Using an external drum machine is good idea as way less expensive than modular drums. I like the Elektron Rytm and Jomox Alphabase drum machines.
-- sacguy71

Yep, that's what I have come to realize. I might consider drum module options for a future build, but it will be much further down the line. I just need to get started down the modular path, and develop a strong workflow. After I completely fill up the first case with actual purchases, I plan to focus on a dedicated sequencer case with Doepfer A-155 and A-154 modules. The said combo looks extremely interesting for Techno-based music.

After additional iterations, I took the initial advice of using an external drum machine. Therefore, I removed the Blck_Noir and Erica Synth Drum Sampler. I will own Blck_Noir day, but it will unfortunately not included in my first modular system build. I also kept the TipTop effects in the case to prevent or limit the use of an external effect units and pedals. Below are the new modifications:

ModularGrid Rack

I plan to run the WMD Performance Mixer's main output to the stereo external inputs of either the Native Instruments Maschine+, Pioneer DJ SP-16, Roland MC-707, or Roland TR-8S. Since I already own all four, at least one of them can provide the drums and, if needed, additional sounds.

The overall setup should be rather compact unlike my present studio setup with multiple individual synths.

Thanks for the help!

Sure...just click on my version, then use the "copy rack" function at the top to copy it to your account's builds. And yeah, the way this is set up now makes it much easier to build each subsection individually. My suggestion for starting would be to get the top row and the Performance Mixer, plus one or two of the modulation sources and the Tenderfoot attenuverters. From that, you'll start to get a sense of the raw power that I've hidden in this...this build ain't no joke! Rather, it's a "system core" from which you can expand outwards, with ample capabilities for just that.
-- Lugia

Nice. The performance mixer is definitely a big improvement, and I was strongly considering its addition. The rack is copied over to my account.

I am pretty excited as a modular setup was something I have considered for over 18 months, and will provide me with a specialized setup for Techno music. In addition, I will be able to reclaim a lot of studio space. I presently own close to 30 synths and 10 drum machiness/grooveboxes, but only keep a limited amount setup in the studio. Nevertheless, it still clutters my studio more than I prefer, and it could use some improvements for Techno music. The other genres of music that I create are vocal based, and are generally better suited for in-the-box music production. A eurorack makes a lot of sense for my situation.

Thank you so much, Lugia!

I knew some items were out of place, and needed to be rearranged or modified. The shown example definitely helps, and it is copied it to my own account. I plan to purchase the first group of modules tomorrow to consume about 270hp in total of the EP-420's full capacity.

Thank you again everyone for the feedback. It is truly appreciated.

Big changes has been made! After much thought, additional research, and budget considerations, the eurorack case has officially been upgraded from the Pittsburgh Structure EP-270 to the EP-420. Below is the present goal to fill in the said eurorack case:

ModularGrid Rack

Feedback is definitely welcomed.

Although I want nothing more than to purchase everything now, I will probably only invest up to $5.0k to 6.5k initially to get started, and confirm or modify the remainder of the purchasing decisions over the next year. The modular system will be triggered via an Arturia Keystep Pro (and two additional Beatstep Pros and two Keysteps, if needed), and passed through an external mixing board for additional processing. However, I plan to eventually consider a separate eurorack case with specialized sequencers and mixers later.

My final goal is to have a self contained 4-voice and 8-drum modular groovebox. I am also considering an Elektron Analog Four MKII and Elektron Analog Rytm MKII combo as an alternative to the proposed modular system. Although far more expensive and less convenient, as an electrical engineer and musician, a modular system has truly captured my interest for quite some time, and I do not want to regret not diving in 100% to verify whether or not it inspires and assists me to achieve my music creative goals.

In addition, I also have a Roland System-1m, Arturia MiniBrute 2, and two Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1s available for additional modular synth devices to integrate in the future. Also,the Roland TR-8S, Pioneer DJ SP-16, and Arturia DrumBrute can also be used for more drum sources later on as well.

Happy holidays and thank you for the detailed feedback, Farkas and Lugia!

I will definitely think things over, and make some modifications. One of my goals of moving to a modular setup was to have most items contained in the eurorack case, whether its the EP-270 or a larger option. However, that was probably not possibly in the long term, as I would eventually like to incorporate my Roland SYSTEM-1m and Arturia MiniBrute 2 into the setup as well. With that said, I will definitely consider keeping the drums and synths out of the rack.

I must admit that the EP-270 is smaller than I had anticipated once I started adding modules. I will more than likely move up to the EP-420, and fill it in over time.

In regards to the Blck_Noir vs. RD-8, I actually owned an RD-8 and sold it, due to having the 808 sounds covered with the Roland TR-8S and, via samples, Pioneer DJ SP-16. The Blck_Noir was selected to obtain sounds different than the typical 808 and 909, or any other drum machine option I have available in my studio.

I will post an update over the coming days.

Hello everyone,

I am presently deciding whether or not to start a modular setup with a Pittsburgh Modular EP-270 case. I already have an Arturia Keystep Pro for sequencing drums and synths. In addition, I own two Pittsburgh Modular Lifeform SV-1 blackboxes, and will install the contained synth modules.

Overall, this modular setup will be used for minimal Detroit Techno, and based on the concept of two synths, 8 drum drum voices, and basic effects. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack