Thank you very much. Agree about the reverb in a tank! :-D)))))
Anyway, in this topic we're talkin'about "dark ambient".
Obvioulsy everybody can play every genres in all the way he/she like, of course.
And if somebody want to do it, with modesty I suggested to focus the resources to a Morphagene or Nebula 2 (or both) and pedal interface as primarly (and pedals of course, digital stereo reverb as first). Also considering a quad LFO, a multimode VCF and the more possible VCA/mixer you can take.
Instead of waste your bucks to sequencers, envelopers, oscillators and clocks you don't need.
With respect, I read Pamela NW and René, what are they for dark-ambient?
Probably someone are convinced that's sh*t like Board of Canada or Aphex Twin....
Just my 2 cents.

refuse-resist

Searching for albums by Lustmord, Lull, New Risen Throne, Deathwalk, Svartsinn, Nordvargr (Pyrrula album), Vestigial, Inade, Apocryphos, Kammarheit/Cities Last Broadcast, all about the Cyclic Law and Cryo Chamber labels and also the "this is darkness" webzine (here you can find a very interesting topic just about the most personal equipments of various musicians of this genre).
If you mean myself stuff, there are not so much things because I was very discontinued for various personal issues and currently I no longer deal with music. Hope it will be useful for you. Best regards.

refuse-resist

In my modest opinion....

Do you mind me asking what attracts you to this genre?

-- gumbo23

No problem. But my reply was gone off topic maybe... This thread is about to evolve the personal modular setup of the post author into a dark ambient direction and I replied that the large part of the dark ambient musicians plays softwares and not modular gears, except someone of course. Ad also I think it's more better going to sampler and effect gears too, instead of sequencers and/or rhythmic based modules that they don't make so much sense to this scope, because this is a music genre totally based to evocative obscure atmospheres, then rumbles, sinister field recordings, atonals, whispers, voices, disturbant noises, orchestral and choir sequences, and of course dark drones that give the sensation of a large disquiet space. And personally I like very much all of them.

refuse-resist

In my modest opinion, dark ambient started with the "Heresy" album by Lustmord and the rest of his production from there. Also Mick Harris Lull project and all the scandinavian monikers like Svartsinn, Kammarheit, Deathwalk, several Nordvargr albums and many more, passing to an enormous worldwide network artists. But I forgot someones for sure.
As sounds, dark ambient is based to obscure atmospheres with dark drones as portant base (bass sound rumbles generated to low frequency sounds, amplified by lush reverb and slow delay and also to audio impulses like sinister noises, breathing voices, disturbant field recordings and many more.
In this sense, I think the sampler is more useful then any intricated enveloped modular synth patches.
Regular ambient I presume it goes to a more "new age" direction.
Not starting a flame war but this is just my personal opinion.
Please, apologize me for my bad english and because I was been verbose.

refuse-resist

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2258232.jpg

Hi all !

Sorry for my bad english. With respect, I'm very.interested to this topic because I like dark.ambient.
First, please consider the large part of dark ambient musicians plays with software. Never seen one of them plays with modular synths (maybe Nordvargr with his Serge synth). Anyway, I suggest you don't waste your time and money with René, sequencers, envelopers and any rhythmically-based gears. Go straight to 3 units:
sampler,
effects (reverb, delay),
LFO.
First of all, Morphagene, if you can afford it. Dark ambient is based to sampling. From the field recording sessions to the minimalistic details.
Also, you need effects of course, in particular reverb and delay (and a bit of distortion too). Eurorack effect modules costs very much but you can solve better with a pedal interface module, like ADDAC 200PI, to connect pedals and stompboxes that you can manipulate in real time. In my modest opinion, reverb pedals like DBA Rooms, Strymon xSky, Eventide and the more cheaper Walrus, Blackhole, Boss, all of them give you more better performance then all the various eurorack pumped monikers.
LFO. You can go with every module you want, you have Batumi and it's perfect.
These are the fundamental ones you need.
About all the rest (more sound sources and modulations) you can go with everything you want.
Hope it could be useful.

refuse-resist

Well, I don't why I'm involved to this Ziqal Wavetable Oscillator issue, I never had, never bought, never nothing about it.

refuse-resist

Not a perfect module for me. With CV inputs on top, cables are on the screen and the knobs below.
I prefer buying a second FX AID XL.
-- Jihel
Never had cables over the display.

refuse-resist

It seems to me very interesting.

refuse-resist

It's 10. My hp measuring eyes tells me.
-- KNYST
OK. Thanks.

refuse-resist

Sorry, is it 8hp or 10hp? At the Erica Synths website is described as 8hp. Some shop in my country too. I'm really interested about the combo Black HADSR+Expander. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/discontinued/black-cv-expander/

refuse-resist