I understand. Well, the builds looks amazing, and it was really nice to get feedback from experienced people. I didnt expect anyone to care to answer, but the response was way beyond my expectations, and it seriously helped me. I cannot thank you guys enough for the support and feedback.

Yes, Thomann is great. I have looked through some cases there, pretty neat ;)

Hi @Lugia, thanks again for some solid advice. These are some awsome looking rack housings, and would definitely support my needs, however, I am not in the US. I live in Norway, a bit far away you could say. But for now, I allready have a 19" rack. I bought some rack rails and built a 19" frame from some solid wood 2"by2", also functioning as some of the legs for the side-desk ;)

If the crypoto market allows, and I want to expand further from my first rack setup, I will definitely concider finding some similar rack housings to the ones you provided, giving they ship to Norway. It would be nice to be able to move my setup if I need to.

Btw, do you own any of the racks in your rack list here?

Hi, thanks for the tips @Mazz. I have a tiptop audio rack (a kit) that cam with the µZeus power supply and a 1000mA power adapter. But when I expand the rack to more rows, I will remove the Zeus and place a PSU behind the rack with some bus boards.

I came across the DOEPFER A-100DIY1 KIT 1 WITH DOEPFER 15V2.5 AMP TRANSFORMER, which comes with a power adaptor with 2.5A (I dont have to deal with the wall current), 2 x 22socket bus boards, and it also comes with 4 x 84HP rails! btw, the PSU delivers 1.2A, similar to the Doepfer PSU2.

Basically, to get my 2nd and 3rd row, I simply need some rack ears and Im good to go... buy modules

Somewhat attempt to the first row....

alt text

Wow! that is fantastic @Lugia. I'm so excited by this modular stuff, I can barely sit down. It is quite the makeover you did on the original rack, but to be fair, I have never built or used a Eurorack before, so I was pretty much guessing what modules I would need.

It makes a lot of sense when you explain the integration of each module you selected, and thank you for that, otherwise I would have a hard time understanding how this new setup would work. The positioning of the modules are also very clever concidering the potential mess with patch cables. When I build a 9U rack, I will build a power grid on the far backside of the system, and it should not be a problem. I have some wood laying around.

I also like the separation of voices, modulation, and control/effects on the different rows, didnt think of it like that before. I checked around on youtube to see some examples of the Gravitational Waves and the Atom, and they sound pretty awesome. They are quite big though, but I guess you get a lot out of them in contrast to the space they take. I was a littlebit "sad" that you removed the Iteritas Alter, but then again, I guess the Atom can produce similar results and more.

As a newbie to Eurorack, there is a lot to get my head around to understand the system that you produced, and in general, and I don't really know how to respond to the setup in any meaningful way, yet. I will have to think about this for a bit, but it looks great, and it makes a lot of sense the way you describe it. I am really thankful for the thought you put into this!

My biggest problem right now, is that I can only buy one row. I need to be able to use it effectively, as a one row system, but at the same time, have the ability to expand to a second row without sitting on modules I might no longer need. I will look at the setup and the way you intended it to work, and see if I can extract some modules to begin with. I will use the one-row system together with the Moog Grandmother, and the first row should, in my opinion, extend the capabilities of the Moog, add some new effects, patch capabilities, and possibly have another voice source. I'm not really sure what kind of modules would complement the Moog the best.

Concidering that I build the racks (19" server rack style), I have no problems expanding the size in the future. I can simply build another rack right next to it, and effectively get 2*84 HP. The rack I have now can fit a little more than 12U in height. A new rack besides it could be higher. But to fill these racks would be extremely expensive, and I dont see that happening anytime soon. The first row I will buy pretty soon, within next month. The second and third row will come sometime in the end of the year perhaps, also after a lot of playing around and learning more about this.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated!

I tried to replace the X-pan with something useful. I also replaced the 2HP MIDI to the MIDI Thing by Befaco.

Instead of the X-pan I included another envelope generator (FC system-X), and a MI Links utility module for better patch capabilities. For the final stereo output I thout of using the 2HP VCA...

In this setup I also swapped Intellijel Quad VCA to the new Veil

alt text

Yes I guess that would be fine, but maybe with the X-pan, I would spare some vcas? I have to start with the upper row, and I only have the new veil in that row (if I follow your suggestion, which I probably will). Additionally I do not have a proper output module on the upper row to begin with, and I planned on using the X-pan as a stereo output module to start with, and use the vcas available to control the volume... I'd rather avoid buying an output module twice.

I'll think about it for a bit... and post a revised plan for the upper row only in the thread

Hey Jim,

Thank a lot for your extensive feedback. I'm sorry I changed the rack from the original post, I was supposed to make an alternative rack. I like to experiment with sound design and music in different genres, but I primarily focus on sound design for film scoring but also melodic electronic music with interesting polyrythms.

I already have the 19" rack, but with no side or back walls, only the front. I made the rack as part of one of my bechtops where I have the Moog Grandmother on top. I also have the µZeus power module and one 19" Eurorack from TipTop audio. I do not have a back panel to connect a larger power connector unit, but I guess I can build that later when I expand the rack. It's a great idea to avoid all these power supplies in the panel itself, but for the first row, and beginning of the rack, this will be the supply for now.

Thanks for the tip on new veils, it looks great, and I love to save some HP :) It has been difficult to plan and imagine what I would need with basically zero experience, besides playing around with the Moog synth. You're right, I dont need the input module either, hehe, and probably I will not use instrument input very often anyways.

Fot the mixing, I was looking first at the Roland 531, but it was so big, and I thought with the Addac, and a simple output, I would have the option of using the addac as a VCA as well as a mixer. If I went for the 531 I would probably not need the X-pan, but I really liked the ways to produce interesting stereo images from the X-pan, and I really want it, I think.

I will look into the fx aid xl, I was never sure about the dual fx anyways.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm planning on building a Eurorack in a standard 19" rack. Given there are so many modules, different functions, and use-cases, I feel like I might have missed some critical components. I have a Moog Grandmother I plan on playing together with this, as well as integrating this to Cubase, and control certain triggers and sequences from the DAW. I plan on starting with (buying) row 1 (upper 84 HP), and expand as I get used to things and save up some more money. Therefore, row 1 is the most important to begin with. So, what do you think about the setup?

alt text