Hi all.

I'm pretty new to all this and am currently replacing my digital piano through effects pedals rig to a digital piano through modular effects rig. So far I have what you can see here - ModularGrid Rack

I definitely want to add some kind of filter but not sure which one yet. I need to get down to my local store and play around with a few. I'm wondering about another effects module though. I like reverb and the Otterley covers that pretty well. I like drones and the EP covers that pretty well. I like granular and the Uburst covers that pretty well. I also like delay with 'character' and loopers. I've looked at Morphagene and that looks like fun, as does the Pladask Dradd - though they are pretty hard to get hold of.

I like to make pretty chilled out stuff, along Eno and Budd kind of lines but mixed with a bit more avant garde droney textures and substances. Maybe there are interesting modules out there that aren't among the better known models. Some of the Instruo things look great but they're kinda pricey. Any pointers or other comments about where I'm going with this rig so far would be welcome.

cheers!

A filter bank is always nice. The Serge ResEQ is popular and has a lot of character and charm.

A simple ring modulator is also a good investment.

As for filters, definitely get one with enough room to have fun - this is one of those things you'll always fiddle with and it needs to be accessible. Personally, I'd look at a dual/stereo one or even one with more resonant peaks (like the QPAS or the Vostok Atlas), but go with your heart on this one - listen to tons of examples and do absolutely play some at stores. Another option is the Instruo Traigh, which isn't necessarily cheap but features a three input mixer and a nice classic ladder filter sound. A used one will probably be a decent price.

One thing I like to use a lot for effects is a Moog Mavis synthesizer, which can be taken out of its enclosure and mounted in a Eurorack case. For a fairly decent price you get an iconic filter, a wavefolder, a sample and hold that can be used for a bitcrushing/downsampling effect, an oscillator/LFO combo with crazy range that can be used for either thingfor built in normalized FM and other cool modulation (or just running some nice Moog voices under what you do), as well as built in mixing, multing, and an attenuator. The keyboard isn't ideal for playing, but the CV from it can be routed to other sources so it can be used to trigger events in your modular system apart from regular notes. If you had specifically asked for a synth I may not have recommended it specificslly, but it's a great package for this specific purpose as well as being a very good synth if you decide you want to fold that in as well.

Hi,
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-electronix-prism
A mix between multimode filter and delay, it is not 100% a filter, but I think it has a lot to give.
It will be my next acquisition.

A filter bank is always nice. The Serge ResEQ is popular and has a lot of character and charm.

That ResEQ is gorgeous and it now feels inevitable that I'll have to find room for one at some point

As for filters, definitely get one with enough room to have fun - this is one of those things you'll always fiddle with and it needs to be accessible. Personally, I'd look at a dual/stereo one or even one with more resonant peaks (like the QPAS or the Vostok Atlas)

Loving the Atlas. Looks like you could get very creative with it. Another great recommendation

One thing I like to use a lot for effects is a Moog Mavis synthesizer, which can be taken out of its enclosure and mounted in a Eurorack case.
-- Zacksname

This is kinda leftfield, and something I really hasn't considered but I like the idea.
Thanks for all your suggestions.