Hello everybody !
I discovered ModularGrid two months ago. I love my Arp Odyssey since 1979, but here, wow, what a wonderful world of sound possibilities !
After two months of discovering and comparing hundreds of modules, and dozens of "final" MG racks, I don't know if this one (Eptatone Maze (Ground Floor)) is realistic according to what I hope for my achievements. ModularGrid Rack . I own a Mother 32, which will remain externally. Also a TR 808 (1981!) And two pedals Strymon, one with Midi and another without. Clouds will arrive by delivery.
The following, as you can see, come in an Intellijel 7u/104 case : I place the I / O modules for the pedals in 1U, but is it still possible to go through the line inputs of the case for other non-Midi instruments? Is there an additional module needed (1U or 3U)? The other questions mainly concern CV modulations and clock modulations. Is it enough? And from your experience, what else is missing (or redundant)? In order to compose ambient music, drones, rhythmic sequences With good generative, moving and evolutionary possibilities… This rack is the main ground floor, and will be followed by a complement for random modules, CV modulations and clocks, and other sound experiments.
Thank you in advance for your ideas and opinions. Here you make a incredible work !

fullmazeSH

It's pretty well thought out, actually...but there is one flaw: Clouds was discontinued some time back, and the best way to deal with that would be to get a third-party version, with Tall Dog's uClouds SE probably being your best bet on availability. This then opens up 10 hp, with a very good suggestion for 8 of those being a Pamela's NEW Workout. This would do quite a bit to address your clocking/pattern concerns, and it would play very nicely with the Varigate 4+. For the remaining 2 hp, given the sort of complex interconnection you're envisioning, I'd strongly suggest a regular multiple module of some sort...buffered isn't necessary, but making sure you can use this a few different ways is. SSSR has one which incorporates a switch to select either 2x4 or 1x8 modes, a function you might find useful.

As for the Intellijel line-in, yes, that'll work fine for incoming line-level audio, but you're going to need the corresponding Audio I/O 1u tile to make use of the cab's line-in and outputs. I would suggest removing the Pedal I/O tiles and the headphone tile so that that can fit, then consider removing the O'Tool and looking at Retro Mechanical Labs' GPI instead; not only would this restore the pedal I/O, but that module features two pedal interfaces, which would be a perfect complement to the Strymon pedals you have. These do require 3.5mm to 1/4" cables, but those are easily obtainable.

Hello Lugia,
I’am really honored with your answer! (this is my first question on the Net!).
I forgot to say this: in fact, Clouds comes from the States (second hand) and has arrived in Belgium. Maybe at home today or in two or three days. This is the only module I bought.
Comparing the functions of ALM Pamela and Erica Synths Black CodeSource, is this quite similar? (or not). Black CodeSouce generates clocks, but does not modulate them. Is this the difference? Pamela has the advantage of eight trigger outputs. Now I understand with the Varigate 4+ !
Thanks for the idea of Retro Mechanical Labs ! Will the Intellijel Buff Mult 1U tile not be enough? Finally, because of Clouds, there is no room for a multiple of the SSSR type. (O'Tool would come after). I find it rather functional to visualize the waves precisely in some cases. Maybe you could do without it?

fullmazeSH

Finally, there is enough space. Thank you so much ! And I think it's great, all the time you share with the Modular community. Long live the passion!

ModularGrid Rack

fullmazeSH

Yep...the Pam's is a rather different device, allowing for pattern programmability and loads of other tricks. It has major divide/multiply capabilities on clock rates, has Euclidean pattern sequencing and probabilistic skipping abilities (which fit great with your generative ideas), all sorts of internal swing and delay functions...aside of being a really excellent clock gen in of itself. It has everything you need (and more!) to wring every last bit of timing voodoo out of the Varigate, with plenty left for elsewhere in the build.

An oscilloscope has uses in the studio, to be sure...but visualizing waveforms is more of a 'toy' function, not essential. A good musician doesn't rely on whether a waveform looks suitably "textbook" or not, but instead they use their ears. Sometimes that which looks nice and "pure" doesn't have any musical use in a given situation. And yes, I do have an oscilloscope in my studio, but its main use for some time has been as an X-Y display for reading stereo phasing and diagnosing imaging problems, particularly below 200 Hz where there can be real detriments to the sound from misphased audio. I also use it to diagnose noise issues; at high gain levels, I can see any induced noise issues down at very low dB levels and this helps me diagnose noise sources and potential corrections.

Anyway, yeah, this looks great now...it'll be a good match with both the Odyssey and the M32, and if you get something such as TouellSkouarn Triglostek box, you can convert the 808's outgoing DINsync to a modular clock, letting you use the 808 as your master for pretty much the whole rig.

Really thank you, Lugia: nothing but your response about Pam and her orchestration skills is crystal clear. Great for the 808! I am bad in Midi connections: no personal practice. I did not think it was possible to use it as a master clock. Awesome !

With ModularGrig: more than two months of daily searches, 5 to 8 hours per day (!), After fifty "final" configurations of rigs, only the top of the iceberg is visible (the last piece of ice while top of the pic!). I must also deepen sequencing compared to randomness. The Euclidian will change me from my Korg SQ 10 (it is absolutely necessary that I find where I put it, and at the same time the Korg tape echo that accompanied him).

My first synth, in 1977 was an MS 20. Then the MS 50. Sold to buy the Odyssey. This is where I lost the opportunity to lose myself in the world of modular. My absolute dream was the 2600 I had heard live in Brussels. But budget inaccessible! So, no more patches. Student's work after work, and others, the all new Yamaha DX7 came to complete. As you said in an exchange with someone: horrible programming of the 80s! First polyphonic at home, first internal memories. But, aargh, where are all the knobs, the direct commands, the interactivity? In addition to subtractive synthesis, the FM was another real discovery. Operators, carriers: really fun, and a typical sound (although ..). I still like it so much. Many years without synths followed. Nine years ago, an Access Virus came to complete this small world. The possibilities of modulations are enormous. It is a very open, playful instrument that leaves a large field for creativity. Despite all the knobs, I find that there is not enough interactivity for quick changes. Or, work with the control software. But blah, only one mouse = only one click at a time.

The modular meets everything and more. Simple and terrrrrible question of choice and budget ...

Visualize the waves: I understand very well and totally agree with your answer. In music, no ear, no guide. No sensitivity, no way out. To hear the sound and to see the wave's evolutions, to morph, to vibrate, sometimes goes beyond the "toy". We say to ourselves: hey, I like this sound, but now I just see something that makes me understand why it starts to vibrate like that. Fun and informative.

Hearing the mixes of evolutive waves and syncopated rhythms (is that the right word?) in the beginning of Radio Activity, at 16, that I wondered what a great instrument generated such incredible sounds. ALL come from THIS piece! Two weeks ago, I was reading one of your threads with someone (a fictitious medicine ;) ) who was also starting with the modular. Long and rich exchanges. You have awakened this person. And with your personal background, let me: wow !! (I read and read it again).

Ok, I go to order modules (aaargh, my savings ..!). But what sound pleasures to come!

Thank you for everything, Lugia!

fullmazeSH