I am looking to put together a modular trying to chase 3 things:
1) Some basic Moog type sounds (I know not exciting, but I don't have a fixed architecture Moog-ish mono synth)
2) Some juicy Roland filter type action for Juno / Jupiter leaning lead sounds as well.
3) Some ambient / textural string type sounds.
I am thinking the following to start:
- Mother 32 as a base. It has great saw wave and VCF (to my ears). I have tried but can't figure out a VCO, VCA, VCF combo for as cheap as I can pick up a Mother 32 so I keep coming back to that. The sequencer and basic LFO are just a bonus, plus I get the MIDI to CV without spending money on a separate converter.
- Studio Electronics 8106. Adds some variety and juicy Roland type filter as an alternative to the ladder filter of the Mother 32.
- A basic ADSR since the Mother 32 lacks it, and I really like a good bit of release in string type and lead sounds. The Noise Reap Dopes unit is cheap and comes in a visually cool black, with the ability to be dual AD envelope generators which = versatility.
- Mutable Rings. Self-explanatory, but mainly to be a processor / sound mangler for drawing out string like resonance from otherwise normal synth patches. I'm definitely sold on this as an important part of the rack.
- Mutable Tides. I'm on the fence about this one. Thinking maybe it could help to get longer evolving textural sounds by using the looping, and it seems to cover multiple things. The wave folder seems to hold interesting potential.
- I think I will need another basic VCO, something with at least triangle and saw, since stacked saw waves for detuned sounds are cool, and also since the Mother 32 lacks triangle altogether. The Studio Electronics Slim-O looks like a possibility but at $200, I know there have to be other options that sound as good or bring something interesting.
- I will probably want to add a more elaborate LFO later.
What else am I missing? Is there any module I should consider that maybe covers multiple bases for ultimately versatility??
I will be mainly playing via a MIDI keyboard and sequencing in my DAW both. I have effects like stereo delay and reverb covered well with my existing guitar pedal board. I have a homemade 84HP case, with the ability to expand it to dual 84HP by buying more Z rails, so I am limited by money overall more than thinking of myself as limited by case size.