So, I created two racks with a matrix mixer inside.
In the first I swapped Brains with an original Plaits to gain 4HP.
Here I use the Bear Modules Matrix Mixer.
ModularGrid Rack
In the second one I keep the Brains (I like the display) and go with an AI Synthesis AI008 Matrix Mixer,
which I think should be ok for my little case. So I would prefer the second option.
I like to keep the Black Stereo Mixer because I love it :)
ModularGrid Rack

For 'experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff' you will need many modulations. In a small case, DivKid Ochd (8 Lfos in 4HP) is worth considering.

The Ochd is great and on my wishlist ;) Waiting for some second hand one popping up.

I looked up a few matrix mixers now. From the looks and build quality i would prefer the Doepfer A-138m, but it's quite huge in 20HP. The next ones are the Bear Modules Matrix with 14HP and the AI Synthesis AI008 in 10HP but "only" 4 in 3 mixer with a seperate sum output.
From those three i would say the Bear Matrix is the best option, but than i'd have to swap my Black Stereo Mixer with a A-138s, which i think is too small. The AI008 looks a bit confusing from the layout to me...

Thank you very much for the quick response

but you won't fit that in until you realise you need another case... (note I'm not telling you to get a another/bigger case)

This made me smile, but of course you are right.

otherwise reasonably balanced

I am glad to hear that, seems that my long studies on here are showing effect ;)
A matrix mixer seems very interesting, but do you think of mixing cv's or also audio ? Should i toss the Erica Synths Stereo Mixer out, too ? Than i could put in a Doepfer A-138m, or are there better (smaller) matrix mixers out there ?
I think with a matrix mixer i can toss out the A-183-1 Dual Attenuator, 4HP more space available, or keep it ?
The Happy Nerding FX Aid looks great, too. It can do multiple effects simultaneously, or not ? But it's hard to come by used, and new fairly expensive. I'll think it over.

Hi to all !
I like to get a few opinions from the experts here.
I mainly focusing on experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff, sometimes with fieldrecordings and different sample material. I really like what AnnAnnie does and the wierd experimental stuff from Gazonbalon.
My main engine in the rack clearly is Marbles, with multed out triggers to the A-160-2 clock divider which than spread over.
Peaks is mostly in drum mode and the Sample Drum is used for fieldrecording samples and pad/drone/melodic stuff.
I have an SQ-1 and an QuNexus on duty, too. I am surely only at the beginning and need to find my own way and workflow and have a lot to learn. But it is only a hobby for me and i wouldn't call me a musician, just an musically interested nerd ;)
I would really appreciate some suggestions and tips to my rack, especially redundant/overlapping modules, missing things and essential things to change. But please don't tell me to expand my rack ;)
ModularGrid Rack

Hi to All !

Please give me some suggestions to my rack. Which modules are obsolete and should be exchanged ?
I like to go deeper in the generative direction. I have a Behringer Crave on preorder,
that would expand my possibilities in the near future. Beside that i have an SQ1, a Volca Beats for drums and
a Zoom MS-70. A Takaab Dual LPG is on the way.

Best regards,
Frank