Big thanks to everyone for the comprehensive replies! Much appreciated.

plaits with steppy?
tiny case:
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for the heads up on steppy. Will have to do more research on the sequencer. Maybe a Scales would do the trick?
Re tiny case: I get what you're saying but desktop space is a concern for me. I think I'd rather be swapping out modules than having most of my desk taken over by a half-empty behemoth of a case. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere between the two - will have to keep looking.

@kossu did you buy any chance get inspired by one (or more) minimalist setup videos from Rick Tinez ?
-- toodee

Mostly by a guy named Ihor, although I'm familiar with your reference. And the answer is yes, I have been inspired by the minimalist setup videos :)

Consider a Behringer 2600, also.
Another learning tool: VCV Rack.
-- Lugia

Excellent suggestions, especially the VCV Rack is exactly what I need. Thanks.

More general takeaways from here: do more research, look into a slightly bigger case (but not much, for aforementioned reasons) and try to better match the comparative sizes of the modules. Less fx, more utilities (that one I kind of figured out already :)

Hello Grid,

My first time posting here after spending the better part of the week trying to figure out what I'd need for a solid starter techno rack for standalone playing. I've been working with mostly digital gear in the past and now wanted to give modular a shot. Does this make sense to you, as in, would you enjoy playing a set using this and a midi keyboard only?

view rack

The basic idea is to sequence BIA through PNW and Plaits through Steppy. IV for effects and Lapsus for general noodling with values. I thought Polaris would be a good fit for a general purpose filter.

I'm not exactly sure if the number of VCA's is sufficient. There's the 2hp VCA to help with that, but also I just threw it in because it fit. USB power is there for a midi keyboard and, again, because there was leftover room. I've inverted the rack for easier plumbing. I would appreciate any thoughts on this and critique is especially welcome since it's my first eurorack with a price tag north of 2500€ in the EU.