Thank you for this detailed view on modulation. I will take into consideration to ease out some voices. My goal is to build a machine that allows some subtle modulation but more hands on groove capabilities. This means turning voices on/off, mixing FX in out quickly and changing patterns on the fly. I could boil it down to Kick, Hi-Hat, Clap or Snare and another Voice for Bleeps and Blops. Are you guys planning to post some let's say basic setups that newbies like me can build on? Just to get a feel for good balance, good basic modules to start with. Can be small. Thanks again for sharing and caring.

Thank You Jim for your time. I will take your suggestions into consideration. Especially the Tesseract combination looks very interesting. Yes, the choice of voices is quite custom – but hey it is modular so I can change them any time ;)

I started tracking my use of knobs on each module during a performance. I want to get a better feel for balance of ergonomics versus flexibility that is really needed. Do I really need to (de)tune my drums all the time or is it just about fiddling on the decays? And can this be done via a single CV controller? I will split / ditch the sequencing probably into smaller parts or use external devices for that. That also means I will miss using accents on the Ericas. Maybe someone has experienced the same challenges? What is your take on using a B.Percall and utilities instead?

What is your opinion about great modulation sources? Is it better to have many sources or many combined? Should I focus on the Ericas modulator with great ergonomics but only two sources? What about Stages Mutable instruments or Intellijel Quadrax with more value for each hp. Or just go super small with a lot of Pico EG from Erica Synths or Doepfers? I love the richness and flexibility of PAM but in my experience this module requires a bit of menu diving and I am mostly using it for keeping the rack in sync. Speaking about utilities what is the ratio for each modulation source? Or how many LINKs and KINGs?

Thank You

Added my first rack idea:
ModularGrid Rack

Basic thoughts on it:
– Already own the case, Hi-HatD, Clap, SY-05, Pam, a Novation Peak and an Erica Bassline DB01
– Create drums with Maths, BlackVCO, Quartet, + add some punch by LedRover
– Record or enrich with own samples using Sample Drum
– I will do muting/unmuting on the tracks through the sequencer for now
– EQ will be done in the DAW. Alternative on my external mixer replacing the ES-8 with an Erica Link.
– The overseer works as a kind of DJ mixer for transitions, might be replaced with FX when mixing externally
– I want to have a Lapsus OS to manually control to open, close CV Aux (FX Aid) of the WMD Mixer which has very tiny knobs.

Do you have better ideas to replace the Drum Sequencer as it uses a lot of space?
Is anything missing? Should I ditch another voice and add more utilities?
I tried to replace the WMD Mixer but it is very hard to build finding an alternative for AUX chain with CV control on it.

ModularGrid Rack

Dear community,
I started with Erica's Techno System in mind. Revisited from today's available standpoint of choice of modules see my build below...
Basic idea is to create a simple groove box with some sound variety on it.

Thank You for your help.
Peace

@GarfieldModular
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Really helps a lot. I will have a look at those you mentioned. I am guessing the WMD is a good choice for me now to control drums and use 2 send/returns for better live performance noodling.

@sacguy71
Will have a look at the Axxent mod and the Eloquencer. I am sure there will be more expander solutions in the nearby future. Thanks for sharing your experience here.

If there is anyone else who has using an external device for sequencing modular please let me know your experiences. Would really help to make a final decision.

@sacguy71
Thanks that are quite some good tips. Pamela seems a rack-must have, as it is quite popular. The sequencers you recommending are quite advanced. Did you try out some rack space friendlier sequencers that offer quantisation + randomisation and scales (e.g. Scales from Intellijel)? For drum sequencing how important is accent for you? (e.g. Erica Drums have it but I could not find other sequencers that have this besides trig).

@Garfieldmodular
Ok, I understand. I checked the Five12 handbook already. Very deep functionality indeed. I had a bit the feeling that there is a lot of menu diving, but you already mentioned it isn't. What do you mean when you are saying you are preferring the "sequence-on-rack solution" among external gear? Is it about the distance or switching between devices or more a philosophic question?

I tried Elektron machines as well, but I am not fast enough on them to keep my musical rhythm flowing.

How many voices do you have usually running at the same time on your sequencer? Did you consider/trying the concept of a small sequence module per voice instead the all in one solution? As you have been researching a lot, can you please name a few sequencers you tried out and what you did not like about them? I would like to understand a bit why you ended up with the Five12.

Enjoy your weekend.

👋 Hey thank you. These are quite some very compelling lists not just for sequencing. Great work!

Can you let me know why you opt in for an ER sequencer instead external with MIDI > CV? I am thinking about using my Circuits which I find quite intuitive to use. They also allow MiDi parameter recording and I would free up some space on my rack. Same probably goes for sampling and mixing using external gear. ✌🏻

Hello,
I am struggling a bit with a good workflow to sequence modular.

What is your experience? What do you own? How is the setup / workflow. Why?
- How you use it
- Sequencing Melodies versus Drums
- Sequencing on rack versus MiDi / DAW
- Recording and recalling CV param.
- If you have any opinion about a specific device or Brand
- also what did not work for you and why?

🙏🏻 Thank You

Hey folks,
what's up? Also: What is your favorite module combos. And why?
Suggested Format:

1. Modules name + Function (e.g. Erica BBD Delay)
  2. How you use them (e.g. LFO > BBD > Drum)
  3. What you like about this combo
  4. Things to keep in mind.

Happy nerding and thank you for your support.