Does anyone know if the Current Draw on the CalSynth Rand is the same as the original Marbles? The data is currently blank on the Module's page.

thanks

One thing that I find helpful is to create a set of rules, instructions and restrictions and then randomly choose one before beginning a patch. You can sit down, write out a list, number each, then use a random number generator online to select one (or you could create a set of cards with 1 rule on each card, then just pick a card).

I find that doing this I've created many interesting patches that I would not have created otherwise.

I actually created an Excel worksheet with all these rules and use the random function to generate new rules each time I feel stuck or just feel like trying something new. I put together about 60 possible rules (examples: use filtered noise as a sound source, use a function generator, modulate a vca with a slow changing CV, use 2 different utility modules, , etc., etc...) .

I even have the worksheet randomly generate the cable combo to start my patch with (example: start with 4 long, 2 short and 3 medium cables).

I also always remove all cables when done so I start from scratch each day I use my synth.

I went ahead and took the advice on the Mantis and picked up one last week in black. I also added more utilities as you can see, the quad lfo, dual vca, a mixer, triplatt and the noise source, oh and the FEG (which is a really nice looping ADSR). And I splurged on the Data. I'm not going to add any more modules in the near future as I want to spend time using the ones I have and learning more about each. After that I have 64hp left. I don't plan on adding any more of the 4hp slim line modules as they are not as easy to use as the larger modules. Having these slim modules seems to work when they are space out, but definitely not right next to each other as knob turning then becomes a real challenge.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

@adaris Thanks, I think I'll go without the extra power for now since I'm planning to get the Mantis next month. Building my first rack has been a real learning experience.

I think I may have found the answer to my question. I just noticed that the $25 adapter is only 1000mA and the total of my rack as per MG is 1040mA.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Mantis case next month so hopefully that case will have more power for each of the 104hp rows than my current setup.

Hi All,

I just got the Mordax Data today and added it to my current 104hp rack with a Tiptop uZeus. When I powered it on I noticed the -12v LED was no longer lit on the uZeus. Looking at the total Power Consumption I figured I was ok as the totals are less than the specs on the uZeus (2000mA at +12V, 500mA at -12V, 170mA at +5V). Note that I have a regular $25 Tiptop wall wart.

So I unplugged the Mordax and the -12v LED went back on so my assumption is that I'm overloading the power supply. I then experimented a bit by removing different modules and I was able to get the set up to work as long as I removed the B-140 envelope module.

Are there any users who have more experience with power usage that can explain why the uZeus is unable to power the set up I have shown?

thanks for your help

I'm looking to add a headphone output to my Eurorack as I'm currently just using a headphone attenuator to bring down the output to a level that I can use headphones with. It works ok but it is not a very elegant solution and it seems to crackle whenever I move the headphone cord.

Either the Pico OUT or the ALM HPO are on my list of possible options as each is only 3hp or 2hp. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these 2 modules and what your thoughts are? My only concern is that they may not have a wide volume range when used with headphones. I'd like to be able to listen at relatively moderate volume levels and I don't want a module that outputs just loud, very loud and super loud.

Note I read one online review of the HPO that said "that only about a quarter turn of the volume knob is needed to achieve ear-shattering volumes" which is why I'm hoping someone on this forum has real world experience with either of these 2 modules and can comment.

Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestions.

At this time I'm restricting myself to the 104hp (for space and budget reasons) but maybe in the future will expand to a 2nd row of 104hp.

@Lugia Sounds like utilities/modulations sources are the way to go with the limited space I have. When I first saw you recommended After Later DVCA I was a bit surprised as I already have the Quad VCA. But just last night I noticed I was using all 4 VCAs and now see how the additional 2 on the DVCA would be useful.

re: the 4ms Listen I/O, this looks useful but I probably will not use the input as the only thing I really use my rack with is the sq-1 or a Neutron. But I like the output as I use headphones so I'm considering the PICO output as it is only 3hp and has the output which I could use if I ever decide to record anything. Right now I'm just using a cheap headphone attenuator plugged into my VCA with my headphones.

2 other utilities I am considering along with what you have suggested are the Intellijel Triplatt and the Happy Nerding 3x MIA (although I can't find that one on sale anywhere).

Oh and I forgot to mention I do have a Korg nts-1 so I think I can use that for reverb/delay etc...

@33PO Marbles looks interesting and I'd consider adding that but at 18hp for the one module I think I'll need to wait until I have another row of rack space to add that one. I've looked at Pamela's New Workout and see that people highly recommend it, but I am trying to avoid menu driving which is why I'm not really looking at the disting mk4 either.

thanks again everyone!

Hi All,

I recently put together a Eurorack using a Moog 104 case and I have 18 hp left. I was wondering what others would suggest I use that remaining space for.

I'm primarily interested in generative sounds, ambient soundscapes and rhythmical noise.

What are some of the modules that others would add to what I already have knowing that the limitation is only 18 hp?

Note that I have a Korg sq-1 so I don't need a sequencer in my rack. Also note that I don't actually have the Dixie VCO yet but plan to get in next month. It would replace the Behringer 110 to free up some space.

Thanks for any suggestions!