Yes I did get it. I’m loving the 101. Haven’t dove into the 102 just yet. BUT I must day, damn it’s fast. Way faster and easier then I could have ever imagined. So I am very much in love with it. But it is very deep and I know I’ve hardly tapped it for its full potential. But if you’re in the market for a sequencer and are looking for more complexity, I would definitely recommend the combo. :)

Well first of all you want to keep in mind that a case that small isn’t going to have that many power connections and you have like 16 modules. 2hp modules are great. Especially for the size. But you’re not gonna want to fill a whole case up with them.

As far as your question about buying modules on eBay when you see a good deal; I would say don’t. I don’t know what kind of music or sounds you’re looking to get out of your modular synth, but always keep that in mind. Also I would highly recommend buying a complete synth voice first. That way you can hear it, patch it, understand it better and really figure out where you want to go from there. That’s the best way to decide the next module or modules that you’re going to need.

(I had to learn this next one the hard way)

I would never recommend buying any modulars based on looks or hype unless you’re absolutely sure that it can help get you where you want to go. Or else you’re going to be selling it and losing money. Get modules based on what you ‘need’ or modules you think could really inspire or push your modular music further. My motto is that I like simpler modules. If it has a steep learning curve, then it has to be completely worth it to me or it’s a no go.

Anyways long story short. If you don’t know already, figure out exactly what you what want your modular to do at first and then expand from there. And do a lot of research. Like a shitload of research before diving in. It’s all very very worth it. But if you come into it unprepared, it can be a less the fun experience.

Can you share your rack that you’re wanting to put together?

Yes the EMW switch interface 1 is just about exactly what I was looking for! Thanks as always , Lugia.

I know it exist. It’s so basic that it has to.
I’m looking for a module with 4 or so inputs and 2 outputs for each inputs with a switch for each channel so I can send a voltage to either output 1 or output 2 depending on the position of the switch

So after a lot of thought, I finally ordered the ER 101/102 combo. I decided to go with the ER-101 because it can add more complexity and beautify to my sequences then just about any other eurorack sequencer that I know of. Should come in in another 3 weeks or so. I’m super excited but also super nervous about the learning curve.

I was hoping to get some in-site from other ER 101/102 owners on how you work with it? How is the work flow? Any tips or tricks you might have. I’ve already gone ahead and read the Manuel and I know my music theory knowledge with help a lot. But yeah any insite you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_813718.jpg

This is what I came up with without suggestions. I through Mixup in so I could get a stereo mixer for little HP. And ended up picking the Metropolis over the Rene and paired it with Shifty so I can sequence multiple voices. Am I making the right choice with this? Also ended up going with the Erb Verb. Am I missing anything? Anything else that would be beneficial to the synth?
Thanks. :)

Welcome :)

I am a bit of a beginner as well if I'm being completely honest. BUT if you don't know yet what you want your synth to do, I would say invest into a semi modular. That's what I did before I started filling a case. I went with a Mother32/0-Coast as my first synths. Going semi modular at first is a great choice if youre uncertain about anything. Diving straight into modular is confusing and expensive. But can be even more expensive if you dont know for absolutely sure what you need or where you're going with it. I regret nothing by going semi modular in the beginning. The Mother 32 is great for beginners. It can teach you so much about the building blocks of synthesis. And will teach you what you WILL need for basic building blocks for your modular. I learned the most just by repatching the Mother. But I do wish that I would have gone for the Mother32 and the DFAM. That things insane.

Anyways, yes. Go semi until you learn more and figure out what you want to do with your synth. Also I would highly recommend picking up a copy of the book Patch and Tweak. It will answer any questions you may have

First of all, this is not my first time posting in the forum. The First time was a few months back and I had no clue what I was doing. Since then I have really taken time and become more realistic and grasped an idea of what I want my modular to do. I have read Patch and Tweak, spent a lot of hours on the forums on here and on Muff. So I am coming back into this with a lot more knowledge. But still, so much to learn.

I am looking to make a generative melodic multi layer ambient(ish) synth. I have already dived in and bought the Intellijel 7u case, Maths, Rings, quad vca, 1u headphone jack, 1u audio I/o and 1u buffered mult. These are all working along side a Mother32 and a 0-Coast. Which I am having a blast with so far.

I have a few questions from here.
First. I have bounced between the Rene 2 and the Metropolis as my sequencer. I know I can use the Mother's sequencer but honestly to me I am not a big fan of it. I know I will be using it along side another sequencer though for basic sequences. To me, the Rene 2 seems better suited for what I am trying to achieve. BUT, there are a lot of things that I love about the Metropolis. It seems a bit more user friendly then the Rene. But of course Make Noise modules are always a bit daunting at first. My question would be; which one would I be better off going with? Which one would be more rewarding?
Second. I have a lot of clock sources and not enough voices picked out in my opinion. This is part of the reason I left a big blank space. I feel like I need at least one more. But this is why I'm here. To ask for advice from people the know much more then me on the matter.
Third. I am going to be in desperate need of effects (also why I left black space) I am really looking for delay/reverb modules that are the most bang for your HP. And also, I am curious if the Polaris is a good fit as a filter for my system.

That's pretty much it. If anyone can comment and help answer my questions that would be amazing. Also, I am open to any other comments on what I have sketched out so far. Anything else that I might me missing or haven't thought of yet. Any input would be very appreciated. I am very humble and am always looking to learn more.

Ronin; thank you for responding man. Sorry I didn’t upload it right so you could see everything that I had really sketched out. I’ll definitely look into that expert sleepers module and do some research on it. Thanks again man :)

Lugia; thank you as well for responding and being real with me about my choices.

I guess maybe I should clarify a few things from my initial post. I know I brought up Colin Benders and Steevio and said that I would like to be able to eventually do something like them. But I guess I really should have made that statement more clear. I don’t want to sound like anyone. That has always been my mission the 7 years that I’ve been producing music. I always strive so sound different and have my own style. I want everything that I make to show me. No somebody else. I used them as an example because I love listening to them and I really want to know how to achieve a similar work flow with my modular. I know those guys are like fucking geniuses when I come to this stuff and I can’t try to be like them. That would just be crazy.

As far as me producing in Ableton; I feel like in my 7 years with the software I have barely even scratched the surface of all of the quirks and features of Ableton. But when I got my M32 and 0-Coast, I fell in love with the anolog and modular world. The sounds and different ways to get sounds out of just those 2 semi modular units has brought more smiles to my face in the year that I have owned them, then creating inside Ableton and using plug ins and operators to creat sounds for the last 7 years ever has. I am in love and passionate about sound. That is why I have decided to pursue creating a Eurorack. For the pure pastion of sound. And the endless possibilities that come with Eurorack.

Finally, me submitting this forum is to gain knowledge from people like you and the other brilliant minds of this community. I learn the most when I talk to people that know much more then me on a subject. And I understand that it’s expensive. And very complex and complicated. But that’s why I am here. To learn :) No one can scare me away from pursuing this. But I will need help and gidence to get me going in the right direction. Thank you for your help this far. It has opened my eyes to a lot of my choices thus far. If you can help out any more or give any more suggestions to me now that I have clarified my ententions, that would be amazing.

Thanks so much.

not sure why its not showing all of the modules in the forum. :( but just click the rack and it was show everything I had selected so far.

Hello. :)

okay well to start, I have had a love for analog and especially modular synths for a while now. about a year ago I decided to purchase the mother 32 and 0-coast to start my modular journey. as these are two great platforms to learn from. now I am on the move to start my eurorack.

1. what I'm hoping to achieve with my eurorack

first of all I'm a huge lover of techno and house music and have been producing for about 7 years now in Ableton. I want to make more organic and raw sounds. thats one reason I love eurorack so much. so thats a big thing I am wanting to achieve with my eurorack. integrate it into my production set up and rely on modules making up about 80% of my tracks.

second, I want to be able to make an entire song with my eurorack.similar to Colin benders or steevio. obviously not as amazing as them though and with a smaller set up. I am going to add in a DFAM more them likely in the future for my drums as well.

third, I am wanting it to also be able to be a bit of an ambient monster for days I just want to relax and listen. hints the clouds module and the rainmaker.

finally, I am wanting to add two more rows far in to the future for more of a live set up.

1. the case I am going with

I have decided to go with the intellijel 7u case because I love the for factor, the fact that you can put the top on while its patched, and the audio ins and outs on the case as well as the midi ins and outs.

I am basically a beginner in all of this so I need as much help as I can get on this journey. and I know how close nit and passionate the modular community is. I really want to know what I am going to need to make what I am wanting out of my eurorack possible. maybe tell me things that I have in my sketch that I don't need or that don't make any sense. things that I don't have that I should add. and modules that I don't know about that may help me achieve all of the things I want to do.

any advice I can get will be amazing.