Thread: My A-100

Hey there. I'm very new to synthesizers and modular setups so this may sound like a very naive question because it is: how do you power this rack?

Noob question for you--how do you plan to power this bad boy?

Is something like this a little more practical for use with an external sequencer/controller?

ModularGrid Rack

Dude! THANK YOU. I don't know if you had the same experience I'm having when you first started, but I'm basically just watching a video and thinking "I like that. I want it." That's how I conceived this rack! Hence, the "ill-advised" tagline.

This was such a great response--thanks for being such a great ambassador to this community I'm joining! I will definitely check out the Tonestar. I will find out what a wavetable oscillator is and check out the ones you recommended. Your thoughts on Clouds made me laugh. With regards to actual modular, I feel like I'm still needing to shed some of my perspectives on synthesizers. I've always thought of them as the thing with knobs and a keyboard that has all the components to make sounds all in one package. You can probably see that coming through in this attempt at a rack.

I did also fail to mention that I'm getting a Beatstep and a Keystep to start. I'm much more interested in making sounds, learning how signal flow works in these things, and learning the theory behind the noises before stepping too deeply into sequencers. For me, I'm managing the amount of info I'm taking in because it can get overwhelming very quickly for me!

What is the HP width of a regular rack that houses my MOTU 828? I figured it was 84 because the enclosure I saw had the little ears on the sides for screwing them into a rack. I figured I'd have all that housed together.

Thanks again for the response. It gives me some more homework to do and I'm happy to do it. Cheers!

Hey all. I'm an absolute noob who just discovered modular synths a week ago. I have been not sleeping since then! I've watched a LOT of youtube videos and just discovered this site. Here are some of the modules I really liked in my short amount of research. What do you think--if I just want to play around, will this work? I have an 0-coast right now as my only piece of gear. My plan is to grab a Minitaur (for bass) and an Erebus (for pretty sounds) soon and this rack would just be for experimental noises. Am I very far off? Anything I need to research more?
Your personal experiences and ideas are super useful for me. Answers in the form of online resources are also appreciated. Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack