Hi guys, I did what you all say not to do, and started out last year with an Intellijel Palette 62hp. I have outgrown it in terms of space and have been having trouble getting my setup down right. I just ordered a 6u Rackbrute today, and in this rack I've put in all the modules I own with the exception of the couple 1U modules I have.

I would love for someone to provide me with some feedback on how to make this case come alive and have everything work together.

I really dislike Pams New Workout and Rings, so I will probably get rid of those. Please let me know what I could use to make this flow and modulate better. Logic modules? VCA's? Effects? I'm really stuck on what I need to get to complete this with the main voices being Plaits and Sample Drum.

Thanks!

(edit: the preview in this thread doesn't seem to reflect the modules I put on the rack, please click on the rack to see the actual modules that I own. The modules off of the rack are just ones I like or am looking forward to acquiring.)

What are you trying to achieve that you can't do now? What kind of music are you making?

id definitley hang onto pams until you run out of space an then decide if you really dislike it that much. i have two new and a pro. ive had to talk myself out of buying more when i see a good deal on one. they are so versatile. if nothing else just set them all to random and use them as random cv theough the case.

what are tou trying to donwith your rack? are you doing generative stuff or are tou trying to control it with a keyboard or midi?

Britton asbury

Thanks for the replies. The idea of the rig is to be easily able to jam out and loop to some extent, be a great synth on its own, and a great groove box with some audio processing/coloring in the future. I dont think im into making "generative" patches but rather using Plaits more as a keyboard synth and being able to sound shape it and evolve it on demand (as opposed to programming a geerative patch that plays itself).

I mainly want to figure out how to make Plaits, and the Sample Drum "sing" better, or utilize them better, modulation wise. The disting is there solely for its microtonal quantizer because I make middle eastern music.

Acid Rain Maestro could be cool, for rhytmic modulation, but its expensive
I enjoy "clank chaos" as a brain for a little system. But it can be very "chaotic" and you need to tame it :D

I would not remove the pams
It has so much to offer.
If you need logic - pams also has great logic operations in it.
It has lfos, random and much more

Your system looks to me to become a bit drum focused.
With pams you can do insane rhytmic stuff trigging and controlling the sampledrum and plaits.
If you use the logic, its totally awesome.

You could add utillities to combine with the pams and it blooms more.

On its own the Rack seems very uncomplete to me.
look for some basic modules like:
vcas, a filter, cv utillities, matrix mixer, function generators, lfos

you may could add a nice standard vco

Greetings

Chris

Yes, I would recommend that you don't sell Pam's just yet. It's magic may reveal itself to you later. I have mine mostly as a "set and forget" brain that ties my entire system together with a few channels that I change from time to time.
As MCGM said, the Maestro and other basic/utility modules will be useful. I like Voltage Block a lot for a sort of Elektron-style "p-lock" modulation sequencer. That might be a fun addition for you.
Have fun and good luck!

Amazing! I think that’s exactly what I was looking for what you guys mentioned about the set up looking incomplete. Do you guys have a couple of recommendations for those missing modules? I think voltage block might be a little too big.

I like the idea of the basic modules! This is what I mainly think I was missing. Like VCA's, a filter, CV utilitie, function, generators, and LFOS as you mentioned. Any recommendations on what could cover these missing links?

Super helpful! Thank you all!

(side note: The main reason I don’t like Pam’s is because I just like to keep it one knob per function if possible, which is also why I don’t really like Mutable Peaks either. But ill hold them until I can find something to swap with later)

it takes a while to realise what you are doing. I would clock from PNW and take some Euclidean Sequences from it --> Traffic --> Plaits/Rings --> Clouds. Learn what that is capable of first and then think about your other modules. That chain on its own will give you wonderful rhythms/ textures or drumbeats.