Jamming about this evening I realised, contrary to the conventional wisdom, that my setup needs more envelope generators.

Since single stage envelopes are good enough for my purposes, I first thought that Mutable Stages would be the most space efficient coming in a very reasonable 2.33 hp per envelope. But of course you can get an ADSR from 2hp (among others) which requires only 2hp.

Now Stages is certainly ergonomically superior to 6 x 2hp ADSR, and it has some different possibilities (notably not including being 6 ADSRs) but lets think only about density. Can 2hp be beaten? Is there a module on the market that packs in envelopes more densely than 2 hp/EG?

The Micro Ornament and Crime has 4 tweakable EGs plus a TON of other stuff in 8hp, but it's menu-divey so I'm not sure if it's the best option.

The Micro Ornament and Crime has 4 tweakable EGs plus a TON of other stuff in 8hp, but it's menu-divey so I'm not sure if it's the best option.
-- farkas

Good idea! The O&C does look like a cool module but I already have a Disting Mk4 and Pam's New Workout in the rack, and I think that is my limit of menu-divey modules.

Good idea! The O&C does look like a cool module but I already have a Disting Mk4 and Pam's New Workout in the rack, and I think that is my limit of menu-divey modules.
-- the-erc

Ha! That's pretty much where I've drawn the line with menu-divey modules too.

Hi The-Erc,

If you are willing to spend one-third of a HP per EG more, i.e. 2.67 HP/EG than consider the Triple AD from Hikari Instruments, I love that module. It can go from slow to fast ADs. If I remember well that if you don't use the first two ADs but only the third one (and you switch on both other unused ADs) those non-used-ADs are then normalised to the last AD; not 100% sure, since the manual is a bit limited but even using them as separate ADs, I love to use them, clear, easy, direct usages, 2.67hp/EG, what do you want more? ;-)

It might be a bit difficult to get one; I was lucky to get one during my last year's holiday in Japan.

Or, depending on how you are looking at it, the Doepfer - A-141-4 Quad ADSR; if you don't mind the same setting for all four ADSRs ;-) Then it's at 2 HP/EG. I know, this module is more meant for polyphonic approaches but you could misuse it, if you would like to :-)

Or the Erica Synths - Pico VC EG at 3 HP? If Pico modules is your cup of tea that is. It comes including loop functionality.
Or the Erica Synths - Pico Modulator at 3 HP which is an EG + VCA! So 1.5 HP per functionality ;-)

Then again, I think you shouldn't look too much into modules that deliver too much functionality on a too small HP surface, sooner or later that might go either on your nerves or if not at least in less comfortable user interface usage. Sometimes a single or a dual functionality on a full blown HP surface is still the best approach and gives you full functionality of everything you (might) need. Naturally, up to you to decide which way to go :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hey Garfield,
Unfortunately the Doepfer - A-141-4 is the opposite of what I need, which is lots of independent AR (or even just R) envelopes. On the other hand that Triple AD module is very interesting. I will keep my eyes open for it.

I'm also going to caution you on trying to get too much jammed into too small a space. Having a pile of two-stages in a smallish module IS DOABLE...but the ergonomics of dealing with the tight patching and controls will eventually wear on you.

Also, there's some larger multi-EG modules that REALLY blow the doors off. The Erogenous Tones Blip/Radar combo is pretty huge...36 hp, in fact. But you get eight EGs, complete chaining capability, plus the Blip allows some wilder functions...for example, envelope sequencing and a truckload of other complex functions that you'd NEVER get in a smaller module. Not in a million, billion years. Nope.

The proper solution isn't ALWAYS the small one.

Hi Lugia,

Yes, it's not ideal -- I have one module from 2hp and I'd prefer not to get any more because it's just too uncomfortable to use. I expect I will end up buying Stages because it ticks quite a lot of boxes for me, but I was hoping to learn if anyone had produced any clever solutions to my problem. Seems like the answer so far is "not exactly" although the Hikari Triple AD was a pretty cool discovery!

Incidentally the module (which I already have) that comes closest to what I want is Pique, 4hp version of Mutable Peaks. The cables are all together at the bottom out of the way, and the knobs are big enough, and you rarely have to press the tiny buttons. When I bought it, I thought it would do many jobs for me, but it's basically always used as two AR envelopes...

As for Blip/Radar : Woah.

Unfortunately the ergonomics of the rack are not the only ones in play : there is also the ergonomics of the rather small room I practice, record, and nowadays also work in. Maybe once I get my big house in the country, and I can dedicate an entire wall to modular like Hans Zimmer I can start thinking about 36hp modules -- but probably not before!