certain porpuse and know whar youre doing.
like building a additional FX or noise Box etc for your main case.

I dont know which external gear you want to pair with.

I guess:
1. a midi/cv-interface to pair it with external gear like a laptop or digitakt

like hexinverter mutant brain or others

1. a nice filter
  2. vcas
  3. distortion / saturation
  4. a minimum of dynamics and processing
  5. lfos

look out for function combos like:

bastl ikarie = filter + drive+ vca

cosmotronic delta is a smal nice vca/envelope

a blackbox external or in the case could be cool for sampling drums if you dont use a laptop or digitakt. - I prefer it over the sample drum.

if you want to explore drums maybe you consider to get different drum modules with different synthesis styles like physical modeling, analog, fm etc - I guess more drum stuff will surely follow.

You need space for utilites like attenuverters
and stuff to scale, shift, offset and mix cv. - you will see what is missing while you are in the process.

I made the hard experience to start with a smal case. Now I pair 3 different sized cases at the moment.

Sure I can alter them for special purposes, but right now, Im looking for a nice all in one rack and to get rid of the others.

Better dont go under 7u 104.
And calculate some trial and error

Greetings

Chris

Thank you so much that is very useful! I will have a deep look and think about it. Because maybe what I need instead is a drum machine (been considerin the Erica Synths LXR-02) seems good to come up with industrial-ish sounds which would fit my goal . I had the Digitakt a while ago and it is pretty awesome but I ended up selling it after a year without using it and almost forgetting the workflow. Got an Ableton Push 2 instead but idk, I don't feel it tbh, I end up doing almost eveything with the mouse anyhow. So maybe thatswhy I need again some hardware to try new fonts of inspiration as I am currently unable to come up with new ideas.

The lxr 2 is also available as a eurorack module.
You could use your push and pc to control the eurorack with midi.

If you just want a new drum maschine, be aware that its expensive in modular + you have a learn curve. Getting a desktop lxr 2 is saving money and time.
But building a own drum maschine is much fun, I think.

For me, creating drums and rhythms in modular is much more fun than using drummaschines.

Greetings

Chris

Here are some things you might consider for drum modules:
* Sample Drum only plays 2 drum samples and is designed more for playing whole drum breaks than sequencing drums
* QD can play 4 drum samples and a lot of features that make sequencing drums easy effective
* Queen of Pentacles and LXR are even more powerful and LXR contains the engine from LXR-02

Here are some things that you might want to consider for sequencing:
* Pamela's New Workout can do Euclidean sequencing but everything is accessible through menus
* Euclidean Circles gives you the same capability but with hands-on controls (it needs an external clock, though)
* Steppy lets you do x0x style sequencing (like the LXR-02) for up to 4 channels -- use 2 if you need more drums than that. This gives you direct control over your drum sequencing instead of using Euclidean patterns (also requires an external clock)

For effects, Monsoon probably isn't what you're looking for. Granular processing can be an interesting effect on drums, but there are other effects that can be more useful. FX Aid is a good effect, but maybe not the ideal one. For example, Ghost gives you a whole suite of useful tools including delay, reverb, and compression with sidechaining. If you're not sure what you need, it will have what you need.

Something like this might be a good choice:
ModularGrid Rack

Rather than 2x Steppy, take a look at Varigate 8 or SWT16+ if you want to sequence in the rack, or Beatstep Pro would do a great job if you're looking for desktop sequencing

Otherwise a good midi to CV converter to keep sequening in-the-box. Mutant Brain is a budget favorite for drums, or FH2 + some expanders will allow you to build a completely customized Midi to CV configuration

If this is for exploration, have you considered the Moog DFAM? It's a nice start for playing around with percussion, plus since it's semi-modular, you can later add a small rack with things like external modulation.

my go to portable modular drum setup is queen of pentacles plus winter eloquencer sequencer and utilities like a good mixer, vcas, and lfo for modulation. I love the Eloquencer sequencer because you can view and sequence all eight voices from the QoP drum module as well as create and chain patterns as projects for recall later and song modes like that found on the Elektron gear.

I'm in the processing of building a small drum box myself, which you can find here: ModularGrid Rack

Take note - it's a very small case. I would not advise that at all to anybody starting with modular. My advise is usually to start small with the modules, but big with the case. Mantis or 7U, as mentioned above.

The Constellation is also a Euclidean sequencer, but next level. You can layer Euclidean patterns in many different ways that I don't understand yet myself. So the purpose of this very small rack is to focus myself on getting to know that sequencer.

I'm quite a fan of the Rample. 4 channels of samples. Mostly drums, some complete drum breaks, some silly or crazy, some very useful but not drum at all (e.g. piano or a singer). Ro'ved, which is a Plaits clone, is also interesting for drums, particularly when combined with Traffic. I'm definitely getting that module at a later date. Note the FX Aid also and the filter. Those are a bare minimum for any rack. You really want some sort of reverb to add presence, or a delay. FX Aid has plenty of those. There may be better ones out there, but FX Aid is a very good starter module. You can make your own selection of effects and play with them for a while, then select new effects to get to know those.

I've also added a sample-and-hold. This AfterLater one, or the Intellijel Noise Tools, are very handy in 1U. Of course you can find other modules in 3U as well. With S&H, you can add some variance to your sound so they sound less robotic.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud