After years of utilizing hardware, soft synths, and messing around with VCV Rack I ponied up funds to build out a modest 104hp setup, primarily to accentuate and add character to dark ambient / drone noise that I create. I still use my laptop, external hardware, a midi controller and other interstitial devices like a Sony Watchman FD-20A 2" Analog CRT Television to create white noise. But what I thought would facilitate my needs is still lacking and I often end up pulling up a soft synth instead of patching out the sound I'm going for.

My current set up is below:
Pittsburgh Modular MIDI2
ALM Pamela's NEW Workout
Plaits
Piston Honda mkII
Intellijel Quad VCA
Make Noise Maths
Noise Engineering Desmodus Versio
Rossum Electro-Music Evolution
Erica Synths Pico OUT

I've got so many more questions than I'll bother any one with right now, but right off the bat, does anyone see glaring omissions and/or any additional modules necessary to get the most out of what I have, or do I just need to get off the computer and spend more time patching and experimenting -- I'm always doing the latter and spend probably 10+ hours a week messing about, which is why I'm reaching out to those who are far more knowledgeable and experienced.

Thank you all in advance!

ModularGrid Rack

How do you usually set this up? And what is unsatisfying about the results?

I would say that you should add (i) attenuverters (ii) CV mixer (iii) more VCAs. That said, I would expect that with Pam, Maths, and your MIDI controller you have enough modulation capabilities to do something interesting.

I would also recommend throwing your computer out the window, at least for while.

This seems to me to be yet another too-small case problem, in tandem with the absence of suitable utility-ish modules that can unleash the ones that are already here. the-erc's observations are pretty much spot on, therefore...but where would you put those in this? Plus, I'm of the opinion that you'd do better with a proper envelope generator for envelopes than simply using the Maths...to me, that's sort of like having a vintage Ferrari Dino that you only drive to the grocery store. Maths is capable of MUCH more as a complex modulation source than what it's apparently being tasked with here.

Not sure if I have much more to add beyond the-erc and Lugia, but my experience was that I mostly had to dedicate myself to the modular format. Aside from a few specific external hardware pieces (one polysynth and a drum machine), I got rid of just about every other piece of hardware that didn't interface well with my rack. And I didn't feel like I could quite accomplish what I was trying to do until I had about 9u/104hp full, but that's just me. I especially second the-erc's suggestion to avoid your computer for a while. I also agree with Lugia that Maths probably isn't the best option here. Maths can do a lot, and it has many disciples, but it's not the best option for every circumstance regardless of the hushed tones and legendary status it encourages. For your style of music, I would probably be more likely to recommend Zadar or Octasource and a bunch of utilities (aka "boring modules," switches, sample and hold, 3xMIA, Disting, etc.) to get the most out of what you do have.
Dedicate time to learning what your modular can and can't do, and invest wisely in expanding its capabilities. Sometimes the format just isn't a good fit so don't throw more money at it if it's not working for your workflow. Above all, have fun with it.

Thank you all so much. This is all really useful info!

the-erc: I have an 88 key M-audio controller going into my rack, I've also used an old MPC 2000 but didn't really get the same results I was going for. I've actually used these modules on two recordings so far, but I feel I've hit some limitations.

Lugia: I like giving myself obstructions and believed I could achieve what I want in 3u/104hp as I'm using a set up that involves additional components, eventually I'd like to only use my laptop to record into the DAW. But you're probably right on one or both accounts, replace Maths, fill that space with a proper envelope generator and get a bigger rack.

farkas: I had initially looked at the Zadar but went with Maths as it seems to be the go-to for most racks, but rewatching some videos I think your suggestions would definitely serve my needs better. In the end I'll likely purchase a larger case, it's inevitable. And I'll swap out Maths. Off topic/on topic re: popularity of modules that just didn't work for me, I had Clouds for a while but wasn't 100% happy with its sound. Either the used module I got was faulty or I couldn't figure out how to diminish its muddiness, for lack of a better word.

Lastly, if y'all are interested in checking out what i've done so far, the recordings are semi modular; I'd say 60/40 with the latter being guitar feedback, tape loops, synths and pedals, the link is here: https://andresanabria.bandcamp.com/

Again, thanks all.

Just listened through some of your excellent soundscapes. Nice work.
Yes, Clouds is another module that I have found to be less useful than its reputation suggests. I still have one but it's on my chopping block. I'm anxious to see if the new version fits my needs.

Yes, Clouds is another module that I have found to be less useful than its reputation suggests. I still have one but it's on my chopping block.
-- farkas

When I first got the Monsoon Clouds I didn't really get it, almost thought it was broken, its taken time but I now enjoy it for at least its lush reverb, but with reverb turned off is where it comes into its own, modulating it on at least 2 parameters at the same time with use of the Freeze Button and reverse grains there is much enjoyment to be hand. Brilliant Fun is the Transient Modules 7J Joystick to tweak Size and density, I could literally just wiggle the joystick for hours on the right patch.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I like giving myself obstructions and believed I could achieve what I want in 3u/104hp as I'm using a set up that involves additional components, eventually I'd like to only use my laptop to record into the DAW. But you're probably right on one or both accounts, replace Maths, fill that space with a proper envelope generator and get a bigger rack.
-- Excommunicate

I definitely understand the concept behind "deliberate limitation", but I think you'll find that the obstructions that will result in this circumstance are NOT helpful. For example, you mention wanting to record directly...and this IS possible with some of Expert Sleepers' modules, but the space limitation eliminates them from potential choices here.

Also, when I was talking about "replacing" Maths, I was referring to replacing it as a source for envelopes. Maths is STILL one of the cornerstone modulation sources in Eurorack, even with its 20 hp size. But what makes it amazing for modulation involves using it for quite a bit more than JUST envelope generation. Plus, you can tandem Maths with a lot of things, including other EGs; one neat combo that comes to mind is using it with an Intellijel Quadrax + the Qx expander. Loads of abuse potential there...