Thread: RNDSynth

I think I've found a good solution for me in the Toraiz Squid now. It creates fully random patterns/velocities/pitches and is plug&play with all my other hardware.

I basically need a device that let's me create melodies without me having to have an idea about the melody first. And I need something that doesn't play like a piano or whatever.

I've watched tons of videos about the Varigate 4+ and it does what I want. The Conductive Labs NDLR would be great and maybe even better, but I can't buy it anywhere.

The Squarp Pyramid is a nice device, but again I have to punch in every single note for every step and then start playing around for each step. I can do all of these things with my current devices allready, as they all have 16step sequencers integrated.

At the moment I use Ableton and some Max-Plugins to create random melodies that I then feed into my Models:Samples or Cycles, but I would like something that doesn't require my PC. I've looked for standalone random melody boxes, that could simply send a midi-signal into my Model:Samples or Cycles, but such a thing does'nt exist.
-- jrs77

Sure it does: https://conductivelabs.com/ It's capable of that and a lot more besides; I have and use one myself.

-- Lugia

Projects like these I've found others aswell, but none of them are comercially available products, so I can't buy one of them. The newest of these interesting projects is the Torso T-1, but it's aswell only a kickstarter project so far.

At the moment I use Max-Plugins in Ableton that create random patterns with a single mouse click (note, pitch and velocity), which I then modify to my liking and feed into my Model:Samples or Cycles through USB/Midi.
A standalone midi-device of this nature doesn't exist as far as I know, so I'm looking for the next best thing, which is something like the Varigate 4+, where I can simply play around with the sliders to create a "random melody".

Using the probability function and conditinal triggers doesn't help me that much, as I still need to first program note/pitch/velocity for each step on my Model:Samples or Cycles, beforehand.

So yeah, what I'm looking for is something that puts out random patterns/melodies within seconds of pressing a few knobs or pushing some sliders around, like on the Varigate 4+.

Hi. Thanks for the answers.

At the moment I use Ableton and some Max-Plugins to create random melodies that I then feed into my Models:Samples or Cycles, but I would like something that doesn't require my PC. I've looked for standalone random melody boxes, that could simply send a midi-signal into my Model:Samples or Cycles, but such a thing does'nt exist.

I specifically look for something that can create random melodies on the fly by simply turning a few knobs or pushing a few sliders around, without having to program every note into the stepsequencer beforehand. That's why I like the idea of the Varigate 4+.
The Manther Growl is just the synth I chose for now, because it sounds nice, but I might add other synth-modules later on.

So my initial question still stands, if this setup would allow me to do what I intend.

Hello there. I found interest in modular synths due to the fact that I could'nt find anything that would allow me to create rather random melodies. so I came up with the idea of a small modular synth that I can pair with my stuff from Elektron.

I don't know if I'd actually need the SYNC module, or if I could just send the clock from my Model:Samples or Cycles into the CLK IN of the Varigate. Also I'm not sure if I'd be able to get sound out of this system with my chosen modules, as I don't see how the Manther Growl would connect to the intellijel Outs.

Basically I want to use the external clock from my Model:Samples or Cycles to set the tempo and then have the Varigate 4+ to control the Manther Growl. The sound would then need to go into my mixer.

Any help is apreciated.