Hello, I am currently trying to sort out recording my audio from my rack, discovering that my niftycase is not as nifty as first thought. Yes it has many sockets but not midi in / out ( has midi in / midi thru) so I can't use my midi cable and record using Ableton lite or anything for that matter.

I am wondering would the best option be to use a dedicated recording module within my rack -
such as 4ms record https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-wav-recorder
within my rack https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2316440.jpg which as you can see is tight for space. I was looking at the Big T music Veils for my vca which would complete this case - possible Rackbrute 6u if able midway through the year. But this can wait as focus is being able to save.

So any advice on recording options would be a huge help - thanks in advance.

I record into ableton from the nifty case with midi to my audio interface.
Why does it not work?

Greetings

Chris

I record into ableton from the nifty case with midi to my audio interface.
Why does it not work?

-- MCGM

I don't own an audio interface. Nifty case plus the midi cable i recieved today which are 1 in and 1 out din ports...but case has no midi out ( a midi thru instead).

There are a few options for recording out but honestly there a lots of low cost USB audio interfaces available that would do this for you & that would cost less that buying a dedicated module.
You could use the remaining funds & HP you would save (niftycase is quite small) to get something else to put in the case.

I cant see any obvious ways you would create midi values within your case to send via a midi out.
Midi isnt audio, its a data feed, it can hold note values, or similar e.g. velocity info (typical in a midi compatible keyboard), or it can send control signals which might be equialent to mapping a midi controller knob to an ableton knob, so that one affects the other.

But to answer your question, I use distings mk4 in wav recorder mode to record anything I make in modular, and then also use the audio out from the disting mk4 into my octatrack then on to my speakers. I pop the micro SD card in my laptop when I want to convert a recording to mp3 and share

There are a few options for recording out but honestly there a lots of low cost USB audio interfaces available that would do this for you & that would cost less that buying a dedicated module.
You could use the remaining funds & HP you would save (niftycase is quite small) to get something else to put in the case.
-- Traxam

This is looking like the plan I may take, thankyou...having everything contained in the case including ability to record would be great one day. But I don't think it is right now.

Are there any usb audio interfaces you would recomend? I have seen alot of focusrite.

But to answer your question, I use distings mk4 in wav recorder mode to record anything I make in modular,
-- Sythic

I do like the idea of a self contained case...will remeber this if I dont get the 4ms one day, thanks

Some people record direct to a small feild recorder too.... which also means you are setup for collecting found-sounds to later use in the modular.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Some people record direct to a small feild recorder too.... which also means you are setup for collecting found-sounds to later use in the modular.
-- wishbonebrewery

Yes, I have seen a few handhelds - they look very interesting, do the job plus another sound source. I hope to solve the issue of recording at a low cost - maybe a focusrite audio interface to just plug in and use, if that works.

So, would this be an option and work out ok...

Niftycase + audio out cable into focusrite solo 3rd gen? https://focusrite.com/products/scarlett-solo-refurbished?setCurrencyId=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=9998263402&hsa_cam=483555825&hsa_grp=1148991330118347&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=o&hsa_tgt=pla-4575411501436731&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&msclkid=eceda7b65215191e608cc2167b74e255

-- EuroBadger

Yep, I use a focusrite in my set up to record into Ableton & it works fine