-- Lugia

Thank you so much for helping!
In where I live, I already have a lot of trouble finding modules, cases, and any things related. Any things I can find will alway be behringer. I will have to find modules in other countries market, which will be difficult and expensive. So this is gonna be a long long way.
Therefore, I want to collect a basic set up so I can learn for a year or two before making any further step. Thank a lot for your efforts. It will take me a long time to fill that 9U 84hp case.

Do you know anywhere that I can find documents about Ambient music and composing? I want to read that while learning my modular too.
I will be back here for more informations, advices, ideas and visions.
Thank all you kindly people that helping me out!

Depends partly on what music you're doing and whether you need to work fast (as in live gigging) or not (studio work). If the former, you might benefit from some single-module voices. But if the rig is only going to see studio work, I'd suggest going with the individual module plan. Also, if doing music with complex sonic elements, individual modules give you the flexibility needed for that...such as for immersive ambient. But if you're aiming for a techno/EDM-type direction, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make your "bleep" and "bass" voices be single module voices.

-- Lugia

Thank you for your advice!
I still have a lot to learn so it is better to go for some basic modules for the learning path. I will do more research and if I like any synth voice module I will add it on the second row later.
Please check my set up again! Do you think it is a good starting point? Does the addition of attenuverter, filter, VCA, and Maths make it usable?
I need some honest advices to help build up my first row from those Doepfer modules.
Thank you so much!

-- jb61264

-- toodee

-- Ronin1973

-- T0MMI001

Thank you for all your helps!
I will learn some basic knowledge and then expand my system slowly. I will need your helps in the future!
Another question: Which do you think is better? A synth voice module or a bunch of modules to complete a synth voice?

Designing your own system is awesome. But that might be a bit much for someone who doesn't have any hands on experience in modular. No one starts out knowing what they are doing... only assuming that they know.

Make Noise and Roland have some nice preconfigured systems.

The 500 series from Roland is pretty much a classic modular system in Eurorack. You can't go wrong there.
Make Noise has a few contemporary preconfigured systems that incorporate digital modules.

Behringer just came out with their own preconfigured systems as well. I don't think you can go wrong there either. Behringer is notorious, though.

-- Ronin1973

Thank for your advice!
Maybe I will start with those Doepfer modules. After adding a filter,vca, attenuverter, would it be a usable synth voice?
I would like to learn about the signal flow, and then the modulation, effects,... Where could I read more about it? Is there any threads that will help with basic knowledge?

Thank you for all your helps!

What I recommend is a Doepfer A100 Basic System.

I think I will start off with some Doepfer modules to get some basic learning and ideas. I will also have to learn more about vcas and utilities to help building up this system through time.
For more deeper learning, I will definitely get a Maths for sure.
What are your thoughts about the Beatstep Pro? Is it a good sequencer to control my modular system since I dont want to use the computer to control the system?

Or you could queue up and get one of Uli's ARP 2600 clones.

Sure that the ARP 2600 is a sexy synth. Do you refer to use it as a standalone synth or to interacting with your modular system?

Thank you for all your honest opinions. Im just looking on a good deal on a Doepfer system with some basic modules, so I want to plan a system on this forum to get ideas and vision for the long way. I will also have to learn more about utilities and vcas. I will have to build up this system slowly, and maybe ideas will changes over time. Im just glad to plan a system on here, reading modules, and interacting with this nice community. Thank you so much!

however mostly when I think of ambient I think of delays and reverbs, vcas and sample and hold and to some extent granular - not really enough of these - unless you are intending to use the distings for this - in which case while disting is an excellent module - get dedicated ones of these - multiples in fact

What can I use the distings for this case?

what you have in actual modules is nowhere near being suitable as a synth voice.

Which modules should I go for to complete a synth voice with my basic modules?

And what are your thoughts on Behringer modules?
Thank you for your advices!

Hello Modular Grid community,
Im a beginner learning to get into this Modular world and I need some advices.
Does this system make sense? What do I have? What do I miss? And is this good for ambient setup?

alt text