Hey all, so this is my planned rack in progress, upgrade from m32 and DFAM. I'm using an external Mackie 802 mixer for audio output from MI Veils and mixing, I feel the need to have an onboard oscilloscope to better learn what's going on.

ModularGrid Rack

Would anyone recommend to change anything? or anything to add for the possible 3rd 104hp row in the future?

Thanks in advance!

One thing I'd consider is that if you don't need the second Row Power 40, don't put it in. As long as your total current draw in the build is between 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the rated amperage of a single Row Power 40's rails, you'd probably be better off running the single power supply to both busboards. This also means there'll be less heat buildup in the case...and lots of heat + analog circuits = generally not so good, so if that's avoidable, definitely avoid it.

One thing I'd consider is that if you don't need the second Row Power 40, don't put it in. As long as your total current draw in the build is between 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the rated amperage of a single Row Power 40's rails, you'd probably be better off running the single power supply to both busboards. This also means there'll be less heat buildup in the case...and lots of heat + analog circuits = generally not so good, so if that's avoidable, definitely avoid it.
-- Lugia

Hi Lugia,

Thanks for your reply. That's definitely a thing, I also feel that the extra ROW power is not very efficient and it takes some hp space...but the reason for putting one for each row and not using busboards instead is because I'm using 2 Moog 104hp cases (got them 2nd hand on ebay), which basically only works using daisy-chained power modules to link them together :< I might consider upgrading to a proper suitcase-style case later.

Well, if that's the case, have a look at KOMA's Strom+ and Strom Passive instead. The active Strom+ supply gives you 1.5A @ +12V, 1A @ -12V, and 1.5A @ 5V, and then the Passive is simply a connector between the KOMA power jumper from the Strom+ and your busboard. So with that, you still only have one P/S generating heat; the skiff with the Passive doesn't have that issue. And then there's price: 2 x Row Power 40 = $310, this KOMA solution = $191. Cost-wise, much more effective.

Well, if that's the case, have a look at KOMA's Strom+ and Strom Passive instead. The active Strom+ supply gives you 1.5A @ +12V, 1A @ -12V, and 1.5A @ 5V, and then the Passive is simply a connector between the KOMA power jumper from the Strom+ and your busboard. So with that, you still only have one P/S generating heat; the skiff with the Passive doesn't have that issue. And then there's price: 2 x Row Power 40 = $310, this KOMA solution = $191. Cost-wise, much more effective.
-- Lugia

I just checked these KOMA module on their website, looks nice and definitely a better solution for the Moog cases..But since I already got the two ROW powers and I didn't seem to find any reseller for KOMA Storm+ in the UK, I might eventually upgrade to a proper powered-case later..

Apart from that, would you also recommend any module that's probably missing in my rack or could potentially add on it? Thanks.

Actually, you could possibly use some more VCAs...the Veils is obviously for the audio, but having a few more linear/DC-coupled ones for CV level modulation would be useful here since you've got an ample amount of modulation sources. Other than that, I'd reorder everything so that your power supplies aren't next to audio path modules...especially not next to the Ears, which stands the highest chance of susceptibility to noise/garbage.

Actually, you could possibly use some more VCAs...the Veils is obviously for the audio, but having a few more linear/DC-coupled ones for CV level modulation would be useful here since you've got an ample amount of modulation sources. Other than that, I'd reorder everything so that your power supplies aren't next to audio path modules...especially not next to the Ears, which stands the highest chance of susceptibility to noise/garbage.
-- Lugia

Hmmm.. originally I thought 2*104hp would be very much sufficient, but now I can see the 3rd row is alluring me...I was actually thinking to get a MI Blinds for the CV modulation, and perhaps some noise generators, more effects modules like the Erica Synths Black Hole DSP v2, the “everyone’s favourite” disting mk4.....(that’s half of the 3rd row already)

I never thought audio sources next to power supplies would cause noise, thanks for letting me know!