Hey noob here. Building first rack. Going for ambient and soundscapes. Thoughts?

Here's what I see... I'm not trying to beat up on your decisions. But I see a lot of issues.

First, don't rack mount the Behringer. Your Eurorack space is expensive and the Boog is huge. Use that rack space for more modules. You can always patch to and from the Boog next to your rack.

There's a complete lack of LFOs. There's one in the Boog but it's extremely basic.

Envelopes. You have one envelope. But it's just a standard ADSR with no frills. Check out the Tip Top Audio Z4000NS. You get a ton more features including the ability to modulate each stage of the ADSR. That will be helpful for ambient in my opinion. You probably want more than one ADSR in your rig.

Filters? Filters can shape, blend your sound and modulate it when connected to modulators. There are many types and set-ups. I would investigate a two channel multi-mode filter.

Sequencers? Are you going to run this as a stand alone rack or connect it to your DAW? Both? How are you going to generate CV, gates, triggers?

VCAs? What's on the Boog isn't going to cut it.

Utilities? Buffered Mults, logic modules, envelope followers, quantizers, etc., there's an entire subset of utilities that you should have.

My thought is this. You're not ready to put together a rack. You need to learn more of the basics before spending your money so you're not wasting it or regretting your decisions. I would download VCV rack (it's free) and start patching. I think there's a virtual "Clouds" simulator in it as well other digital versions of Mutable modules. Put in the rack 2-4 ADSRs, a sequencer, two to three VCOs, and lots of VCAs. Make some things and modulate them.

Total agreement here, Ronin...that Model D really has no place in a small cab of that sort...or, potentially, any cab. Consider that a Minimoog (which it's a copy of) is actually a very simplistic build, one which these days could theoretically be assembled in Eurorack in half the space of the Model D (or less!). Leave it in its own case where it belongs, use the space for something more productive.

As for that, again, Ronin's spot on. There's a serious, crippling lack of modulation sources, VCAs, timing/logic, filters, processors (pretty critical for ambient!), mixing and utilities. Stop working in this direction; instead, take some time to explore what other experienced MG users are doing, as well as looking at classic modular and patchable synths to see how they're designed and what implementations those designs help create. VCV isn't a bad idea, either...start with emulating something basic such as the Minimoog architecture in it BUT with the patchability that modular allows. See how this functions on that simple level...then begin experimenting with how to extend that. Translate the results into practice builds back here in MG. Also, examine what artists you enjoy and respect use, how they use it, and again how you can build onto that to make something that's very much your own.

You won't nail a design in 'one' unless you do massive research, and even then, it would be a real fluke to get EVERYTHING right. Make mistakes. Make lots of them. Screwing up on MG = no money lost. Not so much so if you try this with real hardware first.

Thank you guys!! This is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I'm extremely new to this. I was thinking of getting the pre build Doepfer A-100 things. Is that a good direction to start? Or by pieces. Thanks

I've been playing with VCV. I enjoy it.

Also, the reason I put the Model D in there is because thats the only unit I own.

84 hp cabs are very common, but with the wealth of stuff out there these days, it makes more sense to go bigger, such as 104 or 126 hp. Back when you just had a handful of Eurorack firms, cooking up something basic in 2 x 84 made sense, but these days it seems to me to be a better idea to go bigger. And after all, if your MG build uses a 126 hp cab but you find you can cram what you need into 104, you can always edit the cab size back down.

Are you talking about MG rack build? How do you edit the rack size?

In the view where you're working on your rack, you'll see a small menu in the upper-left, above the rack image. Under "Edit", select "Edit rack", and there you'll find the controls to change the rack parameters.

There's nothing wrong with buying a pre-built system. The Doepfer A-100 looks pretty tasty. There are quite a few manufacturers who make a pre-built system: Make-Noise, Roland, etc. Generally they come in a rack that's either full or mostly full. So to expand, you'll need to purchase another rack or replace existing modules. You can always keep the pulled modules until your ready to add another case.

If you have the funds up front to go that way, it's a pretty good idea.

So, I managed to piece together an A-100 Mini System used with a 9u case. Feel pretty good about it as a start. I won't rack the Boog. LOL. I figured my next module would be the Expert Sleepers ES-8 so I can incorporate VCV.

Yup...the ES-8 (and do think about maybe including an expander for it if you're crosslinking it to VCV via Silent Way...opens up loads of extra CV/gate possibilities) and Silent Way are pretty much the 'power-user' way to go these days. Putting the computer in direct contact with the modular's functions will blow the doors off of anything with a basic MIDI converter. Plus, you can also work with other software packages to realize even wilder notions; using Max as an initial control source would allow you to create your own control paradigms from scratch. Plus, keep in mind that the ES-8's return channels also allow functions in the modular to work as "control feedback" for your software environment, neatly closing that cybernetic loop!