Hey there,

I'm ready to buy my first Eurorack setup so I've been researching various modules and, as you may know, the selection available is impressively vast. I'd appreciate your guidance in making some decisions.

My aim for my initial Eurorack setup is to delve into repetitive yet evolving rhythmic patterns, enriched with melodic bass lines.

I own a Minifreak synth at home, which I adore. Its modulation matrix sparked my interest in the Eurorack universe. I'm eager to integrate my Minifreak with a Eurorack to enhance my compositions.

My module plan: ModularGrid Rack

In terms of housing, I'm aiming for Intellijel Designs Palette 104 4U: https://www.thomann.de/intl/intellijel_designs_palette_104_4u.htm

Here are my questions:

• To begin with, do I need any extra modules just to produce sound and start experimenting?
  • Are there any utility modules I might be overlooking?
  • Do you have any suggestions for swapping out or adding more modules?

Thank you for your help!

I like the modules you choosed.
I think its a good starting point but more stuff will surely follow
PPl will say: "Get a bigger case"

Maestro is cool for (rhyrmic) modulation
Maths is cool, but I if its your only utillity it is to less
If you integate the minifreak you might spare the ensemble osc out
BIA for almost everything is nice

You would need a midi cv interface, if you want to control or sequence the minifreak or other synths with eurorack.
More utillity modules like attenuverters, matrix mixer, offsets, vcas etc
You could add a dedicated filter even if the Ghost has one integrated
Vcas

you need the exra intellijel output module for the intellijel case to get sound out of it.
Or a other output module for modular to line level output - or a VCA

Greetings

Chris

I like the modules you choosed.
I think its a good starting point but more stuff will surely follow
PPl will say: "Get a bigger case"

Agreed that it's an interesting collection of modules to start with. Also, let me be the first person to live up to MCGM's prediction: you'll probably end up wanting a bigger case, sooner than later (no disrespect to the intellijel 4u intended). Building a small focused rack is certainly doable, but it comes with sacrifices and really requires you to know how to get the best functional bang for your buck hp wise. Again, totally doable, and you can build an amazing instrument in your selected case, but as a beginner the restricted hp makes things more difficult. Plus, despite what everyone tells themselves, eventually GAS will strike and you'll want to try something new that won't fit. Personally, I'm fond of the mantis cases, but there are plenty of others out there to consider.

More utillity modules like attenuverters, matrix mixer, offsets, vcas etc
You could add a dedicated filter even if the Ghost has one integrated
Vcas

-- MCGM

Agreed with all of @MCGM's comment, but really want to highlight this part. You'll get a whole lot more out of the modules you've already selected if you invest in utility modules like the ones listed, especially vcas. Let me also recommend LFOs. Something like the Ochd and it's really useful expander is great for slow organic changes.

As a side note, how were you planning to use the quantizer, was that for the Steppy? Quantizers are cool, but unless you have a specific use in mind, maybe not the best fit for the collection of modules you already have listed (the Pams can do some quantization, for example).

Anyhoo, good luck!

Edited because I made a typo.

Just a heads up, the black Maths is unobtanium at sane prices. I'd recommend looking at the standard silver panel if you are dead set on Maths.

Just a heads up, the black Maths is unobtanium at sane prices. I'd recommend looking at the standard silver panel if you are dead set on Maths.
-- farkas

Or look into a nice, black replacement panel.

-- farkas

Or look into a nice, black replacement panel.
-- ambientvalent

Maths with a black panel is 100% the same all-but-rare module everybody has ever owned... IMO these prices are ridiculously laughable. Buy Maths used, some utilities (attenuvert/offset) and a good mixer for this case. Thank me later ;-)

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube