Hi, I am building my first Ambient rack, and I need advice please,
best
maybe maths ?

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Ramirez,

You got yourself some nice modules planned there. Pity I can't click on your rack, you didn't allow it (there is an option to blind-out the total price if that's your concern). From what I can see, it's a compact though quite complete system. The only thing I am missing (unless overlooked) are some envelopes, or did you include them?

If this would be my own rack, I would have a look into that Chord module from Qu-bit, can't you find another module that does something similar but is less large? It takes quite some of your rare rack space. Or consider another row for some more HPs...

I don't have myself a Maths yet but I only heard good things about it, so if you still have space left (do you?), perhaps yes.

You are using Rosie for your output module I see, I had tested that module at the shop nearby my home, it's a good module, though the outputs are 3.5 mm, not sure if that's an issue for you? If you need line outputs (6.3 mm) and go to an external mixer or something like that then you might perhaps want to consider another Audio I/O module? Examples (but not limited to) are: Befaco - Output, Happy Nerding - Out, Bastl Instruments - Ciao!, Intellijel - Audio I/O or if you rather like XLR in- & outputs: ACL - Audio Interface or Vermona - TAI-4. There are many more but these are the modules I keep an eye on. I just recently got the Intellijel - Audio I/O, it's a good module however I personally feel it could have done with a stereo output knob, it's sometimes difficult to get the left & right channels exactly the same, other than that the module is good.

Good luck with the planning and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Um, Chord v2?

Thanks very Much GarfieldModular, you're right ! Thank you very much for your advice for Rosa and also for the envelopes, It's true I need, would you recommend some envelope? in my modular planing the doepfer a 171-2, but maybe you have another idea ?

best regards and thanks ! > Hi Ramirez,

You got yourself some nice modules planned there. Pity I can't click on your rack, you didn't allow it (there is an option to blind-out the total price if that's your concern). From what I can see, it's a compact though quite complete system. The only thing I am missing (unless overlooked) are some envelopes, or did you include them?

If this would be my own rack, I would have a look into that Chord module from Qu-bit, can't you find another module that does something similar but is less large? It takes quite some of your rare rack space. Or consider another row for some more HPs...

I don't have myself a Maths yet but I only heard good things about it, so if you still have space left (do you?), perhaps yes.

You are using Rosie for your output module I see, I had tested that module at the shop nearby my home, it's a good module, though the outputs are 3.5 mm, not sure if that's an issue for you? If you need line outputs (6.3 mm) and go to an external mixer or something like that then you might perhaps want to consider another Audio I/O module? Examples (but not limited to) are: Befaco - Output, Happy Nerding - Out, Bastl Instruments - Ciao!, Intellijel - Audio I/O or if you rather like XLR in- & outputs: ACL - Audio Interface or Vermona - TAI-4. There are many more but these are the modules I keep an eye on. I just recently got the Intellijel - Audio I/O, it's a good module however I personally feel it could have done with a stereo output knob, it's sometimes difficult to get the left & right channels exactly the same, other than that the module is good.

Good luck with the planning and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi Ramirez,

Pfiew, that's a difficult question about recommending an envelope generator, there are so many. What you could consider is to start easy with one Doepfer A-140, it's effordable and I had tested it (together with quite a few other Doepfer modules) and it's a good module. I like the touch and feel of Doepfer modules, but that's of course a personal impression, Doepfer might not be everybody's cup of tea; but then again, that's applicable for every brand I guess :-)

Just start with one A-140 module, get some experience with that and if you feel you need another envelope then you still can consider another brand or just get a second A-140 module next to it.

A few more envelope generators I am keeping an eye on (but that doesn't mean other brands and types are not good or shouldn't be considered, it's just my personal opinion, so far, it might change over time too). Here some ideas and this is certainly not a complete list:

Doepfer A-135-4C, A-140, A-143-1, A-143-2
2hp - ADSR
ADDAC - 506 - VC Stochastic Function Generator
Erica Synths - Black Dual EG/LFO, HADSR EG, Black VC EG
Intellijel - Dual ADSR
Make Noise - Contour
Malekko - Quad Envelope
Pittsburgh Modular - ADSR Mk II
Qu-Bit - Countour
WMD - Multimode Envelope
Xaoc - Zadar

This is just a "small" and quick selection (my list is larger but it doesn't make sense to display that here) however there are so many more ADSR modules, you really have to look and decide for yourself what you need and want, it's close to impossible to give you here a good and correct advice; other than the option of perhaps start with a simple but good ADSR A-140 from Doepfer.

Kind regards, Garfield M.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Oh I forgot, the suggestion from richc90 to take the Chord v2 instead of Chord (v1) is a good suggestion, that would save you 14 HP, valuable space if you would ask me. Unless you have some good reasons to stick with the Chord (v1), I would reconsider that module to save space.

Filters? Where are they? Your missing filters unless I can't see them (can't access your rack, it's private).

As far as envelope generators:
Peaks
Disting Mk4
Ornaments & Crime
Have envelope generating possibilities. One or two EGs might be nice. Intellijel makes a useful dual envelope generator that I would recommend. I also have two Tip Top Z4000s that I like but aren't as easy to use as the Intellijel. You might also want to consider the Zadar if you want long, evolving envelopes... especially to modulate your filter... wherever that is. :)

thanks very much, Ronin1973, you have reason, need filters, I need to sell my Chord V1, thanks very much !

maybe you can access ?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view

Keep your Chords unless you really need the money for something else. Chances are you'll expand this rack in the future and the Chords module will be useful again. Don't sell anything unless you're sure you don't like it or won't need it in future.

The link that you just posted isn't valid.

Hey Ramirez! I’ve got two thoughts for you:

• I have Batumi and think it’s great, but one thing I’d like to pair it with is a slim, 4 channel simple attenuator. You could do this with your Doepfer quad vca, but I think that will be a valuable piece in your rack you’ll want to use for other things. Having a 4x channel attenuator for Batumi will be great because I’m sure you’ll want to constrict those lfo ranges more often than not.

• I think the Disting could be a good choice for such a small system as a Swiss Army knife. However, since I have one, I want to warn you that it’s a really frustrating interface (like, REALLY frustrating). I don’t like menu diving, but can deal with it if there screen is easy enough to read and things laid out systematically. Sadly, the Disting does neither of these things. You’ll always need the manual handy as your working with it, or get the iOS app “Modes” (a little cheatsheet for different modules). I’d still recommend it in your situation if you want to have tons of flexibility and want to explore many options in relation to your small setup, but if you’re thinking of a small handful of critical things you want out of it and if you hate me I diving as much as me, I’d really considering getting a couple small utility modules instead.

www.macromicromusic.com

Thanks Ronin1973, I don't understand the problem with the link, wait

ModularGrid Rack

I think this is ok, what do you think?

best

Ramirez: now I can see your case... awesome.

Macromicro has some sage advice that I can't disagree with. The Disting and most of ES's modules are a bit frustrating to work with live. The module is pretty powerful. But you'll have to commit your favorite functionality to memory if you're going to readily work with it. But for the price and HP... it offers a lot of value. I still hate the interface, though.

If you're willing to get into Intellijel cases, they offer a 104HP 4U case... one row of regular module space and one of Intellijel 1U. Intellijel makes a four channel module called a Quadratt. It's probably one of the best small mixers/attenuverters to have in your rack. If you're mixing a bunch of LFOs together, you'll want to attenuate and possibly invert the phase of some of your LFOs. The Quadratt will do you for that. Or you can use each channel individually.

Your other option is to use the built in mixing capabilities of your Maths module. Channel 1 and 4 have the slew rate limiters that you'll have to dial all the way down so they don't affect the inputs. Channels 2 and 3 are straight attenuverters. All four outputs will show up at the "sum" output. Just note that if you don't have anything plugged into a channel, it will add voltage to the sum based on where the gain knob is.